• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last Guardian ''I couldn't bring myself to play'' (Please read OP)

(Mild spoilers)

maxresdefault.jpg

Backstory;

After waiting for years keeping myself in the dark, away from potential spoilers, i bought the much anticipated title ''The Last Guardian.''

I was lucky enough to play Ueda san's SOTC on the ps2 and i knew The Last Guarding would have some of his magic in it. I sat down excited with my SO. I played the first few minutes and they were immensely intriguing. It was exactly what i was hoping for. But sadly for us, we had our beloved dog die in our backyard couple months ago. HIs name was Lero. He was about 11 years old and was adored, especially by my SO more than me. He was one of the most obedient dogs, didn't have an ounce of malice in him. It was painful to see him go right infront of our eyes.

Anyways, fast forward today and i see (minor spoiler ahead) Trico doing all manners of stuff that our dog used to do. Crying for help, getting stuck and giving the ''help me please'' look, making faces. I'm pretty sure every loving dog owner can relate to Trico at some point. As we played through, i could feel my heart skipping beats and i felt sudden wrench in my stomach. I could aIso feel the discomfort in the air. I pause the game and i just sat there speechless. It was so intense, even now, i'm shaking typing these words just thinking about it. Nothing, no other game had managed to evoke such powerful emotions than The Last Guardian.

I know this game is made with full of love and could feel it while i played through first few sections. I hope to gather the courage to get back to it in memory of my dog someday..and i'll play it for every loving dogs and their loving owners.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Glad you like it, man. I wasn't very impressed myself despite being a huge Ueda fan. Still a fun little game. Knowing Ueda and his way of thinking I could see every plot twist coming from a mile away, not even a single thing in the whole game surprised me, which is kind of a bummer since both previous games have great plot twists (of the same sort as in TLG though, which is the problem).

Athena~

Banned
(Mild spoilers)

maxresdefault.jpg

Backstory;

After waiting for years keeping myself in the dark, away from potential spoilers, i bought the much anticipated title ''The Last Guardian.''

I was lucky enough to play Ueda san's SOTC on the ps2 and i knew The Last Guarding would have some of his magic in it. I sat down excited with my SO. I played the first few minutes and they were immensely intriguing. It was exactly what i was hoping for. But sadly for us, we had our beloved dog die in our backyard couple months ago. HIs name was Lero. He was about 11 years old and was adored, especially by my SO more than me. He was one of the most obedient dogs, didn't have an ounce of malice in him. It was painful to see him go right infront of our eyes.

Anyways, fast forward today and i see (minor spoiler ahead) Trico doing all manners of stuff that our dog used to do. Crying for help, getting stuck and giving the ''help me please'' look, making faces. I'm pretty sure every loving dog owner can relate to Trico at some point. As we played through, i could feel my heart skipping beats and i felt sudden wrench in my stomach. I could aIso feel the discomfort in the air. I pause the game and i just sat there speechless. It was so intense, even now, i'm shaking typing these words just thinking about it. Nothing, no other game had managed to evoke such powerful emotions than The Last Guardian.

I know this game is made with full of love and could feel it while i played through first few sections. I hope to gather the courage to get back to it in memory of my dog someday..and i'll play it for every loving dogs and their loving owners.

Sad to hear about Lero, OP. They can be so adorable and supportive.

Hopefully the game can cheer you up a bit. Hilariously Trico took a dump in front of my character. Also so cute when afraid to get into the water.

TLG and Nintendogs are both awesome we need more of these!

sublimit

Banned
Sorry for your loss OP. It's totally understandable.

You can play the game later in the future when you'll be feeling better or maybe when/if you get another dog (or cat). The Last Guardian is a timeless classic and no matter how many years pass it will always remain a great experience just like Ueda's previous games.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Sorry about your loss. The Last Guardian is one of my favorite games this generation for the reasons in your post. It did a good job making it feel like I was on an adventure with one of my dogs. There's hardly any dialogue in the game, but by the end you really start to feel attached to Trico. I can see why it would be hard to play this game after losing a pet.

Top Bottom