• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (is the greatest game of all time)

dlauv

Honestly out of all of the hundreds of Action RPGs featuring martial combat (even as an option), The Witcher 3's is probably one of the best. We're talking top 15 or so.

ADS

I really wanted to like The Witcher 3, and ended up forcing myself to play it for 75 hours just waiting for it to get good.

For some reason it just didn't click for me. The combat was the same in every encounter, and most of the side quests just seemed to have you following footsteps or bright red scent trails around. If you spend any time exploring you end up super over leveled and break the difficulty curve.

I enjoyed the story and the world is absolutely beautiful, but as an actual game I just didn't find it engaging or fun.

After reading all these responses I feel like I'm missing something or played it wrong somehow.

I'm talking about how fucking overly dramatic and annoying people get over what are ultimately very small quibbles in the overall scale of the game. It is not justifiable to dismiss the entire project and everything it's trying to accomplish over minor flaws nearly every other open world game has, it comes off as contrarian because a stink to this degree was never raised with Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption.

Minor for you. I actually have the same problems with Skyrim or RDR and they ruin a lot of the fun for me.

While you sit on that high horse for enjoying mindless hack and slash nonsense, I'll sit on this other high horse for appreciating intellectually developed games more interested in adult themes.

And then they call Souls fan insecure.
If by mindless hack and slash you mean fantastic encounter design, strong level design, build variety, intersting integration of multiplayer, a good challenge and interesting lore that is not add odds with the ganeplay and asks player involvements that reaches beyond watching cut-scenes, then yes, I agree.

Kain

I never saw what was so "wrong" with the combat, honestly. On the main quest I was running a magic build and I had a blast. For the expansions I ran hybrid and I had a blast. You can even run bombs or full sword if you want.

Oh hey bros I just beat Witcher 3 lets talk about it

*sees insecure grown ass people having a tantrum about their favorite game and why its better*

$

I never saw what was so "wrong" with the combat, honestly. On the main quest I was running a magic build and I had a blast. For the expansions I ran hybrid and I had a blast. You can even run bombs or full sword if you want.

It's really fun yeah. I went full alchemy with a bit of magic on the side on my second playthrough. Good stuff.

Chumley

Banned
And then they call Souls fan insecure.
If by mindless hack and slash you mean fantastic encounter design, strong level design, build variety, intersting integration of multiplayer, a good challenge and interesting lore that is not add odds with the ganeplay and asks player involvements that reaches beyond watching cut-scenes, then yes, I agree.

Lol, I was calling out reductionist hypocrisy with a sarcastic statement and you took it literally. Thanks for making my argument for me, that Souls fans boost those fucking games up to the lofitest of heights while shitting all over W3 for not adhering to it's gameplay standards. God forbid they're both different and amazing, one just has to be better than the other.

Kazuhira

Definitely enjoyed HoS more than the main game,actually the main plot and the wild hunt are boring as fuck.
Combat finally clicked on me and i'm having a good time thinking what kind of build i want.
As a big souls fan,i'm fucking tired of this discussion to see which game is the best.

Definitely one of the greatest RPG's ever made. Such a geat game, I'm still actually playing it now thanks to the 2 fantastic and huge DLC add on's. Rich and detailed game world and lore, great characters and voice acting, varied and interesting quests, its just massive and awesome. One of my favourite games of all time.

One thing I see a lot in Witcher 3 threads is people saying the combat is garbage. I just don't see it, I think the combat is fine personally, sure its not as refined as Bloodborne or Dark Souls but very few games are that good, it does the job though.

I have no issues stringing together attacks, blocking / parrying, dodging, rolling, using signs ect, it all flows well enough. Also once you start unlocking better combat abilities, it gets better. It might not be the best but there is certainly nothing about the combat that ruins the game.

Lupercal

Banned
Game of this Generation.
The basegame is already one of the greatest but those 2 expansions really push it over the top.

If Cyberpunk is half as good as The Witcher 3, it'll still be a terrific game.

One thing I see a lot in Witcher 3 threads is people saying the combat is garbage. I just don't see it, I think the combat is fine personally, sure its not as refined as Bloodborne or Dark Souls but very few games are that good, it does the job though.

The complaints about the combat are starting to feel like a meme by now. The only time I feel it becomes an issue are when you're forced to fight in very tight spot where the camera becomes an issue, or when fighting enemies that teleport around quickly, where it can become an issue to lock on to it/them again.

Other then that, I enjoyed the combat, I feel that it does fighting multiple enemies at once better then any other RPG's I have played.

Didn't quite enjoy the bosses in story missions, but I don't enjoy such bosses in any game. Witcher contracts are great though, where the game actually let's you prepare properly for the fights.

I've always complained about the combat all the way back on reddit. Even combat aside the character tree is boring and unnecessarily restrictive. Not to mention that there's no real path that doesn't trivialize the game because the encounter design is poor and repetitive.

Also ignoring the witcher sense BS it's a great game though. Though I'm not that big on the main plot either and disagree with many creative freedoms they've taken adapting the books.

Rafus

I'm still on the main quest,
I have to go get Ciri at the Isle of Mists,
but reading all this great talk about the expansions make me hype af.
I'm fucking loving the game so far!

lawtowler

I played the game once, then put it down after getting infatuated with Destiny. Once Destiny hit a dry patch early 2016 I picked up TW3 again and played nothing else for 2 months. Finished the game and all DLC, an absolute masterpiece.

ByWatterson

Could never get into it. After about 30 hours, the game felt like a well written fetch quest with extremely limited ways to interact with the world. It was interesting, but never actually compelling or fun.

And in such a talky, story heavy game, it doesn't help help that the cutscenes repeat the same angles and animations over and over and over (Geralt just emphasized a point by opening his palm and moving it downward again).

I fail to see what, beyond world building, even puts it remotely in the conversation for GOAT.

Szadek

Great that OP like it as much as he does.
I don't think I will ever finish the game, since I lost my save file after approximate 200+ hours (finished every side quest but like 5) and I really don't feeling like starting over.

DevilDog

While you sit on that high horse for enjoying mindless hack and slash nonsense, I'll sit on this other high horse for appreciating intellectually developed games more interested in adult themes.

Like Geralt being a fanfiction character who is the best at everything, bangs hotties and everyone hates him because he did all of this in 2 simple steps?

Also, hack and slash is mindless, good grief he's not the only one sitting on that high horse.

Scumcore

Witcher 3 is my current GOAT. Sure, there are other games with better combat, but the whole experience is undeniably polished. The whole setting, the characters and narrative is great. The Bloody Baron quest on its own is actually a more immersive experience than some other standalone games.

It took me a while to really enjoy other games again after the Witcher 3. I even read the books after playing the game.

Greatest is that I've still got to start on Blood & Wine. I'm saving it for next year.

Sapientas

Wish I liked it that much. Game never really clicked with me I guess. Combat was always dull and got progressively easier to the point it was meaningless and the narrative and writing were fine, but not any where near the godlike levels some hype it. Some of the side questlines are very disappointing and don't fit the gameplay at all.

At least I have the DLCs left so I can give it another shot.

ByWatterson

Like Geralt being a fanfiction character who is the best at everything, bangs hotties and everyone hates him because he did all of this in 2 simple steps?

He is extraordinarily uninteresting. He came across as a stock fanfic badass.

Maybe it's because I never played the earlier games, but man was he bland.

Staf

Recently returned to this game to give it another run. Just finished the bloody baron quest line and i just fucking love this game. Despite not liking the combat and progression system it's in my top 5 GOAT.

Chumley

Banned

Also, hack and slash is mindless, good grief he's not the only one sitting on that high horse.

Not only reductionist, but throw in some good old fashioned lying too. He is not "best at everything", everyone doesn't hate him, and he only bangs prostitutes aside from three possible women through the game (who you can choose not to bang).

Posts like this just prove my point about haters being contrarians just completely making shit up. At least try and make some informed critiques.

topplehat

I mostly agree with assessment and am bewildered at the wild praise this game gets for its characters/story. The combat is dull and most quests consist of following waypoints to a circle area where you use your witcher senses to find the thing.

It's not a bad game, and overall I like it but it's not great or perfect.

Lord Phol

Been playing this back and forth since release. Took me a long time since I wanted to do everything, but I finally beat it ~2 weeks ago. Stayed up the whole night just to finish it and once it was all over I just sat there and smiled (got the
Ciri stays with Geralt
ending. This might just be my absolute favorite game ever. The writing is really in a class of its own. The game also just oozes atmosphere like no other game does IMO. Everything from the amazing soundtrack to the beautifully crafted world just draws you right into it. I still haven't touched any of the expansions yet, but I'm really looking forward to them.

On a side not since I see this coming up a lot in Witcher 3 threads. Bloodborne happens to be one of my favorite games as well and I really Dragons Dogma. I honestly don't see why these games are compared to each other so often when they're all very different experiences with very different goals in what they want to accomplish.

Sapientas

I dont think it is the best game, but i dont get the combat hate, what is wrong with the combat?
I'm not a combat hater so there should be other "better" reasons for the criticism, but I dislike the overall feeling of it mainly due to Geralt's unresponsiveness, lack of combat variety and uninteresting progression that make the combat duller. I played on Death March and just plowed through the game using quick attacks and Quen (barrier magic?) regardless of the enemy type, using that trap magic whenever the occasional ghost came up.

what? there are so many times when Geralt gets thrown into a situation where he is completely out of his depth which often provides some excellent comedy.

Murkas

Sorry couldn't get into it due to the bad controls and combat, which are bad. Come on now.

And I actually rate the combat in Skyrim above The Witcher 3, is it more dull and repetitive than The Witcher? Sure (although stealth archery is actually really fun), but I am in much more control of my character in Skyrim, than in Witcher, which is more important to me. I know exactly what my character is going to do.

Lord Phol

what? there are so many times when Geralt gets thrown into a situation where he is completely out of his depth which often provides some excellent comedy.

Not to mention the outcome of trying to have the cake and eat when it comes to romancing in this game (which I personally found hilarious and fair).

Markoman

I bet some of the people that think the combat/gameplay in Witcher 3 is garbage are the same that think the Souldborne games have some of the best gameplay of all time.

Not in my case. Soulsborne is far from being perfect but still miles ahead of Witcher combat.
W3 combat is too close to Batman style combat (tethering) which not everyone likes. It's too fast but not in the stylish NG, Bayonetta... way, lacks weight and is too much focussed on reacting and simple patterns: for example drowners - light hit, light hit, evade, rinse repeat. It's also balanced poorly in conjunction with the skill tree and buffs. Quen is OP. Fans of RPGs like it, people who prefer character action games and ARPG don't like it. Simple as that.

takriel

Don't get me wrong, I really like Witcher 3. But I don't think it's possible to argue that it has better gameplay depth than the Souls series. That is just not true.

And actually, the Soulsborne series examines some really interesting psychological, sociological and theological ideas in its stories and lore. To say that these are not "intellectually developed" games is bullshit. Especially when Miyazaki himself holds a degree in Psychology. He knows what he's doing. And it shows.

Ralemont

not me

Hahaha what?

This is the series that used a joke about "lesbomancy" my dude, Cormac McCarthy ain't naming it story of the decade.

Budi

It blows my mind that when talking about RPG:s people downplay the importance of writing. Like isn't that one of the most important things in a RPG? It's also tied to a bunch of stuff, not just the quality of dialogue. But how is the story, the characters, are your choices meaningful and are the consequences logical, world building through lore. Planescape Torment isn't regarded as one of the best because of fluid and deep combat. If you don't care about writing in games, don't play RPG:s then and shit on them afterwards. I'm not gonna play Witness and complain that it had too much puzzles.

Animagne

It blows my mind that people are keep talking about this having bad combat. In an RPG. RPGs have mediocre combat at best. Compare this game to Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, FF XV. All of these games were AAA RPG titles from massive franchises, all of these games won some GotYs, all of them actually belong to the same genre. Not a single one of them even touches the combat of Witcher 3. I don't remember ever playing an RPG (not a game from some other random genre, like Souls) where I enjoyed combat as much.

owlbeak

A masterpiece. The entire Witcher trilogy is amazing, but Wild Hunt really blows everything else away. And I enjoyed the combat. Believe it or not, one can be a huge fan of the Souls series and also enjoy other combat mechanics.

Zakalwe

Banned
This game can't be a GOAT for me as traversal and combat are so poor. And this is coming from someone who adores this game and actually defended the combat a good deal at first.

After a time though, it beomes impossible to do so. It's awkward, bland, and has a restrictive levelling system that doesn't have enough truly unique aspects to justify limiting it the way it does.

Something like the original Guild Wars where you could only take 8 skills was an example of this done well as there were myriad super-unique ways to build your character, with TW3 there really wasn't many exciting ways to level.

When you strip those things away, what you're left with are standard conventions of the RPG genre. Do you like RPGs?

Many RPGs do these things better than TW3. Combat and traversal especially.

TW3 is a masterclass in writing, lore, world building, character design, and story telling, but the actual gameplay is nowhere near top-tier.

This is something CDPRed struggle with, they really do need to focus on the actual gameplay aspects for their future games.

It blows my mind that people are keep talking about this having bad combat. In an RPG. RPGs have mediocre combat at best. Compare this game to Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, FF XV. All of these games were AAA RPG titles from massive franchises, all of these games won some GotYs, all of them actually belong to the same genre. Not a single one of them even touches the combat of Witcher 3. I don't remember ever playing an RPG (not a game from some other random genre, like Souls) where I enjoyed combat as much.

Sorry man, XV's combat is /leagues/ above TW3 in every possible aspect.

Skyrim has much more interesting levelling and tones more unique ways to build your character.

Even Dragon Age has more satisfying feedback and unique skills.

Maybe you're right about FO4...

TW3 combat isn't terrible, it's just awkward and very bland.

the gameplay loop is pretty obvious and boring, but the environment and world are amazing.

definitely feels bloated with filler time-wasting content though. controls could be better. actually many of the gameplay details need fixing imo.

Raven117

A masterpiece. The entire Witcher trilogy is amazing, but Wild Hunt really blows everything else away. And I enjoyed the combat. Believe it or not, one can be a huge fan of the Souls series and also enjoy other combat mechanics.

Yup...Right here.

The combat is fine. Is it dragon's dogma? No, but it is serviceable and thoughtful (not just a button masher).

Gawd I love that game.

Sanctuary

I've always complained about the combat all the way back on reddit. Even combat aside the character tree is boring and unnecessarily restrictive. Not to mention that there's no real path that doesn't trivialize the game because the encounter design is poor and repetitive.

Just stop. None of your Souls superfandomness is wanted here, just get out please, so the rest of us can worship at the altar of CD Projekt Red.

But seriously, either I'm just getting old, or I'm living in some alternate reality where cinematics and graphics are way more important than actual compelling gameplay. I just played through the game again after a year break and a ton of updates, and had to stop halfway through Blood and Wine. Just can't continue...sooooo boring, despite the fact that for the most part I enjoyed the characters and side stories.

I honestly preferred TW1 combat to 2 or 3 by quite a lot.

Hilarious. So did I. I also felt like it had the best atmosphere overall too. The Witcher 3 has a few instances that harken back to that, but it's the exeption, not the rule.

Zakalwe

Banned
I honestly preferred TW1 combat to 2 or 3 by quite a lot.

In fact, I think TW1 is the best game in the series (but I do love them all).

TW1 felt like some kind of twisted fairy tale, it had such a unique and weird atmosphere to it. It's a shame many people who love TW3 won't ever experience it.

MilkBeard

I have personally had a hard time getting interested in playing the game. There's something about the whole experience I find a bit...dull? I'm not quite sure what it is exactly.

I definitely felt that it is a solid game, and I intend to jump back in (I've only played about 6-7 hours so far). I want to give the game another chance, as I want to experience some good writing in a video game. However, I have a hard time feeling like this game is "best game of all time" material.

Top Bottom