• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

protonion

uscaC6I.jpeg

wvnative

It looks to me like they prioritized image quality over raw visual improvement. Nothing wrong with a clean image, but it certainly doesn't have the wow factor the first game's reveal did.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People keep expecting huge leaps in graphics

I Dont Think So No Way GIF
But, but, but then we bring up the Unreal Matrix demo that struggled to keep 30fps, choppy, flickering motion blur mess, all while having absolutely zero gameplay elements other than flying and driving around like you were an early 3D cell phone game. With shit physics and animations. Yes, it looked impressive, for a tech demo...

Add all the elements of gameplay, AI, cinematics, particle effects, volumetric, animations, physics engines, etc., in modern games on top of that Matrix demo simulation and,
Lando Calrissian Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

And don't forget 40 or 60fps modes we all are accustomed to now on consoles.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The graphics to me looked really really good.. but after Spider-Man and Miles Morales and hundreds of hours of open world gameplay, I'm just burnt out on Spider-Man for a while.
It doesn't come out until October so you still have plenty of time to wind down from all those games, lol.

Topher

Gold Member
But, but, but then we bring up the Unreal Matrix demo that struggled to keep 30fps, choppy, flickering motion blur mess, all while having absolutely zero gameplay elements other than flying and driving around like you were an early 3D cell phone game. With shit physics and animations. Yes, it looked impressive, for a tech demo...

Add all the elements of gameplay, AI, cinematics, particle effects, volumetric, animations, physics engines, etc., in modern games on top of that Matrix demo simulation and,

Yeah, that Matrix demo really fucked with people's minds. Thus, the repeated disappointment.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, that Matrix demo really fucked with people's minds. Thus, the repeated disappointment.
I still think there will be games that we have yet to see, that will blow us away, but Insomniac's style with Marvel and the like, are not the ones to do it. They don't go for that hyper-realism, they have that cartoon/comic slight sheen to them.

With that said, the game did look improved in a lot of ways compared to the one's prior. A lot of things from the IQ, to the city, to the lighting/volumentrics and facial animations stood out. Final build from this demo I feel will look better as well come this Fall.

Topher

Gold Member
I still think there will be games that we have yet to see, that will blow us away, but Insomniac's style with Marvel and the like, are not the ones to do it. They don't go for that hyper-realism, they have that cartoon/comic slight sheen to them.

With that said, the game did look improved in a lot of ways compared to the one's prior. A lot of things from the IQ, to the city, to the lighting/volumentrics and facial animations stood out. Final build from this demo I feel will look better as well come this Fall.

Sony first party have always been the ones to do things on consoles that wouldn't seem possible given the hardware. The animations in TLOU 2 still blows my mind. I hope we get more experiences like that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony first party have always been the ones to do things on consoles that wouldn't seem possible given the hardware. The animations in TLOU 2 still blows my mind. I hope we get more experiences like that.
If Naughty Dog doesn't have mind blowing tech in their next mainline adventure (not counting Factions 2), then this gen is a wash as far as I'm concerned visually. Or, they took a major step back on that focus which would be a shock considering that is where they still house their ICE technology teams I believe.

Last edited:

Hugare

Better graphics is the reason why 90% of the people bought a PS5

Otherwise why bother? Just stick to your PS4, if the experience will be pretty much the same

10 seconds of loading instead of 1 minute is nice but it wasnt the main selling point

Regarding the game, I'll definitely play it and probably enjoy it, since I liked the past game

But yeah, it looks disapointing.

Gotta have it running at 60 FPS, 4K, RT reflections (they had it on Miles and Remastered, so they had to also include it here), so there you have it, a marginal upgrade over the last games

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I am not looking for Matrix level graphics, but if you are going to show off the game as being more of hte same? I expect better graphics. What was really "new"? We have a symbiote suit, which plays with a few new movesets compared to the classic Spidey combat we saw in Spidey 1. Miles look and plays exactly the same, from what I can tell. Maybe a new move here or there? A few new gadgets, meh. Wing suit, cool I guess? Nothing that really changes the minute to minute gameplay.

What about open world mission structure? Will little girls lose balloons that I can grab? Can I interact with the ground and sign autographs? Can I catch purse snatchers? Or will it be the same 5-6 missions repeated ad nauseum like the last two games?

ALl we got was the same generic mission/story strucuture with even *more* linear/scripted "action set pieces" with little interactivity. If you are going to basically show us Spidey 1.5, then you better have improved graphics to a point where it looks noticeably better on next gen hardware. Whether that is volumetric smoke, steam rising from the hot asphault, gas from sewers, etc.

ProtoByte

Yeah, the matrix demo was always a bad frame of reference.

That said, I do look at Forbidden West/Burning Shores and even Rift Apart, and wonder why this doesn't look to be on par with either. And Horizon is a cross gen open world game.

I was so sure that Insomniac would be the most keen to hound Naughty Dog about their animation systems. Spider-Man could gain so much from that shit.

It's not me getting too old. It's me hating almost every choice devs are making these days. I HATE this stupid 4k\60 crap that people are pushing for. Hopefully SOMEONE within Sony gives us a 1440p\30 game with everything cranked to 11.

I dunno, gamers turned on me. We're not in sync anymore 😂

This 4k 60 push is essentially by people who dont understand the limitations of their hardware. These are typically console only players who never knew the feeling of cranking a graphical setting too high for their system on PC and seeing it chug.

It sounds juvenile but it's just alot of noobs or smart dumb kids who dont undrrstand what they are sacrificing. We're largely unhappy with the graphics this gen so far right? Well, this is what happens when you want 4k60 for everything. And look at that, it kinda isnt better. Its underwhelming and lacking wow next gen factor. Stagnating. These gamer opinions resulted in a shittier gen. Thanks.

You can argue with me all day about how you cant go back to 30 fps blah blah blah, but look at the result you created for the gen so far. It sucks, a large percentage of the userbase online is underwhelmed.
You say you dont care about graphics yet 4k is a must for you lol Make a decision. Mayne just maybe, this decision isnt as wise as you think it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am not looking for Matrix level graphics, but if you are going to show off the game as being more of hte same? I expect better graphics. What was really "new"? We have a symbiote suit, which plays with a few new movesets compared to the classic Spidey combat we saw in Spidey 1. Miles look and plays exactly the same, from what I can tell. Maybe a new move here or there? A few new gadgets, meh. Wing suit, cool I guess? Nothing that really changes the minute to minute gameplay.

What about open world mission structure? Will little girls lose balloons that I can grab? Can I interact with the ground and sign autographs? Can I catch purse snatchers? Or will it be the same 5-6 missions repeated ad nauseum like the last two games?

ALl we got was the same generic mission/story strucuture with even *more* linear/scripted "action set pieces" with little interactivity. If you are going to basically show us Spidey 1.5, then you better have improved graphics to a point where it looks noticeably better on next gen hardware. Whether that is volumetric smoke, steam rising from the hot asphault, gas from sewers, etc.
You are asking questions that blog posts and state of plays usually answer closer to release.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You are asking questions that blog posts and state of plays usually answer closer to release.

Considering those were the biggest problems with the original game, they should have shown that off here. Wouldn't have been too hard either. Just have Miles being a friendly neighborhood spiderman before he is called up by Parker to go chase after Conners. Maybe 2-3 minutes of added gameplay.

Last edited:
Wow! I was fatigued after playing MM because I 100% both. However, this got me legit excited. I honestly don't care about graphics anymore since they've been implementing hardware features. The almost instant switch between Spiderman let me know they're utilizing specs elsewhere. I guess people expectations were high and I guess it's warranted depending on why you bought a PS5. I've had one since launch and I'm actually backlogged and loading alone warranted the purchase.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This made me appreciate how much care went into the water splashes in Totk when you hit it from a height.

Yea, small touches like that help make the world feel more living/alive. Hopefully they add it to the sequel with other minor improvements, but somehow I doubt we will see that.

I say it look nice. I mean spider man game not something I’m getting hype about or getting day one. But it was the most cleaner looking and better looking compare to the games I’m really interested in.

Graphics are as expected to be honest. Don't understand why people think we would get Matrix level graphics when it ran at 1080p/30 at best. It would probably have to run below 720p to get 60fps. This gen needed to be at least in the 15 to 16Tf range and even then you wouldn't get what people expect. The PS3 was literally about 30 times as powerful as the PS2. That would be like the PS5 having over 50TF. We are lucky to get a 5 times increase. It wasn't even 6gf. So why the comparisons. To be honest the biggest issue is the gameplay. Looks identical and after playing TOTK I am a bored of the scripted gameplay. If graphics are becoming harder to improve, devs need to at least innovate on the gameplay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Considering those were the biggest problems with the original game, they should have shown that off here. Wouldn't have been too hard either. Just have Miles being a friendly neighborhood spiderman before he is called up by Parker to go chase after Conners. Maybe 2-3 minutes of added gameplay.
That is true. Do they even recognize those issues, though? Considering the games have sold over 20 million, I believe?

BlackTron

The Spider-Man games we already have had already unlocked too much potential of the console. It's not that they didn't do good enough now, they just did too good before and failed to pace themselves.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Really? Looks the same to me.

Not at all. Detail levels are way higher and the RT shadows are actually really impressive and seem to be applied even at far distances.

But obviously the impact has been muted by the fact that the game has been improved and upgraded several times over. Seeing the Remaster (or Miles Morales) maxed on PC can give you a bit of a false memory of how this game actually looked when it came out.

sinnergy

I have seen more impressive games , but maybe it will impress when launched. For now it looks like a small upgrade , not a next-gen only game, to be honest.

platina

Spider-Man 2 isn't better than Miles Morales.. but different I'd say. Some areas are improved, some aren't, some worse.

52923883568_afc7641a91_o.jpg

The reveal trailer was misleading though:

1684997399-fw7jpzdwcauzxlb.jpg

Spider-Man and Miles Morales were crazy fun games though. It's a shame the debate got reduced to graphics. I'm aware I'm participating.
Here’s an interesting note. Texture resolution seemed reduced dramatically in Spider-Man 2 compared to miles morales. You remember DF praising MM 4k mode with the aa making the image quality looking better than native 4k? Yeah, that’s out

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just watched the 4k YouTube version and as long as they can get 60fps sorted, which I know insomniac will....I think its looks fine to good.

Sure its not a jump and looks like the ps4 could handle it with some cuts but the game still looks fun and while obviously a cinematic game, we all know its going to be tons of fun and I'm really excited to see what they do with the story.

I'm hyped as fook to be honest. This game was rhe highlight of the show.

Last edited:

Stafford

It certainly isn't a generational leap like some expected and it certainly isn't what the announcement trailer showed, but....shit graphics?

Brrrrrrrruh

hemo memo

Gold Member
It looks as expected honestly which is good but nothing to write home about. I enjoy Spiderman for the gameplay.

Fabieter

I think a lot of people are focusing TOO much on the graphics and ignoring the aspect that the damn game is nearly three times bigger map wise! The first game and MM only had Manhattan, this time they've made some improvements to Manhattan AND at least added Brooklyn and Queens!

Manhattan in the first game/MM was already one of the most detailed and biggest representations of New York so the fact that there's more boroughs with as much detail is insane, they've increased the scope of the game, the gameplay area is huge.

If I read somewhere on a sequel that the map is x time as big than that basically an instant turn off. Maybe they should have went for upgraded assets instead of make the game even bigger.

Top Bottom