• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

The amount of bitching about a 10-15 minute section you can skip is ridiculous. This isn't some multi-hour walk-n-talk a thon like some are suggesting.

The pacing in this game is basically perfect, mostly non-stop action with some mild light hearted sections like that in between.

This easily elevates Insomniac to their best dev status, or close. The storytelling/gameplay is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot believe how smooth the gameplay animation and effects are. It's really sensational stuff

Last edited:

SCB3

The amount of bitching about a 10-15 minute section you can skip is ridiculous. This isn't some multi-hour walk-n-talk a thon like some are suggesting.

The pacing in this game is basically perfect, mostly non-stop action with some mild light hearted sections like that in between.

This easily elevates Insomniac to their best dev status, or close. The storytelling/gameplay is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot believe how smooth the gameplay animation and effects are. It's really sensational stuff
Yea its the same with Naughty Dog and the walking bits in Uncharted, action after action after action gets boring, you need those downtimes to world build and give me a chance to unwind and care about these characters more

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Only played spidermans part one buuuuut it was really fun to swinging 8.5/10

is this woke does it have so many bugs or are people lying tired of people tricking me should I buy this my friends??

What is the true Neogaf ratings?

Topher

Gold Member
Yea its the same with Naughty Dog and the walking bits in Uncharted, action after action after action gets boring, you need those downtimes to world build and give me a chance to unwind and care about these characters more

Eh....this ain't like those. Those are bits that take a few seconds. This is an entire section dedicated to a whole bunch of nonsense. LIterally a "mission" of walking around doing fair stuff. I just don't get it. I don't think anyone is saying this ruins the game. It is just annoying.

decisions

Eh....this ain't like those. Those are bits that take a few seconds. This is an entire section dedicated to a whole bunch of nonsense. LIterally a "mission" of walking around doing fair stuff. I just don't get it. I don't think anyone is saying this ruins the game. It is just annoying.

Your story has to reach a very high level of quality to get people to feel OK with this kind of downtime.

Every time I replay MGS, I always watch the briefing, because I love to listen to the story and dialogue of that game. Here, the story is at times interesting but never at the level of quality where I really want to escape the normal gameplay loop for “immersion”.

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of discourse on the wokeness and politics in this game being increased from the first so I’ll weigh in. I did my homework

First game had a slightly different writing staff. Comprised of all men and 2 of which write for actual Spider-Man comic books and graphic novels

This game shook up the writing team and there are I believe 2 women on the crew now, who of course are woke, and the comic writers from the first game are gone.

Take that as you will. The quality of it is subjective of course but the increased politics and eye rolling post Anita video game tropes are very likely a causality of this fact.
Fun fact, one of the female writers, Brittany Morris, did the writing for Subnautica Below Zero, which has dialogue and story that is reviled by Subnautica players. She is working on Wolverine as well, which is very bad news.

The story is so much worse in this game than Spider Man 1 on PS4, and the biggest issue is with Miles Morales. The game clearly has a focus on Harry and Peter, and Miles’ existence feels so pointless and detrimental to what is supposed to be a personal story for Peter Parker.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
auuv73y.jpg

SyUuXgG.jpg

What are you taking about?

There’s literally multi hour walk and talk sections in ND and SSM games

The section in Spider-Man is like 15 minutes tops and you can skip most of it. The mission ends with a pretty epic set piece encounter too

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What are you taking about?

There’s literally multi hour walk and talk sections in ND and SSM games

The section in Spider-Man is like 15 minutes tops and you can skip most of it. The mission ends with a pretty epic set piece encounter too

We ain't talking about the same thing at all. This isn't conversations interspersed during gameplay. That happens during this game as well. This is more like the flashback visit to the zoo in TLOU 2. It isn't that big a deal but I thought it was needless. They could have jumped right to the epic set encounter right out of cutscene. But yes, thankfully they allowed you to skip out of it but you still had to find out how to get to the end. At first I thought I was going to be forced to complete the fair checklist.

You didn't mind it.....that's fine too.

Last edited:
We ain't talking about the same thing at all. This isn't conversations interspersed during gameplay. That happens during this game as well. This is more like the flashback visit to the zoo in TLOU 2. It isn't that big a deal but I thought it was needless. They could have jumped right to the epic set encounter right out of cutscene. But yes, thankfully they allowed you to skip out of it but you still had to find out how to get to the end. At first I thought I was going to be forced to complete the fair checklist.

You didn't mind it.....that's fine too.

That's exactly what I am comparing it to. Museum in UC4, Museum in TLOU2, Agroboda sections in SSM

This is a wet fart in comparison. Yet people feel the need to complain that the game isn't action heavy every single moment. It's a weak complaint for a game that's otherwise mostly non-stop adrenaline.

Last edited:

Certinty

So playing on the Hardest difficulty and I am not looking forward to fighting

Symbiote Peter

On Ultimate once I've unlocked it, good fight but brutally hard
Really? I thought that was the easiest boss fight in the game, it might be the only one besides Sandman I didn’t die a single time on. I was surprised at how underpowered they made him in that fight.

Topher

Gold Member
That's exactly what I am comparing it to. Museum in UC4, Museum in TLOU2, Agroboda sections in SSM

This is a wet fart in comparison. Yet people feel the need to complain that the game isn't action heavy every single moment. It's a weak complaint for a game that's otherwise mostly non-stop adrenaline.

Folks are discussing their likes and dislikes while they are playing the game. That's what this thread is for. Not worth getting worked up over.

Moving on....

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
the AI is near redfalls level of braindead.

Also. When the fuck will the industry move past “throw Rocco, cause distraction, move forward” as stealth?

Holy fuck. This is literally a 2005 design that no one seems to want to move on from.

Like how is every dev just ok with repeating that same trope? Fuck.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

This thing is putting my PS5 through the ringer, another your PS5 is too hot message. It handled FFXVI like a champ but is crumbling vs Spiderman 2 lol, I'll take it apart tomorrow and give it a good ole clean.

DrFigs

This thing is putting my PS5 through the ringer, another your PS5 is too hot message. It handled FFXVI like a champ but is crumbling vs Spiderman 2 lol, I'll take it apart tomorrow and give it a good ole clean.
i would check the warranty on that ps5. this is not a common error.

Pilgrimzero

If I have the venom suit and swap costumes, I’m assuming the tentacles etc just come out of that suit?

And is it pointless to put points into the venom suit upgrade tree if I’m just going to lose the suit at some point?

RPS37

Update: I made it past the part early on that I was stuck on, thinking I had to master parry to survive. Can’t stop thinking about this game. Need to get the venom suit.
looks amaze balls on the C2.

bender

What time is it?
Rolled credits and did everything along the way My feelings are a tad mixed.

-The wing suits are neat and implemented well, but they also negate most of the need for web swinging. I don't have a problem with this but I'd understand if others do.
-Way less instances of multiple waves on enemies though that gets replaced towards the end with endless amounts of enemies on a timer.
-Better variety in random crimes, activities, and missions with a lot of the missions having neat vignettes.
-The mini-games are all still range from ho-hum to terrible. The bike riding stuff was terrible, can't believe they went back to that well more than once.
-The MJ sections are improved but still not enjoyable.
-The story has a lot of weak points.
Peter's personality change happens far too abruptly and probably not early enough in the story. Peter and Miles letting Kraven go after that boss for because his freedom is needed later to further the plot was weak. They also beat you over the head with the theme of redemption.
-Combat encounters still last too long and most enemies seem like they take one too many combination of flurries.
-I love when Miles and Peter team up. Some really great animation work when they combine on finishers.
-The ending act drags on a bit too long. It's probably hard to stick the landing when the opening hours were so strong.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I will buy thirs if you give detail impressions
The games visuals are top notch. I’m playing in Fidelity mode and it looks outstanding.

The combat is pretty much exactly the same as the last two games. Take that as a good thing or bad thing. I’m ok with it. Just seems like on the default difficulty that the enemies are super dumb. I still think the Arkham games combat is much better.

With there being two Spider-Men, the amount of chatter is super high. It seems like someone is always saying something, whether it’s them or one of the spider-men’s companions.

I’m still super early, so I can’t say it’s worth a purchase or not. It’s at least worth a rental.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Some users were right here btw pointing out that graphics can be really uneven, it can look one of the ugliest AAA games on the market one moment and one of the best another one. I guess it comes with the scope and larger world, can’t really have everything can you?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Some users were right here btw pointing out that graphics can be really uneven, it can look one of the ugliest AAA games on the market one moment and one of the best another one. I guess it comes with the scope and larger world, can’t really have everything can you?

Their last two Spider-Man games were very consistent graphically.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I hope it’s not as short as some here make it seem. I’d have rather put that money towards Baldurs Gate 3 if the the game is short.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Their last two Spider-Man games were very consistent graphically.

Yes, they probably rushed this out a bit. Also the general art style keeps not doing it any favour. Chasing the MCU visual style is killing the charm of the original source and I don’t understand the appeal… why they don’t do their own vision of it instead of chasing that bland cinematic universe aesthetics?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes, they probably rushed this out a bit. Also the general art style keeps not doing it any favour. Chasing the MCU visual style is killing the charm of the original source and I don’t understand the appeal… why they don’t do their own vision of it instead of chasing that bland cinematic universe aesthetics?
Maybe because they need the game to be approved by the higher ups at Marvel/Disney.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really didn't expect to see so many people complete this game in a weekend. I know ratchet was short but spider man was a decent length and I expected this to be more of the same with much better side content.

Some people are completing in like 10 to 12 hours?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I will also add that this game does seem buggier than the last two games. I’ve had a few instances in just the hour or so I’ve played where things went wonky. I made a clip of one of the instances:

I couldn’t move my character once he landed and had to restart the game.

Last edited:

hinch7

About 60% way through main campaign and this game is huge! Can't believe Insomniac released this so fast after Miles Morales. Guess they live up to their names. Loving it though, the main story is great as are the fights. Read the canon comics and it does follow it but also does own thing which is cool.

Only peeve so far is the awful side missions. Most of them are straight up bad time sinks fetch quests or walking/clicking sims. Then theres constant messaging. I'm not even one that strays either way but damn politics and inclusion in my face all day lol. Wish devs stop doing that its so distracting and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Im not seeing anything uneven about it

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I keep asking myself the same question.

Sequel with art style of Into The Spider-Verse animated movie where you can instantly travel between modern day New York, futuristic, cyberpunk-like version and 1920s art deco style sounds more interesting to me than what we got. What we got is the same rollercoaster ride for the 3rd time. Yes, it was great the first time but now it’s just not the same.

I keep asking myself the same question.

Sequel with art style of Into The Spider-Verse animated movie where you can instantly travel between modern day New York, futuristic, cyberpunk-like version and 1920s art deco style sounds more interesting to me than what we got. What we got is the same rollercoaster ride for the 3rd time. Yes, it was great the first time but now it’s just not the same.

That’s not what anyone wants out of a SM game lmao

I just took this screenshot.

A random rooftop that looks just fine?

Top Bottom