• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Saga [Updated as I watch]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna watch the shit out of EP 1-3. No one can stop me. I have no nostalgia towards Ep 4-6 so I don't think I'll be deterred by 1-3.
Haha I am only half kidding. I still rock my Darth Maul t-shirt.
episode 1 was pretty good and I actually quite like 3 but I really hate 2.

IV is probably my least favorite of all six.

It's not bad, but...

If you told me I had to watch a Star Wars movie right now, it definitely would not be A New Hope.

deadlast

But Han steps on his tail to show he's really there and not CG though!

This is pretty encouraging.

I think of those 2 added scenes like this; the first makes Han look like he is a very noble person (which is out of character), and the second make Han look like he doesn't give a shit if he lives or dies (which is also out of character). Han Solo only cares about himself, his ship and chewy. The only reason he gets involved in the rebellion is because he has the hots for Leia.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Haha I am only half kidding. I still rock my Darth Maul t-shirt.
episode 1 was pretty good and I actually quite like 3 but I really hate 2.

Love em or hate em, I want to get the full experience. The only bias I'm going to have is I want to like Jar Jar Binks just to spite people. From what I've heard, that may be impossible, but I'm going to try my damndest.

I think of those 2 added scenes like this; the first makes Han look like he is a very noble person (which is out of character), and the second make Han look like he doesn't give a shit if he lives or dies (which is also out of character). Han Solo only cares about himself, his ship and chewy. The only reason he gets involved in the rebellion is because he has the hots for Leia.

Makes sense. I didn't know that was an added scene. lol. I'm not up to date on what got changed.

Love em or hate em, I want to get the full experience. The only bias I'm going to have is I want to like Jar Jar Binks just to spite people. From what I've heard, that may be impossible, but I'm going to try my damndest.
You need to go deeper and play Shadows of the Empire on N64.

Game-Biz

I'm gonna watch the shit out of EP 1-3. No one can stop me. I have no nostalgia towards Ep 4-6 so I don't think I'll be deterred by 1-3.
Go in with the lowest expectations possible. They're ok for sci-fi films, but they really lack all the elements that made the original series so great. I personally hate the prequels, but even if you end up hating them too it's still something I think every Star Wars fan should watch. For instance, I'm becoming a huge Star Trek fan right now. I'm watching all the episodes, even the downright terrible ones people tell me not to waste my time on e.g. I'm about to start Voyager; it's not going to be easy to get through it all, but goddamn it I'm still gonna do it.

Ray Wonder

You need to go deeper and play Shadows of the Empire on N64.

If it's cannon let's get it. I ain't scurred.

EDIT: Fucking oouuch, my soul, why is it $90

Go in with the lowest expectations possible. They're ok for sci-fi films, but they really lack all the elements that made the original series so great. I personally hate the prequels, but even if you end up hating them too it's still something I think every Star Wars fan should watch. For instance, I'm becoming a huge Star Trek fan right now. I'm watching all the episodes, even the downright terrible ones people tell not to waste my time on e.g. I'm about to start Voyager; it's not going to be easy to get through it all, but goddamn it I'm still gonna do it.

I don't really have any expectations for them. They'll be good or bad, and I'm OK with that. One thing I have an advantage over a lot of people with, is that I'm not a good movie critic. I'm usually like "Holy shit that was the best". When I'm done with a decent movie.

tuffy

Their whole relationship was made up on the fly and its very noticeable. I always love how "From my point of view the Jedi are evil" gets shit on, while the equally stupid "So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view." gets a pass.
RotJ feels purposefully built to defuse all the conflicts setup by ESB in the least dramatic ways possible. Luke finds out his trusted mentor had lied about his father at the end of ESB. So rather than have a confrontation and some possible character growth, we get that "certain point of view" line and all is forgiven. Or instead of having a Luke-Han-Leia love triangle where somebody has to make a difficult choice, suddenly two of them are related and the problem evaporates.

I think it could've been so much better.

Gonna be rewatching the movies myself soon (originally saw OT first then prequels).

I'm gonna try the Machete order out this time. Dunno if OP is aware of it but it's this order:

IV - V - I - II - III - VI

That preserves all the plot twists (except for one at the very end of III that you'd normally find out in VI but it'll still make you go wtf either way), plus keeps IV and VI where they belong, at the beginning and end.

Ray Wonder

Gonna be rewatching the movies myself soon (originally saw OT first then prequels).

I'm gonna try the Machete order out this time. Dunno if OP is aware of it but it's this order:

IV - V - I - II - III - VI

That preserves all the plot twists (except for one at the very end of III but it'll still make you go wtf), plus keeps IV and VI where they belong, at the beginning and end.

Are these the plot twists that have become ingrained into popular culture as the common "epitome of spoilers"? I know nothing about 1-3, except that Darth Maul exists. I know a bunch about 4-6 from just being alive.

It's not canon. Disney reset canon when they bought Lucas, so the only pre-2014 (or was it 13?) canon material outside of the movies is the Clone Wars cartoon.

Cool, I probably wouldn't have bought a $90 N64 game.

Are these the plot twists that have become ingrained into popular culture as the common "epitome of spoilers"? I know nothing about 1-3, except that Darth Maul exists. I know a bunch about 4-6 from just being alive.

Yes. The big one is in V. The one I mentioned is not as big as that but still important.

Its hard to explain exactly why I agree with that order of watching the movies since this is your first time going through them and I don't want to reveal anything. Maybe others can chime in on if they agree with the order or are OT-First purists.

Oh, it's not impossible. He's actually kinda funny. Hilarious even when you think about how much people hate him for it.

Mega

Banned
Furthermore, Luke all of a sudden being able to fly the rebels combat spacecrafts while having 0 training is the most wtf-ish thing I've seen in a movie.

Why? First of all, he doesn't have zero training. Luke is a skilled pilot with a circle of pilot friends. He planned to go to the Imperial Academy to become a combat pilot. He owned a fast suborbital ship that he frequently used for precise shooting practice on small targets and high speed racing with dangerous maneuvers. His T-16 ship is similar to an X-Wing and actually made by the same company. At one point he suggests they don't need Han and could just buy their own spaceship which he would then fly. This strongly implies his flexibility and ability to fly more than one type of ship. A few scenes later he jumps into one of the Falcon's gun wells, adjusts quickly and shoots down TIEs.

It's not a stretch that Luke could fly a basic ship like the X-Wing and do a serviceable job especially with the Force aiding him. I think Wedge's crazy maneuvers during the battle show that Luke was good in a believable way but still had room to grow. He almost smashed into the Death Star, let himself be tailed and could not break free, took a hit that caused damage, got hit again (R2) and was nearly shot down a third time.

Oersted

RotJ feels purposefully built to defuse all the conflicts setup by ESB in the least dramatic ways possible. Luke finds out his trusted mentor had lied about his father at the end of ESB. So rather than have a confrontation and some possible character growth, we get that "certain point of view" line and all is forgiven. Or instead of having a Luke-Han-Leia love triangle where somebody has to make a difficult choice, suddenly two of them are related and the problem evaporates.

I think it could've been so much better.

Luke could have adressed that Anakin tortured his daughter. Or that Anakin tried to kill him instead of telling Luke to join.

These are kind of big issues I would adress when someone says join me, but then again, made up on the fly.

Ray Wonder

I'm glancing at stuff, and stopping reading very quickly. I don't know if people are posting spoilers, but I've only seen IV now. If you do have spoilers please mark them!

I know it was. They also didn't know if they were gonna make any sequels at the time, though. So, to quote Shawn and Gus, "I've heard it both ways"
Holy shit a Psych reference. I'm in the middle of a psych Netflix Marathon for like the 9th the.

OT: I want to re watch all of Star Wars, but my friend told me not to by the complete saga until Black Friday. I don't like all the digital "enhancements" though. They feel so unnecessary.

BFIB

Empire is seriously one of the finest movies ever made. From beginning to end, it encapsulates everything that elevates Star Wars above the rest.

And its the one that Lucas messed with the least. Because its perfect.

sphagnum

Banned
Makes sense. I didn't know that was an added scene. lol. I'm not up to date on what got changed.

These are the main changes to ANH (there's a ton, mostly small audio things, but a lot more obvious ones starting with the Special Editions and on to the Blu-Rays):
-Movie's title (Star Wars -> Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) + changes to the opening scroll to accommodate that
-A lot of smaller changes to Tatooine, like Obi-Wan's weird noise that he makes to ward off the Tuskens, R2 having a CGI rock put in front of him while he's hiding from the Tuskens, a new shot of Obi-Wan's hut, a new shot of the Jawa's sandcrawler, etc.
-CGI stuff all over Tatooine (CGI dewbacks being ridden by Stormtroopers, CGI rontos walking through Mos Eisley, new CGI shots of the landspeeder entering Mos Eisley, etc.)
-Han and Greedo shoot at each other instead of Han just shooting Greedo
-Cut Jabba the Hutt scene reinserted with CGI Jabba (and in the Blu-Rays, a newer updated CGI Jabba compared to the 97 Special Edition) placed over the original actor, who was a guy in a fur coat
-New alien in the cantina to replace the alien who used the Wolfman suit
-New CGI shots of ships all throughout the movie (Millennium Falcon escaping Tatooine, the Death Star battle has tons of new and replaced shots, shots of the Falcon flying underneath Yavin, etc.)
-When Han chases Stormtroopers on the Death Star he runs into a hangar bay full of Stormtroopers, when in the original version they ended up at a dead end and just turned around and started shooting at him
-Lightsabers redone on the Death Star duel, but not during the rest of the movie for some reason
-Text on the tractor beam generator changed from English to Aurebesh
-Cut scene of Luke meeting with Biggs before the Battle of Yavin in the Rebel hangar reinserted, with one line of dialogue from Garvin Dreis (Red Leader) removed so as not to contradict the prequels
-Death Star explosion has a ring added to it and is also turned gray for some reason

RotJ has the most controversial changes though. ESB doesn't have too many.

Oersted

Empire is seriously one of the finest movies ever made. From beginning to end, it encapsulates everything that elevates Star Wars above the rest.

And its the one that Lucas messed with the least. Because its perfect.

The opening scene is some of the dumbest shit ever put on film.

Boney

Banned
While a new hope is pretty much the perfect "A hero's journey" film, with a fantastic build up and pay off, ESB is on a league of it's own regarding the elaboration of a series mythos, deconstructing characters and overall making a god damn good movie.

You'll definately love that on op, it's impossible not to. I still like RotJ but it goes downhill from there.

Good luck trying to sit through the prequels though!

Edit: wolf man got cut in the new editions? Bullshit. I watched the part where they get to the town in Tattoine and it was gross, so much distracting shit everywhere

Ray Wonder

These are the main changes to ANH (there's a ton, mostly small audio things, but a lot more obvious ones starting with the Special Editions and on to the Blu-Rays):
-Movie's title (Star Wars -> Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) + changes to the opening scroll to accommodate that
-A lot of smaller changes to Tatooine, like Obi-Wan's weird noise that he makes to ward off the Tuskens, R2 having a CGI rock put in front of him while he's hiding from the Tuskens, a new shot of Obi-Wan's hut, a new shot of the Jawa's sandcrawler, etc.
-CGI stuff all over Tatooine (CGI dewbacks being ridden by Stormtroopers, CGI rontos walking through Mos Eisley, new CGI shots of the landspeeder entering Mos Eisley, etc.)
-Han and Greedo shoot at each other instead of Han just shooting Greedo
-Cut Jabba the Hutt scene reinserted with CGI Jabba (and in the Blu-Rays, a newer updated CGI Jabba compared to the 97 Special Edition) placed over the original actor, who was a guy in a fur coat
-New alien in the cantina to replace the alien who used the Wolfman suit
-New CGI shots of ships all throughout the movie (Millennium Falcon escaping Tatooine, the Death Star battle has tons of new and replaced shots, shots of the Falcon flying underneath Yavin, etc.)
-When Han chases Stormtroopers on the Death Star he runs into a hangar bay full of Stormtroopers, when in the original version they ended up at a dead end and just turned around and started shooting at him
-Lightsabers redone on the Death Star duel, but not during the rest of the movie for some reason
-Text on the tractor beam generator changed from English to Aurebesh
-Cut scene of Luke meeting with Biggs before the Battle of Yavin in the Rebel hangar reinserted, with one line of dialogue from Garvin Dreis (Red Leader) so as not to contradict the prequels
-Death Star explosion has a ring added to it and is also turned gray for some reason

RotJ has the most controversial changes though. ESB doesn't have too many.

That noise Obi-Wan made was really weird. I actually noticed, and thought about it for a few seconds.

Also, the dewbacks with the stormtroopers looked ridiculous. The first moment I thought, this shows it's age. Not knowing it was added in.

sphagnum

Banned
Also, the dewbacks with the stormtroopers looked ridiculous. The first moment I thought, this shows it's age. Not knowing it was added in.

Previously they were just barely-moving props that stood there, one off in the distance during the Stormtroopers' hunt and one outside the cantina, so I think it's one of the better changes. It's an unfortunate side effect of CGI aging compared to physical prop aging, but it's a trade off - it looks fake but it has more liveliness, whereas the original looks more real but uninteresting.

Good videos for comparison for the big changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbzSH84mj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbrVFP_f0w

Gusy

Empire is without a doubt one of the best action adventure films ever made.

Pay close attention to the production design, especially during the first 40 minutes. The level of detail is staggering and it still holds up almost 35 years later.

It's a beautiful looking film.

Patryn

-Cut scene of Luke meeting with Biggs before the Battle of Yavin in the Rebel hangar reinserted, with one line of dialogue from Garvin Dreis (Red Leader) removed so as not to contradict the prequels

These are the two changes I really liked, honestly.

Especially the Biggs thing, which I feel lends a bit more gravitas to when he dies. In the original cut, I feel like he's pretty much just a random character.

sphagnum

Banned
Especially the Biggs thing, which I feel lends a bit more gravitas to when he dies. In the original cut, I feel like he's pretty much just a random character.

Yeah, I had no idea who Biggs was when I was a kid until my mother (who was a big EU reader) told me. I never understood why he got the sad music effect after his death when he was no different than any other Rebel pilot.

He also has a slightly more prominent role in the (canon) Korean webcomic adaptation which makes it even better.

Ray Wonder

Previously they were just barely-moving props that stood there, one off in the distance during the Stormtroopers' hunt and one outside the cantina, so I think it's one of the better changes. It's an unfortunate side effect of CGI aging compared to physical prop aging, but it's a trade off - it looks fake but it has more liveliness, whereas the original looks more real but uninteresting.

After seeing the dewback from 77', I think I still would rather have it instead of the CG ones. That shot from 77' wouldn't have broke my immersion making me think "Those things look real shit nowadays". That video is cool though. I'll watch the corresponding video with each film I watch.

Oersted

Luke being mauled by a wampa? What's wrong with that?

I was more referring to the whole Empire attacking part, but yeah, even(?) that.

Why did Luke not finish the Wampa and stayed in the cave? Nope, he just make it suffer horribly and runs out, trsing to kill himself.

sphagnum

Banned
After seeing the dewback from 77', I think I still would rather have it instead of the CG ones. That shot from 77' wouldn't have broke my immersion making me think "Those things look real shit nowadays". That video is cool though. I'll watch the corresponding video with each film I watch.

I just realized that there are a few scenes from ESB and RotJ in the second video for comparisons of R2's color during space scenes so if you really don't want to see anything from those movies yet, avoid that.

Ray Wonder

I just realized that there are a few scenes from ESB and RotJ in the second video for comparisons of R2's color during space scenes so if you really don't want to see anything from those movies yet, avoid that.

Good thing I didn't get to it yet. Thanks for the heads up.

sphagnum

Banned
I was more referring to the whole Empire attacking part, but yeah, even(?) that.

Why did Luke not finish the Wampa and stayed in the cave? Nope, he just make it suffer horribly and runs out, trsing to kill himself.

I think he's just concerned with
trying to get away as quickly as possible, not really thinking about the morality of the situation.
And I think you're the first person I've ever heard
who dislikes the Battle of Hoth! That's quite a surprise.

Retro

Their whole relationship was made up on the fly and its very noticeable. I always love how "From my point of view the Jedi are evil" gets shit on, while the equally stupid "So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view." gets a pass.

Both are badly written, but one had the benefit of being delivered by Academy Award-winning actor Sir Alec Guinness while the other was delivered by a mannequin.

Sorcerer

IMHO the best parts of this movie was Leia; you and the heroes think she's a damsel in distress, but she's really just waiting for the right opportunity or moment to go rambo on the star troopers.

I get the whole 'adventure' aspect some fans like the movie for, but I overall like Empire Strikes Back much more.

Furthermore, Luke all of a sudden being able to fly the rebels combat spacecrafts while having 0 training is the most wtf-ish thing I've seen in a movie.

I know, I know, it probably doesn't count but in the radio play version of a New Hope, Luke is put into some kind of VR training helmet and he is up to speed in a couple of hours or so.

Also on a side note, I never understood the Squad Leaders reluctance to let Luke fly. Your planet is going to be annihilated by the Death Star, why do you care if Luke is inexperienced? Hell, I would Jump in an X-Wing myself after that helmet VR training. You die on the planet or you do flying. But there is always a chance you might succeed.

Oersted

I think he's just concerned with
trying to get away as quickly as possible, not really thinking about the morality of the situation.
And I think you're the first person I've ever heard
who dislikes the Battle of Hoth! That's quite a surprise.

Its not just morality. Dude is suicidal. And I didn't say I dislike it. I said its stupid. Its stupid because everyone acts dumb as fuck. Rebels having 10 minutes because a planet is in the way of the Death Star. AT-ATs. Attacking At-ATs repeatedly from the only spot AT-ATs can aim at. Why did the rebels use/have their impractical ships to begin with? And how the fuck did the rebel transporters get pass a gigantic fleet with thousands of spaceships including one of the biggest Star Destroyers ever, commanded by fucking Darth Vader?

Both are badly written, but one had the benefit of being delivered by Academy Award-winning actor Sir Alec Guinness while the other was delivered by a mannequin.

Its not like Guiness was particularly interested in acting in that scene.

Sephzilla

Honestly I think A New Hope is my least favorite of the original trilogy. I feel like Empire and Jedi are noticeably higher in overall quality.

PBalfredo

The comparison helps bring home the amount of color correction that's in the special edition. Things like that and the lightsaber fixes and enhanced starfighter scenes I can get behind. I just wish the Mos Eisley scenes didn't have the CGI creatures mugging for the camera so damn hard.

Sorcerer

Honestly I think A New Hope is my least favorite of the original trilogy. I feel like Empire and Jedi are noticeably higher in overall quality.

New Hope is a better movie.

George was out ideas, a second Death Star at the end of the same trilogy. I will admit the final space battle is stunning but still...
Endor was filler, Ewoks were clearly created to sell toys.
Han kinda stinks in this one because once he throws completely in with the good guys his charm is lost.

Luke confronting his Father is great, but its not enough to save the movie.

JayTapp

I fell like punching everything when I watch those videos. Such pointless changes.
( some minor stuff liek uncle, your uncle I would be fine with )

Ray Wonder

Now I know there's another death star. Guys please. I can't read the thread I made.

Retro

Its not like Guiness was particularly interested in acting in that scene.

I think Alec Guinness reading the phone book would still top Hayden Christensen's entire Prequel performance.
JUWnj.gif

Some of you guys need to spoiler tag considering that OP has specifically mentioned how he has only seen episode 4 and would like you to spoiler tag anything else

That being said, Keep us updated OP. It's interesting to hear the point of view from someone who hasn't seen the movies before. I've seen them since I was like 3-5 and many many times since, so an alternate perspective is cool.

EDIT: You might want to bail til you've seen episode 5 and 6 though :p

BFIB

OP, I would advise you PM a mod to change your title to reflect no spoilers. People spoiling left and right in here.

Blues1990

As far as the extended material is concerned, you should definitely check out the two clone wars animated series & Star Wars: Rebels. Aside from that, you're in for a wild ride, as the series is a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom