• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maryland's incentive package for Amazon measured in the billions of dollars

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
LOL that's cute, Bodymore Murdaland, but Amazon doesn't wanna go to Hamsterdam.

They're coming to the mothafuckin D!!!! (Detroit)

Ecotic

When your incentive package value approaches the economic value they bring to the state, what's the point?

They're probably hoping Amazon's vote of confidence would lead to decades of renewal and other companies will move in. In a sense, Maryland is happy to pay for Amazon's ticket if they're bringing friends along.

kirblar

They're probably hoping Amazon's vote of confidence would lead to decades of renewal and other companies will move in. In a sense, Maryland is happy to pay for Amazon's ticket if they're bringing friends along.
50,000 jobs at a company like Amazon brings a lot of friends along.

see5harp

If by "revitalize" you mean "gentrify into oblivion," then sure.

Expect whichever downtown gets it to become a sterile, soulless, yuppie wasteland where it is impossible for any working or middle class people to live.

Source: I'm from Seattle and work here currently. You guys have no idea what you're getting yourselves into. Be REALLY careful what you wish for.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people are secretly okay with that happening.

How much of these tax breaks are going to passed on to Maryland resident? I live in PA now temporarily, but will be moving to my new home in MD relatively soon. State income taxes in PA are half of they are in MD. It's kind of crazy. Taxes are the big things I hate about living in MD but hey at least we have a lot of services and are a blue state/progressive. Also isn't Hogan a fiscal conservative?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
how do you manage to do this thing where you are simultaneously extremely disingenuous but also like intensely oblivious

Then why the fuck did you bring it up at all?

I mean, how else should anyone have taken that comment?

kirblar

His point is that the immigrants would have to move out to accommodate the gentrifying white libertarian STEM employees moving in.
Only if you don't adequately develop housing in the area, which is a big reason they're ditching Seattle in the first place.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Then why the fuck did you bring it up at all?

I mean, how else should anyone have taken that comment?

There is a difference between actual immigrants from other countries and recent CS grads from two states over, as you and kirblar know perfectly well.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't understand what makes anyone look at the current big tech company towns and think "yeah I want that to happen to my city too"
No kidding. You want a giant, soulless corporation to swoop in, swell the city core with a disproportionately white and extremely wealthy group of people, and effectively destroy any semblance of unique lifestyles or cultures that once existed there?

Trust me on this, what Amazon has done to Seattle has been disastrous to just about every cool thing in the city. South Lake Union has turned into a gigantic, sterile, corporate hellscape bereft of any life after about 6PM. The only people benefiting from this are people who already own homes - people who are typically old, white, and wealthy. It is destroying the demographic diversity of our city.

The modern architecture drains any sense of style and culture out of the area, drives long-time mom and pop businesses like family restaurants and quirky boutique shops out of the area, and effectively makes it completely uninhabitable for people not working at Amazon.

Well as long as it has a view of Historic Kenny's House, I'm down.
:lol

It's shocking how accurate that season has been, and how true it rings in Seattle today.

Well Seattle had Microsoft for ages. Technically Redmond, I know. Baltimore has nothing. Let Baltimore get some shine, man lol.
Redmond was once far removed from Seattle's local housing economy. The geography of the region separats the Eastside (Remond/Kirkland/Bellevue - the former tech core) from Seattle city proper. It remained affordable for most people until Amazon really started exploding in size.

I'm a Seattle native and the only people I know that complain are people who moved to Seattle around 2007 / 2008. My friends and I who grew up in the area are glad to see Seattle going from a sleepy town feel to a world class city.
I have been here since the early 00's (born in Redmond, spent some of my childhood in Alaska, and then moved back) and what has happened to the city is, frankly, a disaster.

A sleepy town full of quirky people and neat stuff has been completely sterilized by Amazon's stratospheric rise to power.

It's incredibly sad to witness. Most people who work for me commute from Tacoma or Everett - brutal either way. Most people who work in the city make less than those who work for me. I can't even afford to live in the city proper, and I'm in management.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people are secretly okay with that happening.
I'm sure they are! They're exactly the kind of people who are compounding the problem because of their relentless NIMBYism... Old, wealthy (usually home or land owning) white folk who are extremely happy to have an almost exclusively white, wealthy group of young working professionals come in and sweep out all of the riffraff, and balloon their housing values to mind boggling sums.

It's sickening.

Top Bottom