• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 has a fantastic soundtrack

Phediuk

2.5 years after its release, I still have some Max Payne 3 tracks in regular rotation. HEALTH really killed it on this one; one of the outstanding game soundtracks of the 7th generation, and maybe my favorite, period, from the "AAA" sphere. The thing is, I didn't even like the game that much; it's one of those games where I've spent more time listening to the music than playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJYzMYgoTiI&index=13&list=PL4053A106FBB9E6FD

Anyone else fire up this OST every now and then?

It sounds, plays and looks like a dream on PC, definitely one of the underrated shooter last gen largely due to performance restraints.

MMaRsu

Banned
One of the best soundtracks and one the best third person shooter from last gen. Except for the unskippable cutscenes.I really hope R* decides to make a new Max Payne game. Just give it a subtitle instead of a number and I think it will sell more copies.

Also make it so you have to do some investigating as well, maybe solve some puzzles or something.

The only reason I still have the game installed on my PC is because of the airport level - hearing tears in surround sound...

image.jpg

feel

Playing it right now after a long break (didn't really get into it at first), and it's an amazing game. Unmatched gunfights in gaming, so brutal and satisfying.

Carefully walking down a street in the hostile favela aiming your pistol around while holding a shotgun in your off hand, while that soundtrack thumps is the most badass thing. <3 I feel like I'm Denzel in Man On Fire (I know it's not the same country).

dreamfall

HEALTH, it all was just incredible.

"Tears" in the Airport is one of my favorite gaming moments ever. But I loved the track "Panama." Masters of their craft!

One of the best soundtracks and one the best third person shooter from last gen. Except for the unskippable cutscenes.I really hope R* decides to make a new Max Payne game. Just give it a subtitle instead of a number and I think it will sell more copies.

Also make it so you have to do some investigating as well, maybe solve some puzzles or something.

Some ideas:
  1. Set it in Japan, with Max and Mona Sax fighting through Yakuza.
  2. Lighten the tone back to the first two games, with more tongue-in-cheek humor.
  3. More playable Mona Sax.
  4. Bring back the graphic novel presentation. Maybe even put it in a manga-style to fit the setting.
  5. More level design centered around shooting the environment.

The game is currently at 6 dollars on Steam. I think at that price it's worth even if you just like the music for the game. I just bought it again even though I have it for 360.

Absolutely love the soundtrack, one of my favorites ever in games actually. It hits all the right notes. Health was a really inspired choice, and I enjoy that they kept it melodic even through all the hazy distortion and atmosphere. Every time I listen to it I feel like replaying the game then I remember the cutscenes and get disappointed again.

I love the OST for Max Payne but have never played the game before. It has been my commute music for driving alongside Hotline Miami. Sometimes I wonder what actions happen to go alongside the music in-game, but I am perfectly fine enjoying the music as it is. So glad I listened to people hyping this games' music in a music thread from a while back.

I couldn't agree more. While I hated the game itself, the soundtrack is unbelievable. Painkiller, Torture, and Max: Panama are all fantastic.

Strangely enough, despite loving the Max Payne 3 soundtrack, I don't actually think too highly of anything else I've heard from Health.

cameron

No argument here. The soundtrack blends in nicely with the combat. Helped to make some of the shootouts memorable.

It's still in my playlist of videogame music. Listen to it whenever I'm in "the zone" at work.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Amazing soundtrack. Amazing overlooked performance by James McCaffery. Amazing shooting and set pieces. Amazing game.

When I read the title I was hoping to come in here and see this song listed in the OP and here it is. Such an amazing track and overall incredible soundtrack, one of the best in my opinion.

The game honestly did not receive the love it deserved.

That song really, really stuck out while I was playing. Max woke up and was kind of trying to play it low key on the boat and this music was just perfect.

Wasp

After hearing all the hype about the Tears song during the airport section I was quite disappointed and underwhelmed by it when I got to this section. Was expecting something on a par with Far Away from RDR. However the soundtrack as a whole was fantastic.

Riposte

After hearing all the hype about the Tears song during the airport section I was quite disappointed and underwhelmed by it when I got to this section. Was expecting something on a par with Far Away from RDR. However the soundtrack as a whole was fantastic.

I wasn't too impressed by that or Far Away.

Jb

It's so good. So unique, and such a perfect fit for the very different tone of 3 compared to the Remedy games. It's like a twisted, more brutal version of a soundtrack for an 80s Michael Mann movie.

I love the Pain track that plays at the end of the game. There's a great bitterness and melancholy to it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Brilliant game and brilliant soundtrack. Love it dearly. Oh man how I wish GTA V had MP3's combat. Such a step down and disappointment in that regard.

KorrZ

Honestly I found the soundtrack to be completely forgettable outside of Health - Tears, which was excellent and popped up at just the right moment in the game.

I can't honestly remember any of the other music though, nothing nearly as memorable as the music fromMax Pane 1/ 2

It's so good. So unique, and such a perfect fit for the very different tone of 3 compared to the Remedy games. It's like a twisted, more brutal version of a soundtrack for an 80s Michael Mann movie.

I love the Pain track that plays at the end of the game. There's a great bitterness and melancholy to it.

This track made me let out a huge sigh and say "damn, was that a mess of a ride".

darthbob

I love the gameplay in MP3, but goddamn if I wish I could skip the freaking cutscenes. I even installed the game to my SSD but that did fuck all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Honestly I found the soundtrack to be completely forgettable outside of Health - Tears, which was excellent and popped up at just the right moment in the game.

I can't honestly remember any of the other music though.

I can remember quite a lot of it by how it really matched the tone of whatever max was doing. I remember Shells because it was kind of frantic just like Max and Raul were in the chopper trying to track the sister on the club rooftop. It built up the proper feeling.

Been a while since I played it but I distinctly remember loving the airport terminal music towards the very end. That whole bit was amazing.

Edit - and after reading of the thread I realise that song was tears. Amazing.

I actually just reinstalled and played some of this last night... and yeah, definitely one of the things that struck me is how good the soundtrack is.

If there is to be a Max Payne 4, health need to come back for the score. They did a brilliant job, Michael Mann Heat vibes.

3 was easily one of my favourite games of last gen, even the multiplayer was great fun.

UrbanRats

I can't honestly remember any of the other music though, nothing nearly as memorable as the music fromMax Pane 1/ 2

Really? Anything outside from the main theme from the previous games is wiped out of my memory.

On the other hand tracks like COMBAT DRUGS, FINALE or PANAMA are some of the best i've ever heard in a videogame.

UrbanRats

This has become my favorite track. Everyone recalls Tears and Max Panama, but Painkillers is so gooood. I especially like how it's mixed in the game as you move (or get pushed through cutscenes, unfortunately) from section to section. Like the ultimate moody action music set in a potentially great location for a totally botched handoff.

They're all fucking great.
SHELLS and +90 are another two i love (other than the one i posted above).

PAIN reminds me of an early Silver Mt. Zion track.

Top Bottom