• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

The first time you get the black suit ….
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

Neolombax

Gold Member
About 10hrs or so in, the world is undeniably beautiful and the traversal is just really smooth. I find myself just going from crime to crime just to zip past buildings, its great. Graphically I can say it can be uneven at times. Set pieces wise I think they ramped it up quite a bit compared to the first 2 games.

Found a couple of bugs while playing. There was one where I sat on a bench and was just stuck there until I reloaded because there was no button to press to stand up. I got stuck in geometry in a couple of story missions during combat too

DrFigs

Am I missing something? Or are ppl like you just saying that cause there is gay ppl in it?
I was like 10 mins in and they have a sign interpreter in the high school classroom, Miles Morales and friend know sign language to speak with their black female deaf friend. Not saying this is a bad thing. but this level of inclusion stands out to me. I also am basing this off of what I've read about the game, but haven't personally played yet though.

Last edited:

decisions

I was like 10 mins in and they have a sign interpreter in the high school classroom, Miles Morales and friend know sign language to speak with their black female deaf friend. Not saying this is a bad thing. but this level of inclusion stands out to me. I also am basing this off of what I've read about the game, but haven't personally played yet though.

I am still wondering if using sign language and speaking out loud at the same time like they do in the game is something that even happens? I thought sign language involved using specific mouth movements and facial expressions. I’m honestly curious about this if anyone who knows ASL can say.

RickSanchez

They listened to people who wanted more slow sections and stealth sections compared to the first game.

No need to say that these people should be castrated on the spot :lollipop_squinting:

i am one of those (apparently minority) weirdos. I liked the slow-paced puzzles and stealth sections of the previous games and i like them in this game. I think they provide a much needed break from the intense action of combat and traversal. A mental respite if you will.

Fight Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I've been playing for hours and the game is still teaching me how to do the things I've already been doing.

"Here's how you do a perch takedo ... I KNOW!"

ChiefDada

There was a sign language interpreter who sat in my 6th grade class to translate for a buddy of mine. I knew small sign vocabulary, but I picked up all the sign alphabets very well enough I could have effective communication with him. This was well over 20 years ago and there was nothing remotely weird about it then.

So no reason to trouble yourself over the very normal realities of life. You'll have a great time with the game when you get to it. It's amazing.

Something like that doesn't really bother me. Now if they gave you handiman as a sidekick and you had to take care of him I would question it.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Been playing a few hours. Insomniac are like the NBA team Washington.

Great game, open world, fun to explore. Just running around hitting small stuff trying to get used to combos.

I was there for an 8 PM release of Marvel's Spider-Man at my local GameStop back in 2018. I was so hyped for that game it was half the reason I bought a PS4 after I started working part time post high school graduation. When I got home and started playing it I was legitimately thrilled to not immediately get the swinging right because I wanted the web swinging to require skill and finesse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 goes above and beyond in that aspect. I immediately cranked swing assist down to zero and turned on fall damage. I'm still not fully perfect at web swinging, and I love it.

Hugare

I've done quite a lot of main missions already, and I swear, 80% of them were excuses for some new minigame that I couldnt care less

That section where you are in the May Institute, my God, every new room a new boring minigame was introduced.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

I dont remember the pacing being this bad in Spider-man 2018 and Miles Morales

Sleepwalker

I've done quite a lot of main missions already, and I swear, 80% of them were excuses for some new minigame that I couldnt care less

That section where you are in the May Institute, my God, every new room a new boring minigame was introduced.

Im not sure where you are, but if its the first time you go to the may foundation, I immediately went up to harry as soon as possible and hes all like "oh dude why didnt u feed the fish?" lol. Fuck them fish harry.

Also the basketball game was awful.

Im enjoying the game very much though, going from high area and taking everyone down via stealth is scratching my Batman itch Rocksteady refuses to.

ChiefDada

You can always skip it if you want

Hugare

You can always skip it if you want
No I cant

They present every minigame at least once during main missions. And that would be ok if they were paced better.

But every mission from the first 5h of the game have minigame tutorials. Its boring af and kills all the pacing.

They were paced much better in 2018 and MM

DrFigs

I like the mini games a lot. It keeps things interesting. certainly better than quick time events or just long non-interactive cutscenes.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
I take it you didn't play Miles Morales? Miles meets the girl there, and he's trying to get it on, so obviously he tries to teach himself sign language.

As for the interpreter, one may be present if there are students with special needs (at least here in .fi, don't know how it works in the US).

Last edited:

SCB3

Thats not woke, thats fairly normal for a lot of people, nothing wrong with this at all,

Is this stuff really what people are getting triggered with? The fuck is wrong with people?

Anyway, I've just got to the part where
Harry and Peter create the Serum for Dr Conners and the Hunters attack

And yea I'm not sure where Miles fits in so far, I feel it may have been better served as just a Peter/Harry story but we'll see where its going

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh, look. 0451 easter egg. I wish developers would play more Deus Ex and maybe learn a thing or two about stealth gameplay because this section is just painful.

F9CdhOFWgAAxB-J

Played a few hours so far and overall I'm liking it, in a "this is more of the thing I liked last time" way. But I have a few issues.

--The combat feels like the last game's, "sloppy Arkham."

--Too much tech stuff in the gameplay and in the plot. I'm beyond tired of everything being about using an app or your phone or drones that report things to your phone.

--Complaining about 'liberal politics' in a Spider-Man story is silly. That's what the character has always been. Having said that, I did get pretty peeved at the "food production shouldn't involve profit" line. I grew up in a rural/farming area in a flyover state, and to me the line really came off like "Those People need to work for me for free."

--I'm not sure if the devs get the irony of Harry's Tech Utopia being paid for by the business acumen of a literal supervillain, but that's to be expected.

My favorite part so far is swinging through the city and stopping random crimes.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Pacing wasn't bad. Not nearly as bad as TLOU2. There was one point near the end where I was fearing it was getting into another LA type drudge like in TLOU2, but it didn't and the ending was great.

Few bugs here and there but my biggest complaint is how much they wasted Venom and Kraven. Insomniac's choices made for the sake of a "unique" take on the villain nonsensically complicate things, to the point where I'm not even interested in Norman or Harry enough anymore to see the Green Goblin payoff.

BUT they did manage to surprise me, as I'm nearly at the end and was not prepared for how things escalate so quickly.

Had no idea they were going to go...
symbiote world domination. All happened too quickly, and doesn't even make sense given canon, but OK.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
symbiote world domination. All happened too quickly, and doesn't even make sense given canon, but OK.
And you'd think there would be some declaration of nation emergency with the army getting involved or something.

Kinda the same thing with the beginning how all that can be going down with no cops or other authorities showing up.

Last edited:
And you'd think there would be some declaration of nation emergency with the army getting involved or something.

Kinda the same thing with the beginning how all that can be going down with no cops or other authorities showing up.
Agreed.

Game has some weird moments where it clealry wants to be happening in a Marvel universe. (Stuff with BlackCat and the wand and Wong, giant 4 on the Baxter Building, etc.) and not that I expected the Avengers to show up, but its like everything occurring is in a vacuum.

sigmaZ

Gold Member
Ok. Just got to the carnival section. This games got some serious bad design decisions and bugs. Unless it does something shocking good with the story later on, it's a 7.5 at best. I've never seen some basic game design philosophy ignored in a triple AAA title like this.
-Sections where you're fighting or doing an activity and suddenly the game just lets you loose in a confined area without any clear indication of what's going on or what to do.
- Getting trapped in action loops inside walls.
-Falling through floors (always a classic)

I experienced none of these issues in the first two spidermen games. Maybe if the team focused less on useless mini-games they could have focused on QA a little more and fixed up the mangled faces in the game in the meantime.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Few bugs here and there but my biggest complaint is how much they wasted Venom and Kraven. Insomniac's choices made for the sake of a "unique" take on the villain nonsensically complicate things, to the point where I'm not even interested in Norman or Harry enough anymore to see the Green Goblin payoff.

BUT they did manage to surprise me, as I'm nearly at the end and was not prepared for how things escalate so quickly.

It's based on the newer Symbiote canon in the comics

LukeAJN

Has anyone gotten some weird kind of frame rate bug after putting the PS5 into rest mode? Fidelity was playing smooth as butter on the first day, put the PS asleep to go make some food, came back and turned it on and I was only getting about 10 FPS. Weirdly performance mode is still fine EXCEPT for when in the mini map, which drops massive amounts of frames again.

Sethbacca

The slingshot launch mechanic is probably my favorite of the new things. Just flying around the map is so gratifying.

The combat also feels more visceral and amped up in difficulty vs the same difficulty in the last couple games. Not sure if anyone else feels that way but I find myself dying to crowds a bit more than I’m used to in the other games.

Has anyone gotten some weird kind of frame rate bug after putting the PS5 into rest mode? Fidelity was playing smooth as butter on the first day, put the PS asleep to go make some food, came back and turned it on and I was only getting about 10 FPS. Weirdly performance mode is still fine EXCEPT for when in the mini map, which drops massive amounts of frames again.

Yes. Had this happen twice, I had to go into settings and reactivate the 120hz option again.

It's based on the newer Symbiote canon in the comics

Whack. Falls flat IMO.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The combat also feels more visceral and amped up in difficulty vs the same difficulty in the last couple games. Not sure if anyone else feels that way but I find myself dying to crowds a bit more than I’m used to in the other games.

I'm playing on whatever the default difficulty is and I've died exactly once. I'm few hours in, without any spoilers I just got the 'black suit'. Combat feels too similar to Miles Morales which felt too similar to Spider-Man which felt like Arkham Asylum from 2009. Maybe for Spider-Man 3 they will try something different.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Game is a stunner in 30 fps mode. I switched back from 40 to see the difference and while the 40 fps mode is already gorgeous the 30 fps mode is just so damn crisp everytime and the annoying flickering on buildings is almost completely gone. The image quality combined with the density of the city and the LOD makes the game looks stunning especially on OLED with the amazing HDR.

Weakest part of the gfx are definitely the character models, they look really weak even main characters. Character design is a downgrade too compared to previous games, almost every character looks worse. Insomniac really need to improve their human character rendering, because their characters in ratchet looked outstanding but human characters in their games always looks off

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Weakest part of the gfx are definitely the character models, they look really weak even main characters. Character design is a downgrade too compared to previous games, almost every character looks worse. Insomniac really need to improve their human character rendering, because their characters in ratchet looked outstanding but human characters in their games always looks off

They definitely look different!

This is Miles Morales:

0NuI6Y6.jpeg

This is Spider-Man 2:

F9DABqIWoAAM07J

Top Bottom