• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild; Breath of the Boredom

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
not too shabby for game journalism but he exposed himself as a pleb the second he said "most stop collecting at 30-50". rookie numbers

and I'm still laughing at the ppl complaining about weapon durability in a game that spoonfeeds you weapons.
It sure is fun carrying 10 different weapons that break after a few hits!

agreed

For those complaining about the world... it actually feels alive and organic, while other popular open-world games feel like stiff plastic backdrops that immediately break the sense of wonder.

That quickly became hard to watch.

All the high resolution textures in the world mean shit if you're just clipping though everything around you. Mario 64 had more environmental interaction than this.

I just cant help the feeling that the over the top praise came about as a response to the real worry that Nintendo could have been fucked pre march 2017 with the wii u failure and mobile phones. Fans wanted Nintendo to succeed, so making the narrative that this launch game was an absolute ‘must have’ and literally the best game ever, made sense in order to hype Switch sales.

You just have a different opinion than others, which is fine, but making a conspiracy theory out of people liking something you don't is kind of silly. I find it odd that people create entire fantasy scenarios to explain someone's differing opinion instead of just accepting that different people have different opinions and enjoy different things. Why is that so hard for some people to accept? Just because you dislike something doesn't mean everyone should.

This guy explains exactly why I prefer the design of BotW over story-driven open world games like RDR2 or Horizon:ZD. I've posted this video on GAF before but it exactly matches my opinion of open world games. The video is about RDR2 but a lot of the subject matter pertains to most of the open-world games on the market.

kiiltz

SDZax5H.png

Stop equipping tree branches and torches. Lawdy imagine being this bad at a game for kids.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
SDZax5H.png

Stop equipping tree branches and torches. Lawdy imagine being this bad at a game for kids.
Durability is shit.

joe_zazen

That quickly became hard to watch.

All the high resolution textures in the world mean shit if you're just clipping though everything around you. Mario 64 had more environmental interaction than this.

You just have a different opinion than others, which is fine, but making a conspiracy theory out of people liking something you don't is kind of silly. I find it odd that people create entire fantasy scenarios to explain someone's differing opinion instead of just accepting that different people have different opinions and enjoy different things. Why is that so hard for some people to accept? Just because you dislike something doesn't mean everyone should.

This guy explains exactly why I prefer the design of BotW over story-driven open world games like RDR2 or Horizon:ZD. I've posted this video on GAF before but it exactly matches my opinion of open world games. The video is about RDR2 but a lot of the subject matter pertains to most of the open-world games on the market.

Who says i dislike it? Just commenting on the lack of dissent, except for Sterling who was crucified for his 7. Positing that reviewers who chose to review Zelda were probably Zelda and Nintendo fans almost exclusively, and that Nintendo fans at the Switch launch were worried about their favourite game company’s future because of wiiu failure and the threat of mobile and so wanted to push for their success isn’t ridiculous. It is just a confluence of things that turned the narrative around a solid game into ‘greatest game ever’! Similar shit happens with rockstar stuff.

I prefer when there is a diversity of opinions and fanbases are not out for blood, so I found the discussion around zelda botw obnoxious...same for gtaV.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Watching that video makes me think R* spends so much time and budget to make their world as detailed and realistic as possible but they completely forget about giving us fun game to play. I might get shit for this but my biggest reason western developers frustrate me these days is as we get better tech and as we get more realistic graphics, western developers are much more interested giving us this super immersive and movie like story than fun and interesting gameplay. They willing to sacrifice combat and even proper control in order give us that immersive experience, they basically lost that "gamey" feel back in PS2 days. The reason why I love Japanese games to this day even tho story can cheesy at times or their graphics is no technical marvel because they haven't lost that "gamy" feel to them and so much fun to play which my biggest reason even getting in to this hobby in the first place.

Komatsu

BOTW is a very good game - great even - but look at it too closely and soon you realize that though it does almost everything it sets itself to do very well, nothing about it is original. Nintendo cribbed from dozens of different open world games and sub-genres, from Ubisoft's "reach tower X to unlock this part of the map" to Team Ico's lore-light, stamina-driven climbing mechanics seen in Shadow of the Colossus.

That being said, the fact that they finally decided to add voice acting to a Zelda game and them skimped on the voice-acting is incredibly annoying. The voices were also terrible, Zelda's being particularly nauseating - were this a SEGA or Square game, people would be mocking it to no end. But it's a Nintendo game, so they're given a pass.

cireza

You skipped the part where the gameplay and puzzles are actually fun to do and exploration in itself is fun. By your metrics everything that isn't a CRPG with slowly rising arbitrary numbered stats is pointless and a bad game. i.e what's the point of completing levels in Mario Galaxy. You don't get anything except progression to another level.
Bad examples as I hate levelling stats and skill trees as well as 3D Mario games. Traversal in Zelda is not fun. No skill is required, and if you stray away from the main road you are rewarded by seeds or sanctuaries. This is boring at best.

A game like Recore does not reward you with much better stuff but traversal is very fun.

I dont understand why people find it hard to believe that someone doesnt like BOTW. Ive been playing games since forever, it was the first game that I got with the Switch and maybe first 4-5 hours I was intrigued, afterwards I just wanted to finish it so I can say I played it but for me personally, it was boring as hell. I was not immersed into the universe whatsoever. Ibeat it at 2pm, by 5pm the game was sold and I deleted my save file. Have absolutely ZERO interest to even try BOTW 2 for free even.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Bad examples as I hate levelling stats and skill trees as well as 3D Mario games. Traversal in Zelda is not fun. No skill is required, and if you stray away from the main road you are rewarded by seeds or sanctuaries. This is boring at best.

A game like Recore does not reward you with much better stuff but traversal is very fun.
I personally highly disagree with you on that.
giphy.gif

0C6mcQS.gif

tumblr_omk710cqxp1w1940do1_500.gif

I dont understand why people find it hard to believe that someone doesnt like BOTW. Ive been playing games since forever, it was the first game that I got with the Switch and maybe first 4-5 hours I was intrigued, afterwards I just wanted to finish it so I can say I played it but for me personally, it was boring as hell. I was not immersed into the universe whatsoever. Ibeat it at 2pm, by 5pm the game was sold and I deleted my save file. Have absolutely ZERO interest to even try BOTW 2 for free even.
And you ask the question why some people hard time believing people enjoyed BotW? They mostly try justify by calling people "Nintendo fanboy" for enjoying BotW.

Last edited:

Conan-san

BOTW is a good game but not much of a Zelda, if that makes any sense.

That being said, I honestly feel Randomized OOT feels more like what an open world Zelda should feel like.

Danjin44 Danjin44

Where did I say I dont believe someone enjoyed the game? I say for me and obviously others, this game was downright boring. This topic discusses that but as always people come out of the woodwork to say how wrong he is and how BOTW is the best thing ever. If someone enjoys BOTW, great but dont try to convince me how this is better than anything else I played past or current.

Danjin44

Danjin44 Danjin44

Where did I say I dont believe someone enjoyed the game? I say for me and obviously others, this game was downright boring. This topic discusses that but as always people come out of the woodwork to say how wrong he is and how BOTW is the best thing ever. If someone enjoys BOTW, great but dont try to convince me how this is better than anything else I played past or current.
I'm not saying you say stuff like that, it just trying point out that same also having hard time believing people could enjoy BotW unless they are "Nintendo Fanboy". In the end it all comes down personal preference, it less about which other games "better" it matter which one you personally prefer.

MagnesG

Banned
Generally high end weapons will break after 40-50 hits, excluding champion weapons, ancients and master sword. Most endgame enemies could be killed just by 20 normal arrows headshots or one weapon by buttons mashing or 1/4 of said weapons with parry and dodge combos.
For me I used at least an elemental arrow for every high end encounters with 3/5 point shot bows (they consume only one)
Burn damage
Freezing 2x/ 3x damage
Electric damage, underwater or during rains
Bombs, they stack up everything.

Even white Lynels only used 1 and half weapons, some arrows and you get back 2 weapons and 1 bows, a damn good proposition. There's many tricks to conserve your durability, and pointlessly mashing attacks are dumb thing to do.

Guardians get wrecked by using ancient weapons, or sets. Only twice the eye shots with the bow, or just 1 time parry combos with weapons. Easy AF. The loot that you get will wreck at least 3 guardians more.

So no, it's not even breaking on a a few hits. At least 10 hits even for a tree branch, you could wreck early encounters at max using only 2 of those and you get all the weapons back and more. People are just dumb to use the mechanics properly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Generally high end weapons will break after 40-50 hits, excluding champion weapons, ancients and master sword. Most endgame enemies could be killed just by 20 normal arrows headshots or one weapon by buttons mashing or 1/4 of said weapons with parry and dodge combos.
For me I used at least an elemental arrow for every high end encounters with 3/5 point shot bows (they consume only one)
Burn damage
Freezing 2x/ 3x damage
Electric damage, underwater or during rains
Bombs, they stack up everything.

Even white Lynels only used 1 and half weapons, some arrows and you get back 2 weapons and 1 bows, a damn good proposition. There's many tricks to conserve your durability, and pointlessly mashing attacks are dumb thing to do.

Guardians get wrecked by using ancient weapons, or sets. Only twice the eye shots with the bow, or just 1 time parry combos with weapons. Easy AF. The loot that you get will wreck at least 3 guardians more.

So no, it's not even breaking on a a few hits. At least 10 hits even for a tree branch, you could wreck early encounters at max using only 2 of those and you get all the weapons back and more. People are just dumb to use the mechanics properly.
So you are forced to constantly cycle through the weapons, always go into the damn menu, just to get some more of the quickly broken weapons. Or you could just avoid wasting your time on fighting with enemies.

nowhat

Oh yeah, forgot about that 7/10. He stopped reviewing games for like a year after that.
No, he stopped reviewing games, full stop (he only does "Jimpressions" nowadays). Not immediately after his BOTW review, but the asinine reaction from Zelda fans must have helped.

MagnesG

Banned
So you are forced to constantly cycle through the weapons, always go into the damn menu, just to get some more of the quickly broken weapons. Or you could just avoid wasting your time on fighting with enemies.
Damn menu? There's quick select from dpad, maybe explore a bit. Sigh.
The more you use/break high grade the more powerful loot you get. Now for random encounters I got +21/+18 attack up, durability up+, quick shot, 5 burst shot weapons mods like water because I fight them all the time, I'm grinning for every endgame encounters. You don't use quickly broken weapons, unless it's strong, those weapons I throw at every chance I get, and easy, like 2 seconds tops. Or just drop them. But yeah, the menu system can be improved. now I have 40+ endgame weapons and to select a specific one in quick menu is still a long process.

Fight enemies for loot, for stronger weapons NEVER SKIP STRONG ENEMIES. Maybe skip low leveled enemies, even then you can one shot/one hit kill them, or just bomb arrows, I got hundreds of those, no effort at all. But at principle, skipping foes because of your inability to use the mechanics properly or too scared to lose your weapons are DUMB AF. Like I said, there are ways to remedy/conserve weapons durability, so treat them like bullets.

Also, learn from mistakes, I'm a noob too at the start but I'm not complaining on the system, it's there and it works.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Damn menu? There's quick select from dpad, maybe explore a bit. Sigh.
The more you use/break high grade the more powerful loot you get. Now for random encounters I got +21/+18 attack up, durability up+, quick shot, 5 burst shot weapons mods like water because I fight them all the time, I'm grinning for every endgame encounters. You don't use quickly broken weapons, unless it's strong, those weapons I throw at every chance I get, and easy, like 2 seconds tops. Or just drop them. But yeah, the menu system can be improved. now I have 40+ endgame weapons and to select a specific one in quick menu is still a long process.

Fight enemies for loot, for stronger weapons NEVER SKIP STRONG ENEMIES. Maybe skip low leveled enemies, even then you can one shot/one hit kill them, or just bomb arrows, I got hundreds of those, no effort at all. But at principle, skipping foes because of your inability to use the mechanics properly or too scared to lose your weapons are DUMB AF. Like I said, there are ways to remedy/conserve weapons durability, so treat them like bullets.
I do not need advice on the game anymore, I 100%ed it. But the weapon system is a disgrace. In the end, I just ran from enemies, used the master sword or threw some bombs. Using the breaking garbage weapons is just a waste of my time. Though unfortunately the main game content also liked to waste my time, e.g. with copious amounts of duplicate battle shrines.

MagnesG

Banned
I do not need advice on the game anymore, I 100%ed it. But the weapon system is a disgrace. In the end, I just ran from enemies, used the master sword or threw some bombs. Using the breaking garbage weapons is just a waste of my time. Though unfortunately the main game content also liked to waste my time, e.g. with copious amounts of duplicate battle shrines.
So don't use garbage weapons, easy.
Don't 100% if you don't feel like it. There's 20 of them over 140+ of shrines over a big ass map. I'm sure you used a map on the internet if your frequencies and low tolerances for shrine battles are this much. Skip. Fight Ganon, then stop.

Last edited:

Yoshi

So don't use garbage weapons, easy.
Don't 100% if you don't feel like it. There's 20 of them over 140+ of shrine. Skip. Fight Ganon, then stop.
1. I do not know in advance whether the shrine is a good one or a garbage shrine. When I have found it, I will complete it.
2. I am a major Zelda fan, I will not skip over a game just because it has a couple of shit mechanics (busywork / rpg stuff, breaking weapons).

MagnesG

Banned
1. I do not know in advance whether the shrine is a good one or a garbage shrine. When I have found it, I will complete it.
2. I am a major Zelda fan, I will not skip over a game just because it has a couple of shit mechanics (busywork / rpg stuff, breaking weapons).
I'm sorry not much I can say about that, though discovering the shrines in a natural way does help. I still don't have breath of the wild equipment set (have better amiibo sets though) because I can't find some of the last shrines.
You can skip a certain part of the game. I admit I hate test of strengths too in the endgame, too easy. But those will not invalidate other 100++ shrines that I encounter.

ROMhack

BOTW is a very good game - great even - but look at it too closely and soon you realize that though it does almost everything it sets itself to do very well, nothing about it is original. Nintendo cribbed from dozens of different open world games and sub-genres, from Ubisoft's "reach tower X to unlock this part of the map" to Team Ico's lore-light, stamina-driven climbing mechanics seen in Shadow of the Colossus.

That being said, the fact that they finally decided to add voice acting to a Zelda game and them skimped on the voice-acting is incredibly annoying. The voices were also terrible, Zelda's being particularly nauseating - were this a SEGA or Square game, people would be mocking it to no end. But it's a Nintendo game, so they're given a pass.

Hmm, for me very few games rival BotW in terms of aesthetics, which is precisely how it differentiates itself from other games of its ilk.

The experience of playing BotW is quite unlike the busywork-dominated experience of other open-world games. For lack of a better word, it's purer as all of the excess has been stripped away. The sumptuous art direction and serene music create experience that feels deliberately minimalist, which isn't something developers usually do well at all.

Basically, if most open-world games are a boistrous sympathy filled with strings, percussion, brass and vocals, then BotW is Glassworks by Phillip Glass.

It's like that scene in The Magic Mountain where Castorp goes wondering around in the snow for hours.

That's the most pretentious thing I'll write today.

Last edited:

dave_d

BOTW is a good game but not much of a Zelda, if that makes any sense.
That's my feeling on it as well. It took awhile for it to click for me and I'm enjoying the journey but if you play this expecting the Zelda formula this isn't it. Change the characters and names and people wouldn't even compare it to Zelda.

danielberg

Neophyte
hey guys

i just started this after getting a switch through work. started with zelda as ive always been a fan of said series.

but bloody hell is this boring.

does it get better as you go on or??
For the most part it doesnt in fact the beginning and eventide island is the best part of the game.. the more you play the worse it gets mostly because of shit balancing of weapons and enemies.
It got praise because its mostly the first open world game for many nintendo fans... for everyone else it basically does nothing new and is just the same time vampire as all the other open world games there really isnt much difference besides that most open world games look better from a visual point.
Its a more by the numbers open world game than it is a zelda game.

Last edited:

Pachi72

For me is was a huge disappointment. And can't lose count how many times I was walking in a dead environment

Jasagna

Neo Member
I was bored with it after about 20 hours.
Might still return to it. Eh.
The control scheme irritated me for some reason. Wanted to remap the pick up/action button if I recall but nope no remap option.

I've never been a Nintendo fanboy or any fanboy of anything tbh. It's either a good game or not. No free passes for any studio or any publisher.
Still waiting on Metroid Prime 4 :) Don't let me down Retro! /cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
There was a lot I liked about it, but I also found it to be really lacking in many ways. I think much of my disappointment stemmed from the mediocre world building. NPCs don't say or do much, the expansive world while having some gorgeous vistas was also mostly really empty and bland. They pushed the gameplay forward in a lot of ways, but everything else felt trapped in the past.

Aintitcool

Banned
If you are bored by BOTW. Get the fuck of video games and be an astronaut or something. Masterpiece game don't need you to waste its time.

MagnesG

Banned
It probably cemented the series to be a must buy for every main entry release. No matter how you hate the recent or the old ones, you gotta want to try the next one, hoping it will be good , or at least experiencing it at some point.

jadefire66

Does this game get better after the first hour or so? Played it in CEMU for the first time, framerate was around 30 on average. But the game is really boring. I liked it when I was in the first shrine doing puzzly stuff, but after that it's been nothing but walking, walking and more walking. It took forever to reach the next shrine and I got bored to death.

Vitacat

Does this game get better after the first hour or so? Played it in CEMU for the first time, framerate was around 30 on average. But the game is really boring. I liked it when I was in the first shrine doing puzzly stuff, but after that it's been nothing but walking, walking and more walking. It took forever to reach the next shrine and I got bored to death.
It took a few hours to really kick in for me, but then it became my overall favorite game. Complete the first area... get the parachute... get your first horse...

VAL0R

Banned
I'm usually an Xbox gamer exclusively these days, but I decided to put an ad on Craigslist asking to rent someone's Wii-U and BotW for 1 month for, I don't remember, $30.00 maybe? I was a huge fan of Ocarina back in the day and really wanted to try it. Anyway a guy bit on my ad and I had the game for a month. It was awesome and one of the best games I've ever played.

Gamernyc78

Banned
hey guys

i just started this after getting a switch through work. started with zelda as ive always been a fan of said series.

but bloody hell is this boring.

does it get better as you go on or??

It was boring and empty the whole ride through to the point I dropped it half way then forced myself to finish it. The divine beasts was some of the worst boss battles ever. I did enjoy Ganons fight however.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Zelda really only consists of two games to me. The original and this one. The rest have taken only bits of the original formula and made entire games around them. It’s kind of like only going to one Disney Park in a way, whereas Z1 and BOTW encompass every park AND a few of the resorts on property. “Experience The Challenge of Endless Adventure” Indeed.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
XBOX trolls or something ITT ??

You guys are wrong this game is only boring if you play it boring. It has limitless potential and is the most open world rpg action adventure. The game design was copied by many other games afterwords. You got a physics and elements system that gives you big opportunities to do so much. If you don't get inspired than you're the boring one.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

This is the only place where I see a bunch of people crapping on BotW. It's a very niche opinion that it's bad or boring. Personally it's my favorite game of all time, I still find myself coming back to it every so often to explore. If you hate exploration then I guess it might not be your type of game.

Last edited:
This is the only place where I see a bunch of people crapping on BotW. It's a very niche opinion that it's bad or boring. Personally it's my favorite game of all time, I still find myself coming back to it every so often to explore. If you hate exploration then I guess it might not be your type of game.

There exist people outside of this place that have criticized it. Yes, it is a small group that's doing that. So I don't understand why people go all out and defend it with all of their might. As if it's some sort of sacrilege. And, I do like exploration in games, in fact it's one of my favorite things to do. Yet this game doesn't do it very well in my book. The very first title in the series does exploration infinitely better.

Top Bottom