• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major sites/news media give their verdicts on the main E3 Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Nintendo absolutely gets destroyed with games, that's the point. I listed both PS4 and XB games to be fair. If we're talking sheer quantity of great games, what is so hard to process that Nintendo cannot compete when they are missing pivotal 3rd party games alone? Nintendo brought a handful of interesting games and I want a WiiU more now but let's not kid ourselves here, they can't even hold a candle when they don't have so many games which will be on PS4 or XBor both.

And while I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it. See, as a PC gamer, I don't see it that way. I see it as, what was exclusive, because I'm just going to get all 3rd party games on PC. IMO, Nintendo won simply because I saw games that were exclusive to Wii U that I wanted more. Only games that interested me from MS was Sunset Overdrive, Evolve (which barely had gameplay), and the Dead Rising DLC. For Sony, LBP 3, Grimfandango, and maybe Uncharted. Yet from Nintendo, Smash Brothers, Yoshi's Yarn World, Xenoblade X, Beyonetta 2, Splatoon, Devil's Third, Toad's Adventure.

Neither one of us is really wrong here, but when it comes to my opinion, Nintendo won.

Your avatar is amazing lol

All of my avatars have been plus sized versions of female video game characters.

DukeBobby

Nintendo - 7.5/10
Microsoft - 7/10
Sony - 7/10
Ubisoft - 6/10
EA - 3.5/10

My grades were a little too high yesterday, so I've lowered them a bit.

Overall, not the most exciting E3 ever. A bit dull, to be honest. I would have loved at least one hilarious trainwreck.

Surely you judge an E3 conference on exclusives and surprises?

In which case, Microsoft comes comfortably last of the three, showing barely anything exclusive that wasn't a CGI teaser and an ETA in 2016.

As much as it doesn't really deserve to continue resting on it's laurels, Nintendo has to score higher than Microsoft due to a major Zelda release alone, that's just so significant and so likely to be excellent that it single handedly blows something like a CGI teaser of Crackdown out of the water.. Which, as much as people may have enjoyed, is still just a sequel to a game with a meteoritic score in the low 80s compared to one of the biggest series of all time with some of the hands down best games ever in it.

And finally Sony, may have had the less enjoyable conference to watch but covered both bases with more surprises than either of the above (Grim Fandango, LBP3) and more notable exclusives.

Not really sure how people can say that Microsoft "won" simply due to having a better pace to the conference, the content still reflects the fact that the company has placed core games low in it's priority for the last few years. Phil Spencer can't change that in a few months of well meaning sound bites.

Either way, the days of E3s being truly amazing and mind blowing are probably over. Compare this to just about any E3 pre-2007 and it's pretty mediocre for all 3.

fasTRapid

Banned
EDGE's "confident Sony victory" article is missing from the OP.

Here's my verdict from that thread, which later got integrated into the Sony Press-Conference OT.

EDGE getting them 'I believe in Phil Spencer' stickers already fuming in the AM, I see.

I don't think either next-gen console manufacturer won this E3. Just like last year and the year before, IMHO Ubisoft had the strongest showing.
A throughout entertaining show with great games and a perfect pacing. Microsoft's was good, too structured as they had CG trailer after CG trailer in the end for their 2015 and beyond-lineup and no real surprises.
Sony had a few megatons to drop (e.g. LBP 3 out of nowhere, Far Cry 4 co-op and dat white PS4), but almost ruined their overall still good showing with the middle part,
where they completely drifted off to TV, TV, POWERS, shit talk. If they'd cut that out or shortened it to minimum, their press conference would have been the best of the decade.
Apart from those 30 minutes of horror their pacing was real good and their end was well as well. Heh.

Overall, I'd give the following grades:

Microsoft: B- (good show, but CG trailers and PC gameplay for Division/Witcher -.-)
EA: E (I don't think, we have to argue about that one, lol)
Ubisoft: A (no low-points and Aisha Tyler, pacing was perfect and they have the greatest games)
Sony: B+ (Strip that 30 minutes of horrific sute talk and we have ourselves a solid A as well)

So out of the two console manufacturers, yes, Sony won. They had more games, more gameplay and also a broader array of genres.
Nintendo's completely disconnected from the market and relegated to niche. I gave their Direct today an E-, because the only highlight was Splatoon, which is coming in 2015. Also no presser is a big, big minus.

Each manufacturer's show featured sequels - Batman 4, Call of Duty 9, Battlefield 5 (or I guess 4.5 if Hardline is it's own thing), Far Cry 4, Mortal Kombat 10, Dead Island 2, Assassin's Creed 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Tomb Raider 7 and so on.

Each manufacturer's show had sequels for their own established IP - Infamous 3.5, Uncharted 4, Zelda 8, Mario Party 10, Crackdown 3, and so on.

Each manufacturer's show had expected IPs - new, old and reimagined - in standard genres...zombies were all over the place, platformers, shootbang stuff, race cars, indie stuff.

On the traditional AAA/console retail front, everyone lost. None of the games announced were stuff we didn't know about or expect, and few of them were coming out this year. No Man's Sky remains the only thing that seems like its both larger budget console retail (with the appropriate polish/publishing/support), and unlike anything else before it.

On the indie front, Sony won this as they have far and away the most support.

As a long-time fan, Nintendo's was exciting - but I don't know how excited anyone who isn't a Nintendo fan is going to get. The average casual/big box retail gamer would probably dig Sony's the best overall.

Nintendo absolutely gets destroyed with games, that's the point. I listed both PS4 and XB games to be fair. If we're talking sheer quantity of great games, what is so hard to process that Nintendo cannot compete when they are missing pivotal 3rd party games alone? Nintendo brought a handful of interesting games and I want a WiiU more now but let's not kid ourselves here, they can't even hold a candle when they don't have so many games which will be on PS4 or XBor both.

Nintendo doesn't get destroyed with games if you consider the Wii U a second platform for most people. Primarily play on PC/PS4/Xbox One, but when choosing your second console to play, Nintendo's Wii U offerings stack up well against anyone else's exclusives.

It's certainly somewhat defeatist to consider the Wii U as only a secondary console, but that's the reality at this point.

Random17

Sony's conference was disappointing, especially compared to last year's conference where they undoubtedly hit it out of the park.

I think this conference is a partial reversal of the events in 2013 actually, where Microsoft had a more coherent message about games (somehow), while Sony focused on some awfully boring things and other extremities, e.g. TV.

One of the biggest criticisms of MS conference/reveal last year was their focus on extremities and media as opposed to games, and by that same criteria I think Sony really should have left the extra stuff on the side this year.

Also, that Edge analysis is awful, especially the bit on the MCC. Best selling game on Amazon (last time I checked) is a very strong argument that it had a positive reception. I agree with some of the other articles talking about the change in MS's message this year.

TLDR: MS wins, Sony isn't second place either. Still thinking about the others, but EA is definitely last. I haven't seen the Nintendo event yet*.

Edit: Biggest disappoint from MS was the overuse of CGI. More gameplay will hopefully be revealed soon.

cripterion

Interesting thoughts. I don't think anyone WON. I don't think its WINNABLE in the normal sense.
Both did well but due to the overall safety that they both seemed to present with neither had any wow moments but MS did bring back more interesting IP's that I didn't expect(Despite the Leaks) and seemed to stretch a bit farther with odd stuff than I ever expected.

Agreed, I think it all comes down to preference. The games that I'm looking forward to the most are multiplats though.

At its press conference last night, Sony casually sauntered on stage, slipped its hands nonchalantly into its pockets, offered up an expressive French shrug, and won E3 2014. Microsoft and its legion of fans could do nothing but look on with envy as Sony unveiled hit after hit for the PS4. For all of Microsoft’s talk about games, the only platform exclusive that might be a critical success — Halo 5 — was reduced to a 60-second-long pre-rendered clip. The Division looked fantastic, but it’s a cross-platform game. There were some smaller, art game-like titles that looked good — but nothing that Microsoft felt warranted more than a scant few seconds of gameplay footage. Sony, on the other hand, essentially showed off everything a gamer could want at E3: A new white PS4 (to celebrate the release of Destiny); a release date for PS Now and the PlayStation TV streaming box; more details about the Morpheus VR headset; the beautiful art game No Man’s Sky; and actual in-game/in-engine footage from two massive exclusives (LittleBigPlanet 3, Uncharted 4) and many more smaller titles (No Man’s Sky, a remake of Grim Fandango).

I8kq0uJ.gif

Man this whole thing sounds like it was written by Sony's number one fan.

jem0208

I know I'm biased but there's no way MS could lose after the Halo announcement.

We were freaking out in the HaloGaf IRC.

N.A

Banned
Microsoft: B (Good solid show)
Sony - First Half: A / Second Half: D (amazing games but could have removed at least 45 minutes)
Nintendo: B (Zelda looks incredible, other stuff was ok)
EA: F (They showed basically nothing)
Ubisoft: C (Rainbow Six & Assassins Creed looked good)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And if you'll get those games on PC?
Only PS4 game Im interested in that was shown was Bloodborune and Grim Fandago
MGS disappointed and so did Journey type game
No Mans Sky was cool

Outside of that, Nintendo was the winner for me
Microsoft was solid but was missing one giant megaton bomb to complete it
And you'll get those games on PC?So what? Good games are good games. And dozens won'even be available on WiiU. That's why I said Nintendo cannot compete with the other 2 especially PS4.

I'm surprised after 26 years of console gaming, you'd decide to toss in the towel
after only a single year into a new gen.

It's not a single year. The writing has been on the wall for ages. Console gaming has been increasingly travelling towards a destination were story comes first. Chasing that pot of gold that is the interactive movie at the end of the rainbow.

I was watching The Order segment and was thinking to myself "Yup, this seems appropriate given the developer lamented the fact that they had to make an actual game."

It's press X to continue narrative, now. Games made to appeal to people who can't be bothered to read books.

I miss games that were games. Discrete levels with clear objectives for completion, bosses with repetitive mechanics that could be learned and exploited, short affairs with huge replay value.

I truly haven't enjoyed playing video games on consoles for a long time. It's just that I'm only just now prepared to admit that to myself.

Kssio_Aug

They were all great, whats a rare thing! But for me MS had the better event. Overall their games got my attention the most.

sun-drop

MS had by far the best flow, i mean who could argue with just back to back to back games like they did, the set was pretty cool too.

but they needed more exclusives, whats the point in showing 3rd party multiplatform titles whith out some kind of exclusive aspect .. even the division guy had no clue as to what the exclusive content was :/

if yr going to have something at yr conf it needs to be exclusive, and sony, more than any other year they have shown up, went all out, everything had either exclusive access, exclusive content, beta's, alphas, 1st party exclusives...... was kinda shocking ...prob goes to show a massive power shift going on with their market lead right now and publishers wanting to deal with them. the powers part was a serious downer ...just show a goddam trailer, any one who wants to watch that will torrent it anyways. PSnow/PS tv ... rounds out a great slew of content they showed off. i thought sony crushed it

watership

The ExtremeTech article is bonkers. They bring MS down a few notches for showing multiplatform games, and then praise Sony for Destiny and No mans sky, which are mulitplatform games. My brain hurt. There were pretty even in the true exclusives in both conferences, with Sony's indy stuff probably pushing the edge in their favour, but it wasn't a tidal waves difference.

I think a lot of these reactions are okay though. The super leaks MS suffered lessened the impact of most of MS's reveals, and nothing can be done about that.

2013 E3: Majority said Microsoft won E3 because they showed Xbox One as a true multimedia box

2014 E3: Majority said Sony won E3 because they had the most WOW moments.

Nintendo had the most games I know I'll want to play and have the most faith will be good to great. Zelda, New Canvas Curse, Yoshi, Smash. Splatoons, X, Bayonetta, and Captain Toad all have my attention.

Sony had a strong indie presence and Bloodborne which I know I'll end up buying. Their exclusives looked pretty but I can't say I have faith in them to be great playing games.

Least excited about Microsoft. We'll see how the Japanese games turn out. Some good smaller titles that I'll end up being about to get elsewhere (PC)

I'll probably end up with a PS4 in 2015. Wii U is fine for now and maybe a slightly upgraded PC later this year.

jem0208

MS had by far the best flow, i mean who could argue with just back to back to back games like they did, the set was pretty cool too.

but they needed more exclusives, whats the point in showing 3rd party multiplatform titles whith out some kind of exclusive aspect .. even the division guy had no clue as to what the exclusive content was :/

I kind of agree. I feel like Horizon shouldn't have been announced before hand and they should have shown Quantum Break. Had Horizon been announced at E3. MS would not only have won. They would have knocked it out of the park.

SmokyDave

For me, Sony & MS pretty much tied. Both showed some fantastic games that I can't wait to get hold of. MS had the stronger showing on exclusives, but Sony showed the two games I'm most looking forward to.

Nobody cares about Nintendo outside of their existing fanbase.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
All I can say is that I wish that I lived in the parallel universe that ExtremeTech article has fallen out of.

I won E3.

Uncharted
Bloodborne
Smash Bros
Zelda
Forza
Crackdown

Yes yes yes.

A new Tomb Raider? A sequel to Guardian Of Light? Grim Fandango?! Batman looked ridiculously good. Yes please.

Only things I did not like at all were Fable Legends being some bullshit and the middle of that Sony conference (Powers??) made me want to cry. Other than that I'm glad I have a PS4/Wii U and am looking forward to getting an Xbox down the line. If I had to rate them it's pretty easily Sony > Nintendo > MS for me, and gee what do you know that's also my preference in general.

Microsoft: A-
Sony: B-
UbiSoft: B+
EA: C-
Nintendo: ??

Microsoft had the best conference. I own a PS4 and have been on MS's case for more than a year but that conference made me realize that in general I like MS's exclusives better. Once again MS gets best game of the E3 with this year's entry of Sunset Overdrive. While there was nothing home run worthy, the conference made me want an XB1 just a little bit more.

Sony's conference was hurt not only by poor pacing, but that my enthusiasm for Destiny is starting to falter, and has gone negative for The Order. No Man's Sky was their best game but I don't believe it even has a release date and is too small of a game to carry the show. If I intellectually analyze the pros and cons of the consoles, the PS4 still comes out on top, but I should not have to go through such mental gymnastics. The conference should have made that painfully and abundantly clear, which it failed to do.

UbiSoft had a fun little conference that even got me to consider that fitness game of theirs. EA on the other hand was utterly forgettable and...Wait, what was I going to say?

Sony showed a lot of good content, but their presentation was sort of a mess. Audio issues, presenters talking too early before audiences could settle down, the middle dragged pretty badly with media features, F2P garbage that nobody really cares about, some TV show thing called Powers... I also felt that they focused too much on Destiny... almost like they were razzing Microsoft with some sort of "we have Bungie" sentiment. Overall, I felt it was rather inconsistent. But keep in mind that I am talking about the presentation and not what was shown.

Microsofts event was swift on the other hand. They didn't focus any any one game for a particularly long time, they moved from title to title rather seamlessly, there were no moments that felt like they dragged on for too long. Microsoft put the multimedia and TV stuff to side to focus on games and only games. They also didn't bring up Kinect at the show at all... which is understandable given the backlash of last years E3. And they saved a few nice bombs for last. Overall from a presentation standpoint, Microsoft was strong, Phil Spencer really brought his A-game to the show.

Ubi Soft's conference was amusing to say the least... they were trying a bit to hard to appeal to the kiddies, with their f-bombs and "we're too cool for your ass" attitude. It wasn't Konami conference crazy or anything, but they tried to distance themselves from using all the typical PR laden rhetoric of the other conferences. They did show some good titles though.

EA's conference was quite dull, you could say it was the polar opposite of the Ubi Soft conference. Nothing really to say about this one.

Nintendo's non-conference was better than I was expecting it to be, but rather short. Some amusing things with Robot Chicken mixed in with developer talk. There were quite a few game highlights in their event too. I expected worse.

For me, the Sony and MS conference are virtually identical with the content they provided. I thought that their 3rd party content was great in both, and as a gamer who doesn't care about MS vs. Sony or Xbox vs. Playstation, I liked seeing extended gameplay segments of 3rd party games in their conferences even though they are not exclusives (AC:U for MS and Batman for Sony). MS relied too heavily on CG of future releases, though I thought Sony gaffed by having a few really boring, pointless and poorly constructed demonstrations... the 6 - 8 minute LBP3 demonstration, with unbalanced audio, and basically nothing but like "well, okay, it's LBP..." was weird. Followed up by the no-audio awkward presentation of the game where you can "become a magnificent dragon" or whatever he said.

I thought Sony picked it back up once the Bloodborn trailer dropped, which was a huge -- though expected -- announcement. THey lost the momentum with the TV stuff but picked it back up towards the end. Ending on Uncharted 4 was a great way to do it. Sony had more exciting long term releases (Bloodborn, Uncharted 4), but those are offset by the lack of anything in 2014. Sony's two biggest games for the next 6 months were there two games in 2013... GTAV and the Last of Us, and that's disappointing. GTAV was a wow moment for me because I didn't think Rockstar would make an announcement at E3, although it was tempured because we knew within 20 minutes that it would also be on X1 and PC (arguably a bigger impact is the PC release).

There were two big press conferences surprises for me: Ubisoft and Nintendo. Ubi's was so polished, showed a lot of promise, revealed interesting things, and showed perspectives of games that I was not expecting to be interested in. I went into the show with little interest in Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed: Unit, and the Crew. I went to bed on Monday with those being some of my most anticipate games of the year now. I've been cynical about Ubisoft for some time now, but they really knocked it out of the park with their pressers & their contributions to MS/Sony's presser.

And then, Nintendo. Nintendo probably sold me on a Wii U today, and they showed that they're committed to this platform and not giving up on it. I was expecting a half-hearted throw-in-the-towel of crap releases from Nintendo, and they showed that they're making a major push for the Wii U over the next year. I don't think that it'll save the platform, but it was without a doubt the best press conference.

Only one real stinker this year: EA. I watched their press conference and said to myself, "What have they been working on since June of 2013." The company has had no major releases in the year and they do not seem any closer with any of their major IPs... What we saw of Mirrors Edge was basically what we saw a year ago, but longer with a few more details. It was still just a teaser. The new EA-Big-like game on motorbikes and whatever sounds great, but... it was less than a tech demo. NHL looked great, the most impressive game, but it's an annualized sports franchise and while I like NHL and tollerate Madden, most do not. Otherwise, no major announcements or anything for any of their major franchises, no Mass Effect re-release, something that I was expecting and was really looking forward to. On top of all of that, their press conference felt poorly planned -- 10 minute developer diaries on shit nobody cares ago -- and then poorly executed, like with the stupid smoke announcement at the end of it... Like... what are you thinking EA.

For me:

1. Nintendo
2. Ubisoft
3a. MS
3b. Sony
10. EA

You guys expect too much with these grades...

Sony was a 9.
MS was an 8.5 or a 9 too.
Nintendo was easily a 9.
Ubi was a 7.
EA was a 3.

No clear winner to me this year.

Chuckpebble

For someone watching along at home. I think Nintendo's approach wins, and has the better overall reach. All of the awkward is edited out, and entertaining content is edited in and fine tuned.

For actual people in the stands conferences, though, I'm leaning towards Sony over MS.

I say Nintendo won.

Microsoft had good showing but all their stuff got leaked.
Sony had a good showing but they had a 20 minute snoozefest in the back half of the conference.
Nintendo had all games no filler with the Beyonetta announce and Zelda looking amazing I gotta give the edge to them.

Dizzy

Banned
Nintendo really surprised me. I'd say they stole the show. I'm glad I bought a Wii U a few weeks back.

With Sony and MS I feel the exclusives weren't so hot. The third party games looked great though, but I've come away more hyped to upgrade my PC than buy an X1 or PS4.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Does Microsoft and Sony showcasing games that are going to be on each other's systems really count for much? You can argue about the flow of the presentations all you want (Sony managed to arrange a 25 minute sequence that even more boring than Wonderbook) but the exclusive lineups for this year on all of the consoles do not seem that terrific.

If this fall is anything other than Destiny, Call of Duty, AC Unity, and Battlefield blowing everything else out of the water in terms of sales, I'll be shocked. It almost seems like the first parties are deliberately avoiding competing with them, looking at the lineups.

Rad-

I only watched MS and Sony. If I have to give scores then

MS: 7.5/10
Sony: 7/10

I wanted more new RPGs.

Buzzman

Banned
I really liked the Nintendo press conference, Sony/MS did nothing for me honestly. But then that's because I'm mainly a PC gamer and I'm already getting the superior versions of most of the AAA/indie titles.

PJV3

You guys expect too much with these grades...

Sony was a 9.
MS was an 8.5 or a 9 too.
Nintendo was easily a 9.
Ubi was a 7.
EA was a 3.

No clear winner to me this year.

That's about how I see it.
MS seemed to throw everything but the kitchen sink into the conference but still had a conference roughly on par with Sony.

Sony had a terrible middle section, so MS win the no filler award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom