• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Age Origins (PS3)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
header.jpg

I’m surprised this game isn’t talked about outside of the games forums and here’s my lttp hot take.

Origins remains a favorite of mine, to have the honor to play it just the second time since its 2009 launch its a wildly underrated game, the combat and everything on the screen can get shaky, the fire looks pixilated but I think the story is boring in a good way. Not every game has to be fascinating, boring is great for the soul.

117781171.jpg

I think there’s an animosity towards dragon age origins Ferelden. Todays open world games let you go directly to different locations than there’s Ferelden which hosts a bunch of locations but can’t even connect them correctly, having to load between cities and houses is a hard pill to swallow.

Taking the combat, and location out the game exists somewhere in the knights and dragons and kings and queens age. I was intrigued by the species, the werewolves, golums, dwarves etc. the moment I visited Orzammar I knew this would be a memorable game.

4.jpg

Dwarves homeworld.

I’ll give the game credit on its story and villain. It’s a wildly successful format, and brilliant. But today if you aren’t sexy, have celebrities etc. people think less of your game. I think the darkspawn, the grey wardens, elf’s and arch demon make the game 200% better.

4-image002.jpg

Morrigan, one of your squad mates.

IMG-4050.jpg

An 86.

Unfortunately the theme, length and combat are a hard pass for most people and I understand it.

To me how the hell isn’t there a remaster? People seem fine with a last of us remaster and it just makes sense for this game.

What did GAF think of DAO? Have your tastes in games changed?

Zug

Tbh, Dragon Age Origins was a bit disappointing to me at the time, coming from the creators of Baldur's Gate.
But it was still a great game that popularized the cRPG genre on consoles.

RavageX

Wow. There was a PS3 version?
That's where I played it originally.

IF they did not mess with the core game and remade it, I think I'd like that.

Meaning...leave the character designs mostly alone, leave the dialogue alone.

I don't want to see Morrigan looking like....well, how they make most women look in games these days.

Thinking back on that, I found her to be a very interesting character. Most of the party WERE interesting. Can't say that about some RPGS now. The characters seem to lack real motivation, or personality quirks. Its usually, HEY IM YOUR PARTY MEMBER. I have a QUEST FOR YOU TO HELP ME WITH.

Robochobo

Bioware's best RPG IMO. Yes, even moreso than Mass Effect and I'm a huge fan of 1&2. World building is unparalleled in regards to how well thought out it is. I always wished they'd go back to the combat system of KotoR or DAO but I'm in the minority in that regard. Feel like everyone should give Origins and Awakening a chance, if only to see what the absolute peak of Bioware once was.

Power Pro

DAO's story is so much better than BG3's it's almost kind of depressing. The genre has made great strides in terms of gameplay but definitely not in terms of narrative
Wait...DOA is BETTER than BG3? Really doesn't say much for all the praise that BG3 has been getting ever since it released, geez. I enjoyed DOA more than most games of this type, but the story was so damn forgettable to me. I couldn't tell you what happened.

blackjon24

While it was not my first western rpg, this is the game that really made me realize that wrpg have much to offer that I could not get from jrpgs. Would definitely support it if it came to modern consoles

StereoVsn

I do like Da Origins on PC. There was a decent amount of QoL mods from what I remember as well.

And yeah, a spruced up DA:Origins Ultimate in same vein as ME Legendary Edition would be nice.

Edit: Also, no, it wasn't better than BG3. That’s a ridiculous thing to say considering how amazingly well designed BG3 is. However that doesn’t mean DA:O was a bad game. On the contrary it was quite good.

Last edited:

shaddam

Both games are discounted right now, and they are on my wishlist for months... I would pull the trigger but my backlog is full of long RPGs

Edit: I just realised that I have it on my PSN account

Last edited:

Regginator

I remember giving it a shot on the PS3 back then and thought "wow, this sucks ass", and then about 10 years later (last year) I played it on PC and it felt like a different game. Generally speaking it holds up really well. Gameplay is great and characters are memorable, the lore and world-building is interesting, and visually speaking it doesn't look too bad (though the visual design is kinda drab).

But the story itself was pretty forgettable. It's a very average "save the world" kinda story, and as such it was implemented very averagely. By contrast, I think DA2 had the better (or at least less average) story, relatively smaller in scale which I thought was a nice change of pace, but then BioWare had to downgrade pretty much everything else in it.

If DA:O and DA2 could've had baby, I think that would make for some great offspring. Inquisition was more like DA:O in that regard. Great gameplay (though not as much as Origins imo), but story was again your average "save the world from the big baddie". The ending of Inquisition, and what looks to be the premise of Dread Wolf, is pretty fascinating though.

Top Bottom