• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DefectiveReject said:
you see 3-4week after Galaxy Smash Bros hits, and around that time Wii Fit hits...... and then Mario Kart...Animal Crossing and more......... so...........................................?
So it has 3 games, basically.
Not similar to Crisis Core -> MGS: PO -> Minna no Golf at all, these games are on your system of choice so they magically add more momentum!

Sharp

Sage00 said:
Not similar to Crisis Core -> MGS: PO -> Minna no Golf at all, these games are on your system of choice so they magically add more momentum!
Yep!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DefectiveReject said:
you see 3-4week after Galaxy Smash Bros hits, and around that time Wii Fit hits...... and then Mario Kart...Animal Crossing and more......... so...........................................?
if you mention future Wii sales, you have to mention the release of Nintendogs, sometimes in 2008. It will have the same effect than the DS version, I can't see how it wouldn't.

DarkMehm

Laguna said:
Yeah DarkMehm and piracy has no effect on sales. I couldn´t hold my laughter when you wrote that.

That's not what I said, I DID admit that it has a large effect on the PSP. But I wasn't the one who said that the major reason why the PSone was so succesful was piracy. :lol

After that discussion many people did say to me, that it is unworthy to discuss with you, because you are such a fanboy.

Sage00 said:

SMG, Smash Brawl and WiiFit

You're comparing those to crisis core, MGS and Minna golf?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

2 G'sOTY (Or even forever if you ask around) and the most casually appointed game ever possibly invented................................ And they had the cheek to call me retarded

marc^o^ said:
if you mention future Wii sales, you have to mention the release of Nintendogs, sometimes in 2008. It will have the same effect than the DS version, I can't see how it wouldn't.

I can't
I'm too busy laughing at MGS and Minna being compared to SMG and SSBB

I mean 2008 is obviously heralding Nintendogs 2 on DS and a fllow up Animal Crossing if you wanna go that fa, but they will probably have the same effect as R&C or something

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii looks to have stabilized.

Nice retailer pre-orders for Galaxy.

Edit- good for Halo 3.

Laguna

Banned
@ccbfan
Don´t tell lies my friend. The only thing that I said was that under this newbuyers there could also be rebuyers.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Japan is far less about pirating too. There are those who do but it is good to see PSP sales move. It's a shame that piracy is hurting the PSP so much.

I have always been wondering how bad PSP piracy actually is. The fact that PSP is so openly hackable and the "abnormal" decline of software sales (especially in US and Europe) despite the healthy growth of hardware sales make me wonder if piracy is way more serious than we thought.

ziran

Phife Dawg said:
As for the Mario pre-orders I guess that's shop pre-orders? Will be interesting to see first day sales. I'm still kind of sceptical because it's a 3D plattformer but maybe we'll see a huuuge opening week after all.
Yeah, it's retailer pre-orders, which is based on interest in the game from consumers.

SMG could have a 500K+ opening, almost double the 280K of SMS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ssbb is easily the biggest release 07 in japan...can`t deny it...

Kildace

AnimeTheme said:
I have always been wondering how bad PSP piracy actually is. The fact that PSP is so openly hackable and the "abnormal" decline of software sales (especially in US and Europe) despite the healthy growth of hardware sales make me wonder if piracy is way more serious than we thought.

I think that it plays a big part, but I also know a lot of people at work who have a PSP but never game with it, they just want the awesome media player.

teepo

AnimeTheme said:

just google it and you'll find out just how large the community is.

cw_sasuke said:
ssbb is easily the biggest release EVER in japan...can`t deny it...
Someone did!!! HAHA
Sharp said:
Uh, what?

fixed but still its all

LIES

hang this man

MGS:pO is the biggest release :lol :lol

Laguna said:
You´re funny. You like to insult people do you? It isn´t my fault when you write something like piracy has no effect on sales in general.

Wii is very easy to pirate on as is the DS, must be why the sales are so high too.

Also PSP sales in Japan, don't make up for the rest of the world.

Laguna

Banned
DarkMehm said:
That's not what I said, I DID admit that it has a large effect on the PSP. But I wasn't the one who said that the major reason why the PSone was so succesful was piracy. :lol

After that discussion many people did say to me, that it is unworthy to discuss with you, because you are such a fanboy.

You´re funny. You like to insult people do you? It isn´t my fault when you write something like piracy has no effect on sales in general.

jarrod

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Yeah, the big 3 (Mario Galaxy, Smash Brawl, Wii Fit) basically ensures consistantly high Wii figures for the last two months of the year. Additionally, it's got a pretty nice spread of B and C tier releases to fill in the gaps (NiGHTS 2, Mario & Sonic Olympics, SC Legends, Chocobo Dungeon, Biohazard UC, Basara 2 Heroes, Naruto GNT EX2, Ghost Squad, Treasure Island Z, Pangya 2nd Shot, Namco Carnival, Doreamon, No More Heroes, Metal Slug Complete, Karous, Shikigami III, SIMPLE Series, Choro Q, Opoona, DDR HP, Cadeucus 2, Deca Sporta, etc, etc).

Early 2008 is also surpringly strong looking so far actually (Mario Kart, Shiren 3, Family Trainer, Symphonia Knights, Oboro Muramasa, Wii Love Golf, Winning Eleven, King Story, FFCC, etc)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DefectiveReject said:
SMG, Smash Brawl and WiiFit

2 G'sOTY (Or even forever if you ask around) and the most casually appointed game ever possibly invented................................ And they had the cheek to call me retarded
1. How can there be TWO games of the same year? :lol
2. Final Fantasy, Minna no Golf and Metal Gear Aolid are some of the most popular franchises in Japan. Certainly on par with Nintendo franchises.
3. PSP is a handheld, it's a well accepted fact now that Japan prefers handhelds to home consoles, so it should benefit even more going by logic.

But you can keep your goggles on, if you like.

cw_sasuke

Sharp said:
Uh, what?

so what game will be bigger ?even ssbm on the flop cube sold over a mil...

ssbb will destroy any game this holiday season in japan ...mark my words....

Sharp

cw_sasuke said:
so what game will be bigger ?even ssbm on the flop cube sold over a mil...

ssbb will destroy any game this holiday season in japan ...mark my words....
Aren't you forgetting about, well, every fucking game on the DS, along with Wii Fit? Do we even know when Smash is coming out in Japan?

Sage00 said:
1. How can there be TWO games of the same year? :lol
2. Final Fantasy, Minna no Golf and Metal Gear Aolid are some of the most popular franchises in Japan. Certainly on par with Nintendo franchises.
3. PSP is a handheld, it's a well accepted fact now that Japan prefers handhelds to home consoles, so it should benefit even more going by logic.

But you can keep your goggles on, if you like.

See Jarrods post

1. Because they are both equally awesome??????
2. Final fantasy yeah.... but not a spin off, MGS as popular as Mario? Minna golf as popular as Smash?..............NO
3. Japan has overly welcomed ONE handheld, one sells well. Also Wii sales are great, and will get better

You guys need to go back to your Sony caves and put your goggles on

DarkMehm

Laguna said:

No, I don't like fanboys with shitty memories, that's all.

@Piracy-discussion: Yeah, I agree that this is a problem for the PSP, but I don't know how large the piracy scene really is.

jarrod

Banned
Sage00 said:
FF's a spinoff, Mingol's in steep decline and MGS was never that big to start with. None of these 3 PSP games will be cracking a million units sold, but all three of those Wii games will. Simple as that.

cw_sasuke

Sharp said:
Aren't you forgetting about, well, every fucking game on the DS, along with Wii Fit? Do we even know when Smash is coming out in Japan?

yes, games like tales,ff4,layton oder dq4 will sure habe nice sales..but u can`t compare them to a game like ssbb...w8 n see....

ok, may be 1-2 ds games could sell more - but the game with the biggest impact this year will be ssbb....

Sharp

cw_sasuke said:
yes, games like tales,ff4,layton oder dq4 will sure habe nice sales..but u can`t compare them to a game like ssbb...w8 n see....

ok, may be 1-2 ds games could sell more - but the game with the biggest impact this year will be ssbb....
How do you measure "impact" again? I lost my conversion table.

DefectiveReject said:
I see a "2007." Is that what I should be looking for?

Sharp said:
Like this
ssbb_0.jpg

Sharp said:
I see a "2007." Is that what I should be looking for?

No. i believe to see if a game is coming this year you look for 2009

Jokeropia

Sage00 said:
It's also a well-accepted fact that FF, MnG and MGS perform much worse on PSP than they did on PS2.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DefectiveReject said:
See Jarrods post

1. Because they are both equally awesome??????
2. Final fantasy yeah.... but not a spin off, MGS as popular as Mario? Minna golf as popular as Smash?..............NO
3.Japan has overly welcomed ONE handheld, one sells well. Also Wii sales are great, and will get better

You guys need to go back to your Sony caves and put your goggles on
1. Fanboy point.
2. Popular enough to be in the top 3 for 3 weeks so far, more than any Wii game outside of Wii Sports/Play can say. I don't have hard numbers but I'm going to say I'm 80% MnG on PS2 had a higher attach ratio at their time of release than SSBM had, if not at least comparable. Don't downplay the popularity of this series.
3. Ok, PSP sells over 100k and is "not selling well, not welcomed". Wii sells 25k and is "selling great"? :lol Was PS3 selling great a few weeks ago too then? :lol I don't think this is even worth my time.

Sage00 said:
1. Fanboy point.
2. Popular enough to be in the top 3 for 3 weeks so far, more than any Wii game outside of Wii Sports/Play can say. I don't have hard numbers but I'm going to say I'm 80% MnG on PS2 had a higher attach ratio at their time of release than SSBM had, if not at least comparable. Don't downplay the popularity of this series.
3. Ok, PSP sells over 100k and is "not selling well, not welcomed". Wii sells 25k and is "selling great"? :lol Was PS3 selling great a few weeks ago too then? :lol I don't think this is even worth my time.

1. YEAH SURE FANBOY POINT. 1.5m viewed thread says neoGAF is fanboy haven
2. Now you're comparing sale sof PSP games for 3 weeks to Wiiplay/sports for the last year?
3. I said sells well no? And Wii is selling great especially as there's no software being released for it.............................!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
jarrod said:
FF's a spinoff, Mingol's in steep decline and MGS was never that big to start with. None of these 3 PSP games will be cracking a million units sold, but all three of those Wii games will. Simple as that.
I was talking about the hardware bumps these games would give to PSP. Software sales just aren't good on the platform, but they have been proven to spike the hardware.

Sharp said:

Impact = hardware boost... perhaps?

There is no doubt that SMG and SSBB will be huge... but the case of Mario Party 8 makes me wonder how many people who will buy these games already have Wii.

Sharp

Sage00 said:
1. Fanboy point.
PSP is selling well. I don't know why you expect it to keep selling like that, but over 100k for one week is always good, no matter what the console or what the extenuating circumstances (well, maybe at launch a little more is expected). 25k for the Wii is also not great. It kind of sucks, really. I think the justification is that on any given week it looks good in comparison to the PS3, even if across weeks their sales are the same.

zeroshiki

Kildace said:
I think that it plays a big part, but I also know a lot of people at work who have a PSP but never game with it, they just want the awesome media player.

This is true. Completely anecdotal and not representative of Japan, but I have a friend who's debating whether to buy a PSP or an iPod. He doesn't play games, at all.

Sharp said:
PSP is selling well. I don't know why you expect it to keep selling like that, but over 100k for one week is always good, no matter what the console or what the extenuating circumstances (well, maybe at launch a little more is expected). 25k for the Wii is also not great. It kind of sucks, really. I think the justification is that on any given week it looks good in comparison to the PS3, even if across weeks their sales are the same.
?
PS3 spiked at 25-40,000 with good software
Wii sits at 25,000 with no software at all and sits comfrtably at 75,000+ with good software, 100,000+ with great software

Sage00 said:
1. Fanboy point.
Don't want to get in the middle of this arguement, but I think you should wait with this kind of conclusions a few weeks. It's the second week of the PSPlite launch, and the Wii is just right now in a slump. That makes 2 weeks of great sales for the PSP, and 40 weeks of great sales for the Wii, to put it blundly of course ;).

Ceb

tanod said:
Wait for MC numbers, those are the GAFFicial ones. But, even the best FPS do not break 100,000. Resistance has about 85,000 copies sold as of June IIRC.

It was at just under 120k in March...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DefectiveReject said:
1. YEAH SURE FANBOY POINT. 1.5m viewed thread says neoGAF is fanboy haven
2. Now you're comparing sale sof PSP games for 3 weeks to Wiiplay/sports for the last year?
3. I said sells well no? And Wii is selling great especially as there's no software being released for it.............................!
1. I'm glad you've played the games enough to form an opinion on them both apparently being game of the year. I will trust your unbiased opinion in the future.
2. Why don't I compare it to Mario Party, Mario Strikers, etc then? Oh look, it's performing better.
3. Where do we draw the "sells well" line. Straight under wherever Wii is? :lol 25k is not good for this system, you can not convince anyone of that.

Sharp

DefectiveReject said:
?
PS3 spiked at 25-40,000 with good software
Wii sits at 25,000 with no software at all and sits comfrtably at 75,000+ with good software, 100,000+ with great software
No, it sat at 75,000 with pent-up Wii Sports demand, 100k when extra consoles were shipped when it was supply-constrained. We have yet to see what the impact of a big game will be on the Wii when there are no supply constraints, as obviously Mario Strikers was not that game. None of which changes the fact that, not that long ago, the PS3 was at 25k, which seemed pretty feeble at the time because the Wii was so much higher, but which is nonetheless the same as what the Wii is selling now.

Sage00 said:
1. I'm glad you've played the games enough to form an opinion on them both apparently being game of the year. I will trust your unbiased opinion in the future.
2. Why don't I compare it to Mario Party, Mario Strikers, etc then? Oh look, it's performing better.
3. Where do we draw the "sells well" line. Straight under wherever Wii is? :lol 25k is not good for this system, you can not convince anyone of that.
25K in Japan, SEVERAL hundred thousand more than any other console worldwide = GREAT

Mario Party is near on 750,000 maybe more off a installed base far less than PSP, and Mario Strikers isn't a big seller in Japan

You don't need me to tell you SMG and SSBB are good, ask anyone who has played SMG at gameshows and they will laugh at you for denying its status

jarrod

Banned
Since it was such a hit last time I did this... tenative Japan Q4 lineups!

PSP
10.18 Kaitou Apricot Portable (Takuyo)
10.25 Air (Prototype)
11.08 Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle (Konami)
11.08 Minna no Golf Jou Vol. 4 (SCEI)
11.08 NBA Live 08 (EA)
11.15 Anata o Yurusanai (AQI)
11.15 Dungeon Explorer: Meiyaku no Tobira (Hudson)
11.29 Makai Senki Disgaea Portable: Tsuushin Taisen Hajime Mashita (NIS)
11.29 Xyanide Resurrection (Ertain)
12.06 Chronicle of Dungeon Maker 2 (Global A)
12.06 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Capcom)
12.06 Mahjong Haoh Portable: Dankyuu Battle (NCS)
12.06 Silent Hill Zero (Konami)
12.20 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku (BNGI)
12.27 Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu (Systemsoft)

Wii
10.25 Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party (Konami)
10.25 Ghost Squad (SEGA)
10.25 Gintama: Banji Oku Chuubu (BNGI)
10.25 Simple Wii Series Vol. 1: The Minna de Kart Race (D3)
10.25 Simple Wii Series Vol. 2: The Minna de Bass Tsuri Taikai (D3)
10.25 Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Capcom)
11.01 Opoona (Koei)
11.01 Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
11.08 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (EA)
11.15 Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
11.22 Dragon Blade (D3)
11.22 Gegege no Kitarou: Youkai Daiundoukai (BNGI)
11.29 Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX2 (Takara Tomy)
11.29 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Capcom)
11.29 Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! (Tecmo)
12.06 Disney Princess: Mahou no Sekai e (Disney)
12.06 Doraemon Wii: Himitsu Douguou Ketteisen! (SEGA)
12.06 Haneru no Tobira Wii: Kirigirissu (BNGI)
12.06 Jinsei Game Wii (Takara Tomy)
12.06 Minna de Asobou de! Namco Carnival (BNGI)
12.06 No More Heroes (MMV)
12.06 Rabbits Party Returns (Ubisoft)
12.13 Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu (Square Enix)
12.13 Choro-Q Wii (Takara Tomy)
12.13 NiGHTS: Hoshi Furu Yoru no Monogatari (SEGA)
12.13 Puchi Copter Wii: Adventure Flight (ASN)
12.13 Shikigami no Shiro 3 (ASN)
12.20 Deca Sporta (Hudson)
12.20 FIFA 08: World Class Soccer (EA)
12.20 Lewis to Mirai Dorobou (Disney)
12.20 Spongebob to Nakamatachi: Toybot no Kougeki (THQ)
12.27 Nodame Cantabile: Dream * Orchestra (BNGI)

Jonnyram said:
PSP 128000
DSL 72000
Wii 25000
PS2 13000
PS3 13000
360 5800

1. Pokemon 97,000 (857,000)
2. Halo 3 61,000
3. Crisis Core 61,000 (664,000)
4. Tamagotchi 3 48,000
5. MGS Portable Ops+ 41,000 (130,000)
6. Bleach 32,000
7. Yugioh 30,000
8. Eiyuu Densetsu 26,000
9. Evangelion Magokoro 24,000
10. PSU Illuminas 24,000
11. Kanji Kentei 2 23,000
12. Oblivion 23,000
21. Wangan PSP 10,000
23. Kekkaishi 9,800
27. Agarest Senki 9,000
28. Eigo Kentei DS 8,900

i.e. Halo 3 or Crisis Core should be #1 on M.C.

Haha. Last week I said that PSP would be between 100 and 130k. I was right. Next week (if any new significant release) DS > PSP.

ziran said:
Has this been posted?

From what I can make out (babelfish) SMG has 700K retailer pre-orders, Wii's highest, and the Crimson/Black DS Lite has an initial shipment of 50K:
http://sinobi.ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10049594051.html

Corrections would be welcome from anyone who can understand Japanese.

700k for a Mario Game (pre-orders). That's really not a surprise. Remember New Super Mario Bros. first week ? And believe me when I say that it will have GIANT legs.

Sharp said:
No, it sat at 75,000 with pent-up Wii Sports demand, 100k when extra consoles were shipped when it was supply-constrained. We have yet to see what the impact of a big game will be on the Wii when there are no supply constraints, as obviously Mario Strikers was not that game. None of which changes the fact that, not that long ago, the PS3 was at 25k, which seemed pretty feeble at the time because the Wii was so much higher, but which is nonetheless the same as what the Wii is selling now.
Wii slumps stays higher than PS3 in a slump, tells you whats more popular, and my othe rpost tells you 25K in Japan . Hundreds of thousands worldwide.

no big game release yet you yourself state pent up demand for Wii Sports???? Was this not a big game for Wii? Also Mario Party help the Wii along as it started to reach gamedrought status.

Sage00... just a question. are you aware of what New Super Mario Bros did in Japan on the DS? are you aware that Smash Bros Melee was the best selling game on the GameCube?

i'm not saying those things aren't counterable... i just want to know if you're aware of those things. Melee was bigger than anything else on the GameCube, and while it's only speculation now to say that sales of NSMB will translate to sales of Galaxy to any large degree, the last Mario platformer fucking dwarfs just about anything on a Sony system from the last couple of years.

sales agers feel free to correct me if i'm wrong and something like FF12 has comparable numbers.

Sharp

DefectiveReject said:
Wii slumps stays higher than PS3 in a slump, tells you whats more popular, and my othe rpost tells you 25K in Japan . Hundreds of thousands worldwide.

no big game release yet you yourself state pent up demand for Wii Sports???? Was this not a big game for Wii? Also Mario Party help the Wii along as it started to reach gamedrought status.
The Wii is more popular than the PS3. This is not a difficult statement to make, and to state the converse would be laughable. I never denied it! But the shifting standards for "poor sales" are suspicious, especially given that 25k was actually incredibly good in comparison to the PS3 average, while 25k is incredibly bad in comparison to the Wii average, and both are pretty bad compared to the sales average set by the DS over the past year and a half.

Sharp said:
The Wii is more popular than the PS3. This is not a difficult statement to make, and to state the converse would be laughable. I never denied it! But the shifting standards for "poor sales" are suspicious, especially given that 25k was actually incredibly good in comparison to the PS3 average, while 25k is incredibly bad in comparison to the Wii average, and both are pretty bad compared to the sales average set by the DS over the past year and a half.

Last post from me.

Wii has no BIG games for maybe 2 months and sits at 25,000. In 3-4week time Wii will relaunch, just like DS did Easter 2005 and it won't look back for a long time. PS3......Maybe have a sales spike or two but it won't catch Wii, and Wii still has its first price drop and new colours to come!!

Jokeropia

Sage00 said:
2. Popular enough to be in the top 3 for 3 weeks so far, more than any Wii game outside of Wii Sports/Play can say.
There are five Wii games apart from Wii Sports and Wii Play that have outsold every Minna no Golf and MGS game on PSP.
Sage00 said:
I don't have hard numbers but I'm going to say I'm 80% MnG on PS2 had a higher attach ratio at their time of release than SSBM had, if not at least comparable.
MnG 3 (first PS2 MnG) first week sales: 272,758.
PS2 installed base at the time: 3,851,752
Attach rate: ~7.1%

SSBM first week sales: 357,101
GC installed base at the time: 428,789
Attach rate: 83.3%

Comparable huh? :lol
Sage00 said:
3. Ok, PSP sells over 100k and is "not selling well, not welcomed". Wii sells 25k and is "selling great"?
Look at more than the last few weeks. Wii is still about a million ahead of PSP YTD and two million ahead of the PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DefectiveReject said:
Last post from me.

Wii has no BIG games for maybe 2 months and sits at 25,000. In 3-4week time Wii will relaunch, just like DS did Easter 2005 and it won't look back for a long time. PS3......Maybe have a sales spike or two but it won't catch Wii, and Wii still has its first price drop and new colours to come!!

I agree with you that long term, this slump probably isn't reason for concern. However, the reality is that for most of the year, Wii hardware sales were much higher even when there were no games released. For the time being, demand has lessened and Wii sales are disappointing, bottom line.

Top Bottom