• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

SCB3

I’ve played the first hour, I like it, slight bias as I love the MCU and the GotG films,

it helps that it’s kinda fun to play and starts out with a big set piece, compare this to Avengers and it’s night and day(and I liked Avengers)

So played a few hours and gotta say this is bringing back serious Arkham vibes in terms of quality and attention to detail.

I love the combat so far, the game is legit funny and the soundtrack is beautiful.

Runs amazingly on my pc at least 90-120fps with DLSS quality.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Unless this game shits itself in the final few chapters, I think this is my GOTY by quite a distance.

The transition from Chapter 12 to 13 is the best in any game in a VERY VERY VERY long time. I literally said "NO FUCKING WAY!" when you realize what Chapter 13 will be.

Vestal

Gold Member
Really loving this game..

About 3-4hrs in...
Story Top Notch
Music Excellent
Graphics One of the best looking games out there. The facial animations are on par or in some cases exceed that of Spider-man Miles Morales.
Combat: Honestly I am enjoying it. Once you get a handle on the controls, it is CONTROLLED CHAOS :)

The banter between the Guardians is brilliant!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Some benchmark results for Ryzen 1600, RTX 2060 Super, 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe. I made sure to reset the game each time I changed texture quality, as recommended:
---
1080p Native:
Low- 68 avg, 38 min, 83 max
Med- 67 avg, 42 min, 83 max
High- 67 avg, 38 min, 82 max
V.High- 67 avg, 24 min, 82 max
Ultra- 67 avg, 38 min, 83 max

1080p DLSS(Balanced):
Low- 66 avg, 37 min, 80 max
Med- 67 avg, 37 min, 82 max
High- 66 avg, 28 min, 81 max
V.High- 66 avg, 37 min, 81 max
Ultra- 66 avg, 35 min, 81 max

1440p Native:
Low- 65 avg, 31 min, 80 max
Med- 65 avg, 36 min, 80 max
High- 65 avg, 28 min, 79 max
V.High- 65 avg, 41 min, 80 max
Ultra- 65 avg, 39 min, 79 max

1440p DLSS(Balanced):
Low- 64 avg, 39 min, 78 max
Med- 65 avg, 43 min, 80 max
High- 65 avg, 31 min, 79 max
V.High- 64 avg, 28 min, 79 max
Ultra- 65 avg, 33 min, 79 max

*edit* Bonus GPU-bound scenario to show normal DLSS scaling:
4K Native, Ultra Settings, High RT, Transparency Reflections RT On-> 24fps on menu screen

4K DLSS(Balanced), Ultra Settings, High RT, Transparency Reflections RT on -> 42fps on menu screen
---
I am CPU-bound:messenger_crying:
tumblr_ohmu04dK4K1vfmsbyo2_500.gif

Last edited:
One bug I’ve had a few times is in the Milano banter scenes for the collectibles, they sometimes seem to go really really wonky in terms of lip sync; like it goes almost a full 3 seconds off between the audio and lip movement. It’s kinda distracting but at the same time weirdly impressive since the animation is so well done that I could easily read their lips to see how far off it was.

I've been saying it forever, 1080p 60FPS is this generations most realistic target.

The sooner people accept that, the easier things will get for them.

This is only an issue if you're not ok with it.
I am not ok with it. Why would you need saying that anyway when barely any games have been as low as 1080p?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Got the Xbox version, performance doesn’t look 1080p to me but I’ve only played the first area. 🤷‍♂️
not really liking the game so far hope it gets better or gaf owes me $60. 😒

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well after extensive testing, I've decided against 60fps target even though I get 65fps average, there's just too much micro-stuttering.

I'm going with 4K DLSS(Balanced, 75% Sharpening), Ultra Settings, Very High RT, Transparent Reflections RT enabled. Then forced half-refresh adaptive v-sync in Nvidia control panel for 30fps lock. Looks fucking amazing and runs smoother than 60fps due to my CPU-bound situation. Wish me luck, boys! Captain says we're going into console frame rate territory.

Last edited:
So played a few hours and gotta say this is bringing back serious Arkham vibes in terms of quality and attention to detail.

I love the combat so far, the game is legit funny and the soundtrack is beautiful.

Runs amazingly on my pc at least 90-120fps with DLSS quality.
I feel the same. I haven't been this impressed by a licensed game since Arkham Asylum.

I was struggling to really put my finger on what it felt like in terms of other games, but Asylum is definitely a pretty good match for it in some areas. They seem to have taken a lot of hints from that game especially the way the do the environmental storytelling.

Md Ray

Well after extensive testing, I've decided against 60fps target even though I get 65fps average, there's just too much micro-stuttering.

I'm going with 4K DLSS(Balanced, 75% Sharpening), Ultra Settings, Very High RT, Transparent Reflections RT enabled. Then forced half-refresh adaptive v-sync in Nvidia control panel for 30fps lock. Looks fucking amazing and runs smoother than 60fps due to my CPU-bound situation. Wish me luck, boys! Captain says we're going into console frame rate territory.
Why not target 45fps or 50fps instead? I'm assuming you have a G-sync/FreeSync display. Even if you don't, most non-VRR displays should support 50Hz alongside 60Hz.

It doesn't seem like a good sign when a game designed around Jaguar CPU isn't able to smoothly run at twice the frame rate on 1600X Zen CPU. Does it also come with DX11 API?

Xbox is smoother or PS5 is smoother?
i noticed some slowdown in parts when you are escaping the vault which made combat a little jittery on ps5 performance mode
zero issues on series x so far

I just wish they had an in-between option as the game feels unplayable in quality mode once you have played it in 60fps mode but looks like shit

Last edited:
I’m running Ryzen 1600+2060 Super. This game is heavy. I’m curious what results you get since I’m suspecting I might be a bit CPU-bound.

I'm like 3 locations in, and so far I've seen framerate ranging mostly from 70 to 90 fps, occasionally around 100 in closed spaces.
Max settings, RT on High, DLSS Quality.
1080p though.

Game does look amazing. I'm especially impressed with the character models and their motion/face capture.

Z3eR57E.jpg

0gd2rlk.jpg

3d1se0O.jpg

gDDWvq6.jpg

Xander3116

So 5 hours in and this game is way better then avengers and it isn't close, voice acting, writing and graphics are top notch, the gameplay is good but its still disappointing that i can't switch between characters, hopefully it keeps this quality for the whole game, but so far the game is really good.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why not target 45fps or 50fps instead? I'm assuming you have a G-sync/FreeSync display. Even if you don't, most non-VRR displays should support 50Hz alongside 60Hz.

It doesn't seem like a good sign when a game designed around Jaguar CPU isn't able to smoothly run at twice the frame rate on 1600X Zen CPU. Does it also come with DX11 API?
I’m testing on a non-vrr TV, but I do have a 24” freesync monitor and 120hz g-sync laptop screen. I’ll try that out when I get back home. I might just look for a Ryzen 3600. I’m waiting to hear back from a guy here in this thread that has a 2060 Super, too, but with a 3600 instead of 1600 like me.

On a side note, it seems weird if the XSX/PS5 were running 1080p/60fps. If true, I wonder if it’s more of an issue with being CPU-bound and unoptimized code. FS2020 suffered from that until update 5.

*edit* BigbyTheSheriff BigbyTheSheriff responded while I was typing. I’m very CPU-bound.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but does this game use any of the Dualsense features? And if so, are they done well?

MaKTaiL

Not sure if it's been discussed yet, but does this game use any of the Dualsense features? And if so, are they done well?
It uses adaptive triggers lightly when firing (it gets heavier the longer you shoot). The haptic feedback is subtle but nice to have over normal vibrations.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This might be a longshot, but do they play with any licensed music? I know it's only been a thing for them in the movies, but it could make for some neat moments in a game.

On a side note, it seems weird if the XSX/PS5 were running 1080p/60fps. If true, I wonder if it’s more of an issue with being CPU-bound and unoptimized code. FS2020 suffered from that until update 5.
That’s what I was wondering too, it’s bizarre. It‘s completely stable at 4k 30 on Series X in quality mode (except for a hitch during autosaves), but they have to to drop the res so low just to hit 60. I’m just not seeing anything in the game that should take that much in terms of the CPU.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Having a blast, restores my faith in Marvel games from 3rd parties after Avengers. How did the fuck that game up so much but managed to make this one so good….

Last edited:

Esca

Played it for the first time and 6 hours later I finally got up. Been a long time since a game has done that to me

Elginer

So Tales of Arise was looking to be my GOTY but this came outta no where and has put a big cheese ass eating grin on my face. The attention to detail, music and writing are just superb. May be my NEW GOTY. I had to force myself to stop playing.

jaysius

Banned
I played the Switch Cloud demo, that cloud shit for full retail price is a special kind of abortion. It's pretty bad, I was right next to the router too.

The game itself looked cool though, shame they don't have a demo for normal systems, the banter between the characters itself was great, didn't really get a chance to do much shooting or teamplay unfortunately.

Worth it on a sale, and Black Friday is coming! This game practically screams BF Fodder for sales.

DeaDPo0L84

On pc and loving the game so far but have one issue. Cutscenes tank to 15-20 fps. Gameplay stays around 90-100fps maxed out with Ray tracing so I have no clue what's happening.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Tried it out on GeForce Now...

High Settings, 2x AF, 1080p DLSS(Balanced). 50 avg, 34 min, 53 max.
CPU: Intel CC150 @ 3.5GHz GPU: Nvidia Tesla T10 16GB RAM Win10
GeForce Now Settings: Free Tier, 50Mbps, 1080p/60fps

Last edited:
Top Bottom