• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major sites/news media give their verdicts on the main E3 Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bayonetta 1 and 2 pack.
Mario Maker (includes retro and NSMB style)
Zelda
devil's third.
Captain Toad.
Toshiba game
x Official name.
That arena shooter

Toshiba game and that arena shooter?

yeah-okay.gif

maomao

Banned
grading on presentation alone

MS A
Sony C
Nintendo pass, due to digital only

I hope MS can keep this up and make the game after game/only about games a golden standard for E3. Get everything else out before the presentation and focus on only games that E3 audience care about.

Stealth50

Nintendo arguably has very good first-party games, perhaps even the best. But as long as big franchises like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, FIFA, Madden, NHL, NBA2K, UFC, Battlefield, GTA, CoD, Battlefront, Destiny, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, DOOM, The Witcher, Mortal Kombat, The Division, Metal Gear Solid, The Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Titanfall, Minecraft etc. aren't coming to their console, they will have a very hard time competing with MS, Sony and PC.

Exclusives are supposed to be the icing on the cake and not the cake itself.
X1, PS4, PC = Cake with good icing
Wii U = Great icing
Hard to win a cake competition without cake.

But then by that logic, everything was meh or easy to guess. though, this is mostly due to leaks and also gaming does not exist til 2015.

I don't think anyone saw LBP3 coming, or Grim Fandango. Heck, No Man's Sky showing up with Sony was a surprise (most people expect MS). We all knew UC4 was coming but I'd say that surprised the hell out of most people by how great it looked (evident by everyone saying it's CG).

-ZeldaU looked amazing. Jaw dropping, open world, so much amazing- 2015
-X got a decent story trailer, confired to be called Xenoblade Chronicles X (Cross)- 2015
-NFP got detailed, the ideas they showed off were actually really really cool
-A shooter called Splatoon was shown, actually a really cool concept that looked really creative and nice
-Bayonetta+Bayonetta2 in October 2014. With Link and Samus Costumes
-a bunch of Robo Chicken skits that legitimately had me laughing loudly
-Captain Toad is getting his own puzzle platformer game that looks amazing
-Devil Third got confirmed to be exclusive at IGN, Itagaki but looks meh
-Mii and Palutena for smash. Both trailers were excellent, Mii actually look really cool
-Yarn Yoshi got a new title, details, forgot if they gave a date
-Hyrule Warriors got September 26 release date, Midna (+Wolf Link) and Zelda playable
-Mario Party 10 post DE
-MArio maker, NSMB and SMB modes

Also, throughout all of E3 there will be Treehouse @E3 streaming (right now even), which means more room for announcements

Smash Invitational to be streamed at 4 pm, will be a blast for sure with commentators and players

Miyamoto's 3 games were'nt shown, yet....
But StarFox was confirmed along with two other games

And the digital event had some great humor outside of all of that too

But you see you are not allowed to think that Nintendo won. I mean they didn't have presenters and c-tier celebrities announcing CG trailers by awkwardly citing speeches that someone else wrote for them for two hours. And then every one knew Zelda was coming, that can't be a megaton when we have such shocking reveals like Halo and Uncharted that no one could have seen coming.

I'm exaggerating but that seems to be the tone of many posts in this thread lol.

I don't think anyone saw LBP3 coming, or Grim Fandango. Heck, No Man's Sky showing up with Sony was a surprise (most people expect MS). We all knew UC4 was coming but I'd say that surprised the hell out of most people by how great it looked (evident by everyone saying it's CG).
No one saw LBP3, the fourth entry into the LAP franchise, coming? Really? Grim Fandango was the only surprise.

Edit: that should be fourth entry in the LBP franchise.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The way this is obviously splitting along party lines at least means that each platform holder had plenty of stuff their fans were interested in. Could be worse. Usually has been.

BokehKing

Banned
I would rank it

1)nintendo
2)sony
3)Microsoft

Yeah Microsoft made it about games, but I'm not interested in them

SONY was Sony, great content with the usual 20 minute corporate filler

NINTENDO - Open world Zelda, nuff said

Enosh

Exclusives are supposed to be the icing on the cake and not the cake itself.
X1, PS4, PC = Cake with good icing
Wii U = Great icing
Hard to win a cake competition without cake.
I see this as a fundamental difference of what people want from consoles
for nintendo fans the exclusives itself are the cake, that's why people keep going on and on about "OMG NO EXCLUSIVES" when it comes to MS and Sony, they just don't understand that third party games would be the main thing that interests people

of course the question being like always if those nintendo fans alone can support a system without the people who think exclusives are just a bonus to a variety of third party offerings

But you see you are not allowed to think that Nintendo won. I mean they didn't have presenters and c-tier celebrities announcing CG trailers by awkwardly citing speeches that someone else wrote for them for two hours. And then every one knew Zelda was coming, that can't be a megaton when we have such shocking reveals like Halo and Uncharted that no one could have seen coming.

I'm exaggerating but that seems to be the tone of many posts in this thread lol.
no people are just saying they don't like the games nintendo is offering, which is a completely valid opinion
I have no idea where you got the rest from

Pretty much that though.

R0ckman

But then by that logic, everything was meh or easy to guess. though, this is mostly due to leaks and also gaming does not exist til 2015.

Not really, Zelda Wii U open world was constantly talked about before its reveal, they reveal a trailer and ONLY show what we expected. We get a bunch of trailers for games that we already knew about but get released in 2015. We have no clue what the hell happened to SMT x FE.

Devil's Third looks rubbish too.

Honestly, I thought Nintendo's was pretty meh. Was hoping for F Zero.

You're lucky they didn't troll on beggars of that franchise in the skits too.

If Sony did manage to fit their 70 games on the show floor reveals on stage would that color anyone's view? Or it was better they were sprinkling game announcements beforehand

Kssio_Aug

wonder if ms is pissed, all they showed were games, but a lot of the media are saying sony still won.

Yeah, if I were them, I would be.

I mean, I really dont understand why someone would say Sony had a better quality E3 if not by their personal game taste. The event quality of MS was better overall!

People said MS did not presented any surprise, but I diagree. Scalebound and Phantom Dust were both unexpected, not saying that Halo Collection was only a rumour and got oficially announced exactly how people wanted it to be. And they could have gained more claim if they reserved Forza Horizon 2 announce for the show, but still that was an E3 announce imo, just not a surprise anymore.

On the other hand Sony showed LBP3, what was a great surprise, also a already rumoured title (Bloodborn, aka Project Beast) and more gameplay of The Order, what was amazing, but completely expected aswell. They only showed Uncharted to let the audience more happy, but it wasnt much different from their first reveal, since it was pratically a CGI.

Other then that, what both showed was pratically multiplatform titles, so I would not say that MS or Sony won the E3 by showing them. No Mans Sky was a pleasantly surprise, but I think thats multiplatform, right?

I would say that it was almost equally good. But imho MS had more big surprises and a more direct and solid conference. Sony got some extra claim because of The Order and Bloodborn I believe.

Devil's Third looks rubbish too.

Honestly, I thought Nintendo's was pretty meh. Was hoping for F Zero.

I was hoping for TLG, Sony's conference was worse than EA's

You see how that works?

Btw, for those of you who haven't seen the digital event, go watch it. You're missing something great

Zelda U was like this

Looks like a painting or concept art. It's IN GAME
You see that mountain, you can go there. You see those white towers. That might be Hyrule Castle, the world is HUGE. You can enter any area in any direction you want. Aunoma specifically talked about the open world aspect of OG Zelda before talking about this

I mean, this won E3 for Nintendo for me. Otherwise would've still tied with Microsoft for first

One thing I really like is that it feels like Nintendo is competing this year with what they showed. Last year ND was dismissed, this year there is a large number of people arguing for them as the winners, including me

My scores seem to reflect these opinions pretty closely.

Microsoft: B-

Solid show with plenty of games, but no huge surprises and plenty of CG trailers. Halo Collection, Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2 look great and the future announcements were solid. Spencer opened the show with a clear message that their looking to fix the problems that destroyed the XB1's unveiling, and they're well on the way to doing that if they continue in this direction.

EA: D-

One of the worst conferences they've done. Appreciated the quick look at Battlefront and Dragon Age looks good, but apart from that we saw a lot stuff that was either A: not ready to be shown (Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge) or B: yearly releases (I buy FIFA every year but E3 isn't the place to be focusing half your show on, and The Sims being shown every year now is a tad tiring).

Battlefield Hardline was focused on way too much for a game that on the most part seems to be pushed as their yearly shooter cash grabber. BF fans are bound to be disappointed by this game, and I really wish it was developed as a game without the BF title as it could shine on it's own rather than being compared to previous BF games.

Ubisoft: D+

Seems to be getting highly overrated on GAF. Apart from the promising Rainbow 6 (which seemed way too staged for true multiplayer footage), most stuff we saw was CG trailers of games shown at other conferences. Assassin's Creed looks good but it still seems safe, and the time given to casual titles just lost me as it always does at E3. Valiant Hearts was a surprising addition though.

Sony: A-

Was the longest but in turn had the most info of any show. Fell flat in the middle after a strong start but finished strongly. Also had the most surprises which always makes a conference great. Shows Sony's confidence and hopefully they can build on it in the future.

Nintendo: B+

Great show considering it's short length. Packed in new games (Zelda looks great!) and news for announced games and was very solidly edited. It only really lost focus in developer interviews for games which may have run a little overtime. With more info planned for the rest of the week Nintendo have a solid E3 coming up, but the event itself was probably lacking a few more big announcements to get to the level I enjoyed Sony's show.

I just don't feel like there was anything, especially in the Microsoft and Nintendo conferences, that is going to pull people who were truly undecided. I mean, I feel like 90% or more of the people who will buy the XBO for the Halo collection were going to be there eventually anyways.

I feel like Sony likely wins just by default--just by having most of the games that MS also has while (likely) being the better looking version.

No one saw LBP3, the fourth entry into the LAP franchise, coming? Really? Grim Fandango was the only surprise.

Edit: that should be fourth entry in the LBP franchise.

having previous entries doesn't make something a lock. people didn't really predict that LBP would show up. that means it was a surprise. maybe not a huge "holy shit no way" one, but still a surprise.

Sadist

Nintendo > MS >>> Sony

Nintendo's developer interviews weren't right for the format and the lack of 3DS game (Okay, SMT IV in EU is okayish, even if it's digital only) was pretty sucky, but overall I just like what they offered. Oh man, Captain Toad!

MS comes in close second. It featured a lot of games I don't care for, but to watch it was better than the horrible other pressers for the last four years. Great pacing, not a lot of bullshit, just games.

Sony was a bit... blegh. They had some good stuff, but the forced "oh we love you PS community" and the hardware talk/PS TV/Bendis bit wasn't that great.

cacildo

in fact we are all forbidden to say that nintendo won because nintendo miss teh pivotal third partiez (yeah, that bunch of crappy tripleA all the same games that bored everyone at sony and ms conferences)

MrBadger

Zelda can't win the show. It's a trailer for a game years away. That's like saying the Wii U Zelda Spider trailer won E3 2011.

There's a bit of a difference between a tech demo and a preview of a game that's actually being made and will be out next year.

Nintendo=Sony>Microsoft.

Nintendo had the best 1st party games. Sony had good 1st party games and all the 3rd party games that aren't on the Wii U. Microsoft had the 3rd party games as well, but I'm not feeling their 1st party output. They aren't bad, but they just don't appeal to me.

JLeack

Banned
Sony's show had the best content. Microsoft's was the most well presented. EA just sucked.

EDIT: And Nintendo... lol. I don't have words to describe how underwhelming that was.

rokkerkory

MS: B+
I will jump in when Halo MCC (4 full games, remastered 1080p/60fps, 100 mp maps) is available Nov 11th. FH2 takes the cake too. Ori is my game of show.

Sony: B
I will jump in when Uncharted 4 is available (looked amazing), would jump in this year but nothing stands out as must have exclusive. No Man's Sky is uber.

Nintendo: B-
Great secondary console for the Nintendo exclusives. Will likely nab one when it's less than $200. Zelda was WOW.

I thought all 3 had really solid conferences. Great time to be a GAMER!!!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
By that logic, why didn't sony just give up if every Multplatform title looked/performed worse on PS3?
Many people (including myself) did look at multiplatform games showcased on PS3 at previous E3s and say, "cool, I'll pick that up on Xbox 360". Nature of the beast. Demonstrating that a lot of multiplatform titles are coming to your platform is all well and good, but when that platform is the weakest of the 3 (including PC and PS4), it's not a sales pitch for your console. If I can get the same game in a better state elsewhere, then *shrug*

Exclusive experiences are what matter. Awesome looking games like Sunset Overdrive. The Halo collection. A proper Crackdown sequel. Project Spark. Killer Instinct. That's the only way MS will stay in the race, because on the multiplatform side, that ship has sailed.

Ishida

Banned
in fact we are all forbidden to say that nintendo won because nintendo miss teh pivotal third partiez (yeah, that bunch of crappy tripleA all the same games that bored everyone at sony and ms conferences)

Seriously, what is wrong with Nintendo Fanboys? You guys seem extremely bitter for some reason.

Sotha_Sil

My personal highlights from each conference came from surprising entries.

-For Microsoft, it was the incredible Master Chief Collection. A very impressive overall package, 343i really outdid themselves with that one. Inside, a timed exclusive, was also a welcome sight.

-For Sony, it was the timed-exclusives No Man's Sky and Abzu, and the ambiguously-exclusive Grim Fandango. Schafer said Fandango will be going to other platforms too, but was unclear about which ones.

As for letdowns, there were many. Fable probably needs to go away (and it is after Legends), and CGI-only reveals of Bloodborne, Phantom Dust, Crackdown 3, and Halo 5 were disappointing. More LBP and InFamous was meh.

I'm not going to award points to showing known multiplats like The Division, Batman, The Witcher 3, and The Phantom Pain, but those do look like they'll be blowing all of the MS and Sony first party games out of the water.

We can all agree on one thing, they gave us games. No boring numbers segments and no celebrities droning on and on about the game that they're advertising for endless amounts of time. Whether it was CG trailers or live gameplay, at least E3 is heading in the right direction as to what we all want to see.

That being said, I think Sony and Nintendo had great conferences. MS refocused on showing us games for 90 minutes, even though they lacked the bombshell moments the other two major conferences had.

I don't think there were that many meaningful exclusives from Sony the conference was mostly Andrew House taking jabs talking about how PS4 is just better, I'm just not sure how showing No Man's Sky, Destiny, FarCry 4, Mortal Kombat and Batman won it for some people you can play those anywhere.
The Order looks fantastic though along with Bloodborn but they need more explained before I can get onboard, and lets not forget lots of people like the idea of Suda51's games but a fraction of those people actually buy them or enjoy them.
I have questions about MS's stuff too like what does Conker mean for Spark, is Crackdown a reboot and how does it play? Phantom Dust had so little shown so I don't know about that but I'm interested. I still think that TLoU remaster on PS4 for 59.99 feels a little steep for existing owners, especially with Druckmann mentioning it's the true experience why couldn't they have mentioned that a year ago? I mean with the Master Chief Collection really setting a high bar for remasters at the same price it's hard to recommend. At least it's safe to say the gloves are off this year and MS is really making the XB1 worth it to their audience I can feel the shift from defensive to offensive with content, and you can't deny that MS took the high road this year, as much as I love competition I like real content not House's schoolyard jabs I was rolling my eyes whenever he was on stage wondering how I could get Tretton back on the stage, at least he didn't feel like a weasel trying to sell me on cool factor and Share button figures. (puts up flame shields to maximum :p)

Strictly

I was hoping for TLG, Sony's conference was worse than EA's

You see how that works?

Btw, for those of you who haven't seen the digital event, go watch it. You're missing something great

Zelda U was like this

Looks like a painting or concept art. It's IN GAME
You see that mountain, you can go there. You see those white towers. That might be Hyrule Castle, the world is HUGE. You can enter any area in any direction you want. Aunoma specifically talked about the open world aspect of OG Zelda before talking about this

I mean, this won E3 for Nintendo for me. Otherwise would've still tied with Microsoft for first

One thing I really like is that it feels like Nintendo is competing this year with what they showed. Last year ND was dismissed, this year there is a large number of people arguing for them as the winners, including me
Yes we've all played open world games before. You can do all those things in most open world games, it's not anything new.

Thrakier

Many people (including myself) did look at multiplatform games showcased on PS3 at previous E3s and say, "cool, I'll pick that up on Xbox 360". Nature of the beast. Demonstrating that a lot of multiplatform titles are coming to your platform is all well and good, but when that platform is the weakest of the 3 (including PC and PS4), it's not a sales pitch for your console. If I can get the same game in a better state elsewhere, then *shrug*

Exclusive experiences are what matter. Awesome looking games like Sunset Overdrive. The Halo collection. A proper Crackdown sequel. Project Spark. Killer Instinct. That's the only way MS will stay in the race, because on the multiplatform side, that ship has sailed.

The issue imo is, since the gap between consoles is noticable bigger than last gen, every multiplatform game kinda is almost like an exclusive game for sony, at least if you own both consoles. And if you are interested in mp games mostly like Ass Creed etc. then you are better of buying just a PS4. So there is really not much for the XB1 besides Halo. Every other game they offer seems to be equally matched or beaten by Sony. I don't see the appeal of the xb1 - I'm saying that as a PC only gamer, I'm not a Sony fan either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom