• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh yeah, the deepn discount sutff is shady, for sure.

In any case, PC games are 10 €/$ cheaper than their console counterparts to boot, and adding that sweet 40% discount on top of that makes for an INCREDIBLE deal.
Yup. GMG is mostly great and nowadays my number one source for big titles when I want them close to release.

Long story short; the game isnt breaking new territory here and it has a very familiar structure and over all feel to it; but it is solid in every aspect. In the past, similar games to this have always scored very well with above average reception, so why there are so many negative reviews on this game is a little beyond me, particularly as other games of this nature have gone on to be GOTY nominees. Its a very solid and enjoyable title and if you read through this and the official Mad Max topic, you'll see plenty of people are really enjoying the game.

If you need a game that is doing something different or trying to break the mold, Mad Max probably wont do anything for you, if however you're fine with this sort of game (remember there are plenty of titles out there pretty much using this exact same formula with a different coat of paint) then yes, there is really nothing to criticise here...

really well said. the way these open-world, side mission heavy games are reviewed can sometimes seem (for the reasons you mention) like a pure crap shoot to me :) ...

Impulsor

Aside single instances like Witcher 3 where there was some confusion as to where GMG purchased keys from, they are known as a legitimate site. I have no reason to suspect that their would be any funny business with the Max keys, as WB is highlighted at the bottom of the page as a publisher partner.

Other key sites are something that I really don't take a hard-line stance on. People are looking for deals, and most of those keys work, but I'm very skeptical of where they were acquired from in general. My stance is generally more neutral. They're not illegal. You're paying money. But I don't like that you don't know where the key came from and there's no guarantee that it will work in general (one of the sites that we actually have banned offers an optional, additional fee to guarantee a working key just for that reason).

So, the short of it is that they're not something I encourage, but also not something where I'm looking to ban people for using or anything. I personally got the game from GreenMan when they had a 50% off voucher for that game.
I once got an Origin account banned with all the games I had because of a key I bought at one of these sites. I also remember the MW2 fiasco on steam. They just deactivated those keys though.

I find it hard to ever trust one of these sites ever again, regardless of how cheap they sell, because I actually got stung.

Yup. GMG is mostly great and nowadays my number one source for big titles when I want them close to release.
+1 I always check GMG before I check steam for discounts. They almost have a permanent 25% discount voucher active at all times.

Don't know... enjoyed my time with mad max more than metal gear. But that's just me. Both are great games however!

I think that Mad Max is just plain simple Fun right out of the gate, MGSV is not, if you know what I mean, you have to play through a 1h+ prologue and it has a somewhat steep learning curve. It also requires a lot more concentration and focus to play it, at least it does for me.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I think that Mad Max is just plain simple Fun right out of the gate, MGSV is not, if you know what I mean, you have to play through a 1h+ prologue and it has a somewhat steep learning curve. It also requires a lot more concentration and focus to play it, at least it does for me.

Yep same feelings, to me mad max is more like Just Cause 2, just plain fun in the wasteland. Metal gear will definitely be a great game, but the opening is definitely not extremely exciting!

Really disappointed with Polygon and Gamespots scores. I believe that is an unfairly low score for the game.

I'm enjoying the game and it is very solid. It is honestly better than I thought it would be. I'm quite a big Max fan, but I wasn't holding much of a hope for the game.

I'd say it's at least worthy of a 7.5.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Jeez, Kotaku with the straight NO.

I can't wait to play this myself and see what's up - to be a part of the conversation, at the very least.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not surprising to see people butthurt over others opinions.

From what I gather is that it's a decent but unremarkable game and that it is fun at times, but is probably not worth at full price.

From what I gather is that it's a decent but unremarkable game and that it is fun at times, but is probably not worth at full price.

I paid full price for it and am having a blast, so, to each their own? If you've been in the OT, you'll notice that most user impressions are resoundingly positive.

heringer

Opinions and all, but judging from impressions I'm reading everywhere, I'm yet to find someone who is down on the game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
German 4players gave it a 76% - only a few % less than MGSV.

I'm still thinking about to bite on the GMG deal.... I mean, I love AC.... But then I have MGSV unplayed on my shelf...

MUnited83

For you.
On sites that used to (no idea if they still are) banned because they are not partners with publishers where in some cases the publisher doesn't see anything for any given sale. Just search around deal sites or popular youtube streamers.

Oh I'm definitely not talking about GMG. I was immediately jumping to the deep discount stuff where you pay 15 EUR.

Well, both GMG and Funstock Digital, both authorised resellers already had it at 50% off or more.
It's probably going to go down even more quite quickly.

I never really look at scores.... and instead look at what the reviewer was saying about the game. And a lot of the problems Gamespot had with the game are problems I can see myself having.

For example, the melee combat. It looks horrible. I watched a boss fight in one of those 60 minute gameplay videos and it looked like the most boring boss fight I've ever seen in a game. Not looking forward to that. Also, the fact that 3 punches can kill you but a car driving into at full speed will only take off 10% of your health seems... kinda odd. The world would feel a lot more dangerous and challenging if you actually had to avoid stuff like that.

Having to complete missions to acquire a car part that's inferior to something you've already found... also sounds kinda bad.

The moment to moment gameplay while driving seems to be the best part about the game. Just need to decide if it's worth the asking price. But I'll probably get it anyways...

I paid full price for it and am having a blast, so, to each their own? If you've been in the OT, you'll notice that most user impressions are resoundingly positive.

That's like.... every OT ever. Those threads are a like a sanctuary for people that don't want to read negative opinions about a game. The OT for Dragon Age: Inquisition is the only thread you could visit without people taking a dump all over it.

That's like.... every OT ever. Those threads are a like a sanctuary for people that don't want to read negative opinions about a game. The OT for Dragon Age: Inquisition is the only thread you could visit without people taking a dump all over it.

I saw plenty of negative impressions in the Dragon Age OT so I don't know what you're talking about. Also, scroll back a few pages in here and see even more positive impressions if the OT isn't good enough for you, haha.

Tigress

I never really look at scores.... and instead look at what the reviewer was saying about the game. And a lot of the problems Gamespot had with the game are problems I can see myself having.

For example, the melee combat. It looks horrible. I watched a boss fight in one of those 60 minute gameplay videos and it looked like the most boring boss fight I've ever seen in a game. Not looking forward to that. Also, the fact that 3 punches can kill you but a car driving into at full speed will only take off 10% of your health seems... kinda odd. The world would feel a lot more dangerous and challenging if you actually had to avoid stuff like that.

Having to complete missions to acquire a car part that's inferior to something you've already found... also sounds kinda bad.

The moment to moment gameplay while driving seems to be the best part about the game. Just need to decide if it's worth the asking price. But I'll probably get it anyways...

Oddly enough I expected to like the driving part and not care about the melee part. And I'm finding vice versa. But then, I think I'm the odd duck in impressions in this anyways. Which is too bad cause the driving part is what looked appealing to me and got me excited for this game.

Overall.. I think I'm finally starting to get into the game but the first five or so hours i was thinking I made a mistake in buying it. I am still pretty sure that when I get Dying Light today taht I will enjoy it so much more than Mad Max it'll probably get set aside for some later date if I go back to it. But I was finally getting into it late last night.

I'd say it deserves the around 7-7.5 scores. It's entertaining but better off waiting until you have nothing else to play (or at least for me).

And who knows, maybe my impressions will change cause I was actually starting to get into it finally but then had to go to bed.

I also think a big thing that would have made this game better for me is if instead of scrap just being an alternate form of money and that what restricted you from modding your car was your level plus money was if mods required certain items you had to find to make and not on your level (I guess I could be ok with level as a way of saying you're not experienced enough to make it yet). I'd like to not just have to find any piece of scrap and it be more a crafting system.

I don't agree. The nemesis system was the first unique mechanic in games for so long. It was a cool system that rewarded players in procedural and unique ways and made the world feel alive. While Mordor did come out in a time of drought, many recognized that it had flaws yet the nemesis system made all of that irrelevant as it led to so many unique and fun experiences.

It is unique. Yes.

I've been playing it, Rocket League and Red Faction exclusively the past two weeks.

As unique as the system is, other than visuals Red Faction Guerilla has way more fun experiences imo than Mordor. The nemesis system if you care about what it's doing, could be entertaining...I guess.

I'm currently 24 hours into the game (Mordor) and the reason I keep coming back is the visceral feel of the combat. Nothing more, nothing less. The settings have started to look the same...I beat most orcs I come across...and I beat them the same way I beat them 5 hours ago...

I haven't picked up Max yet...but from the videos I've watched...Mordor and Max appear about equal. If anything, the Nemesis system was overrated.

If they had put in a good RPG element to the game and coupled it with that combat system and nemesis...THEN it would have been shits n giggles.

taoofjord

I picked it up and the game's greatest strength is its scenery. The landscapes are absolutely stunning. The story is nothing special so far but I'm impressed with the voice acting and writing. They're doing a good job making it feel like Mad Max.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After playing through 15 hours yesterday and while these are mainly just nitpicks, im really hoping that Avalanche Studios releases a patch for the following -

- An on/off option for all the HUD/UI on screen stuff
- An on/off option for the button prompts when enemies attack
- An option to switch from holding to just pressing the button to get into the car, climb ladders, etc.
- Increase the amount of fuel that is used while just driving
- Controller sensitivity options for both the left and right analog with separate options for Max and the Car since both are controlled by the left analog stick
- Increase the amount of health loss/damage taken during storms especially on foot
- Increase the amount of health loss when getting side hit by a car
- Getting hit head on by a car while on foot or run over while on the ground should result in instant death
- Eliminate regenerating health for enemy cars (mainly convoys) unless Max dies
- Add in a stamina bar when running. If your stamina runs out, the only way to fill it would be via water and food...same as health basically...should also apply when in fury mode
- Make the jump double what it is so Max can jump higher

Those are the things that a patch should easily be able to fix/adjust. With all of that said though, unless the game sucks at the end or some major game breaking shit happens, it's easily a 9/10 for me thus far. Mad Max is an absolute blast to play. Fun scale is easily a perfect 10/10.

Aside from the minor nitpicking which is more of a personal preference for the majority of the nitpicks, game is excellent thus far. Love the exploration, hidden areas and plat-forming that must be done in certain areas or you fall to your death. Seriously, the only game this generation that I have any interest in replaying is The Witcher III and that's mainly because of the two expansion packs. Mad Max currently is the only other game this generation that I already can see myself playing again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
NOTE: TURN OFF TUTORIALS IN THE OPTIONS MENU AS DOING THIS LESSENS THE ON SCREEN CLUTTER AND MAKES THE GAME EVEN BETTER. :)

Bought the game on opening day chose to pick it up along with phnatom pain. While it is not the perfect shining star that no one esxpected it to be it is not all bad either. While some aspects of the game seem like repetitive busy work there are also some ebntertaining fight animations along with car/harpoon animations. All in All worth the play.

Karak

Really disappointed with Polygon and Gamespots scores. I believe that is an unfairly low score for the game.

I'm enjoying the game and it is very solid. It is honestly better than I thought it would be. I'm quite a big Max fan, but I wasn't holding much of a hope for the game.

I'd say it's at least worthy of a 7.5.

Damnit double posts sorry.

Polygons review is very odd simply because how they rate Mad Max they go out of their way to NOT rate Batman and other similar titles in a similar way. Which leaves a fairly large logic discrepancy in their thought process that I know a lot of viewers and some of my subscribers had pointed out to me before I watched it. Its pretty damn glaring.

Tigress

Heh, well I've been playing it more and enjoying it more. I think I'd put my rating up to an 8. I just destroyed my first convoy today and boy that is fun :). I could see how it is repetitive though but it's good for some mindless fun. I still think it's not a game I'd pay 60 bux (or rather I wish I hadn't paid 60 for it though part of that 60 was store credit) for overall but certainly 40/45 would be worth it.

Kezen

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game. In many respects it reminds me of SoW last year : formulaic, conservative, not ground-breaking by any stretch but excellently executed.

Looks grand on PC too and runs very well.

MiguelItUp

I've been playing it for majority of the day today and I really enjoy it. But I'm also a Mad Max fan in general. Regardless, I feel like the game is definitely solid and worth checking out. Kotaku saying "No" is a bit absurd in my opinion, but to each their own I suppose.

Dueck

Banned
I haven't played Mad Max yet (part uncertainty and part back logging myself into a corner), but whenever I have had to rate something I've generally allocated 50% of the points for technical aspects at 50% for everything else. If a game works perfectly, that's, say 5/10 before considering anything else it does.

Based on what opinions I've read, it honestly seems like a 7.5~ out of 10 is the lowest this should be from an objective standpoint. It works well and people always have several elements to praise.

We'll see how I feel after I actually play it though, right now I'm just weighing the various pieces of information.

I haven't played Mad Max yet (part uncertainty and part back logging myself into a corner), but whenever I have had to rate something I've generally allocated 50% of the points for technical aspects at 50% for everything else. If a game works perfectly, that's, say 5/10 before considering anything else it does.

Based on what opinions I've read, it honestly seems like a 7.5~ out of 10 is the lowest this should be from an objective standpoint. It works well and people always have several elements to praise.

We'll see how I feel after I actually play it though, right now I'm just weighing the various pieces of information.

Yes, I can't see how anyone could complain about the animations, physical combat or car combat really. Those are all strengths, IMO. The main characters animations are just as good as any released Uncharted game.

dealer-

- An on/off option for all the HUD/UI on screen stuff
- An on/off option for the button prompts when enemies attack
- An option to switch from holding to just pressing the button to get into the car, climb ladders, etc.
- Increase the amount of fuel that is used while just driving
- Controller sensitivity options for both the left and right analog with separate options for Max and the Car since both are controlled by the left analog stick
- Increase the amount of health loss/damage taken during storms especially on foot
- Increase the amount of health loss when getting side hit by a car
- Getting hit head on by a car while on foot or run over while on the ground should result in instant death
- Eliminate regenerating health for enemy cars (mainly convoys) unless Max dies
- Add in a stamina bar when running. If your stamina runs out, the only way to fill it would be via water and food...same as health basically...should also apply when in fury mode
- Make the jump double what it is so Max can jump higher

Some of these sound too brutal for the sort of game it is. Avalanche games have arcadey elements like in Just Cause. I mean, they could a hardcore mode I guess but I wouldn't want instant death when getting hit by a vehicle.

Xbox One or PS4? Torn, but not seen any comparisons at all so far... Both being 1080p sounds sweet, but no idea which.

First ever mulitplat on Xbox One for me because it was 1080p. Both are pretty much the same.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Some of these sound too brutal for the sort of game it is. Avalanche games have arcadey elements like in Just Cause. I mean, they could a hardcore mode I guess but I wouldn't want instant death when getting hit by a vehicle.

Maybe but it is a brutal game world after all. :)

Joking aside, I have been run over a few times head on and while on the ground and to be honest, im actually disappointed that I don't automatically die. Health wise, I barely lose any of it but during melee, a few punches and my health is half gone. I know why they didn't implement that but it just doesn't make sense. And while I have died several times, majority of those times came at one scavenging area during melee. Difficulty wise, just wish some other elements were added to increase the difficulty.

Maybe an "instant death" on/off option for when getting run over by car while on the ground or when the car hits you head on.

Futurematic

Thats weird, I wonder why they didnt just open a new studio in sweden.
The Big Grapple: Just Cause 3's Mission To Kickstart New York
Born and raised in the city, Avalanche New York's general manager David Grijns has always wanted to change New York City's reputation as being inhospitable to game development. So how does one studio hope to override a decades-long trend of little to no triple-A game development in America's largest and most iconic city?

Paganmoon

Seems odd that so many places lauded Shadow of Mordor last year and this is getting worse reviews. They seem awfully similar.

Not sure where that comparison comes from, other than it being an open-world game published by WB. So far (a few hours in) it feels closer to Batman: AK than it does Shadow of Mordor.

BigDug13

Is it possible that the whole "review bootcamp" shanigans crept its way into some reviewer opinions? Seems like such an opposing viewpoint between gamer impressions and reviews in this instance.

Marcelus

stupid critic reviews... After Witcher 3 is Mad Max one of the best games for this year... 10 hours playing and absolutely no problems with driving or combat. No stereotype, and the gameplay is very good. The game runs smoothly and look great

madmackem

It's pretty funny watching reviewers falling over themselves to say how good batman combat is etc when some of them are bagging on the combat in max which is lifted in almost every way from batman just feels a bit more heavy. This game feels like it's getting reviewed against mgs and not on its own, how can it live up to a game that was going to get tens places because yu know metal gear, how dare they release a game at the same time as our metal gear.

Decided to jump in. I loved the movies, and post apocalyptic stuff like Fallout. Having never played Asassians creed, and barely played (like an hour or so tops) batman arkham asylum and shadows of mordor, this game should seem pretty fresh and awesome. Without the shadows of mordor part two / batman combat that it's getting criticized for being a negative for me.

It's pretty funny watching reviewers falling over themselves to say how good batman combat is etc when some of them are bagging on the combat in max which is lifted in almost every way from batman just feels a bit more heavy.

Eh I dont agree with this.

As much as Im enjoying Mad Max, Batmans combat system has a lot more depth to it; theres a much larger variety of enemies to fight and more unique ways of taking them down and it all flows together much more fluidly than MM.

Also the camera in Batman is much better, I dont know how many times Ive been killed in this game because there was a guy running at me with an unblockable attack off screen that I didnt see until he connected.

Not saying that Mad Max's combat is bad, its just more shallow.

heringer

Eh I dont agree with this.

As much as Im enjoying Mad Max, Batmans combat system has a lot more depth to it; theres a much larger variety of enemies to fight and more unique ways of taking them down and it all flows together much more fluidly than MM.

Also the camera in Batman is much better, I dont know how many times Ive been killed in this game because there was a guy running at me with an unblockable attack off screen that I didnt see until he connected.

Not saying that Mad Max's combat is bad, its just more shallow.

I agree. It does a few things better, though. The parry button, for instance, isn't failure proof. You have to time hitting and parrying right because if you are caught in the middle of a punching animation, Max won't have the time to parry. In Batman, as long as you press the button inside the huge window, you are fine. Also no ice skating, so you have to position yourself a bit more carefully. The animations and sounds are more brutal and satisfying too, imo.

But the combat in Arkham games definitely offer more possibilities. However, you don't really need to make use of the tools at your disposal unless you want high scores or complete challenges. You can easily complete the game without exploring the depth.

Top Bottom