• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually saw movie for the first time back in March. Why post now? Because it was half a year ago and i still think about this movie almost everyday. It's just amazing.
It's the best Michael Mann movie i saw and one of the best movies of all time.
What i liked the most about movie's plot is how De Niro and his crew are not just thungs. They are smart, they are careful. They value friendship.
After bank heist in any other movie De Niro
would've abandoned Val Kilmer's character, when he got shot, but not in here, he runs to him, because friendship stands first.
Cinematography is usual Michael Mann's greatness. Score and music are amazing. So many memorable scenes. That fucking shootout. ON MY GOD. These gun sounds.
And that ending. I actually knew what happens at the end before going in, and saw an ending shot, but it still was amazing.

- Told you i'm never going back
- Yeah

And then music hits and it's just perfect.
You see everything in Al Pacino's eeys at this moment.
If you didn't see Heat - watch it this weekend.
Are there any crime movies that compare in scope, acting, music, action, drama and cinematography?

favorite shootout scene ever and one of my favorite ending scenes ever

also michael mann's aerial blue filtered LA is the kind of stuff i dream about

Heat, to me, is a perfect movie. There aren't many perfect movies, and movie perfection goes beyond director or actors or content. It's a combination of many factors, but regardless of what those criteria are, Heat is the heist masterpiece you didn't see coming and has yet to be challenged.

between pacino's stare in godfather movies and the ending of this i'm pretty convinced he might have actually killed a man.

poor man's heat with a really corny ending.

Agreed, plus you actually felt sympathy towards DeNiro's character and his crew in Heat minus Sizemore once
he took a little girl hostage.

Affleck's crew was a bunch of douchebags who deserved to get taken down in The Town.

between pacino's stare in godfather movies and the ending of this i'm pretty convinced he might have actually killed a man.

7f3e4143_tumblr_l96dm0KNZF1qbmmkpo1_500.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
One of my favourite parts of Heat?

Pacino acts that way because originally his character was a cocaine addict. Then they cut all of that out. And he's just loud for no obvious reason. Which just makes the film because he, out of nowhere, starts destroying the scenery through boisterous acting.

Heat, to me, is a perfect movie. There aren't many perfect movies, and movie perfection goes beyond director or actors or content. It's a combination of many factors, but regardless of what those criteria are, Heat is the heist masterpiece you didn't see coming and has yet to be challenged.

Nah, I can't follow you there. Don't get me wrong, it's great and vast and sweeping and you feel like it's been three hours well spent on the couch. Definitely one of my favorite films.

But its not a perfect movie. The one thing that never works for me whenever I rewatch Heat is that darn romance Neil has with whats her face. I just don't buy it. Maybe it's due to the fact that DeNiro has zero chemistry with Amy Brenneman. Maybe it's cause it feels farfetched that she actually came around to his whole idea of going away to Fiji after he basically kidnapped her. Maybe the movie doesn't spend enough time fleshing out their relationship. But it doesn't really work for me. I kinda just go along with it because the movie needs you to buy it to move along towards the end goal.

I mean, you cant fault Mann too much for dropping the ball on this one part, since the movie is covering about 10 different things and really telling the overall story of an entire city. That's a lot on any director's plate. I imagine Mann keeping ten different spinning plates up in the air and only dropping one. That's still an impressive feat, and at the end of the day I'd rather have a hugely ambitious film with a slight failing then a movie that plays it safe. But it's not a perfect film. When I think of perfect films, I think of something like Aliens or Stand By Me. Movies where you can't find fault in a single frame.

DeathyBoy

Banned
But its not a perfect movie. The one thing that never works for me whenever I rewatch Heat is that darn romance Neil has with whats her face. I just don't buy it. Maybe it's due to the fact that DeNiro has zero chemistry with Amy Brenneman. Maybe it's cause it feels farfetched that she actually came around to his whole idea of going away to Fiji after he badically kidnapped her. Maybe the movie doesn't spend enough time fleshing out their relationship. But it doesn't really work for me. I kinda just go along with it because the movie needs you to buy it to move along towards the end goal.

It's there to put across that ultimately Neil is incapable of leaving the criminal life behind. He could walk away with her, but puts revenge first. Then he goes to her but sees the heat coming, so he follows his rule and flees. It's in contrast to Pacino, who shows a desire to fight for his relationship regardless of whether it makes sense.

Ecotic

It's an amazing movie. I'm really not a fan of Pacino's performance though, it's Pacino in over the top, screamy mode. It'd be near perfect with someone else in that role.

eot

Banned
One of my all time favourite movies. I love the pacing, there are so many quiet moments yet it never feels too slow. Waingro pisses me off every time though, that fucker wasn't worth dying over. Also, the reason the shoot out sounds so good is that they used real guns that fired blanks.

It's an amazing movie. I'm really not a fan of Pacino's performance though, it's Pacino in over the top, screamy mode. It'd be near perfect with someone else in that role.

Supposedly Mann had originally written Pacino's character to be a coke user but changed it at same point, which explains his erratic, over the top behavior.

I remember watching this show in the cinema. The SOUNDS from the DEM GUNS!! Holy crap...it was like you're really there!!

One of my favourite movies. De Niro and Pacino scene....so good. How often do you the protagonist (De Niro) and Pacino (the antagonist) sitting down for a chat without going at each other's throat or even flaring up?

MercuryLS

Banned
I remember watching this show in the cinema. The SOUNDS from the DEM GUNS!! Holy crap...it was like you're really there!!

One of my favourite movies. De Niro and Pacino scene....so good. How often do you the protagonist (De Niro) and Pacino (the antagonist) sitting down for a chat without going at each other's throat or even flaring up?

I don't get why other directors can't capture gunshots anywhere near as well as Mann can. They were amazing in Collateral too. It really grounds the movies when you hear the load gunshots echo off the the walls. It's far more chilling to see an execution for example.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't like this movie at all. There was something about it that just made it so bad, but I can't remember any more. I watched it a few years ago after I saw the Pacino ass scene.

Kiru

You can even see Pacino spitting on his jacket in the "great ass" scene if you watch it in HD. :D

Aselith

I didn't like this movie at all. There was something about it that just made it so bad, but I can't remember any more. I watched it a few years ago after I saw the Pacino ass scene.

Yeah I hate it because it's too good. Spoils other shit for me. FUCK YOU, MANN

DaciaJC

Gold Member
My favorite film. I make a point of watching it at the end of each semester as a way of celebrating.

IISANDERII

Reading this thread made me want to listen to the Heat theme track. My search kept coming up empty until I realized the track I was looking for was done by Moby! Holy shit, how could I have not known? 20yrs of ignorance...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
One of the best movies ever, for me. Mann actually topped himself with Insider after this, and then he kinda faded away. Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom