• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

bender

What time is it?
Only peeve so far is the awful side missions.

While they've toned down the repetition of the original, Insomniac still haven't figure out that less is more. I like the side missions that had you following in the slip stream of those mechanical birds, but I didn't need to do that 6-8 times. The photography missions could have been great but they don't give you a lot of camera options and you only get one shot which also kind of stinks. Something more in depth could have been fun. Or they could have gone way outside the box and added in an online component to the photography that let you submit your photos to get get graded/published or let players take photos and then do a scavenger hunt or GeoGuesser activity.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Im not seeing anything uneven about it

These 2 were taken by me a couple of seconds apart. Game can go from looking stunning to meh rather quickly.

F8_fqpqWkAAK_P_

F8_gzL0XwAAn7Sb

hinch7

While they've toned down the repetition of the original, Insomniac still haven't figure out that less is more. I like the side missions that had you following in the slip stream of those mechanical birds, but I didn't need to do that 6-8 times. The photography missions could have been great but they don't give you a lot of camera options and you only get one shot which also kind of stinks. Something more in depth could have been fun. Or they could have gone way outside the box and added in an online component to the photography that let you submit your photos to get get graded/published or let players take photos and then do a scavenger hunt or GeoGuesser activity.
Feels like they haven't really evolved that formula since the Infamous days. Lots of activities but after doing the same activity the umpteenth time does rear its ugly head. But for completionists or those who want to get the most of the game (with the higher tier powers) its more mandatory that you have to go out your way to do a lot of them. Which slows the game/pacing way too much. Would rather have half the amount of smaller collectables and side missions, but good quality ones. The blue missions are awful and I hated doing them, feels like a complete waste of my time doing those.

Those in the game just feel like filler and time sinks just because, padding.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Feels like they haven't really evolved that formula since the Infamous days. Lots of activities but after doing the same activity the umpteenth time does rear its ugly head. But for completionists or those who want to get the most of the game (with the higher tier powers) its more mandatory that you have to go out your way to do a lot of them. Which slows the game/pacing way too much. Would rather have half the amount of smaller collectables and side missions, but good quality ones. The blue missions are awful and I hated doing them, feels like a complete waste of my time doing those.

Those in the game just feel like filler and time sinks just because, padding.

May favorite thing was clearing out five or six instances of the last side activity that unlocks in the game and then starting a story mission that had you doing the exact same thing.

Kindela

Banned
Anyone knows what happened to the upgraded point launch? The one that'd boost you quite a bit when you'd hit it at the right time. I don't see it under the ability trees.

Last edited:

SCB3

Man the second half of the game is giving me some real Web of Shadows vibes, which is fantastic

shaddam

Finished it in the morning. If marvel spiderman movies were like this I would watch them in cinema. The last third is almost Giger level stuff. I was suprised by that when one of the hunters and MJ
were speaking Hungarian with horrible accent

Last edited:
I can't stop thinking about the game and want to finish my work as fast as possible today to go back to the game.
Congrats Insomniac! You did it again.

Honestly i wonder how we would react to this game if we were like 10 year olds watching a Spider-Man 2 running on a PS5.

Zimmy68

Was able to play it all weekend. I'm up to the point where Peter gets the "black" suit.

Just an amazing AAA experience all around. If a game is worth $80 (I got the Digital Deluxe)...

I would say the Deluxe version is not needed. The early skill points are nice but the extra suits are complete ass. I don't think they could have picked uglier ones.
It is the only way to get the bonus suits so I didn't want to pass up.

For the life of me, I can't pull off the loop de loop skill. I may have a 10% success rate. It says hold R2 when diving, when I hold R2, they just start swinging again.

I know my Spider-Man lure and have seen the marketing materials so I expect the "suit" to leave Peter at some point, my question is...
If I put skill points in symbiote powers, do you lose those skills later?

Hugare

I really dont want to sound overly negative, but the more I play, the more it boggles my mind to see people saying that this is the best superhero game ever made

I just did a pretty great mission to rescue a villain, with great gameplay and set pieces.

Immediately after this great mission, I was tasked with helping a woman to unlock the door to a museum (main quest mission, btw).

I had to invade the museum using a spiderbot, with very simple gameplay mechanics. There I discovered some bandits robbing the place (of course), that I had to chase with Miles after they ran away.

I recover half of the stuff (so the game is saving more of this amazing storyline for later), and the mission ends.

Maybe it will pay off in the story later, but right now, this shit feels like sidequest. A very, very boring sidequest in terms of gameplay, that presents zero motivation for the player in terms of story.

Again, I played Spider-man 2018 and Miles Morales and I dont remember shit like this on the main mission. The most boring one was that one to recover some lost drive in a dumpster truck, but even that made more sense for the story (and had some funny bits)

The game has been enjoyable just enough for me to keep playing (want to see how the story plays out). But man, have you guys played Arkham City? I know its been quite a while, but calling it the best superhero game ...

To me, so far, its been even worse than 2018/MM in many ways.

Traversal is godly, tho. The best traversal system in an open world to date, probably

Kindela

Banned
Was able to play it all weekend. I'm up to the point where Peter gets the "black" suit.

Just an amazing AAA experience all around. If a game is worth $80 (I got the Digital Deluxe)...

I would say the Deluxe version is not needed. The early skill points are nice but the extra suits are complete ass. I don't think they could have picked uglier ones.
It is the only way to get the bonus suits so I didn't want to pass up.

For the life of me, I can't pull off the loop de loop skill. I may have a 10% success rate. It says hold R2 when diving, when I hold R2, they just start swinging again.

I know my Spider-Man lure and have seen the marketing materials so I expect the "suit" to leave Peter at some point, my question is...
If I put skill points in symbiote powers, do you lose those skills later?
Make sure you're pressing L3 when diving, it doesn't work if you're "diving" by simply pointing the stick down.

Neolombax

Gold Member
Pretty sure i'm almost at the very end. I can decisively say this is a much better game than spiderman 2018 and miles morales. Personally I felt the story got much much better towards the end and I'm extremely invested now. Some side missions end awkwardly only to hint at DLC or a sequel. What a ride thus far.

Now I really want to replay Web of Shadows. Black suit spidey to only have just 4 symbiote powers feels very limiting.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The final 1/3 is well done and where I feel like the game truly picks up and becomes the sequel we've been waiting for.

Also :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: at the new MJ stealth sections
Thanks Insomniac for making her a super capable waman that does badass takedowns on Kraven's guys
Much prefer the original games setup. This shit is just ridiculous lol

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So I've heard something, ending spoilers ahead
Peter Retires at the end of this
If true WTF Insomniac

LOL. I believe it 1000x. It's the cherry on top for the whole fart sniffing experience.

Should wrap it up tonight, plat and all. Will most likely be my least fav Sony exclusive since Ragnarok. They're on a roll. Two in a row!

Astray

Played about 7 hours so far, and I like most of what I've played so far.

A particular highlight is Howard's mission, it took something I really disliked in SM1 and turned it into genuine feels. The side missions overall are well-implemented, even if they aren't perfect.

The Flame sidequest is also great so far.

Will probably come back once I've finished most of the meaningful content.

saintjules

Played about 7 hours so far, and I like most of what I've played so far.

A particular highlight is Howard's mission, it took something I really disliked in SM1 and turned it into genuine feels. The side missions overall are well-implemented, even if they aren't perfect.

The Flame sidequest is also great so far.

Yeah, the flame sidequests so far remind me of the Black Cat DLCs from the first game. Nice to see these quests a bit more involved.

Filldo

I really dont want to sound overly negative, but the more I play, the more it boggles my mind to see people saying that this is the best superhero game ever made

I just did a pretty great mission to rescue a villain, with great gameplay and set pieces.

Immediately after this great mission, I was tasked with helping a woman to unlock the door to a museum (main quest mission, btw).

I had to invade the museum using a spiderbot, with very simple gameplay mechanics. There I discovered some bandits robbing the place (of course), that I had to chase with Miles after they ran away.

I recover half of the stuff (so the game is saving more of this amazing storyline for later), and the mission ends.

Maybe it will pay off in the story later, but right now, this shit feels like sidequest. A very, very boring sidequest in terms of gameplay, that presents zero motivation for the player in terms of story.

Again, I played Spider-man 2018 and Miles Morales and I dont remember shit like this on the main mission. The most boring one was that one to recover some lost drive in a dumpster truck, but even that made more sense for the story (and had some funny bits)

The game has been enjoyable just enough for me to keep playing (want to see how the story plays out). But man, have you guys played Arkham City? I know its been quite a while, but calling it the best superhero game ...

To me, so far, its been even worse than 2018/MM in many ways.

Traversal is godly, tho. The best traversal system in an open world to date, probably
I mean in defense of those saying it’s the best super hero game, they are farther along than you. You haven’t even gotten the black suit so you have a whole skill tree you haven’t even tried with all new powers and missions that show them off. I just finished a mission that might be one of my top missions ever.

LukeAJN

Anyone knows what happened to the upgraded point launch? The one that'd boost you quite a bit when you'd hit it at the right time. I don't see it under the ability trees.
Its not in that ability skill tree its in the traversal section of the other one, forget what it's called but it has a tree for health, damage, focus and traversal

Vick

This is no different than 2018 or MM. you can do this with literally any game by staring at some insignificant geometry
This is not true at all.

Spider-Man on PS4 Pro was probably the most consistent looking game I've ever played in my entire life, it's the main reason it managed to impress me so much at the time. Assets, textures, all of it was top notch everywhere, every inch of it.

The Remaster, Miles Morales, you have a point, but not the original release. Nothing in that game looks as bad as that screenshot, no matter what obscure angle of the city, hidden roof, underground random maintenance room you're looking at.

Last edited:
This is not true at all.

Spider-Man on PS4 Pro was probably the most consistent looking game I've ever played in my entire life, it's the main reason it managed to impress me so much at the time. Assets, textures, all of it was top notch everywhere, every inch of it.

The Remaster, Miles Moral, you have a point, but not the original release.

Please tell me how Miles or SM2 are more inconsistent than SM2018 despite looking significantly better?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

That is a side mission.

Last edited:

Hugare

That is a side mission.

No, thats is not the one I was talking about

This is

And its a main mission

Topher

Gold Member
No, thats is not the one I was talking about

This is

And its a main mission

Ok.....so they kicked off a side quest from a main mission. A bit strange, yeah, considering it really had no bearing on the main story.

Vick

Please tell me how Miles or SM2 are more inconsistent than SM2018 despite looking significantly better?
No offense buddy but I assume by this question you don't know what "consistency" means?

That game looked consistently good at all times, everywhere and all the time. Textures all had the same (high) resolution no matter where they were and same goes for assets, characters, lighting, level of detail.. all of it. And I know because I'm the biggest scrutinizer of that sort of stuff there is.

In their recent games, you'd find better looking things right next to worse looking ones. The definition of inconsistency.

Plus I don't even think they look "significantly" better in the first place, but that's just me:

mADPNAU.png

AYjrzzW.png

orAf8wC.png

62FACwL.png

cZQNwkR.png

WUgf5Qp.png

PgdIo5B.png

J8OImO0.png

F02yNEX.png

az2yFA6.png
ggu9rqF.png

Five years ago on a previous gen. But sure, we now have RT and 60fps and that's awesome.

Top Bottom