• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Man, with the animations and way combat works, it really feels like you're controlling Starlord from the movies. This is something the Avengers game failed to do: make it actually feel like you're playing as one of these characters.

BadBurger

Alright, about an hour in, this is legit. Really good so far. I am surprised with how much genuinely entertaining and interesting banter there is, and options to engage in it kind of Bioware-light fashion. I've found myself laughing several times just with the way Rocket and Quill fuck with each other. All while looking and sounding like one of the best current gen games.

Edit: oh wow, this huddle up feature - so fitting for this cast of characters. Man I keep gushing but seriously, this game is fucking aces so far

Last edited:
Performance mode looks so bad.... I am really not wanting to play any more in hopes that this can be fixed because quality mode looks great and the game is really fun so far.

BadBurger

Performance mode looks fine to me.

Who is this Nova Corps woman, ex-love interest of Starlords? I was taking a shower while my girl played through her introduction, and I just had a heart to heart with her but have no idea what the hell her name is.

Performance mode looks so bad.... I am really not wanting to play any more in hopes that this can be fixed because quality mode looks great and the game is really fun so far.
It was very blurry. I switched it to quality pretty quick, I’ll gladly take 30 fps vs vaseline.

nowhat

Gold Member
Wasn't going to get this after Avengers, but the reivews/general buzz seems good so why not. Got a physical copy (first time on PS5) just to save some cash.

The game requires 73.46 GB to install. 36.73 GB for the game on the disc, and 36.73 GB for the 1.003.000 patch. Day one patches are hardly anything new, but how can the patch be as large as the game? I thought delta updates were a thing?

Edit: OK, now after freeing up space the actual download for the update is only 5.8 GB. I guess the rest of the space is required for temporary files or something.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
This runs at 4k 90fps on a GTX 3080 max settings so there is something wrong if the next gen consoles run at 1080p/60fps. They should be able to run it at 4k 60fps with a few settings lowered or 1944p with max settings.

Does the console version have Ray Tracing?

MaKTaiL

This runs at 4k 90fps on a GTX 3080 max settings so there is something wrong if the next gen consoles run at 1080p/60fps. They should be able to run it at 4k 60fps with a few settings lowered or 1944p with max settings.

Does the console version have Ray Tracing?
It doesn't.... yet (i hear they will patch it later).

OK, so this game completely flew under my radar since I was thinking it was going to be an Avengers copycat(not a good thing). So is it good? If you are someone who felt like you got scammed by the Avenger game on day 1 should you be hesitant to go in on Guardians or wait for a sale? Your call gaf.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, thanks to my work I got a freebie of this on PC which is nice. So will give it a look. I did fancy playing on the sofa on the series X but i Might look to hook up my PC to my TV to play.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
OK, so this game completely flew under my radar since I was thinking it was going to be an Avengers copycat(not a good thing). So is it good? If you are someone who felt like you got scammed by the Avenger game on day 1 should you be hesitant to go in on Guardians or wait for a sale? Your call gaf.
It’s a completely different game from a completely different developer. That‘s like not playing Horizon because you didn’t like Returnal.

It’s a completely different game from a completely different developer. That‘s like not playing Horizon because you didn’t like Returnal.
You can argue that all you want but all most people will see is a group superhero game that has Square Enix plastered all over it saying I want your money. That's the reason I came to ask here if it was actually any good.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
You can argue that all you want but all most people will see is a group superhero game that has Square Enix plastered all over it saying I want your money. That's the reason I came to ask here if it was actually any good.

I don't know. There's a review thread with a bunch of reviews linked.

Fox Mulder

People are really calling this game not worth $60 at 15-20 hours? The quality of the content more than justifies the asking price, if anything it's longer than I would have initially expected.

They probably love their yearly Ubisoft open world games with 100+ hours of mindless shit. So much value.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Ok i unlocked the first perk and can't get the boots to hover. I assumed double press or hold down but it doesn't do what perc says. What am I doing wrong?

RafterXL

Where is this 1080p stuff coming from? Performance is supposed to be dynamic 4K 60.
People counting pixels have it at 1080p. They might be wrong and it's higher but it's definitely not anywhere close to 4k, even just looking at screenshots shows that much.

hlm666

Seems to have one of the best DLSS implementations so far. Also has a bunch of RT on off shots and seems to have a bigger impact here than you would expect because of all the metal and glass surfaces the space setting has.

"Let’s start with DLSS. NVIDIA’s upscaling tech is incredible in this game. Not only does it improve performance, but it also offers superior anti-aliasing. This is truly one of the best DLSS implementations, and we highly recommend using it. Not only that, but EIDOS Montreal has included a DLSS Sharpening setting so that PC gamers can adjust it. Truly awesome stuff."

nowhat

Gold Member
This may require a bit more time in the oven - I just got to the beginning title screen after the first tutorial bit, there's a dialogue option. I chose the first option three times, which always resulted in me getting out of the cutscene and being stuck in place without being able to do anything, requiring me to load the latest checkpoint. Only when I chose the other option was I able to continue.

Ok i unlocked the first perk and can't get the boots to hover. I assumed double press or hold down but it doesn't do what perc says. What am I doing wrong?
It works only in combat as far as I can tell.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
This may require a bit more time in the oven - I just got to the beginning title screen after the first tutorial bit, there's a dialogue option. I chose the first option three times, which always resulted in me getting out of the cutscene and being stuck in place without being able to do anything, requiring me to load the latest checkpoint. Only when I chose the other option was I able to continue.

It works only in combat as far as I can tell.
Yeah I figured it out. I was just coming to say that. Its on the ability wheel. I though I could use it all the time.

splattered

Really surprised this turned out well... i busted out laughing when the trailer was originally revealed i thought it looked so bad. Guess i will pick this one up when it's on sale (Too many other games to play through right now)

I just noticed this is from the same studio that made the last Tomb Raider. Can anyone tell me if the level design is as beautiful to look at like in Shadow? If yes, I‘ll prolly bite. I just love this level of artistry.

Unpacking on Steam now and I'm about to go out for a bit, doh! Says 66.45GB so bigger than the consoles but not the 120GB that was banded around the other week.

I had a feeling that this would be good and everything so far suggests that it is so hopefully I'll have some fun tonight.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just bought it on Epic store with their $10 coupon. Net damage ~$30 only.
Very excited. Downloading now.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I just noticed this is from the same studio that made the last Tomb Raider. Can anyone tell me if the level design is as beautiful to look at like in Shadow? If yes, I‘ll prolly bite. I just love this level of artistry.
Yes it is. Reminds me a lot of how unique each planet in Jedi Fallen Order was. And even when you revisit certain locations they make it look unique so it doesn't feel like you're retreading.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looks like after the initial install the size on disk is about 66GB. Make sure to check GeForce Experience and get the Day-1 driver.

*edit* 8GB day-1 update, so the final size is around 75GB.

Last edited:

Certinty

Big fan of linear games like this where if you want to explore everything and soak in all the dialogue etc. you can whilst if you don’t nothing is holding you back.

Perfect for every type of gamer in my eyes.

drotahorror

20 hours is way too short! I want it to be so long, bloated and boring that I'll never finish it!

Seriously. 20 hours is about my breaking point with most games. I loved The Last of Us 1 and 2 and they were both around 20 hours for my first playthrough and I was getting tired towards the end of both of those.

I'm happy with tight, 8-12 hour games too.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Played through the PS5 version 1 1/2 times on Performance. Playing XSX on Performance and I don't know, it feels just a very slight bit smoother.

Last edited:

Croga

Loving the game so far, the banter between the team is great and story seems well written so far.

My only niggle is combat related with the charged shot ability, which seems very hit and miss.

It's a double tap and hold, then release on the R2 trigger, and it seems a bit clunky at times and doesn't want to engage.

It may be partly down to the adaptive trigger feature slowly locking the trigger down as the guns heat up too.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It's a double tap and hold, then release on the R2 trigger, and it seems a bit clunky at times and doesn't want to engage.

I'm finding the XSX controller is a lot better for this. Having better timing with it to hit the green shots.

I'm on Xbox Series X and I feel like the image quality difference between performance and quality is too high. Something feels off here.

Yeah normally I‘ll flip between quality and performance a few times to judge the difference, but with this I didn’t have to; I noped out of performance mode the second I saw the title screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom