• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 3 |OT| Yes the game exists and yes it’s coming out soon.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Word of warning for PC folk. This apparently uses Gamespy for its multiplayer. No I'm not joking. Fuck sake.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Can you verify this? I thought the PC version was only available on Steam? That makes no sense.

On the Steam discussions there's an awful lot of chatter about Gamespy and about how it's not working properly for this game. Yes you need a Gamespy ID. I'm not fuckin joking. I thought this shit was killed off years ago.

I can verify later when my copy unlocks.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
On the Steam discussions there's an awful lot of chatter about Gamespy and about how it's not working properly for this game. Yes you need a Gamespy ID. I'm not fuckin joking. I thought this shit was killed off years ago.

I can verify later when my copy unlocks.

Holy crap, that is amazing. Why would they do that? Why? Please post back later with your experiences.

It's actually a prequel to Lost Planet 1 and 2 storywise.
I know, but I was actually looking for reasons to why there were cars, parking lots, abandoned buildings and whatnot in those games. I thought colonization took place way before Gail came in the picture, and not during.

Now I'm just confused!
I did really like Lost Planet 1 though.

Get 3 friends. Hop online, have the time of your fuckin life. LP2 is technically the dream game of people who liked LP1's multiplayer and overall experience, despite the negative response.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well done Capcom, the release date was a mistake and it's changed to the 30th August now. I could VPN it but I wouldn't be able to try the multi anyway. Bah.

Haunted

Word of warning for PC folk. This apparently uses Gamespy for its multiplayer. No I'm not joking. Fuck sake.
:lol

GFWL getting discontinued? Well fuck, how are we supposed to sabotage our online now? Boom, Gamespy. Capcom :bow

GameSpy ? There are not enough laughing gifs on the internet to reply with.

Edit - Maybe the request to use GameSpy went like this -

faxjjyor.gif

Review(redband with a couple cuss words:)

Spoilered just because, no plot points are given away.
Long and short of it.

Pros
Way more enjoyable than I thought.
Departure from games 1 and 2 in some of the gameplay choices
Music is amazing
Overall gameplay is good
Voice acting and animation is spot on. Love the main actor and his type of character.

Cons
FPS during some cut-scenes and heavy particle effects
Hook doesn't work everywhere but that makes it a bit less chaotic(which is ok with me)
Too many loading screens in the main location
Slower pace and side quests may frustrate those looking for constant action.

Verdict:
I suggest people buy it on sale. Its not bad, in fact its surprisingly robust but its a departure from the first 2 which means its up in the air if people will enjoy it.
I felt that the slower pace, side quests, atmosphere, and overall tone was very interesting.
I do not feel my money was poorly spent, not at all, but i know expectations are mixed on this one and I think reactions will be as well.

God damn it, I think you may have sold me on this, I need something new to hold me over until GTAV. Gamestop's got a 50% bonus thing going on and I have a few games to trade in, perhaps I can get this without paying anything for it.

TentPole

So ummm... I think I like this game. 4 hours in on hard and am really loving the slow pace and focus on atmosphere and exploration.

Anyone playing the pc version? I'm contemplating on getting this.

From the gameplay I saw online, graphically it seemed quite impressive, especially the facial animation and faces in general.

Karak

God damn it, I think you may have sold me on this, I need something new to hold me over until GTAV. Gamestop's got a 50% bonus thing going on and I have a few games to trade in, perhaps I can get this without paying anything for it.

Honestly at that price I would see NOTHING wrong with getting the game.

From the gameplay I saw online, graphically it seemed quite impressive, especially the facial animation and faces in general.
Ya I bought the PC version as well. Only played it a bit so far(fucking MP is whacked out) but the GFX are a good step up and as you said the facial animation, lip synch, and the audio really do make some parts of the game very impressive.

So ummm... I think I like this game. 4 hours in on hard and am really loving the slow pace and focus on atmosphere and exploration.
So stoked to here this. I really do feel that the Freelancer feel comment was right on and I was wondering if other people would feel what I talked about in my review. Awesome news.

Adam Blue

I'm also playing on PC. While nothing amazing, the graphics have a very professional look to it. Nothing laggy or messy, nice textures, animations, menus, etc. 60fps with barely a drop. As a whole it's a well-made game.

I'm only about an hour in, but it's pretty fun. I started on medium but hard would have been the better choice.

Played about 3 hours in and that mission that has you going up the mountain was pretty rad. The low scores 4 scores are pretty misleading.

Remember seeing Lost Planet 2 at E3 one year with that salamander (Gordian) demo. From that point on I was really, really, really into Lost Planet. Like, really. Yet I couldn't care less about LP3.

TentPole

Steam is pushing a whopping 7.5 GB update. Wonder what it is for.

As far as the game goes I am about 7 and half hours into it on hard and the further I get the more the lack of polish and other flaws stand out but they aren't stopping me from having a good time.

I think alot of people are going to pick this up cheap on a steam sell and be surprised by how good of a game it really is.

Furio53

Steam is pushing a whopping 7.5 GB update. Wonder what it is for.

As far as the game goes I am about 7 and half hours into it on hard and the further I get the more the lack of polish and other flaws stand out but they aren't stopping me from having a good time.

I think alot of people are going to pick this up cheap on a steam sell and be surprised by how good of a game it really is.

I believe it's the High Res cinematic binks

Yuripaw

Banned
I admit I was one of those people who was really ready to dismiss this game. Capcom has been really out of it lately, and Spark being the developer did not inspire any confidence in me. However, after seeing some of the game from Giantbomb, I gotta admit...it has piqued my interest. I really like how the character and story stuff seems to be well done, even if the gameplay itself is nothing stellar.

So I played a couple hours of this and I actually like it. The characters are all pretty believable and I love the mech.

Between this, The Bureau, and Remember Me I'm starting to think that there's either something wrong with me or every reviewer.

I actually like what I've read about this game. And the video samples I've seen show the lead to be much more appealing when voiced/animated than expected. Never judge a character by screenshots it would seem.

Will pick it up for 360 when a mid-term sale pops up. Not a specific slight on this game as I rarely buy anything at or even near initial asking price nowadays.

Karak

I actually like what I've read about this game. And the video samples I've seen show the lead to be much more appealing when voiced/animated than expected. Never judge a character by screenshots it would seem.

Will pick it up for 360 when a mid-term sale pops up. Not a specific slight on this game as I rarely buy anything at or even near initial asking price nowadays.
Exactly and one of the more interesting leads in a long time. Voice acting is spot on and so is the overall emotion.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played for 3 - 4 hours and so far I really really like it. It's feels very different from the other Lost Planets. For a start they are doing a great job at building an atmosphere, I love being out on my own on missions in the snow, wind, ice caverns etc. It looks very nice, I'm really digging the colour schemes and the art style. On PC especially it looks great and of course the higher FPS help too. The pace is also a lot more subdued compared to the other ones. There's still action of course but they're taking their time to tell the story and that's fine by me. I'm really liking the story itself and the characters so far, they come across very naturally and Jims voice actor is especially great. The combat has been fun so far, the shotgun especially sounds fantastic and everything feels punchy. I'm also loving how weighty and different the mech is compared to the other games. It's a thrill to block an Akrid, lift them up and proceed to dig into them with your mech drill. There's a real satisfaction to it.

It's hard to explain but it just feels 'different' from other shooters I've played recently. It's got a vibe I'm really enjoying and whether or not I like the whole game I don't know but so far I'm very impressed. Liking it a lot. Worry not, despite the reviews this isn't another Turning Point.

highrider

Banned
Glad to hear the game has some good qualities. Are there any energy weapons or special weapons like the previous games?

Haunted

The mocap performances in certain cutscenes and small vignettes are probably the best thing about this game. Really well-acted.

So I played a couple hours of this and I actually like it. The characters are all pretty believable and I love the mech.

Between this, The Bureau, and Remember Me I'm starting to think that there's either something wrong with me or every reviewer.
Three solid games.

But "solid" isn't enough, so the publisher doesn't spend a ton on PR/marketing. A lack of interest leads to a lack of coverage leads to a lack of interest. And in the gaming industry, that is worse than a game being really bad or really great.

Colonial Marines got way more attention than these games.

It is not you, trust me. So many games are created for the expectations of becoming the next Call of Duty, Battlefield, GTA or whatever popular franchise, that the games creeping away from such a genre automatically get demoted a couple of points from sites like IGN/Gamespot.

It might not be a 9/10 game, but the overall rating system has been so flawed this last generation that you can not give games like The Bureau and Remember Me a high score any longer, even though they actually deserve it.

But when you give games like GTA IV an automatic 10/10, there is something wrong with your ratings.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think I will get this on sale eventually. The main actor Bill Watterson is a host on the Tuesday Smodco Morning Show and is a hilarious dude and has been talking about the game for a year now. I want it to do well for him.

So basically, the best thing about this game is the cutscenes but the gameplay is bland?

And this was a series that once had great arcadey gameplay?

Fucking Capcom.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So basically, the best thing about this game is the cutscenes but the gameplay is bland?

And this was a series that once had great arcadey gameplay?

Fucking Capcom.

I think the gameplay is perfectly fine, really enjoying it. The weapons have a lot of weight and punch to them.

Nemesis_

Honestly this is actually quite enjoyable. The atmosphere is laid on thick and it feels just right.

But for the love of god, will I ever get a fast travel option? PLEASE say yes.

Serra

Gamespy?

AHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished and overall I really enjoyed that. I can finally say I really liked a Spark Unlimited game :p Not tried multiplayer yet, really can't be arsed dealing with Gamespy for now. Really enjoyed the story overall and especially the voice acting. I mean the story was nothing special but it was told well and the cast were good. I also loved the fact that most of the voice cast weren't the usual suspects. I couldn't hear any Nolan North, Troy Baker etc and they were all just as good. Bill Waterson was especially great as Jim. I'm not gonna say 'rush out and buy this at full price' but if you see it in a sale and fancy giving it a go, don't worry, it's not a 'Turning Point'

Nemesis_

I've just beaten the second (?) boss
Hiveen
the one with the
floppy tongue

This game really is inspired a lot by Dead Space / Alien / Prometheus. I suppose it's not necessarily a bad thing, but the inspirations are really obvious and/or apparent.

EDIT: Wait, does anyone now how to defeat the second form of
Hiveen?
It's really hard to evade it's attacks :/

Top Bottom