• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

Spaceman292

Banned
On a mechanical level it is, however it would be like comparing an apple and an orange, but this would be part of a much wider discussion of "what makes a game?" As certain components are more videogamey in one area when compared to anouther, largely due to its genre.

However Guardians and The Last of Us 2 are in the same identical genre, the Linear action adventure, so your comparing apples to apples in how they work mechanically and they follow the same design philosophy.

So how is one "less of a game" when it takes advantage of the medium it is on to provide "choice" in how the story plays out compared to anouther title that plays in an almost identical fashion but decides taking player control away from them for story purposes is better.

I personally believe more titles should realise they are not restricted to a linear story telling fashion in videogames, which is why titles like Baldur's Gate III which is currently developing along those lines excite me, and why Guardians was a pleasant surprise to me.
But you can shoot the aliums its a video game

Neff

Because the similarities are pretty obvious for everyone playing them, just like how the Last of Us 2 is essentially a less bombastic Uncharted with golf.

The level design being a crucial component of strategy in TLoU2 alone lends it more player agency than Guardians imo. And I think the level design in Guardians is good, but it doesn't affect the gameplay much outside of masking the odd fun diversion.

I haven't finished Guardians yet but so far the story choices taken don't seem to significantly affect the gameplay itself. We'll see.

However Guardians and The Last of Us 2 are in the same identical genre, the Linear action adventure

I'd say TLoU2 is more of a stealth game at heart. When played on higher difficulties, action pretty much goes out the window.

Last edited:

I just got to
Knowhere
and I sided against Rocket on a number of issues and its hard to imagine that everything would play out the way it has if I didnt. Very curious to go through the game again to see how things work out doing the opposite.

And that's a wrap. 22 hours, 88% of the achievements. Couple of outfits and trinkets to find, but other than that I think I've seen just about everything the game has to offer.

It's definitely in my TOP3, if not the best game I've played this year. Rarely do I miss any game after finishing it, but this is one of those exceptions.

Highly recommend.

YiZzlw8.jpg

wOcr2MK.jpg

Kpu747o.jpg

4zgIlqy.jpg

Umbasaborne

Banned
Glad to hear positive impressions, i cancelled my pre order but ill be keeping an eye out for black friday sales. Any word on which version is superior between series x and ps5. Id love to play in performance mode but i dont want a massive resolution sacrifice to do so. Also how frequent are the loading hallways/crawlspaces and forced walking scenes?

Luipadre

Glad to hear positive impressions, i cancelled my pre order but ill be keeping an eye out for black friday sales. Any word on which version is superior between series x and ps5. Id love to play in performance mode but i dont want a massive resolution sacrifice to do so. Also how frequent are the loading hallways/crawlspaces and forced walking scenes?

Do yourself a favor and play this in quality mode

I've probably gone about 4 hours in the game at this point...there is a lot. Not forced walking but just exploration/traversal/downtime stuff. Its filled with banter that makes it better but I will say that your mileage may vary on this.

The one thing about banter in this is they have too much for the length of the levels. It plays out ok but it tends to get cut-off if you go too fast, normally that’s not an issue but the problem is you can’t even just slow walk it some levels, you have to basically stop dead in your tracks repeatedly to get all of it. After doing one of the chapters in the later stages and trying to finish every dialogue sequence it slowed the game down to a crawl to a ridiculous level.

Do yourself a favor and play this in quality mode

^Very much this. Performance mode is pretty awful right now on console. There should be an update that improves it, I can’t imagine it will stay that bad.

Last edited:
Just finished the game, a solid 8/10. I love the Guardians comics so this game is right up my street but the combat got a bit repetitive in the last couple of missions.

Spoilers.

benzy

Yeah, this game is awesome. The character interactions are so good, really good writing, story has heart and the scenario is more interesting than the films, great graphics, art design, and music. Only thing that's pretty average is the combat but it's serviceable like Mass Effect's was. Peter and Gamora in this game are so much better than in the movies. Hopefully it does well sales-wise because I can't imagine how good a next-gen only GotG2 will look and they have more time to refine the gameplay mechanics. They already knocked everything else out of the park.

Marvel-s-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-20211026214052.png

Marvel-s-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-20211025212931.png

Marvel-s-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-20211026222140.png

ManaByte

What's so exciting about that transition, because I've just
landed on an icy planet
? Is it something that happens in that chapter?

It plays off something early in the game:

When Drax says they'll sell Groot to Fin Fang Foom

You pass that off as just a very literate comic joke and a pretty deep pull. Because no way will that character show up.

Then at the end of Chapter 12:

The Guardians are up against a wall and all out of options. Peter suggests getting Lady Hellbender on their side, Kickstart My Heart begins to play, and Drax says they're going to get the great FIN FANG FOOM!

Motley Crue GIF

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I love this game but I've definitely had some bugs. Playing on ps5. I had rocket dissapear when he was to crawl in a tunnel. Never returned and never opened door. Reloaded last save and he did his job. Beat a big battle today and music never ended and everyone was dead. My team just kept yelling battle stuff. It was on a smallish round floating thing so I wasn't missing anyone. Reloaded and it went good.

Anyone else having problems like this? I'm glad it saves so much.

Managed to get it for $25 and just booted it up for 10 minutes, button prompts are wrong on the pc version for gamepads (which is easily fixable through steam, but still how can you mess up such a simple thing), I like the vibes I got from the first 10 minutes, will definitely give it a good spin tomorrow.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
For those of you rocking both PC and PS5(and double dip) how does the PS5 perform with this game? I'm playing maxed on PC at 1440p(Gsync 165hz) and 2080 Founder's Edition and getting
like 60-70fps with everything maxed(DLSS balanced).

PC-I'm tucked away in the living room corner on the 24 inch monitor at 1440p and 165hz but no HDR.
PS5-I'm on my couch between 6-7 foot away from my 65 inch 4k HDR tv.

I'm disabled and can't sit for long periods of time without becoming extremely uncomfortable(pain). So it makes PC gaming a bit tough in my pc chair. (I'm in constant 24/7 pain but that's another topic)

Playing on PS5, I can sit on my couch and can raise my legs and it's obviously much more comfortable to me for longer gameplay sessions. The game has really nailed the whole #80s retro type vibe which I adore
as I'm a "child of the 80's"(49 years old).

Does the PS5 experience at least hold up to the PC version? Sure, I've watched videos on Youtube with reviews/performance but I trust my fellow NeoGAF family more with their impressions. Thank you!
Marvels-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-music-list-copy-640x360.jpg

change-music-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
I just finished earlier today. Will refrain from any spoilers.
Final Review:
Graphics. Absolutely spectacular. Some of the best facial animation work I have experienced in gaming. But there are a few areas where you notice a huge disparity in character models along with world textures in one or two areas.
Music/Sound SPECTACULAR
Story: An inspiring story, with exquisite set pieces, story beats, and dialog. The banter between characters is extremely well done.
Combat: At first I wasn't really feeling it. However once you get a hang of the concept and the controls, It is extremely rewarding and fun. I consider it Controlled Chaos.
Gameplay: I felt it needed a bit more in this department. The game really felt completely on rails at at various times. Think it would have benefited from more hands on gameplay moments between the QTE dialog events.
Technical: Gorgeous game 95% of the time. A few visual/movement hiccups/bugs here and there. But nothing we all haven't experienced before in other games.

Regardless of my gripes about it. To me this is my GOTY so far.

Now that they have the foundation in place, I expect a massive sequel.

Last edited:

Shmunter

For those of you rocking both PC and PS5(and double dip) how does the PS5 perform with this game? I'm playing maxed on PC at 1440p(Gsync 165hz) and 2080 Founder's Edition and getting
like 60-70fps with everything maxed(DLSS balanced).

PC-I'm tucked away in the living room corner on the 24 inch monitor at 1440p and 165hz but no HDR.
PS5-I'm on my couch between 6-7 foot away from my 65 inch 4k HDR tv.

I'm disabled and can't sit for long periods of time without becoming extremely uncomfortable(pain). So it makes PC gaming a bit tough in my pc chair. (I'm in constant 24/7 pain but that's another topic)

Playing on PS5, I can sit on my couch and can raise my legs and it's obviously much more comfortable to me for longer gameplay sessions. The game has really nailed the whole #80s retro type vibe which I adore
as I'm a "child of the 80's"(49 years old).

Does the PS5 experience at least hold up to the PC version? Sure, I've watched videos on Youtube with reviews/performance but I trust my fellow NeoGAF family more with their impressions. Thank you!
Marvels-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-music-list-copy-640x360.jpg

change-music-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg
Can’t say myself, but there must be some proper comparisons around the corner.

nowhat

I love this game but I've definitely had some bugs. Playing on ps5. I had rocket dissapear when he was to crawl in a tunnel. Never returned and never opened door. Reloaded last save and he did his job. Beat a big battle today and music never ended and everyone was dead. My team just kept yelling battle stuff. It was on a smallish round floating thing so I wasn't missing anyone. Reloaded and it went good.

Anyone else having problems like this? I'm glad it saves so much.
Yeah, had a few instances where for example Groot didn't follow the group and couldn't do a bridge, requiring a reload. Not a big issue because the checkpoints are very frequent, still a bit annoying.

Finished the game last night, liked it much more than I thought I would have. It's like Marvel's Uncharted - if you like that series, you probably will like this as well.

Toons

So I decided to pick this up, but since mean I was going to anyway, for reasons that should appear pretty obvious to anyone who can see my pfp, but I finally sat down to play it, intended on just doing a bit to get a feel for things, ended up playing for 3 hours and had a blast.

As one of the 12 people who played the Telltale game, this will ring very similarly in some ways, like, VERY similar, except you can actually play the game this time, and obviously its more polished.

Im really enjoying it thus far. Loving the comic book references throughout.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This might be my game of the year. Which is crazy. Following the Avengers, suggesting that another cross generational third-party Marvel game from Square, that is running at native 1080p and doing nothing remarkable tech-wise, being simply the best playing game, with the most vividly imagined world(s), and the most engaging, entertaining, and well-acted story this year - is not something I would expected to find myself typing at the tail-end of 2021.

Looking forward to whatever else they do with this.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'm not surprised that this game appeals to modern audience. Another movie like game with close to 0 interactivity. I will watch a summary of the story on YouTube and that's it.

This review nails it. "You're not playing the game. It's playing you".

Absolutely.

He even made a follow-up, cause not all of the crap made it to the first video (honestly just watch the first 5 mins of this one, it is eye opening, especially the part at around 4:00):

Another example of the typical AAA experience. 0 gameplay. 0 challenge. Game plays itself most of the time to the point that it becomes insulting to gamers (so journalists love it, go figure...).
The only "difficulty" comes not from true difficulty but crappy controls every now and again.
Basically a slightly-more-interactive interactive movie experience.

This isn't even handholding anymore.
It's like "assisted living", but for gaming.
I can only shake my head at stuff like this.

Somewhat get the appeal of a "game" like those Dark Pictures Anthology games, where you can at least make decisions that actually have an impact and invite multiple playthroughs.
But this game just pretends to be an action game, albeit with the action being reduced to whatever you want to call what's going on there while safely simulating danger around you.

"How are you not insulted by this?"
Indeed.

Last edited:

shubik

Absolutely.

He even made a follow-up, cause not all of the crap made it to the first video (honestly just watch the first 5 mins of this one, it is eye opening, especially the part at around 4:00):

Another example of the typical AAA experience. 0 gameplay. 0 challenge. Game plays itself most of the time to the point that it becomes insulting to gamers (so journalists love it, go figure...).
The only "difficulty" comes not from true difficulty but crappy controls every now and again.

Somewhat get the appeal of a "game" like those Dark Pictures Anthology games, where you can at least make decisions that actually have an impact and invite multiple playthroughs.
But this game just pretends to be an action game, albeit with the action being reduced to whatever you want to call what's going on there while safely simulating danger around you.

Indeed.

I´m around 5 hours now and I´m having a blast. People have different tastes and opinions. I don´t look mainly for a challenge when I play games. I want to be entertained. And the way a game can achieve that is very broad. Some games have great visuals or a gripping narrative, others thrive based on the combat or a certain mechanic etc.

I really don´t get why people shit on games for being a cinematic experience. I hear that a lot about SONY games. And yet, those games are some of the best pieces of entertainment I ever enjoyed.

In my 5 hours with Guardians so far I never got the feeling of being cheated on Gameplay (besides the bad ship battles). The game has a good enough combat, great visuals, fantastic writing and so far an interesting story. I´m glad I got it.

Does this make me a bad gamer now?

Edit: the video of the dude is soooooo cringy. He is so insulted as a gamer... jesus fucking christ. Don´t play the damn game if it is such an insult to your elite gaming persona. I´m 33 and I feel like I´m to old for this shit :D

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Indeed.

It sounds like you merely have very specific tastes in games, and the wider audience doesn't agree with you - which is perfectly fine. Enjoy what you want, it's your time and money after all right?

If you don't enjoy rich story telling and presentation, something the modern gaming audience writ large has come to enjoy ever since the waning years of the PS360 gen, well, there are plenty of other more simplistic options (in that respect) out there for you. As far as difficulty is concerned, that's of course a subjective measure, but at least they allow one to adjust the experience a great deal here. One can absolutely turn almost every enemy into a bullet sponge, give themselves a glass jaw, and hamper their teammates in the game if they so chose.

I guess just don't play these kinds of games if you don't care for them? Don't discuss them if doing so will agitate you? Myself, I don't enjoy the story-light, timing-heavy, unforgiving total experience games like Bloodborne and Souls provides - so I don't play them, and I have no interest in discussing them.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Don´t play the damn game if it is such an insult to your elite gaming persona.
He reviews games, it's kind of his job to play them and tell his thoughts about them.
Afaik, nothing in the game's marketing made it clear that this is just a "cinematic experience" with "gameplay" as deep as the oceans of Sahara and an integrated assisted living mode for gaming.

He definitely saved a lot of people a lot of money with that one.

It makes you a modern gamer.
If that is good or bad is mostly a question of perspective.

shubik

He reviews games, it's kind of his job to play them and tell his thoughts about them.
Afaik, nothing in the game's marketing made it clear that this is just a "cinematic experience" with "gameplay" as deep as the oceans of Sahara and an integrated assisted living mode for gaming.

He definitely saved a lot of people a lot of money with that one.

It makes you a modern gamer.
If that is good or bad is mostly a question of perspective.

Who is setting the bar here what a modern gamer is? You and your personal taste?

J3nga

I´m around 5 hours now and I´m having a blast. People have different tastes and opinions. I don´t look mainly for a challenge when I play games. I want to be entertained. And the way a game can achieve that is very broad. Some games have great visuals or a gripping narrative, others thrive based on the combat or a certain mechanic etc.

I really don´t get why people shit on games for being a cinematic experience. I hear that a lot about SONY games. And yet, those games are some of the best pieces of entertainment I ever enjoyed.

In my 5 hours with Guardians so far I never got the feeling of being cheated on Gameplay (besides the bad ship battles). The game has a good enough combat, great visuals, fantastic writing and so far an interesting story. I´m glad I got it.

Edit: the video of the dude is soooooo cringy. He is so insulted as a gamer... jesus fucking christ. Don´t play the damn game if it is such an insult to your elite gaming persona. I´m 33 and I feel like I´m to old for this shit :D
Every of his video is whining how bad every game is nowadays, sure there are bad games and game's are not what they used to be in early 00's when cinematic games haven't been a thing yet. There are plenty of games these for each taste, don't like cutscenes? That's okay there's a bazillion games that emphasize game mechanics over cinematics such as indie titles, from software titles, nintendo games, go play Metroid Dread or The legend of Zelda:BOTW, these games have minimum cutscenes and maximum gameplay with very cool mechanics without holding your hand. Expecting complicated puzzles from Marvel title is naive AF. There are options these days. This game does what people expect it to do and does it well according to many. I got the game myself on steam just in case I want to refund it but after 1h I don't want to(yet to determine how much I dislike the combat). Running the game on 5900x/RTX 3080 on LG G1 OLED and visuals I think giving TLOU2 a run it's the money(I think that game looks blurry at times) or maybe even topping it. Character models look insanely good, Eidos Montreal absolutely nailed and other studios way behind it in this regard. I hope to see next deus-ex with this level of graphics or better.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I guess just don't play these kinds of games if you don't care for them? Don't discuss them if doing so will agitate you?
I certainly won't play them. And I'm not agitated, either.

so I don't play them, and I have no interest in discussing them.
Cool.
I have an interest in discussing both games that I like and (some of the) games that I don't like.
You'll just have to live with that, I'm afraid. Thankfully, this place is not one of the online kindergardens in which only positive thoughts are allowed.

Who is setting the bar here what a modern gamer is? You and your personal taste?
Sales data and statistics do, pretty much.
No different from other forms of entertainment.

Last edited:

shubik

Sales data and statistics do, pretty much.
No different from other forms of entertainment.

Yes, and there is clearly a big market for cinematic story-driven games. Otherwise, SONY would not be this successful, and games like the last of us would not be considered masterpieces of this medium by many.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Every of his video is whining how bad every game is nowadays,
That's simply not true, he has a lot of videos of games that he really enjoys.
Those videos not often make the same numbers, though, (given that internet and social media only really thrive on negativity) so you might just not be aware of that.

But one valid criticism of his work is definitely that he sometimes picks games that were clear from the get-go would not be for him.
And then he just makes himself miserable for no good reason. It's still entertaining, but I do wish he'd do some more research before he goes into a review.

I don't think that's the case for this game, though. It goes much further in its handholding than similar games (incl. other AAA) do, he didn't expect that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I certainly won't play them. And I'm not agitated, either.

Well, you clearly are agitated. Not for nothing. I mean you linked to a dramatic and slightly hyperbolic YouTuber and typed up a thoughtful post on the topic full of negative emotion. Again, not for nothing.

And it's cool that you won't be playing these kinds of games. But, with that established, why come into the OT for a game of this nature you don't want to play and try to challenge people who are enjoying it? Couldn't you start some nuanced and deeper thread regarding your tastes vis a vis these types of games compared to others instead? Just a suggestion.

You'll just have to live with that, I'm afraid. Thankfully, this place is not one of the online kindergardens in which only positive thoughts are allowed.

No one said you couldn't or shouldn't discuss it, or that GAF is a hug box, or whatever else you were attempting to convey there.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Absolutely.

Indeed.

I agree. 🤷‍♂️

but I guess that’s what a lot of people like these days but at least there are still gameplay oriented games that are also popular so it’s not that bad.

Malakhov

Banned
I just can't believe how they pulled the dialogue without being cheezy, time flies by playing this

I'm getting 120fps in highest settings on PC, looks absolutely gorgeous as well

Last edited:
Just completed it on PS5!

Took me 21 hours with 88% trophies obtained. I got almost all the costumes and was able to fully upgrade all abilities and perks.

I couldn’t stop playing this game from day to day. I’ve been playing since launch on Tuesday.

What an amazing game. The art direction, voice acting, character animations, amazing graphics and fun team based gameplay was just so much fun and a joy to play through. I loved hovering over the battlefield and commanding the team sometimes without even firing a shot myself. It felt so fluid and fun to command the team and the intensity of the battles with great ways to pair team abilities together really made for something special.

The fact the team is always with you, always talking and chatting. With the dialogue changing based on what you’re doing is just so organic and great. The puzzles and exploration was fun and the pacing flowed really well. Their AI was great and they just all felt so alive. Plus I was suprised with the dialogue options and how it effected the ending, missions and just how things play out. It’s fairly basic like a Telltale game but more involved than auto pilot cutscenes in a Naughty Dog game for example. Honestly, the tier of character animations, facial animations, voice acting and writing is on par if not above anything ND has done too. This is top tier work.

I hope we see a sequel as they made an amazing universe here and I would say this is an even better Guardians universe than that in the MCU.

Fantastic work Eidos Montreal! This will definitely be in my top 5 for GOTY 2021.

Here are some non spoilers screens I took (PS5 Quality Mode):
1224730-B-149-C-41-BF-A19-B-D24812-FB553-E.jpg

1-AA1-DD01-2-BEF-44-D8-9-D7-A-5-F718-C103-DB1.jpg

BAE29985-52-AF-4-B93-BEE9-A0-B279-A13-F91.jpg

FE02678-D-D8-C5-48-F6-82-F7-0-C65-CD9640-A3.jpg

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Man do I love this game. I have just finished chapter 4 and its absolutely amazing.
The interactions between the characters are so great. Funny, on-point and so natural. The locations are varied, the story is interesting, the pacing is perfect and it just feel something that was crafted very lovingly. The game also surprises me with the level of detail, like the remarks your team-mates make when you do something unexpected, stupid or simply get side-tracked. This is a AAAA top-tier developer effort IMHO.
If you like single player games then this is a must. I am so glad I supported this.

Top Bottom