• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

CGNoire

(Common people what wrong with some of you satisfied with that showcase which have ps4 visuals and gameplay because it run at 4k) , this showcase shouldn't have Been came from one of biggest sony first party studio
Dont worry most here see the truth. Its always the tail end of threads where the contrarians congregate after the majority have already made there opinions known.

CGNoire

I love Burning Shores. I championed the hell out of that game. I said at the time the draw distance is the most current gen feature in the DLC.

SM2 draw distance makes Burning Shores look basic. That's how great and next level it is. They are rendering structures and details on buildings at the very end of the damn horizon with the camera at a near surface level angle. That is insane! No fog, no lens flare obstructing to hide deficiencies. The only limitation to the detail you see will be the rendering resolution (or here, shitty youtube compression). The matrix awakens often struggles to render detail on relatively close objects. That doesn't take anything away from the technical feats of UE5.

Is SM2 polished to perfection yet? No. Am I annoyed that they didn't show off more of the visual splendor and less of the unpolished gameplay? Yes. But the next gen SSD tech is on display here. They are doing things that not even Matrix Awakens demo or any other real time rendering project has done.

oMfJrQN.jpg

X1GIEN3.jpg
Jesus Christ that Crow you ate did not stay down.

Edder1

Because SM1 and Miles already looked way better than ratchet ps4
Ratchet PS4 looked as good as any other game with cartoony graphics last gen. In fact it was at the top tier of that art style from visual standpoint. We can't downplay how good it looked at the time, many outlets had it as one of the best looking games in 2016. After 60fps PS5 patch Digital Foundry did a video on it and kept saying how impressive the game still looks. Rift Apart was easily generational leap over it. Spiderman though, it looks like Spiderman 1.5 from a a technical point of view, even managing to look worse than MM at certain points.

It's pretty obvious that Spiderman 2 was built on top of MM and there wasn't a graphical overhaul like there was with Rift Apart, a game that was built from ground up to showcase PS5's potential. I think Wolverine will provide that generational leap in fidelity because it will be built from ground up and won't be reusing 90% of last gen assets like what Spiderman 2 is doing.

Last edited:

Msamy

It's really weird how sony delayed (maybe eventually canceled) last of us online project because it's needs more time and not match bungie standards (not ND standards) , in the other hand they allowed insomniac to show that shit gameplay trailer for their biggest tittle this year at the end of 2 years awaited playstation showcase, really there is something wrong happens inside SIE right now

Noxxera

Felt like I am looking at a Saints Row 3 Remaster, just with way worse gameplay and stuff. I played Miles Morales, it was fun to swing, but this didn't really interest me, because of how it was presented as this ultra-cinematic heavy game.

That's what makes me interested in the spiderman games tho, the cinematic feel. Gameplay is it's own thing mixed with cinematics and I'm sold.

The bottom one looks amazing! No problem if the game looks like that for launch.....

;)

What's the bottom one, Miles Morales?

I don't understand how anyone who cares about graphics can be happy with a next gen only sequel to a cross gen game if it looks the same (with parts looking worse)...

Don't just accept that "well it's good enough and is how it is" you guys.

This is the first generation where gamers have been so accepting of diminishing quality like this. When I say diminishing I mean for the hardware and time-frame of when it's releasing.

If enough people complain we'll get a much needed delay to hopefully get this to where it should be.

Unless you really don't care about graphics to which I completely understand. Not everyone cares whether it looks better them Miles Morales or needs a next gen game. Please though, can we not pretend like people are crazy for wanting it to look better?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ppl that say SM2 looks worst than SM1 or MM are high on drugs

There are instances where the game looks objectively worse than Miles Morales. There are also instances where the game is displayig current gen capabilities beyond what the Matrix Awakens was able to accomplish. Some unfortunate souls lack the mental capacity to understand that both can be true especially for a current gen game that is still in development.

Crash Bandicoot 4
Psychonauts 2
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Sonic Forces
Sonic Frontiers
Stray
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Biomutant
Destroy All Humans
Sunset Overdrive
High on Life

All games with a fraction of the budget that SM2 gets compared to

Edder1

All games with a fraction of the budget that SM2 gets compared to
Budget doesn't always equal graphics, otherwise SM2 would look much better than it does. And if you wanna go down this path then let me remind you of Kingdom Hearts 3, a game with very long development cycle and massive production values. Ratchet PS4 was still impressive visually last gen wether you admit it or not. And the fact that SM2 has massive budget only proves how disappointing it is to have it look so much worse than something like Forbidden West, a cross gen game.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol, what???

SM2 draw distance makes Burning Shores look basic. That's how great and next level it is. They are rendering structures and details on buildings at the very end of the damn horizon with the camera at a near surface level angle. That is insane! No fog, no lens flare obstructing to hide deficiencies. The only limitation to the detail you see will be the rendering resolution (or here, shitty youtube compression). The matrix awakens often struggles to render detail on relatively close objects. That doesn't take anything away from the technical feats of UE5.

Which one is demonstrating better draw distance?

49QEOKG.jpg

Tzi5xd8.jpg

Its hard not to be disappointed looking at the stream but the 4k trailer looks great there's obvious visual blemishes they need to address though, side note the audio sounds amazing

Budget doesn't always equal graphics, otherwise SM2 would look much better than it does. And if you wanna go down this path then let me remind you of Kingdom Hearts 3, a game with very long development cycle and massive production values. Ratchet PS4 was still impressive visually last gen wether you admit it or not. And the fact that SM2 has massive budget only proves how disappointing it is to have it look so much worse than something like Forbidden West, a cross gen game.

I never said ratchet wasn’t impressive

But the remastered ps5 versions of Spider-Man are really clouding your judgment of a leap because Spider-Man already got one at ps5’s launch, thus SM2 is being compared to a remastered ps5 title. Ratchet is not

I frankly don’t think it looks “much worse” than horizon. The style is different, it’s still a very great looking game

Edder1

But the remastered ps5 versions of Spider-Man are really clouding your judgment of a leap because Spider-Man already got one at ps5’s launch, thus SM2 is being compared to a remastered ps5 title. Ratchet is not

I frankly don’t think it looks “much worse” than horizon. The style is different, it’s still a very great looking game
It's not "clouding my judgement" lol, it's literally how most people here and elsewhere online feel. Now compare that to how much praise Spiderman PS4 was getting when it was revealed.

There are many comparisons to original PS4 Spiderman online and it still looks very poor and nowhere near a generational upgrade. It's an asset flip of previous Spiderman games with slightly better lighting and more stuff on screen.

Forbidden West is a cross gen game that was made for PS4 as base target, I'm sure if you do a poll overwhelming majority would say it looks better than Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Spiderman 2 looks like an upgrade I would expect for PS5. The PS5 is only about twice as powerful as PS4 Pro, its not like it can do miracles. Spiderman 2 looks far better accross the board, its textures are less flat and there is more post processing effects especially indoors this is visible. The symbiote animations are more complex as well. There seems to be more interaction as well. Ratchet looks better but its not nearly as open as Spiderman 2 is and it chases for a different style to begin with.

Horizon 2 doesn't look worlds better than Horizon 1 too, especially not if you play patched Horizon 1 at 60fps. Horizon 2 looks more dense and less flat. Its the same improvements as we see now, but Horizon 1 did already look better than Spiderman 1.

Many PS4 remasters are already pushing PS5, thats why you rarely see native 4k/60 remasters because the console simply can't do it. People were blaming cross gen development but I always stood by the fact these new machines aren't all that powerful in comparison so don't expect wonders. In my opinion, many cross gen games look fairly similar to native next-gen releases and this won't change. Expect the same meltdowns once ND releases their next project.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
depend on your definition of possible.

Probably 30fps (subpar) with 1080p upscaled without RT?

ill take 60fps all day

And this will be the problem with some gamers starting in 2024. Some of yall just need to buy beefy PCs and call it quits on the console. There's zero chance the original Spiderman 2 reveal video couldn't be done at 1440p\30. And I swear it'll sell like crazy, because most gamers aren't framerate lords like some on GAF.

In my opinion, many cross gen games look fairly similar to native next-gen releases and this won't change. Expect the same meltdowns once ND releases their next project.

Yup you nailed it.

In fact arguably the best looking game is cross gen; not a next gen exclusive

People are just expecting way too much out of these consoles. I think these games all look awesome on ps5, but it’s still mostly resolution, Framerate, slightly better textures and VFX. Nothing game changing. Not even UE5 is.

But people also don’t remember what Spider-Man actually looks like on base ps4 or even the Pro.

The teaser they showed last year was just an in game cutscene of comparable quality to what we saw in a cutscene in this footage (with improved lighting and effects). Not a downgrade at all

Tbh, the graphics were the least for me… terrible gameplay footage shown. From what was presented, perhaps 60% was either non-interactive scenes or very linear with low control. They even managed to put a QTE (press O to win) in the middle of it.
Yeah but the other Spider-Man games are the same. Surely you didn't expect them to change the formula with this?

I think diminishing returns have been discussed for a while now and is only getting more apparent with every gen. What is the end goal of graphics? Because everything in that Unreal Demo looks better than real life.

Ray tracing looks super cool. But the sun doesn’t look like that and you do not get that glare with every movement, or it’s not noticeable. Imo, water in games looks better and showing more “physics” than real life these days. It’s kind of like the camera effect for iPhone - with every substantial leap in camera tech, some will tell you their pics actually look worse haha. Why? Because it looks too detailed/too high resolution. Real life doesn’t look that good

It’s all about art style now…

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Claiming Spider-Man looks like trash is just fanboyism. We did this in 2018. Forum guys and the usual influencers on socials doing their best to downplay it.

Until it released and became a gaming behemoth. I can't believe we're back to the same narrative, like we didn't keep the receipts from the last time.

Like i said, these dumb fucks around here and on youtube will eat their own shit very soon.

They will be all wrong again.

SkylineRKR

I think diminishing returns have been discussed for a while now and is only getting more apparent with every gen. What is the end goal of graphics? Because everything in that Unreal Demo looks better than real life.

Ray tracing looks super cool. But the sun doesn’t look like that and you do not get that glare with every movement, or it’s not noticeable. Imo, water in games looks better and showing more “physics” than real life these days. It’s kind of like the camera effect for iPhone - with every substantial leap in camera tech, some will tell you their pics actually look worse haha. Why? Because it looks too detailed/too high resolution. Real life doesn’t look that good

It’s all about art style now…

Its always been about art style. There is a reason why games like Mario Galaxy look timeless. And even Mario 64, with a resolution bump, still looks appealing. Nintendo chases style over specs, the Switch is showing its age sure but many of their games look very appealing despite PS5 and Series X being around the block. Many modern games tend to look lifeless because they chase realistic visuals.
Yup you nailed it.

People are just expecting way too much out of these consoles. I think these games all look awesome on ps5, but it’s still mostly resolution, Framerate, slightly better textures and VFX. Nothing game changing. Not even UE5 is.

But people also don’t remember what Spider-Man actually looks like on base ps4 or even the Pro.

The teaser they showed last year was just an in game cutscene of comparable quality to what we saw in a cutscene in this footage (with improved lighting and effects). Not a downgrade at all

Yes there has been a mid gen refresh only 4 years before PS5 came out. I've played Spiderman on Pro and its quite a blurry 30fps affair. The clarity on PS5 was insane. Like Days Gone, I was amazed by it on PS5. Sure there is some pop in and some poor texture work but overall it looks amazing on PS5. Ghost of Tsushima looks even better (its a proper PS5 remaster), in fact there aren't many games beating this one in graphics. Why? because the previous generation already looking amazing as it is. Just held back by a lower framerate, and load times.

This kinda goes for even PS3 gen already, look at Dead Space 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Sonic Generations or Mirrors Edge on Series consoles.. those games still look good. It was simply in need of a much higher res and framerate.

If these are from a newer build then there is nothing to worry about. We really don't know how old that build was or what the newest one looks like.
Yeah I think the assests almost the same. Maybe they edit the picture to make it stand out, add blurs, calibrate colors etc etc. Like same picture but using photo mode.

It isn't impressing that much like some people said they use pc max setting picture to marketing.

The video trailer has motion blur on so if you take screenshot of course it'll look like shit.

But I'm still disappointed and understand why people mad. At least they should make the foliage model better. Grasses look like shit, tree is standard ps4 model...

Last edited:
Does this little re re not realize that SSR can look almost as good as RT reflections depending on the application and resolution, but where the illusion breaks down is accuracy and movement (seeing it deconstruct and reconstruct like in RDR2)?

They look amazing in that game, and are a great rasterization trick when standing still, where it starts to lose it's magic is when you move the camera and the edges break down.
I think I saw this apparent the most in Dishonored 2. Was so amazed by Carnaca level I think, hunting The Duke, I think in 2016. Sneaked past some gurads on the rocky coast. Looked up and down and SSR just crapped out big time. Breaking the immersion. I honestly would take some milder looking water with Raytracing any day which does not break immersion. It not like water looks off charts all the time irl.

The few things which sticked out about Spider-Man 2, as an older gamer, tampered with expectations.

The lightning looked off at the beginning of the gameplay with symbiote suit, when Parker jumped the Jeep thingie. Something just screamed PS3 to me from that scene.

Symbiote suit can look a bit off in a few shots.

Low quality bubbles underwater.

I bet those things could be fixed its not like I am expecting them to pathtrace everything on a PS5.

I also noticed when they are riding on water jet skis and water is rocky it looks very photorealistic. And was pleased with this particular scene. Some people will say that its too Uncharted like, so some people will be not pleased either way.

[Sigma]

I'm not disappointed at all. It's a highly detail city. Looks like a slight upgrade from the little we see overall but im sure there will be more things/areas and other stuff that will look more impressive as more is shown. I didn't expect a huge upgrade so im not disappointed, it looks fantastic visually.

Everyone keeps saying that yet no one ever saw any info that it’s a banned source. Maybe it’s just not

It used to be. At least you couldn't make threads dedicated to El Analista de Bits. You would have to go through Evil Lores history to see that.

Edit: I found this.

Mod edit: do not use this source for comparison or analysis. Stick to VG, NXG, DF

That was November 2022.

I don't blame you for not seeing it since they shut down those threads pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Outside of the water (which is a huge step up from Spider-Man, but much much poorer than Horizon) I thought it looked very good. Urban settings in broad daylight are difficult to make look ‘incredible’ with the level of action going on.
Wet weather, night time etc are when we really see the benefits of the HW and upgrades.

Msamy

Yup you nailed it.

The best looking game currently is horizon forbidden west which is cross gen as you said but it's developer take many advantages of ps5 go see the comparisons between ps4 and ps5 versions also it's have generational difference over zero dawn, and Spiderman 2 (which is ps5 only) In the other hand can't stand against hfw in any aspect, I think you played burning and you you what mean , and thats what makes spiderman 2 big disappointed , insomniac shouldn't do that showcase and deside to release in fall if it's not ready ,,(spider man 2 looks even shit compared to other insomniac ps5 only title (rift apart ) .

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Am I allowed to be really excited for the game still? Even if it doesn't look much different than the original / miles morales?

Kagero

The world looked amazing to me as well as the lighting. The character art needs some work. They almost look last-gen to me.

aries_71

Am I allowed to be really excited for the game still? Even if it doesn't look much different than the original / miles morales?
I don’t know. Gaf is very tough with these things, they may decide you are not allowed to be excited. 😂

I made the mistake of playing Miles Morales on a PC. I know I shouldn’t, but it ruined pretty much any excitement I had for SM2. Playing on PC things and then going back to consoles is like being used to play at 60 fps and then going back to 30. You spoil yourself forever.

Elios83

The game looks fantastic. There are some blemishes that confirm that it's work in progress and non doctored footage (the splashes on the water are very basic transparencies effects, the venom suit has some weird reflections), but overall it was amazing.
We all know like happened with God of War and other games that some people have to criticize for console war reasons because it's a huge exclusive for a certain system.

Top Bottom