• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Madame Web" | Rotten Watch

Draugoth

Gold Member

Rotten Tomatoes 17% (Critics ) 66% (Viewers)
2NRb9jH.png

MetaCritic 30/100 (Critics - 15/100 (Viewers)

4HugOni.png

Trailers:

Movie Info​

In a switch from the typical genre, Madame Web tells the standalone origin story of one of Marvel publishing's most enigmatic heroines. The suspense-driven thriller stars Dakota Johnson as Cassandra Webb, a paramedic in Manhattan who develops the power to see the future... and realizes she can use that insight to change it. Forced to confront revelations about her past, she forges a relationship with three young women bound for powerful destinies...if they can all survive a deadly present. —Sony Pictures

Last edited:
As I said in the trailer thread:
Saw it in IMAX, didn't expect anything from it, but I actually enjoyed it; at least the first two acts.

AJS had a fun time ripping this apart. As a heads up, they accidentally say a couple of spoilers in the first video due to how laughable it was.

They are also tired of Sydney Sweeney being casted as a typical high schooler/early college chick when she is almost 30 years old at this point lol.

If anyone is wanting to watch this movie simply for Sydney Sweeney, watch the movie Voyeurs instead. You will get what you’ve asked for and more with that movie.

Edit: Also, ‘When you take responsibility, you will gain powerful abilities’ being a pivotal line in the film is hilarious.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I might go see this movie because it is so terrible. But I still haven't seen that Godzilla math movie, and I need to see it.

What was the line?
I'm not exactly sure what it was verbatim, but it wasn't that, it was a different way of saying with great power comes great responsibility.
She's basically being explained what she can do and that it's greater than any like them, and then he says something like when you take on the responsibility you will do great things.

he says something like when you take on the responsibility you will do great things.
This line is still bad. Maybe AJS got the line wrong word for word, but they had a point when they said it sounded like someone put the original Spiderman responsibility line in a different language and then translated it with AI.

This line is still bad. Maybe AJS got the line wrong word for word, but they had a point when they said it sounded like someone put the original Spiderman responsibility line in a different language and then translated it with AI.
Disagree, it's a reference to the original line because every spider-person gets a variation on the line, but it's being talked about in relation to her embracing what she can do, it makes sense in the full dialogue. Not giving angry joe any clicks, but it's definitely not some "bad translation".

Disagree, it's a reference to the original line because every spider-person gets a variation on the line, but it's being talked about in relation to her embracing what she can do, it makes sense in the full dialogue. Not giving angry joe any clicks, but it's definitely not some "bad translation".
Alright. What did you like and dislike about the movie?

Lunarorbit

"standalone origin story of one of Marvel publishing's most enigmatic heroines"

??? No one gives a flying fuck about madame web in the comics. These Sony spider adjacent movies blow.

Alright. What did you like and dislike about the movie?
The primary thing I liked was that the first two acts are played like a horror-lite movie, kinda like final destination; I feel like it could've benefitted from just going all the way with this instead of just leaning into it, just make it rated R, and give us some gruesome spider-deaths so the stakes feel even higher, with this they also could've made the paralyse/blinding scene of Web look way more convincing.
I also liked that while the "teens" have their moment of acting stupid, they also very quickly fall in line when things get real, instead of just making stupid decisions throughout the movie like in other films.
Same with the lead quickly accepting that she's indeed not crazy, though it does come with the typical scene of visiting a doctor and saying "nothing is wrong with your numbers"; just once I would wish to see a sciency person saying something like "ok, once means nothing, but it happening repeatedly is a pattern, and then it can become science", it's always just complete dismissal.

The three girls are just kinda there, Isabela was the best out of the three, but she also plays a character nobody has ever cared about, so it's a bit of a wasted slot. The sydney girl plays julia carpenter, who's a very important spider character, but she's nothing like her, the lead acts more like julia carpenter would, instead she's this timid, shy closed off girl; nothing wrong with that per se, but it's not julia.
The last thing I liked was how in act three Web starts using her future sight more like how the spider-sense operates, and how the current madame web, julia carpenter, uses it.

For the things I didn't like, I guess the lighter thing to start with would be some of the effects and costumes, you can tell this movie was made with a relatively lower budget, the effects at the start weren't that great, but there are some cooler shots later on like the villain running on the side of a building, or Web diving through her memories.
The villain's costume was a mixed bag, it looked like he modeled it after the original amazon spider-people, but the lenses are clearly spider-man lenses, which makes no sense; some more sinister looking lenses would've looked much better and tied into the horror vibes at the start.
What I disliked ties into the next set of costumes, the outfits for the future girls didn't look that great effects/material wise, julia's looked ok, but all of them were missing their lenses, and only because without their eyes there's no way the villain's super spy software would be able to identify and track them down, such a dumb decision; imagine spider-man with the mask on, but no lenses so you just see peter parker's eyes all the time....
The final shot of the movie also looks pretty silly because of this.

All in all the third act wasn't great, the mystery and preventing deaths in the first parts was much more interesting, and they should've gone all the way with that just straight up making it final destination till the end, but no R rating no bueno.

Edit: forgot, but there's also a short scene of actual on screen eating, which is always a plus in my book, I hate it when they have actors poking at a single pea and not eat anything (yes I understand all the troubles involved with on screen eating, but that's why I like it when I see it)

Last edited:
I'm disappointed. I was told this movie was Catwoman levels of bad. But it's mostly just bland and stupid.

At least two of the gals are easy on the eyes - Sydney Sweeney is even hotter as a redhead, and Isabela Merced is pretty fine as well. Looking forward to seeing Isabela as Hawkgirl.

TransTrender

Gold Member
That's not what the line is.
What was the line?
"When you take on the responsibility, great power will come. "

Which in no way even comes close to the power behind the original quote: With great power comes great responsibility.

I did like the Angry Joe crew take about how is it that these complete hack idiot writers, producers, and directors can keep making films even with their track record of failure. This is the same as looking at the writing crew for Rise of Skywalker and knowing even before the movie comes out it will be complete and utter garbage.

Last edited:

JCK75

Looking over the writing Career of Burk Sharpless I just have to ask.. who looked at this resume and was like.. Oh yea.. let's give you another major franchise!

Top Bottom