• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, they talk about using already-filmed footage. I can't 100% recall, but didn't Orwell's novel talk about constant repetition of shite on TV. DEPRESSING.
Already filmed...as in...shot prior to the epidemic in the UK...not already shown.
Anyway, who gives a shit about EastEnders? Or TV for that matter. It's 2020 for fucks sake.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I seriously want to walk to Dunkin Donuts and getting this over with, catch it now and hope for the best
can't do 18 months of isolation

I really don't expect it to be that long. I think we are taking steps in the right direction. It will definitely get a lot worse over the next few weeks. But I really don't see if going that far.

how does Germany keep the deaths so low she needs to share

---

meanwhile:
I could have been playing Animal Crossing at 9AM tomorrow :(

I forgot I could have gotten an Austrailian eShop account and downloaded a digital copy early :messenger_loudly_crying:
too late now no monies already got US

going to Dunkin Donuts must catch this virus

cryptoadam

Banned
Between incubation and active disease this thing can last almost up to a month in your body. It means real change will take a month to be seen, 2 months to be safe.

Took China 3 weeks to see a drop in numbers after Hubei lockdown (drop not stop). And thats if we believe China's numbers.

But lets say Italy has 3000-5000 cases a day for the next 10 days and 300-500 deaths. At some point I think people are going to say the government measures aren't working.

Whats next, they accept more closures/quarantines, or they revolt? You have 100's of thousands of healthy people with their lives on hold, most in >50. Are they gonna keep following these rules forever? At some point people are gonna say this government plan isn't stopping anything fuck it.

(of course thats if numbers don't turn around. If they do like in China than you can control the population).

I just think at some point people are going to see this as a failure of the government and will be fed up living in fear for their lives. And then the next step is government force to subdue the population.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
(of course thats if numbers don't turn around. If they do like in China than you can control the population).

The lockdown worked in China.

What proof do you have it's not working in Italy? We all knew this was going to get worse before it gets better.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

What proof do you have it's not working in Italy? We all knew this was going to get worse before it gets better.

For now none, and yes it will get worse before better, the question is when is the "better" and how long do people have faith that there will be a "better" before getting fed up. We have people who protest over bus fare increases, or tax on fuel. Staying locked in your home by government order while 100's are still dying, at some point people will say fuck it.

I don't think that point is today or tomorrow, but if Italy doesn't turn this around in a months time and they still have 100's dying are people really going to continue locking themselves in when locking yourself in hasn't changed the situation? Even if all experts say its the only way to stop it people think short term. No results, welp its failing so I should stop listening.

And maybe not Italy, maybe france (remember the yellow vest protest) or UK, or Germany, or Spain.

If Quarantines don't work fast enough will some countries people just lose complete faith in the powers that be and risk the 5-10% chance of dying (way lower if you are under 50 practically 0).

Scientists say they've developed a coronavirus test that can give results in 30 minutes
From CNN’s Augusta Anthony in London

Scientists at the University of Oxford have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, according to a press release from the university on Wednesday.

The new test takes just half an hour, over three times faster than the current method, the university said. Previous tests took up to two hours to give a result, according to the press release. The test was validated with real clinical samples at Shenzhen Luohou People’s Hospital in China, the university said.

The research was initiated by the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research in China and experiments carried out in the Department of Engineering Science at the University of Oxford.

The scientists are working to develop an integrated device that can test at clinics, airports and at home. They plan to run validations in the United Kingdom and explore how to produce test kits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm still perplexed how it's working in China. I mean, I get that the official numbers are way lower, but they are basically letting people move around freely now, with no more quarantine even in Wuhan?

Why would the spread not just start right up again?

oatmeal

Banned
cientists say they've developed a coronavirus test that can give results in 30 minutes
From CNN’s Augusta Anthony in London

Scientists at the University of Oxford have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, according to a press release from the university on Wednesday.

The new test takes just half an hour, over three times faster than the current method, the university said. Previous tests took up to two hours to give a result, according to the press release. The test was validated with real clinical samples at Shenzhen Luohou People’s Hospital in China, the university said.

The research was initiated by the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research in China and experiments carried out in the Department of Engineering Science at the University of Oxford.

The scientists are working to develop an integrated device that can test at clinics, airports and at home. They plan to run validations in the United Kingdom and explore how to produce test kits.

When prompted, the world can achieve amazing things.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
risk the 5-10% chance of dying (way lower if you are under 50 practically 0).

italy-population-pyramid-2018.jpg

Last edited:

gamerMan

3WDJA5g.jpg

Damn I just realized that flatten the curve does nothing to stop the virus. It only slows it down and makes it more manageable for hospitals. The minute we relax social distancing, this thing will fucking come back with vengeance.

Now that China is starting their economy back up, this shit is going to come back until herd immunity is reached. So we are looking at shutting the world economy down or 18 months until we get a vaccine. What will that do to us?

Kadayi

Banned
Well, the first day of remote working was fun. Things I learnt so far:

1. Seemingly no one in the company except me pays attention to the Outlook Calendar to see who's in or not

2. No one actually bothers to read their emails or their DMs

Listed as on personal from 3 in the afternoon, that's when everyone starts emailing me....

66-661421_jackie-chan-wtf-meme-jackie-chan.png

It's going to be a long few months...

Last edited:

MastAndo

Holy damn, Italy reported another 4,000 more cases. What is going on there? Are people not staying inside??
Symptoms take some time to appear after infection (can be 2 weeks), and the lockdown happened 9 days ago, so these are probably people who caught it before the quarantine went into effect...plus, I'm sure plenty of folks just aren't listening to orders.

Basically, it sounds like there will be up to a 2-week period where any locked down area seemingly gets worse before it gets better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3WDJA5g.jpg

Damn I just realized that flatten the curve does nothing to stop the virus. It only slows it down and makes it more manageable for hospitals. The minute we relax social distancing, this thing will fucking come back with vengeance.

Now that China is starting their economy back up, this shit is going to come back until herd immunity is reached. So we are looking at shutting the world economy down or 18 months until we get a vaccine. What will that do to us?

This is what I've been trying to figure out for over a week now in response to claims that China "won" or successfully contained it somehow.

cryptoadam

Banned
Holy damn, Italy reported another 4,000 more cases. What is going on there? Are people not staying inside??

Lag on lockdown, also case numbers are bullshit.

All case numbers depends on how many you test. You test more you probably get more cases, you test less you get less cases. And keep in mind this isn't 4000 people who got it yesterday, these 4000 could of gotten it anytime in the last 2 weeks and only got tested and the results came back TODAY. I mean we don't even know how many of these tests were done in the same day. How long is Italy's testing process? Some places take days, some hours, some minutes.

I kinda wished maybe we stopped showing case numbers. The number is meaningless due to all the diferences in testing and test subjects. Some country having 100 cases doesn't say anything if they tested 200 people, while another country tested 50 000.

Just tell us deaths and how many in hospitals. Someone on the case list today who got it 8 days ago really doesn't tell us anything except when you got results back. All of Italy's cases today didn't get infected yestrday, it could of been Monday or Saturday or 2 weeks ago for all we know.

cryptoadam

Banned

Dont get this graph?

What are you trying to tell me?

Italy has millions of people under 60. If government keeps failing people will get fed up. Young people today are stupid (sorry if you are young). They do stupid shit on twitter like lick outlets for views. Eventually these stupid people are going to say fuck you we are going out and partying and if we die we don't care.

Welp not really a prediction, I am just wondering what country will have its first anti-quarantine revolt if no one turns things around. When you have riots breaking out over bus fares and tax on fuel I don't see why people won't revolt over a failed quarantine startgey. IF IT FAILS OF COURSE.

One prediction, Italy will eventually shut down information about the virus if they don't get things turned around within the next 2 weeks. If they don't show a China style "decline" then thats what I expect because they won't be able to keep the population docile.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else feel like we're 2/3rds the way through the opening to a disaster/horror movie?

You could take snapshots of the news over the past 3 months and put some ominous music over it.

Probably more like 1/3. I don't believe we've seen any rioting or outbreaks of violence as a result of economic hardships brought on by forced quarantines.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

That's the gameplan. This thing will run through the world's population, one way or another. The problem has always been that it collapses healthcare and then people start dying from lack of available medical staff and facilities, not just from covid but from anything else.

I'm still perplexed how it's working in China. I mean, I get that the official numbers are way lower, but they are basically letting people move around freely now, with no more quarantine even in Wuhan?

Why would the spread not just start right up again?

Beats me. Honest to god I don't know. In any case the numbers might be fudged but their hospitals are no longer overflowing....

AsylumKeeper

Neo Member
Does anyone else feel like we're 2/3rds the way through the opening to a disaster/horror movie?

You could take snapshots of the news over the past 3 months and put some ominous music over it.

Well I am really concerned about the US, I believe they are really poor equipped to handle this situation., moreso than any other country in Europe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Beats me. Honest to god I don't know. In any case the numbers might be fudged but their hospitals are no longer overflowing....

Yeah, but they didn't start overflowing until like a month after the first people caught the disease.

If they got it down to single digits of daily new cases in Wuhan, but they just let people go back to work and mingle again, I don't understand how this doesn't just start back up again and they're in trouble again a month or so down the road.

Well I am really concerned about the US, I believe they are really poor equipped to hande this situation., moreso than any other country in Europe.

What makes you think that?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

AsylumKeeper

Neo Member
Agree but more for the obesity , diabetis, and population health in general. US will be our Italy regarding America.

Yes, that and the fear of expensive hospital bills.

Don't get me wrong, I wish all well and I hope that I'm wrong. But I believe the US will be hit way harder than europe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom