• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ask, and it will be given to you (matthew 7,7)

From reeee

In the first game, Peter was in frequent communication with the police force, and most of the missions were bookended by the faithful boys in blue keeping the city clean. That, and the fact Peter labelled low-level street drug deals his least favourite crime, plus the repair and use of police snooping tech, gave the game a very specific political outlook. Spider-Man 2 stops (way, way) short of calling the NYPD pigs, but most interactions Peter and Miles have with the emergency services is through the fire department. Spider-Cop, or any reference to helping the police, is gone.

As expected. Imagine if they kept it in.

MC certainly wouldnt be 90 thats for sure.

Jemm

Insomniac devs following the Metacritic right now:
v4CWL02.jpg

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The IGN review literally begins with this:

Reading through the review, the only thing I've noticed that they explicitly say is outright better is the story. If the argument is that "everything is mostly the same, but the story is better, therefore the score should be the same or slightly higher," I'm on board with that (which would leave Spider-Man 2 right about at an 89, given that the other two are 87 and 85 respectively). But that would have to carry over throughout all reviews of all games, meaning that no game should have a much lower review score than another game that is largely the same. Which goes back to my argument about consistency of reviews.
And it literally ends with this...

As a sequel in a spectacular series, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is both blessed and cursed. Its story of two Spider-Men is a great time and a Spidey fan’s dream to play through as comic book pages are brought to life, elegantly walking the tightrope between light humour and heavier themes. Meanwhile, Insomniac refines a successful formula of combat and web-swinging without revolutionising either in major ways, making them comfy and familiar with just enough new tweaks and abilities to elevate them to fun new heights. The part that feels like it actually needed a radical rethinking is the open world of New York City, which has been made bigger but not better, with an exhausting checklist of mostly repetitious side activities. But it’s safe to call this another thrilling Spider-Man adventure that delivers Insomniac's best tale yet, and despite its open world falling short, it's a reliably fun superhero power trip. And, you know what? Screw it. It really did make me feel like Spider-Man, too.

It does enough better than before to warrant at least a matching score. The inconsistency is in the other direction.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
And it literally ends with this...

As a sequel in a spectacular series, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is both blessed and cursed. Its story of two Spider-Men is a great time and a Spidey fan’s dream to play through as comic book pages are brought to life, elegantly walking the tightrope between light humour and heavier themes. Meanwhile, Insomniac refines a successful formula of combat and web-swinging without revolutionising either in major ways, making them comfy and familiar with just enough new tweaks and abilities to elevate them to fun new heights. The part that feels like it actually needed a radical rethinking is the open world of New York City, which has been made bigger but not better, with an exhausting checklist of mostly repetitious side activities. But it’s safe to call this another thrilling Spider-Man adventure that delivers Insomniac's best tale yet, and despite its open world falling short, it's a reliably fun superhero power trip. And, you know what? Screw it. It really did make me feel like Spider-Man, too.

It does enough better than before to warrant at least a matching score. The inconsistency is in the other direction.
So then, in terms of its metacritic score, it should be more in line with matching the scores of the previous entries, which would be in the 85-87 range. 89, really, if you're counting story improvements and combat "refinements" enough to bump the score.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
So then, in terms of its metacritic score, it should be more in line with matching the scores of the previous entries, which would be in the 85-87 range. 89, really, if you're counting story improvements and combat "refinements" enough to bump the score.
If that's what you're going with, sure. Reviewers disagree, and based on what I've seen, I have no reason to contest. If it's a better game than before, then it deserves to be higher.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GamesBeat:
It also struggles to deliver a story where not only both Spider-Men but their supporting cast feel equally served, though this is saved somewhat by the excellent performances.

Soo now a spiderman game has to be about everyone?,

when-you-dont-know-any-thing-head-slap.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are bonus payments not a thing anymore? Could swear some pubs paying that for being 90+. Would be a shame for insomniac to not getting that by one point just because some click bait reviews.

The last time someone notable talked about it was all the way back in 2012 regarding Fallout: New Vegas.

Meta-scores don't have the kind of sway they did. Sony are probably more interested in SM2's pre-order and sales numbers over it losing a few meta points.

Raonak

Banned
The most dumb thing is people questioning the validity of a score before a game even releases.

Regardless if you think it 'looks' the same, you literally haven't even played yet.

If people are rating it 4+ points higher than Spiderman 1, then there's a reason why.

Mr Moose

Fabieter

The last time someone notable talked about it was all the way back in 2012 regarding Fallout: New Vegas.

Meta-scores don't have the kind of sway they did. Sony are probably more interested in SM2's pre-order and sales numbers over it losing a few meta points.

Imo being about 90+ pushes your games sales performance. Would love see actual numbers to back me up with that.

I talked to a shitton of casuals around the release of bg3 and the only reason they bought the game was the must play badge.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Indiwire’s review:

“Sony’s Brilliant Video Game Sequel Understands Spidey Better Than the MCU Ever Has”

“so intelligently conceived and absurdly well-polished that it often seems revolutionary just by dint of how spectacular it feels to play, this blockbuster follow-up to 2018’s “Spider-Man” — and 2020’s Miles Morales-centered spinoff — soars above so much of its competition because of how relentlessly it confronts you with the fact that virtually no one could be Spider-Man. Or maybe it’s because the game pretty much allows you to fly around New York from the moment it starts. That’s pretty cool, too.”

“this massive steel playground is also home to one of the most purely enjoyable open-world games ever made”

“ Thanks to the fluidity of the controls, the addictiveness of the sidequests, and the ecstasy of the various combat and traversal mechanics that “Spider-Man 2” either refines or introduces into the franchise, anything you actually choose to do as Spider-Man comes at the temporary expense of 10 other things you might wish you were doing at the same time.”

“ The bliss of actually wanting to do everything available to you perfectly aligns with the moral compass of a superhero who accepts his privilege as an obligation.”

“ It’s a game about the agonies of striking the right work/life balance, and it’s such an addictive time-suck that Spider-Man’s problem soon becomes your own.”

“ While that balance continues to defy what’s possible in even a mega-budgeted AAA game like this one, Insomniac manages to achieve it in virtually every other regard. Combat is a treat from start to finish”

“ Everything blends together with a rare sense of purpose”

“ A quantum leap forward for its franchise”

Metacritic employee that brings a Starfield t shirt to work “Sounds like an 83… at best…”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Indiwire’s review:

“Sony’s Brilliant Video Game Sequel Understands Spidey Better Than the MCU Ever Has”

“so intelligently conceived and absurdly well-polished that it often seems revolutionary just by dint of how spectacular it feels to play, this blockbuster follow-up to 2018’s “Spider-Man” — and 2020’s Miles Morales-centered spinoff — soars above so much of its competition because of how relentlessly it confronts you with the fact that virtually no one could be Spider-Man. Or maybe it’s because the game pretty much allows you to fly around New York from the moment it starts. That’s pretty cool, too.”

“this massive steel playground is also home to one of the most purely enjoyable open-world games ever made”

“ Thanks to the fluidity of the controls, the addictiveness of the sidequests, and the ecstasy of the various combat and traversal mechanics that “Spider-Man 2” either refines or introduces into the franchise, anything you actually choose to do as Spider-Man comes at the temporary expense of 10 other things you might wish you were doing at the same time.”

“ The bliss of actually wanting to do everything available to you perfectly aligns with the moral compass of a superhero who accepts his privilege as an obligation.”

“ It’s a game about the agonies of striking the right work/life balance, and it’s such an addictive time-suck that Spider-Man’s problem soon becomes your own.”

“ While that balance continues to defy what’s possible in even a mega-budgeted AAA game like this one, Insomniac manages to achieve it in virtually every other regard. Combat is a treat from start to finish”

“ Everything blends together with a rare sense of purpose”

“ A quantum leap forward for its franchise”

Metacritic employee that brings a Starfield t shirt to work “Sounds like an 83… at best…”
this is outrageous lol

here is an idea: if they are not giving it a score, dont include them in your aggregate SCORE?!?!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sure, but then shouldn't the contents of the review specify what exactly makes it better?
Just being able to switch between multiple characters at anytime GTA style is an instant 5-10 point bonus for me. More games should be doing this, and I hope we get a Spider-Gwen short next, and all three appearing in Spider-Man 3!

Eiknarf

Just being able to switch between multiple characters at anytime GTA style is an instant 5-10 point bonus for me. More games should be doing this, and I hope we get a Spider-Gwen short next, and all three appearing in Spider-Man 3!
didnt GTA V do that?

simpatico

Found some reviews that read like satire, then found out they weren't satire. Holy hell Insomniac. Am I being trolled? Is the Financial Post review real?

Last edited:

Karppuuna

This is not Batman. They have to fear siperman and marvels, fuckn feat them! Strict rules abattoir

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Metacritic is garbage. One minute a game can have a must play tag and a few reviews later it isn't must play anymore! So stupid! They give more weight to certain outlets, which is bullshit and now they give scores to reviews with no scores.
But at the end of the day, the Metacritic final average is always very similar to the OpenCritic average

skit_data

I'm gonna feel a bit sorry for Insomniac if it drops to 89, but not very sorry.

Why?
Because it's laughably ridiculous that all 9/10 reviews will somehow contribute to it creeping down to a 90 score.

I'm still amazed some games actually get scores over 90 at all when there are like 100+ reviews, that's a crazy consistency of really high review scores and it's pretty much just splitting hairs in terms of overall perception of the game.

Top Bottom