• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

Yeah, they're gonna have to Flashpoint the DCU at this rate

Honestly, that's my guess as to what the game plan is. We've already got a Flashpoint film announced.

If Affleck reprises his role as Batman in anything post-Justice League, it's probably going to be in Flashpoint so WB can make the transition from BatFleck to whoever Reeves wants in the role for The Batman. That'd be in line with the report from THR awhile back on how they were looking for "a way to gracefully usher Affleck out of the DCEU."

Busty

Banned
It's a 'standalone' in so much as Wonder Woman was also a standalone, it will have a separate, isolated storyline that won't feature any elements of Justice League such as Darkseid or whatever.

Warners isn't letting Reeves' turn The Batman into some R rated, $50m actioner when there are hundreds of millions of dollars to be made from merchandising etc.

giphy.gif

Pay me a tenth of what your paying your executives/screenwriters/etc, I'll FIX IT!

It's all gravy if the movies are good. But if WB let's the directors do their own thing I can see that causing problems for the tent pole, team up movies. The standalones will be better but the team ups could suffer.

Just to clarify though, this is a good thing. I'm glad Reeves isn't beholden to a grander plan- but you still need a plan if you're going to have a DCEU. I just don't trust the brass at WB to come up with a mutually beneficial one

They could make the movies so they are stand alone, but don't specifically make it impossible to be in the same universe.

Like if Keaton and Reeve teamed up in an early 90s Batman meets Superman, I'm not sure anyone would have really noticed or cared that maybe they weren't necessarily intended to be the same universe when designed.

Things start becoming a real mess with crossovers when everything is intertwined and related and suddenly one actor wants out, or one movie fails, or needs to be cancelled. Marvel has been lucky so far, creating a complicated web of inter related movies, over the course of a decade, all using the same actors is a serious challenge.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Just kill the DCEU and make different standalone movies for every hero while giving their directors creative freedom.

Yup. And you know as that happens they'll end up offhandedly referencing one another and eventually they can make an actual cinematic universe out of them that feels organic and earned.

Boke1879

Sure seems like it.

Wasn't that always the case though. WW was pretty much the start. Everything after JL is pretty much standalone. You got Wan doing his own thing. Reeves now doing his own thing. You got Batgirl, and Nightwing coming.

Flashpoint is now going to be a visual reset. This isn't shocking to me. But still The Batman can still be part of the DCEU. Like WW it'll just be doing it's own thing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Didn't someone do a pretty damn good job of that, not too long ago?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
With Matt Reeves' work with the Apes trilogy, I feel like Detective Chimp needs to be a major part of this film.

Ross61

It's a 'standalone' in so much as Wonder Woman was also a standalone, it will have a separate, isolated storyline that won't feature any elements of Justice League such as Darkseid or whatever.

Warners isn't letting Reeves' turn The Batman into some R rated, $50m actioner when there are hundreds of millions of dollars to be made from merchandising etc.
Yeah, Batman will be one of their big blockbusters with $150M+ budgets. All the Elseworlds films will be lower budget.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They should stop beating around the bush and just admit that they want to start the whole DCEU over again. Just keep Wonder Woman in the canon and go from there, starting with a worthy Batman movie. Forget about the team-up movies for now. They didn't need crossover shit to make a billion dollars on the last couple of Nolan films.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Somewhere, Paul Dini and Bruce Timm let out a sensible "Oh yeah, its real hard to do this whole cohesive DC Universe thing" chuckle.

They should stop beating around the bush and just admit that they want to start the whole DCEU over again. Just keep Wonder Woman in the canon and go from there, starting with a worthy Batman movie.

No way in hell are they doing this with Justice League on the horizon. Same reason why Warner Bros won't confirm if Affleck is out as Batman anytime soon either.

That kind of news can absolutely have an impact on how Justice League performs at the box office. If Warner Bros owns up that they're already planning on hitting the reset button and wiping their slate clean (save for Wonder Woman), it can result in people not bothering to see JL in theaters.

effzee

They should stop beating around the bush and just admit that they want to start the whole DCEU over again. Just keep Wonder Woman in the canon and go from there, starting with a worthy Batman movie. Forget about the team-up movies for now. They didn't need crossover shit to make a billion dollars on the last couple of Nolan films.

Exactly and those were without the 3D showings. Just let Matt make an amazing Batman film.

BUT again if this movie takes place before the events of MoS, it automatically is a stand alone film.

I really don't get why everyone is freaking out. This makes perfect sense to me and avoids any issues of always wondering why Batman is doing anything alone anymore when so many super beings are present to help.

Strike

Oop. Guess that's done. Who knew that establishing universes could be so hard? Just make it good. That's all that matters.

RangerX

Banned
The only thing that should matter is if the film is decent. Who cares if it's connected. It can be an elseworlds film.

JimiNutz

Banned
This is fucking brilliant news.

The Batman should be the start of a new cinematic universe and should be followed by a movie called The Joker. Get your two most important characters right first and then build a new universe around them.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Love seeing all the peeps not reading the thread. Reeves Batman movie is not gonna be apart from the DCEU. It's just a standalone within the universe. He mis-spoke. They wouldn't have shown the damn title at the DCEU panel at Comic Con if they weren't going to include it as part of the universe.

I have no idea wtf is going on. Are they even keeping Batflect?

I have the feeling no one at the studio has a clue what to do either. They've made a mess of things, that's for sure.

Batman V Superman gets terrible reviews, and underperforms at the box office.

Suicide Squad gets terrible reviews, but over performs at the box office.

Wonder Woman gets great reviews and does amazing at the box office.

What exactly do you do with all that mess of good and bad being connected?

Ross61

I have the feeling no one at the studio has a clue what to do either. They've made a mess of things, that's for sure.

Batman V Superman gets terrible reviews, and underperforms at the box office.

Suicide Squad gets terrible reviews, but over performs at the box office.

Wonder Woman gets great reviews and does amazing at the box office.

What exactly do you do with all that mess of good and bad being connected?
Keep going and make better films.

Top Bottom