• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

DrFigs

I think this game is leagues better than the first one. The pacing and variety is always interesting; having two characters going back and forth really helps. I also like the minigames, which apparently is divisive.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The ending has both good and bad parts to it. For me the biggest issue is

Peter is leaving a 17 year old to be Spider-Man . Like how is Rio going to handle this considering her son is about to go to college and need to be Spider-Man ? She’s supportive but the boy couldn’t even write an essay this entire game. He somehow wrote it at the very end.

The good part is seems the dlc or sequel will introduce Silk to help him out, and of course Carnage and Green Goblin are set as the final villains for the third and final game. Doc Oc potentially as well so 3 really big bads.

Certinty

That ending... lmao.

I put up with everything this game threw at me, but that ending was painful. Feels like they are testing the limits of how far this can go.
Which part?

I thought the game on spectacular was pretty easy.

I thought the gold metal on a few of the challenges were actually far harder than any other parts of the game.

decisions

Say what now? There are definitely cops around the city lmao

You realize Miles' father was a cop right? lmfao

Guess you haven’t actually played the game, but don’t take it from me, take it from
the people who are celebrating Insomniac’s choice to all but remove police in Spiderman’s crime-fighting (spoilers in article): https://www.thegamer.com/spider-man-2-biggest-improvement-attitude-cops/

“Police featuring in the game at all is extremely rare, and when they do it's only in situations where their absence would be weird - when a building is destroyed, there's gonna be a cop nearby scratching their head wondering what to do. But neither Peter nor Miles have much communication with them, instead talking to the Fire Chief when they need a link to the more grounded emergency services.”

Hugare

It is quite terrible. It’s like designers played Left Behind DLC and somehow decided this gameplay loop would be ideal for action packed superhero game.
Nah, even Left Behind had less minigames interrupting the flow of the game

Played some more this morning, up to the Mysterio "game", and yet again, had to play through some dumb, piss easy DJ Hero minigame with Miles.

I just wanna punch some dudes and swing around the city, man

Imagine a Arkham game where you encounter Mr Freeze and he goes like "Batman, I know that you have to save Gotham, but think about the global warming for a sec. Could you please help me solve this minigame where you have to connect these ice cubes together?"

Just boring, terrible design that doesnt make sense in a game like this

Last edited:

Played some more this morning, up to the Mysterio "game", and yet again, had to play through some dumb, piss easy DJ Hero minigame with Miles.

Imagine a Arkham game where you encounter Mr Freeze and he goes like "Batman, I know that you have to save Gotham, but think about the global warming for a sec. Could you please help me solve this minigame where you have to connect these ice cubes together?"

Fortunately rocksteady and WB Montreal were more concerned about capturing the essence of the comics and tv shows and focusing on the character work than that nonsense

TimFL

Platinumed the game, unsorted thoughts / nitpicks:

Contains spoilers, only open if you finished the gsme
- Silk being teased annoyed me pretty hard, I wasn‘t that keen on Miles being introduced as Spider-Man because I‘m a hardcore Peter fanboy (since a little kid). I want to play as Peter, not interested in Miles or eventually Silk taking away time from Peter. This is not meant to be racist, I just don‘t want to play as anyone but Peter
- MJ quests in here again, never liked them in the first game, don‘t like them in this one
- That one sidequest where you play as Hailey, not interested in that one either, give me Spider-Man gameplay instead
- Procedural crimes are the same snoozefest they were in the last 2 installments. Can‘t believe we‘re in a timeline where games like RDR2 and Arkham (yep, going there) pretty much revolutionized these filler gameplay sections and Insomniac just copy / pasted the same lame crime system over with a new coat of paint. Expecting big upgrades to this for the next installment
- Loved the future villain teases in the story / side quests, hope the teasers pay off
- Wing suits are fun, using them a lot more than I thought

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I'm shocked this game got so many 10s. If this is a 10 in 2023 on PS5 then Spider-Man on PS4 in 2018 was 12/10.

I’ve kinda come to an epiphany lately

To me, PlayStation Spider-Man is less Spider-Man’s Arkham and More Spider-Man’s AAA exclusive PS first party game

It’s more like Spider-Man’s horizon/god of war/uncharted/last of us/days gone/ghosts of Tsushima etc etc

The game design, the open world design, the wannabe movie production values and cutscene direction. Just all the sensibilities from the little slow ass boring mini games to the “okay now we gotta have them control a character that’s not the lead character”, and the slow walking sections for “pacing”, to the wokeness. I dunno I could probably elucidate more on this if I sat and contemplated all my thoughts more but maybe some of you know what I’m talkin about

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm shocked this game got so many 10s. If this is a 10 in 2023 on PS5 then Spider-Man on PS4 in 2018 was 12/10.

I'm about half way through. As far as main story, I'd say it was on par with the first and better than Miles Morales. As far as gameplay, I'd say it isn't as good as either. As far as side content, this game has hit rock bottom.

Side content "spoiler"...

Just collected all those spidey bots only to see the big reveal: a portal to some bartender in another dimension making references to some person neither I nor Peter Parker knows jack shit about. Bartender takes all the bots and closes the window. The end. Fucking horrible.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think i m to old for spider man

BV missions are so cringe that make me wanna stop playing this game.

I was thinking the same but then I remembered that when I watched Into The Spider-Verse I was actually smiling and enjoying myself. So it's not that I'm too old for Spider-Man. The problem is this particular version of Spider-Man.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Guess you haven’t actually played the game, but don’t take it from me, take it from
the people who are celebrating Insomniac’s choice to all but remove police in Spiderman’s crime-fighting (spoilers in article): https://www.thegamer.com/spider-man-2-biggest-improvement-attitude-cops/

“Police featuring in the game at all is extremely rare, and when they do it's only in situations where their absence would be weird - when a building is destroyed, there's gonna be a cop nearby scratching their head wondering what to do. But neither Peter nor Miles have much communication with them, instead talking to the Fire Chief when they need a link to the more grounded emergency services.”

Yea I definitely noticed the lack of police in the game compared to the original.

I think i m to old for spider man
Hit the same revelation recently. I was so hyped back for the 2018 game. I was just a sophomore in college and I loved homecoming which I had seen in HS with my gf at the time.

As the years went on I found myself completely apathetic and un enthused by Far From Home which came out as I was going into junior year. No Way Home was a complete joke to me. It was just for too young an audience and I was I think 23 at the time.

And then I find myself here on opening weekend of the sequel to the 2018 game that I adored back then and I have zero hype what so ever. I see all this ruckus and gameplay on my Twitter feed celebrating launch week and I’m happily on the outside looking in. I watch some gameplay and cutscenes to try and hype myself up and the tone and dialogue is just too childish and juvenile for me to really get into or attach myself to emotionally. It’s just not immersive.

Then I realized that I really only liked the first 2 movies when I was a kid but otherwise couldn’t care less about Spider-Man now. Which makes me sad because I had the Spider-Man birthday parties, Halloween I was Spider-Man. He was my favorite superhero as a kid easy. Saw all the movies. This game though made me realize it’s just not for me anymore I guess

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Hit the same revelation recently. I was so hyped back for the 2018 game. I was just a sophomore in college and I loved homecoming which I had seen in HS with my gf at the time.

As the years went on I found myself completely apathetic and un enthused by Far From Home which came out as I was going into junior year. No Way Home was a complete joke to me. It was just for too young an audience and I was I think 23 at the time.

And then I find myself here on opening weekend of the sequel to the 2018 game that I adored back then and I have zero hype what so ever. I see all this ruckus and gameplay on my Twitter feed celebrating launch week and I’m happily on the outside looking in. I watch some gameplay and cutscenes to try and hype myself up and the tone and dialogue is just too childish and juvenile for me to really get into or attach myself to emotionally. It’s just not immersive.

Then I realized that I really only liked the first 2 movies when I was a kid but otherwise couldn’t care less about Spider-Man now. Which makes me sad because I had the Spider-Man birthday parties, Halloween I was Spider-Man. He was my favorite superhero as a kid easy. Saw all the movies. This game though made me realize it’s just not for me anymore I guess

Super hero genre in general for me I'm bored of. The "Whedonism" of the Marvel universe is so stale and boring.

Super hero genre in general for me I'm bored of. The "Whedonism" of the Marvel universe is so stale and boring.
Oh yeah I haven’t been into superheroes like as a genre since like junior/senior year of college honestly

Batman is the last bastion left. He’s the only one i like now. I can still enjoy the movies, the games, the shows, the comics

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Once you unlock the Spider-Verse costume you can enable the choppy animation from the cartoon in the game.

This was already a thing in Miles Morales. I want the entire game world to look like this. Insomniac is not capable of creating believable human characters, I think this style would suit them better.

nowhat

Gold Member
I'd love to see Spider-Man game looking like this. This art-style is beyond amazing.

There are Spider-Verse costumes available for both (more for Miles though) which also adjust the animation speeds, just like the Spider-Verse costume in Miles. Doesn't affect rest of the environments, but I think that's given.

MirageMew2

Is it a “choice” really or is it a natural continuation of the first game’s story? Peter’s one point of contact in the force is a vigilante now. No shit he doesn’t talk to police anymore.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Is it a “choice” really or is it a natural continuation of the first game’s story? Peter’s one point of contact in the force is a vigilante now. No shit he doesn’t talk to police anymore.

He has spoken with, at length, to many officers and quite a few are indebted and are happy for his help. It wasn't just Yuri or Miles' Dad. It is certainly an odd situation to have far less officers playing a role in the game especially given the situations of the previous titles. I am all for showing the fire department some love as they do wonderful work in NYC, but you don't need one or the other. You can have both.

Played the first hour, some good spectacle but I can already tell it’s another Sony “never stop having dialogue” design. I’m trying to beat up seven guys while getting a hang of these ten different button prompts and dodge options, do we have to be on a phone call the whole time too?

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Played the first hour, some good spectacle but I can already tell it’s another Sony “never stop having dialogue” design. I’m trying to beat up seven guys while getting a hang of these ten different button prompts and dodge options, do we have to be on a phone call the whole time too?
I'd say it gets worse than that with dialogues/monologues Peter/Miles have with the bosses during combat... 👀

Can get real grating when failing boss fights on higher difficulties.

Sleepwalker

Just got a "your ps5 is too hot" message while doing the misteryum thing as miles lol, nothing intensive was going on.

On another note, this game has really made me appreciate games like CP2077 and AC Mirage that let you skip forward dialogue.

Fake

Which part?

Peter giving up being Spider-man for a time (how long? IDK), Silk Spider? (sounds like little steps to replace Peter for good...), Osborn seek vengeace and that old revenge bruh. Really tired of that revenge bullshit is getting tedious. Is almost like the only thing Playstation Studios keep using is revenge dude. Over, over and over again. They are addicted to revenge.

Last edited:

decisions

Hmmm…Is it a conscious to choice to almost never show police fighting organized crime units committing armed robberies, assaults, etc. going down in public? Is that really even a question?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm playing on whatever the default difficulty is and I've died exactly once. I'm few hours in, without any spoilers I just got the 'black suit'. Combat feels too similar to Miles Morales which felt too similar to Spider-Man which felt like Arkham Asylum from 2009. Maybe for Spider-Man 3 they will try something different.
Fool, max difficulty is the only valid option if you are decent with action games, the game get pretty easy after some upgrades even on max difficulty.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm playing on whatever the default difficulty is and I've died exactly once. I'm few hours in, without any spoilers I just got the 'black suit'. Combat feels too similar to Miles Morales which felt too similar to Spider-Man which felt like Arkham Asylum from 2009. Maybe for Spider-Man 3 they will try something different.
Smh. Default difficulty is easy af in every game, especially this one... Put that shit on Amazing difficulty at LEAST. Maximum difficulty is even fine if you're good with action games.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fool, max difficulty is the only valid option if you are decent with action games, the game get pretty easy after some upgrades even on max difficulty.

I’m playing on Amazing and I swear I will break the square button. Will bump it up next time I play.

MirageMew2

Hmmm…Is it a conscious to choice to almost never show police fighting organized crime units committing armed robberies, assaults, etc. going down in public? Is that really even a question?

Sure but there’s also a number of side characters that pop up and actually aid you, personally more interesting than police anyway. A lot of the new crimes are on rooftops or chases or fires, hence the firemen. I’m not saying they didn’t consciously reel it back but it barely registers within the context of the story.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The ending has both good and bad parts to it. For me the biggest issue is

Peter is leaving a 17 year old to be Spider-Man . Like how is Rio going to handle this considering her son is about to go to college and need to be Spider-Man ? She’s supportive but the boy couldn’t even write an essay this entire game. He somehow wrote it at the very end.

The good part is seems the dlc or sequel will introduce Silk to help him out, and of course Carnage and Green Goblin are set as the final villains for the third and final game. Doc Oc potentially as well so 3 really big bads.
Peter has retired multiple times in the comic. Spider-Man 3 won't just be Miles. It'll be Peter and Miles.

Doc Ock's dialog hints at it being inspired by this:

y2Ffd5a.png

*clicks bio*

*Dude works for ROCKSTAR GAMES*

Oh we’re doomed

Last edited:

This is my main gameplay critique. There’s like a make a plant mini game, and a bunch of other mini games that are just annoying to do. If they were deeper I’d like them cus I usually love mini games - but this it doesn’t work and making them mandatory to get through the story is weird

Arsic

Peter has retired multiple times in the comic. Spider-Man 3 won't just be Miles. It'll be Peter and Miles.

Doc Ock's dialog hints at it being inspired by this:

I don’t think Doc saying final chapter is referencing this comic story at all. He means it as “one more game left.”

The game mentioned it could be years before Carnage resurfaces. So it’ll be years of Miles and Silk doing work, then the G serum plus Carnage come to make Peter come out of retirement for one last hurrah. Likely ending in his death perhaps. He is 25 now, so maybe we will see a 28-30 some year old Peter at that point. Maybe he has a kid with MJ during this.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I don’t think Doc saying final chapter is referencing this comic story at all. He means it as “one more game left.”

The game mentioned it could be years before Carnage resurfaces. So it’ll be years of Miles and Silk doing work, then the G serum plus Carnage come to make Peter come out of retirement for one last hurrah. Likely ending in his death perhaps. He is 25 now, so maybe we will see a 28-30 some year old Peter at that point. Maybe he has a kid with MJ during this.

Insomniac likes to name drop the comic storylines they're adapting in dialog. It happens with Kraven in this game.

Arsic

I was worried there was a trophy tied to them. Checked and there wasn't so I skipped all of them.
I didn’t even care if there is a trophy. Ran out of that scene faster than Peter when his rent is due from a landlord.

MirageMew2

The Coney island section of the game is quite terrible lol and the game even asks you if you really don't want to play more mini games and move on instead. Yes I'm sure, I bought spiderman not mario party.

And here I am disappointed you can’t replay them in costume.

Topher

Gold Member
The Coney island section of the game is quite terrible lol and the game even asks you if you really don't want to play more mini games and move on instead. Yes I'm sure, I bought spiderman not mario party.

I actually had to go check and make sure there wasn't some "Do all the shit at Coney Island" trophy nonsense before I left. Thankfully there wasn't and I headed right for the exit.

First two games didn't have any of this nonsense, did it?

Sleepwalker

I actually had to go check and make sure there wasn't some "Do all the shit at Coney Island" trophy nonsense before I left. Thankfully there wasn't and I headed right for the exit.

First two games didn't have any of this nonsense, did it?

I think not to this extent, it had a loooot of repetitive side stuff to do but I don't remember many forced mini game stuff. Miles also didn't have much stuff because I remember doing it all.

SCB3

So playing on the Hardest difficulty and I am not looking forward to fighting

Symbiote Peter

On Ultimate once I've unlocked it, good fight but brutally hard

Top Bottom