• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars the Fallen Order

kiphalfton

First off I want to say that the game is good, and I'm impressed that Respawn was able to transition from making FPS games to this (i.e. a third person action adventure game).

Graphics are good, worlds are pretty interesting (except Bogano), and it's an interesting spin on a "Jedi game" (with the guard gauge and force gauge).

The combat style is fitting, for a character that essentially is still a Padawan and skill progression is satisfying as is exploration and mild metrodivania aspects.

The things that need some work (if they make a sequel) is minimizing squeezing through cracks, getting rid of sliding sections,, as well as adding more enemy variety, making different light sabers matter, get rid of the god-awful poncho, and add UNIQUE secret bosses (that aren't just color swaps of regular enemies).

In regards to enemy variety and secret bosses, I was really quite disappointed each of the secret bosses was essentially a color swap of regular enemies. I think this is lazy, and I hate when devs do this.

In regards to ponchos, light sabers, BD-1 skins, etc. there really should have been some sort of attribute boosts associated with each of these, otherwise it feels kind of pointless. It seemed like this game wanted to be a RPG, but not having attribute points associated with this "gear" made no sense. It removes pretty much all incentive finding chests... unless you just want a different light saber switch/etc. (which who really cares since you can't see those fine details during gameplay anyways).

I think another point where the game falls short is Cal himself and the story. Most the other characters seemed more interesting than him, and the ending was awful. Not going to spoil it, but the ending makes the whole game/journey seem pointless.

I think this is a really great first effort by Respawn, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Kuranghi

You playing on PC and do you have a 4K display? The game looks wayyyy better if you lock to 30 fps and go for native 4K imo.

PM me if you want advice on how to get tear free but ultra low input latency 30hz and PC settings. Its super hard to get 60fps locked at anything above 1440p without a grand+ GPU due to the coding/design of the game.

If on console then just enjoy away of course. Glad you are liking it. +1 on the ponchos should've given buffs too.

NickFire

We have this on disc at home, but I haven't played it yet. Planned to try it on next gen, but around the same time I got PS5 they announced a free next gen upgrade coming out this summer. Summer can't come soon enough.

Fbh

Really enjoyed this game.
It's fairly derivative but well executed, and I enjoyed the mix of fighting, platforming and exploration. I also enjoyed the backtracking which I know not everyone was a fan of. Almost all mechanics were taken from other games, but there aren't really any current ones that put them all together like this.

Agreed on the ponchos and cosmetics in general. Exploration was fun but finding a well hidden chest only to get some ugly poncho or and alternate color for the ship was really underwhelming. If they make a sequel I hope they really expand the visual customization option, give me different types of robes, jedi armors, costumes, lightsaber colors, etc even if it doesn't make too much sense in the context of the game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I haven’t played a Star Wars game since Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, which was ahead of its time

Maybe if they included Watto then you would have loved this game

kiphalfton

You playing on PC and do you have a 4K display? The game looks wayyyy better if you lock to 30 fps and go for native 4K imo.

PM me if you want advice on how to get tear free but ultra low input latency 30hz and PC settings. Its super hard to get 60fps locked at anything above 1440p without a grand+ GPU due to the coding/design of the game.

If on console then just enjoy away of course. Glad you are liking it. +1 on the ponchos should've given buffs too.

Yeah played it on PC. I locked the framerate to 90 fps and resolution was at 3440 x 1440. I don't recall having too many framerate dips fortunately. Seemed to have actually run really smoothly actually (though I have a RTX 3080 and 5900X, so that probably helped quite a bit).

Yeah played it on PC. I locked the framerate to 90 fps and resolution was at 3440 x 1440. I don't recall having too many framerate dips fortunately. Seemed to have actually run really smoothly actually (though I have a RTX 3080 and 5900X, so that probably helped quite a bit).
I played at the same resolution and fps. It runs very well and looks great in Ultrawide.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game is very good, much better than one would expect from E.A. Respawn has really done well in showing that they can create great single-player campaigns that feel engaging and interesting when given the opportunity and I hope we get to see them do another SW game and build upon what they've learned. I agree with you as well that I wish they could have done away with the "slowly" crawling through holes in the wall or through cracks, but I'll take that over load screens any day. That said, I'd wager that's a holdover from being relegated to PS4/Xbone tech, which shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

The ending was maybe done that way because Respawn wouldn't think the game would ever get a sequel.
Now that the game sold really well and we kinda know there is a sequel on the way, I'm sure Respawn will do better for the next game.
I agree with all that you wrote, and I loved it. I was surprised at what they did given their usual style. I look forward to what they can do in the future.

kyussman

It had a fair share of jank,but as someone who likes single player games it was nice to see EA finally deliver a Star Wars one.I enjoyed the Metroid type map/level design even though it wasn't perfectly executed and did make getting around a bit of a pain sometimes.Lots of room for the next one to improve...looking forward to it.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's okay. Was impressed with the beginning, but later on it got rather stale. Felt like I was just running/jumping around doing nothing particularly interesting. And fuck those sliding parts. Not sure I'm coming back.

RPS37

Liked the game a lot until the end.
Stuck on a gauntlet and just put it down and never looked back.

gypsygib

I don't think they need to change much, it was one of the best games I played in 2020. Some environments could look better but I liked the varied gameplay and combat. I think all it needs is refinement a bit, not any major changes to gameplay.

And sliding was fun.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
First off I want to say that the game is good, and I'm impressed that Respawn was able to transition from making FPS games to this (i.e. a third person action adventure game).

Graphics are good, worlds are pretty interesting (except Bogano), and it's an interesting spin on a "Jedi game" (with the guard gauge and force gauge).

The combat style is fitting, for a character that essentially is still a Padawan and skill progression is satisfying as is exploration and mild metrodivania aspects.

The things that need some work (if they make a sequel) is minimizing squeezing through cracks, getting rid of sliding sections,, as well as adding more enemy variety, making different light sabers matter, get rid of the god-awful poncho, and add UNIQUE secret bosses (that aren't just color swaps of regular enemies).

In regards to enemy variety and secret bosses, I was really quite disappointed each of the secret bosses was essentially a color swap of regular enemies. I think this is lazy, and I hate when devs do this.

In regards to ponchos, light sabers, BD-1 skins, etc. there really should have been some sort of attribute boosts associated with each of these, otherwise it feels kind of pointless. It seemed like this game wanted to be a RPG, but not having attribute points associated with this "gear" made no sense. It removes pretty much all incentive finding chests... unless you just want a different light saber switch/etc. (which who really cares since you can't see those fine details during gameplay anyways).

I think another point where the game falls short is Cal himself and the story. Most the other characters seemed more interesting than him, and the ending was awful. Not going to spoil it, but the ending makes the whole game/journey seem pointless.

I think this is a really great first effort by Respawn, but there is definitely room for improvement.
I'd say this is a pretty good synopsis. I really enjoyed the game because the story was good. On X1X it was a bit on the low side, resolution-wise it seemed and it definitely threw me off a bit. I have not decided whether I'm gonna jump back in for the next gen or whatever update they did recently. It's kinda one of those one and done games for me. I might give it another 6 months or so and give it a shot again.

Finished recently. Enjoyed scenery on different planets, metroidvania exploration.

Combat was not perfect but enjoyable.

Overall I thing they jammed in a lot of ideas in there, not all of them worked. But overall worth playing, especially if you enjoy star wars.

A.Romero

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I enjoyed the game, played it with gamepass on PC. It felt like a slightly clunkier Uncharted with lightsabers.

The story was satisfying, the music pretty good but the characters were kind of crappy in my opinion. Some of the decisions they made kind of didn't make sense given the context.

They couldn't do perks with the customization because some of the items are behind a paywall so aesthetics is OK in my opinion.

Ways they could improve for the sequel IMO:

- Deeper customization other than just the skills
- Some other mechanic for long distance gameplay (deflecting lasers got kind of old by the end)
- Deeper melee system... I mean, it's like 90% of the game, 2 button combos got stale pretty quick. For example using 2 swords could have had a better implementation IMO
- More fights with interesting characters like the sisters. Learning patterns was fun.
- More obvious platforming... Some of the routes were not as obvious and became a bit annoying

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Started playing two weeks ago with the nice new £16 sale price. I have to say I’m really enjoying it. It’s riffing off Metroid is really nice. Good mechanics and systems. Arguably doesn’t do much new but what it does it does very well.

I didn’t think I’d like Cal but he’s ok. And I even like BD-1. I thought they’d be a bit too childish for me but they channel the old school SW so..

the one thing I might say is, take out the Metroid style map and the game loses a lot. That map is the key for me. It adds that little bit of exploration over linear corridors and it offers you the opportunity to look around, get your bearings and make for a definite location. I hate wondering around in games not knowing where to go.

ive only reached Kashyyk. So still early doors but i’m very happy I gave it a go. Have to give props to EA for this one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It was a good 7\10 games, they just have to make combat more precise if they wanna copy souls and sekiro, making the map far more clear to navigate and eliminating the fucking ponchos as a reward for exploration...rewards fro exploration was mostly shit in this game, a big flaw for a 3d metroidvania.

Oh, and add some fucking gore, the lightsaber act like a metal bat in this game, ridicolous.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It was the first game I bought from EA since Battlefield Bad Company 2. I was not disappointed.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of EA, since like the PS2 era (i.e. the first couple Harry Potter games, and the Lord of the Rings games). However, this was good and I wish Respawn luck working under EA, and hope they don't get the shaft like Bioware did.

thought it was a mediocre game. didn't know what it wanted to be. felt like a mix between dark souls and tomb raider. pick what you want it to be and don't half ass it. i've always liked the idea of a souls like Star Wars game and this is the closest we've got so i enjoyed it for that.

not so sure i'll be rushing to get the sequel. i might buy it but will be waiting to see what it's like first.

One of the very few games that attempt a souls-like combat and get away with it.

Seriously, wannabe souls-like games always throw me off and I hate playing games that try to be so because it's never done properly - merely just tacking on the gameplay loop.

But here, Respawn really made it forgiving and not to a point where you get annoyed by it because, let's be real, this isn't some Miyazaki level of polish of enemy placement and map design.

So for that, I was able to just enjoy the game and its exploration mechanics.

Story was alright though, but better than any recent Star Wars game that's for sure.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Still playing. I’ve almost finished chapter 3. Tomb of Miktrull. Still really enjoying it. They compensate for grind by continuously throwing new things at you.
I really do love their map. It’s testament to Metroid how much it adds to a game.

the aesthetic collectibles are a bit dull. But they have no impact on gameplay so…

not sure I’ll ever complete it as it looks like I’ve got a LOOONNNGGGG way to go still (I hardly ever finish games). But we’ll see how far I get.

If anyone’s on the fence about getting this. At the sales price, it’s a real no brainier tbh.

Last edited:

Aion002

I am a bit confused as to why people compared it to souls games as opposed Metroid.

what is it about fallen order that channels Souls??
Probably the "bonfires" things respawning the enemies, that also is used to level up and recover health, the "estus flasks" and the combat being clearly inspired... Other than that it's indeed way closer to metroid than souls.

I think that the game is fine... I didn't bother to finish it, the story was boring and I don't really like Star Wars so ehh a solid 6 ou of 10 for me.

Top Bottom