• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

A couple of days before Comic-Con last month, The Batman director Matt Reeves was on “The Business” podcast hosted by The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters. Reeves spoke about his position on making the movie, and had an interesting comment about how it was pitched to him by Warner Bros.

“When they approached me, what they said was: ‘look, it’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the extended universe,” Reeves said. He also confirmed that he has an idea for a trilogy in his head. Reeves said he’s “totally fine” not making a Batman movie if Warner Bros. doesn’t want to make the movie that he wants to make. So far, though, he said he and WB have been on the same page. You can listen to The Batman talk around the 23:39 mark below.

Reeves comments about The Batman not being part of an extended universe are interesting. Yesterday, we learned that Warner Bros. will be launching a new brand of DC Comics movies that will be separate from their current DC Extended Universe. Right now they’re working on a Joker movie that won’t star Jared Leto.

One last thing that I think is at least worth mentioning is this: The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters interviewed Matt Reeves for this podcast on July 17th. On July 21st she published the article about Ben Affleck’s Batman future coming to end soon. Make of that what you will, but it’s certainly interesting timing.

Source: http://batman-news.com/2017/08/23/matt-reeves-batman-standalone-not-extended-universe/

I don't even know what the **** is going on anymore at Warner Bros. Let me email them an angry letter.

V8W1AIj.gif

7Th

Just kill the DCEU and make different standalone movies for every hero while giving their directors creative freedom.

Dalek

Could they just mean it's "Standalone" in as far as not having any story ties to any other films? But it still takes place in the same universe?

Just kill the DCEU and make different standalone movies for every hero while giving their directors creative freedom.

I'd be fine with this.

Or look at Fox as a model as opposed to Marvel. Canon/continuity in the Xmen movies takes a backseat to just making cool shit like Logan and audiences don't seem too bothered by it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xmen has already shown if you don't always have to be concerned with fitting perfectly into a cinematic universe.

Kusagari

They might as well just kill the DCEU at this point. If you're not going to commit to it then just axe it and make individual movies.

So was Wonder Woman largely...

Yeah... I kinda think that's what he means. Not that it literally isn't part of the DCEU, like this Joker film, but that it's self-contained. You're not gonna see other Leaguers or plot threads from JL.

Who fucking knows at this point though.

I'd be fine with this.

Or look at Fox as a model as opposed to Marvel. Canon/continuity in the Xmen movies takes a backseat to just making cool shit like Logan and audiences don't seem too bothered by it.
I'd be down with this. That way you cod still do team ups and have other people appear and be mentioned but still do your own thing.

They won't do it this way tho that would be smart.

I'm very interested in seeing who Reeves is going to cast as Batman, because I think it's pretty damn clear at this point that the chances of it being Ben Affleck are insanely low, if at all. They're just not going to announce it officially until sometime after Justice League is out.

I've been thinking it might be Toby Kebbell for awhile now, considering he's worked with Reeves before. Although I'd love to see Oscar Isaac in the role too. He'd crush it as Batman.

Well... Okay. I think we might be missing some context though.
I don't really care either way, I just want a good movie.

But at this point they should just rename their universe the DCHU.
DC Hypertime Universe. Suddenly, it all makes sense.

Sephzilla

Huh? What is WB/DC plan here?

conference_meeting.jpg

"Alright everyone, Affleck seems to be on his way out and we just had to revamp the entire ending of Justice League. How can we scrap the DCEU for now and still keep the goodwill from Wonder Woman going? Anyone?"

"What about Flashpoint?"

"Good work!"

I don't think he means it will be separate from the DCEU. WB probably told him he doesn't have to worry about setting up any other movies and can solely focus on just Batman. Sort of like Wonder Woman.

Boke1879

But then. WW wasn't really connected to anything outside of the intro and ending of the movie.

Pretty much a Batman trilogy from Reeves could largely be it's own thing.

Either way we'll see, but it seems WB is letting him completely make the movie he wants, and for what it's worth Wan seems to be doing his own thing for Aquaman.

Tace

I'm ok with this if the movie is good, but I think D.C. really needs to rethink their strategy. What's the point of an extended universe if the solo films don't actively exist in that universe?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm trying to imagine someone with so little going on in their life that they are extremely concerned about DC movie universe canon.

At first I thought this might be misinterpreted, perhaps meaning that the movie will have zero direct ties or references to the larger DCEU (while still existing within it), but then there's the stuff about non-Leto Joker and Affleck leaving and I don't know what to believe anymore. That's still most likely what it means, I think.

Whatever happens, all I care about is Wonder Woman coming out unscathed on the other side. The rest can burn. Flashpoint that shit I guess. And if I can get a Superman that doesn't look like he wants to beat me up and write in his dark thoughts diary then cool.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
He meant it's not a direct connection to what's happening in justice league. It's still in the DCEU. They wouldn't have shown the logo at comic con along with all the other DCEU movies if thet knew from the start it was in a different universe. It's a standalone story set within the DCEU. That's what he meant.

It probably means that he is not going to force the dceu in there. But who knows. I don't care. Just make the movie and cast a new actor.

Top Bottom