• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

watershed

Banned
No new tracks is ridiculous. Nintendo doing as little as possible for this Deluxe edition while still trying to entice their hardcore fans with battle mode. Sneaky bastards.

It won't happen but I would love it if you could race Rainbow Road 64 as 3 laps (even if just an option). It's such an amazing remake but it's over all too soon! Which is ironic given how long and boring the original version was.

hatchx

Banned
Is there any reason to believe they won't add more to this game?

Even without new courses, we don't have all the details do we? Is there online for the battle mode? Could there be more options to the video replays? Some sort of single/player trainer? More item customization? Do we even know all of the battle mode courses?

I just wonder if it's literally cut and paste Mario Kart 8 with an added 4-course battle mode?

Sorry for my ignorance havn't read everything about this game yet....

Kebiinu

Banned
They said there's gonna be some surprises in Battle Mode, and maybe they'll have some additional secrets? The original was heavy on unlocking parts/characters, so what incentive would they give players who want to go for gold in all cups and CC's? Let's not jump to conclusions.

hatchx

Banned
They said there's gonna be some surprises in Battle Mode, and maybe they'll have some additional secrets? The original was heavy on unlocking parts/characters, so what incentive would they give players who want to go for gold in all cups and CC's? Let's not jump to conclusions.

What about Battle Mode Grand Prix?

I'm of the opinion, just because there aren't more tracks (yet...they could be DLC later on), they could still include other updates and new modes?

I'm also of the opinion Diddy Kong Racing has gotta be a thing, because why the fuck is he not in the game yet?

oatmeal

Banned
What about Battle Mode Grand Prix?

I'm of the opinion, just because there aren't more tracks (yet...they could be DLC later on), they could still include other updates and new modes?

I'm also of the opinion Diddy Kong Racing has gotta be a thing, because why the fuck is he not in the game yet?

200cc Battle Mode @ Baby Park

Maengun1

Damn, as someone who bought the WiiU version on Day 1 @ $60, AND bought every DLC.....I woulda bought this for another $60 as well if it had even 1 or 2 new cups. That and being able to take the game portable would've sold me. But a couple characters and battle mode won't cut it. Especially since I can keep playing with free online on WiiU until it dries up.

They really couldn't shiny up 4 more retro tracks even? Disappointing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
O0Zdekp.png

release date?

Josh5890

Is there any reason to believe they won't add more to this game?

Even without new courses, we don't have all the details do we? Is there online for the battle mode? Could there be more options to the video replays? Some sort of single/player trainer? More item customization? Do we even know all of the battle mode courses?

I just wonder if it's literally cut and paste Mario Kart 8 with an added 4-course battle mode?

Sorry for my ignorance havn't read everything about this game yet....

I'm in the camp that says there is more to the package than Nintendo is telling right now. I would expect more news in a direct in late march or early April. Right now it is all about Zelda and the Switch's launch.

Neonep

I'm in the camp that says there is more to the package than Nintendo is telling right now. I would expect more news in a direct in late march or early April. Right now it is all about Zelda and the Switch's launch.

How many directs do you think we'll get this year, there's already a fire emblem direct for wednesday and they'll be one at E3 and one sometime late this year.

hatchx

Banned

Glad someone's with me! I mean, they didn't show a trailer, they didn't really get into the dual-items, they didn't show the final menus or UI...

Eh, I'm feelin like what we see is what we are getting. I'm not complaining, I never owned the Wii U version so this'll be pretty fresh for me

Richie

How many directs do you think we'll get this year, there's already a fire emblem direct for wednesday and they'll be one at E3 and one sometime late this year.

15 Nintendo Directs, not counting E3's, aired for the North American region aired back in 2013, so hey, always a chance

Nintendo should partner up with Psyonix to make a Rocket League game with Mario theming including a battle mode similar to Mario Kart. Rocket Strikers Charged lol.

Neonep

Hopefully Nintendo is smart and actually decides to do the appropriate bundles this time. I remember when I was looking for a Wii U holidays 2014. There was a Mario Kart bundle only at Walmart (which wasn't readily available) and the Super Mario whatever bundle. No Smash Bros bundle either at that time.

Shoulda had 2 new cups! A Splatoon track or 2, for sure, a Breathe of the Wild track, and then whatever. Then another remade classics cup!

Oh well, I will buy it and any DLC they put out for it anyway, I love MK, and MK8 is one of the best ones.

LaNaranja

I just remembered why I actually bought MK8 at launch instead of waiting despite being disappointed in the lack of battle mode.

885x.jpg

This just makes MK8 Deluxe seem like an even worse value proposition.

Volotaire

I just remembered why I actually bought MK8 at launch instead of waiting despite being disappointed in the lack of battle mode.

885x.jpg

Oh yeh same. I grabbed WW HD as a bonus since I had not played WW before.

I suppose in Nintendo's mind having the DLC included makes it a "great deal!" because it's technically $12 cheaper now. Anything lower would be "devaluing gaming" or some such nonsense. I also suppose the Battle Mode tracks substitute brand new cups, which is a tad frustrating when they were blatantly missing to begin with, so setting aside the DLC this is just finally bumping MK8's content up to match the past couple games. New characters are neat though, but I wish Nintendo would just go all in and say "fuck it" by throwing in a ton more Nintendo characters instead of a handful of guests.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The one new thing I really like beyond battle mode is the easy mode they included. The reason is, I tried to get my wife into Mario Kart sessions with my 2 girls, but she gets mad at losing. She loses all the time and can't take a loss, so she quits. It'd be great if this mode keeps her on course and balances her weak level, so that we can enjoy the game with her.

requiem02

Banned
Shout-out to everyone who picked up WWHD free with MK8. 2014 was a glorious time to be a Nintendo fan...at least the Wii U had one good year.

baguetteness

Neo Member
Do you think they will release new tracks as DLC down the line? I don't see Mario Kart being graphically updated soon (Mario Kart 9), so if they keep releasing characters and tracks I might double dip.

StayDead

With them talking about secrets with the battle mode it makes me wonder if we'll see Shine Runners and Coin Battle return. I mean Bob-omb battle is in. We saw that at the weekend.

BizzyBum

This is a no-brainer for those who never played 8, but honestly how many people getting a Switch early on has never played 8 at all? I don't think I can justify a double dip considering how much I played the Wii U version.

I can only really guess there's no new cups because they'll have a new game next year or something. I suppose there's a view that optimistically the switch user base will be much larger than the Wii U and thus for most the game will be fresh, or even having the dlc will be new to a fair number of Wii U players. All that said, even as someone excited for the release and viewing the new edition's allure as being portable and not really content related, it is naff not including one new cup with a track or so based around the new characters in there at very least. I also wonder if it's not out at launch because online play simply won't be ready until the end of April.

Off the subject of content and price, really excited! My partner, my kid and I are big Mario Kart players and had a lot of fun with MK8, can't wait to play battle mode together. It looks gorgeous too. Just need to figure out if I'll go with more joycons or pro controllers for multi

885x.jpg

Man that just reminds how amazing Desperation Nintendo was in 2014.

KHlover

Banned
Man that just reminds how amazing Desperation Nintendo was in 2014.
Yup. Remember the "hunt with friends" ClubNintendo promotion and that other peomotion where you got a free game after registering four other 3DS games?

I got MH3U for 3DS for free because I picked it up on WiiU (another friend also had it, so we basically gifted each other the free 3DS key), gave away one MH3U key (iirc the free 3DS copy generated another free key) and then MH3U also counted towards that other promo, so it basically was five 3DS games for the price of three.

Desperation Nintendo is best Nintendo.

Top Bottom