• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major sites/news media give their verdicts on the main E3 Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrus

Banned
Maybe I'm biased but I hated the Sony conference, the blonde big guy was TERRIBLE the tv tv was terrible, I liked UC4 and bloodborne. I think MS had the far better conference and focus but that's just me lol

Gator86

I don't see how Nintendo wins when they're missing practically every major 3rd party game. On sheer quantity and quality, they can't even hold a torch to PS4 and XB. Especially PS4.

I don't think it's possible to really compare Nintendo with those two anymore. Nintendo is Nintendo. The WiiU is going to be a bunch of solid 1st party games and that's it for the most part. I can't imagine anyone considering an Xbone or PS4 for COD or some huge franchise is gonna drop cash on a WiiU after that conference. Nintendo just doesn't even seen like part of the same market to me anymore. I think they're better off that way to some extent. I'm happy with my PS4 as a primary console and WiiU for Nintendo stuff.

What. The. Fuck.

My wife remarked about how lifelike video game graphics were getting when we saw that during Sony's conference, and I told her that was just a CG trailer...

giphy.gif

Go tell her it's actually in game and watch her reaction. ND just has that effect on people.

Maybe I'm biased but I hated the Sony conference, the blonde big guy was TERRIBLE the tv tv was terrible, I liked UC4 and bloodborne. I think MS had the far better conference and focus but that's just me lol

Adam Boyes was awesome dude. Shawn Layden's whole segment should have been cut though, I agree. Sony and MS had the same amount of time focused solely on games, it's just Sony had an extra 30 minutes, most of which they used for non-gaming stuff.

I don't think that discredits that 1 1/2 they spent solely on games, does it?

Darksol

I think they all did a good job this year. MS made a decent enough turn around (even though the later half of their conference was admittedly 2016 titles), Sony offered a shit-ton of variety and a couple of shockers, and Nintendo played to the core. Three different approaches, but I enjoyed them all.

For me, personally, it was

1. Sony
2. Nintendo
3. Ubi
4. MS
5. EA

In that order.

It was a sad year for me. E3 has always been like Christmas for me. I've woken up in the wee hours of the morning like an excited child to see all the goodies to be bestowed upon me. I have traditions, like getting McDonald's hotcakes every time after the first conference in the morning. I sit around watching stage shows and generally getting wrapped up in the magic of the moment.

But this year there was no magic. This year, an uncle got drunk, kicked the dog and fell into the Christmas tree. Nearly everything shown was from an industry going down a path that I do not want to follow.

I probably won't even bother watching next year. And I'm pretty much done with console gaming.

After 26 years, that's a pretty sad conclusion. :(

geordiemp

I'd grade them like this, for now. Still a lot to digest.

Nintendo: A
Sony: B
Microsoft: C+

I would go

Sony B+
Microsoft B
Nintendo E

I saw only Zelda as an interesting game...

Smash I thought the Amiibo skylander toys would make buying a smash brothers game with many characters an expensive proposition and almost like a toy micro-transaction to unlock things in a game you have jus bought,

Maybe I understood the toys wrong, if so I apologise.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't think it's possible to really compare Nintendo with those two anymore. Nintendo is Nintendo. The WiiU is going to be a bunch of solid 1st party games and that's it for the most part. I can't imagine anyone considering an Xbone or PS4 for COD or some huge franchise is gonna drop cash on a WiiU after that conference. Nintendo just doesn't even seen like part of the same market to me anymore. I think they're better off that way to some extent. I'm happy with my PS4 as a primary console and WiiU for Nintendo stuff.
Good point.

I think the amount of mixed consensus and genuine excitement for certain projects indicate that all 3 had a pretty good E3 for the first time in ages.

This year and next are looking surprisingly solid for console gaming.

Well said. Everyone liked something different in each conference. But i think most can agree that EA conference was the worst.

Zomba13

Nintendo > MS = Sony > Ubi >>>>>>>> EA.

Nintendo was a pleasant surprise showing things to get hype about for this year and the next.
MS was games games games and while they weren't all ones I want it has made me want an xbone more.
Sony had some nice hits there but lose points for the talk of TV show, stats and other non game things.
Ubi showed some good games but like with all things ubi you need to wait and see for their games.
EA seemed like they were struggling to come up with games so just took a camera to some devs desks and asked them to talk vaguely about a game they were working on (though Battlefront did get me mega hyped if it can look as good as that in engine stuff on PC).

Nintendo conference did nothing for me, though I can appreciate the excitement for Zelda and the Mario creator. But two or three hits and people are declaring them the winner of E3? What nonsense. That show was all about preaching to the converted, and sadly, Im not among them.
Microsoft had that huge announcement with Halo Remastered, that itself was better than anything Nintendo announced.
Sony's conference dragged on, but at the end of the day, they showed more games than you can count on your fingers and toes.

Wait, this actually brings up a good question.

The games MS announced are all CGI, so they're late 2015 at the earliest, Scalebound and Crackdown are likely 2016 (at least, according to ntkrl).

So for early 2015 they only have QB, maybe Fable will ship in the summer.

So essentially, in a year between this June and next, they have:

SO, FH2 (also on 360), Halo Collection, and QB (with maybe Fable)?

Are they saving announcments for early 2015 for later or what?

And Dance Central, Shape Up, D4, and anything they publish on XBLA.

I'm confused, it's not as if Sony or Nintendo have dramatically larger lineups in the same timeframe, and it's not as if MS isn't going to be pushing 3rd party games just as hard as Sony to their fans.

Edit: and I hope everyone is not so naive to think that everything announced in the last 24 hours is going to ship when stated. A few fall games are going to slip to spring, a few spring games to fall, a few fall 2015 games to 2016 and beyond. Trying to quantify a list war is a fool's errand.

Usobuko

Banned
I thought Nintendo killed it this year. Conference didn't take itself seriously in a delightful manner and I'm interested in these newly announced exclusives on Wii U.

Splatoons
Captain Toad
Kirby Canvas 2
Mario Maker

Bayo 1 on Bayo 2 is a plus too.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, Nintendo showed nothing, absolutely nothing, that would grab audiences outside of already invested Nintendo fans, in my opinion.

Jomjom

Banned
Gotta agree with most of the press opinions on who "won". When I first saw the MS media briefing, I thought it was the best MS had ever done, and I still think that way. But Sony did just a bit better than them, but by the smallest of margins. MS definitely beat them in the way the information was presented, but Sony had the better information.

Tratorn

Nintendo imo had the best presentation in terms of entertainment, but they can't compete with MS and Sony because they don't have 3rd-partys. Devil's Thirds isn't really enough for that...
So for Nintendo-Fans it was a great show, but for everyone else there wasn't much interesting things besides some individual stuff maybe.

I wanted X, Zelda and Metroid.

Since they showed X and Zelda was a nice surprise too (I wish the artstyle was more like the 2012 Demo though), I was pleased. But I could never rate this higher than the other press conferences, since they just showed much more.

orochi91

It was a sad year for me. E3 has always been like Christmas for me. I've woken up in the wee hours of the morning like an excited child to see all the goodies to be bestowed upon me. I have traditions, like getting McDonald's hotcakes every time after the first conference in the morning. I sit around watching stage shows and generally getting wrapped up in the magic of the moment.

But this year there was no magic. This year, an uncle got drunk, kicked the dog and fell into the Christmas tree. Nearly everything shown was from an industry going down a path that I do not want to follow.

I probably won't even bother watching next year. And I'm pretty much done with console gaming.

After 26 years, that's a pretty sad conclusion. :(

I'm surprised after 26 years of console gaming, you'd decide to toss in the towel
after only a single year into a new gen.

Microsoft for me. They showed a lot stuff I love, like Dragon Age, The Witcher, and especially Halo: The Master Chief Collection. It was well paced, brought some awesome surprises in Crackdown, Scalebound and The Phantom dust, and was really a delight to watch.

Sony's was on pace to fly past Microsoft and then Shawn Layden took the stage. All of his stuff was just so god damn boring, and the way he spoke (and the politician hand movements) had me tuned off immediately. Uncharted, Grim Fandango remastered, and Far Cry looked great, but the middle just got too damn slow for me.

Nintendo was good, but nothing really screamed "I need to buy a Wii U now!" Which is what I was hoping for from the presser.

Nintendo wins
I was hyped at all moments
I was laughing my ass off, out loud, incredibly loudly, at the beginning

And here's the crazy part
We can't fully judge them yet. They showed Devil's Third on the IGN stream, Mario Party 10 at the Nintendo Minute thing, and we have the Treehouse @ E3 throughout E3, of which the first stream will be in just 12 minutes.

All topped off my the deliciousness that wll be the smash invitational

Nintendo wins

EL CUCO

Sony reassured me that I own the correct console now and for the future.

MS reassured that there is still nothing for me to be excited about. Waiting for Gears.

I give the nod to Sony. If it was garbage, I would've called it that way, as well.

Dysun

All the conferences had their moments. Strictly first party, Nintendo had the most interesting stuff but the majority of the games I'm interested in are going to come out for the PS4 so that's where my attention was for the most part

B.O.O.M

Sony>MS>>Nintendo for me

Sony would have done so much fking better if they cut the time slot on the tv segment..OR showed an actual trailer for it. Because it honestly sounds interesting and is free for PS+ users.

Also even if they didn't announce many new stuff for vita..they could have shown off games like Over My Dead Body 2, Danganronpa 2 and Freedom Wars...those are coming this year and looks awesome and hence deserve more attention. Dumb move to exclude them as they would have improved the diversity and added a bit more of a Japanese gaming flavor the proceedings as well.

MS did many things right...but too many CG trailers and multiplats imho. But it was a really solid showing by them. I think part of the issue is we know in the back of our minds that these multiplats will most likely perform better on the PS4.

Nintendo....Zelda was fantastic in the way it was shown. But that's it. I can see why NNintendo core crowd will enjoy the show but overall found it to be decent. 3ds was barely mentioned. What's a third party? But yeah the Zelda showing was one of the best across all the conferences tho..looked really cool. oh and Amiiga is a dumb name..but clever idea

Overall however, I thought this was a great E3. EA lacked sadly but Ubi was also good

N.Domixis

Banned
And Dance Central, Shape Up, D4, and anything they publish on XBLA.

I'm confused, it's not as if Sony or Nintendo have dramatically larger lineups in the same timeframe, and it's not as if MS isn't going to be pushing 3rd party games just as hard as Sony to their fans.

I would consider those 2 irrelevant, kinect is dead.

sn00zer

MS had the best presentation, but I was more excited for the things Sony announced...... although if I was an Xbox fan I woulda gone nuts at some of those announcements

Microsoft had a solid show with no surprises and a heck of a lot of CG and wishful thinking. It was 90 minutes of Grovelling to their hardcore base for the mistakes they made. I liked it.

Sony had a bunch of surprises the better console exclusives but 30 minutes of its show was a waste of time. Mr Comic book guy and New SCEA guy should have had half the time they had.

Nintendo just had good dumb Nintendo fun

I give it to Nintendo but I am still not buying a Wii U.

Also is there No konami video this year? :/

Phediuk

Sometimes I feel like I live in a different universe from GAF when it comes to these press conference thread.

I didn't see a single thing in the Nintendo conference that interested me but I'll be buying at least half the games shown at Microsoft's. Witcher 3, Dragon Age, AC: Unity, etc.

Like people are claiming Nintendo "won" based on a 10-second Zelda cutscene? They said almost nothing about the game other than "open world", and who knows what that even means for Nintendo.

sublimit

Banned
No one is mentioning Nintendo yet they wiped the floor with both Sony's and MS's corpses.

Fucking "game journalism".

DSN2K

Microsoft had a solid show for me. I've been extremely negative on the Xbox One because frankly I've felt it was a train wreck of a platform from the get go, but they have steadied the ship and have got some exciting stuff coming in the forms of Sunset Overdrive and the Halo Collection.

Sony delivered in many ways. New stuff, empowered indie development, announced new services. PS4 platform is going have great things over the next few years, exciting times since I backed Sony this gen.

Nintendo serviced their fans well, plenty of new Nintendo content but again I looked at the press packages for 3rd party games and the list is poor. No Tomb Raider, No Batman, Watch Dogs but its late..meaning it will bomb. WiiU going to struggle to match the N64 or GameCube in sales but it is possible Nintendo can match its titles in quality. Certainly seem to be on their A game for Nintendo Core games. Smash, Kart, Mario, Zelda have never looked better.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am completely opposite side. Microsoft NAILED it. That Halo announcement, even though it was leaked. People didn't believe it. Because it was too good to be true. And now we have it, all for 60$. Just INSANE.

I wanted to see more first party or exclusive games from MS. It was great they showed games, and also solidified that they are getting games but I wanted to see more of a reason to owning all three consoles.

Seeing as though the Nintendo one is the only one I'm interested in watching + reading up on, Nintendo would be the winner for me.

Zelda's artstyle is great and the more open world will be a beaut too. Seeing Yoshi in action, new Kirby, the NFC figures in full and how they can be used was great.

The tease of more Star Fox (possibly episodic releases) was just the icing on a very nice cake.

Can't wait for the rest of the presentations, 2014/15 is looking brilliant.

Only other thing I'm interested in is Uncharted, Phantom Pain and Rainbow 6 so Sony gets second place.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a different universe from GAF when it comes to these press conference thread.

I didn't see a single thing in the Nintendo conference that interested me but I'll be buying at least half the games shown at Microsoft's. Witcher 3, Dragon Age, AC: Unity, etc.

Like people are claiming Nintendo "won" based on a 10-second Zelda cutscene? They said almost nothing about the game other than "open world", and who knows what that even means for Nintendo.

Thats because most consumers have given a pass to wii u and so has the gaming press.

geordiemp

Yeah, Nintendo showed nothing, absolutely nothing, that would grab audiences outside of already invested Nintendo fans, in my opinion.

This...I tuned in thinking maybe I could get excited for Nintendo again and thought the amiibo looked like an expensive toy micro-transaction to unlock a character....

Only Zelda and there was no gameplay - looked like a cut scene.

XB1 is looking more interesting for its exclusives and a second next gen console after ps4 now....

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo had best of show though.

I love my PS4, but Nintendo dropped the bombs.

I would consider those 2 irrelevant, kinect is dead.

Dance Central is the best motion game ever made, so blah blah blah opinions.

Again, pointless to quantify list wars. If the best argument you have is "game X doesn't count because I never cared about that franchise" congrats, there are 10 people who feel the same way about your favorite games.

GBo

Neo Member
What others? Also Destiny stuff are timed exclusive.

I think he's referring to exclusive content in Watchdogs. Assassins Creed etc.

And as far as I know, the Destiny exclusive stuff isn't timed? Has it been stated either way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom