• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 23-29 Jan

There goes the DS as being a platform for Mature games :(
Correction:
There does DS as being a platform for violent games that have bitches and hos.
The fact that a good portion of the Brain Training buyers are adults makes the DS a lot more "mature" than the PSP.

mutsu

It's more like all PSP softwares are bombing.

Bleach deserves better though... how much did the two PSP Bleach games sold LTD?

GDGF

Soothsayer
EAD Ninja said:
You know what I was thinking for Stage Debut. Put it on Wifi, let people make tv shows and music videos like they showed at E3, but with Wifi allow them to upload the videos so others can watch and vote on the idea.

Almost like an interactive American Idol.

That is a freaking fantastic idea. The community aspect would make it bigger than Mario Paint ever was.

Joester

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Lets see, the non-games Nintendo has shipped are:
Dog Training
Brain Training
Brain Training 1.5
Brain Training 2
English Training
DS Dictionary
Puzzle game collection

Am I missing any?

Brain Training for kids comes out soon i think

Nintendogs like previously stated.
Electroplankton.
Jam with the Band?

My idea for Stage Debut was to ship it with a camera on the DS, and then you could take it to school/work and take pictures of your friends and put them into the game and watch their reactions as they watch their "virtual" selves dance/walk around/etc. on screen.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Earthstrike said:
Correction:
There does DS as being a platform for violent games that have bitches and hos.
The fact that a good portion of the Brain Training buyers are adults makes the DS a lot more "mature" than the PSP.

The DS came out before the PSP so its more mature....

blah blah.

That depends... according to Nintendo, Brain Training is a 'non-game,' so you can't say its a platform for mature games, can you?

NINTENDO HAS THE MATURE NON GAME MARKET CORNERED, har har.

(see how silly that sounds?)

So, my comment is still valid.
Nintendo does it again - mature games just dont sell here.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
John Harker said:
There goes the DS as being a platform for Mature games :(

True, though I gotta say that for games "mature" is really a kids genre.

Dalthien

mutsu said:
It's more like all PSP softwares are bombing.

Bleach deserves better though... how much did the two PSP Bleach games sold LTD?
These Charts are the LTD charts:

From them, we have:

78,276 Bleach: Heat the Soul (Sony) (3/24/05) - through June 26/05
64,321 Bleach: Heat the Soul 2 (Sony) (9/1/05) - through Nov 27/05

I'm actually kind of tired of those Brain Trainings being up there. Sure it's GREAT for DS sales and software, but I want to see some REAL games up there too.

mj1108

LanceStern said:
I'm actually kind of tired of those Brain Trainings being up there. Sure it's GREAT for DS sales and software, but I want to see some REAL games up there too.

How are those not REAL games, Junior?

LanceStern said:

Must be why there are 3 DS 'games' in the top ten.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
mj1108 said:
How are those not REAL games, Junior?

I'm by far not a junior... and I tend to agree with him.

I just don't want the DS to end up like the N64/GC in the fact that the only company that really makes a killing in software sales is Nintendo.

I mean, lets be real, that honestly does affect publishers who don't want to put many games on the system because they know they can't compete directly with Nintendo first party games.

I want games like Bleach and Lost Magic and Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil and "traditonal" games - both new IPs and sequals - to get the sales they deserve so developrs see these as an open platform and not as one thats a tough sell for their games vs Nintendo mascots and first party games and now IN ADDTION against "non-games."

The sales of these games just make another barrier for entry for new products from other companies.

mollipen

Kiriku said:
But is it really a good way to learn English, through "English Training"? How advanced does it actually get? I mean, if it's just basic English you learn I get this image in my head of numerous people in Japan suddenly talking "English Training" Engrish, only using phrases they specifically learned from the game. :p

I was looking into this before for my girlfriend, to help her practice her English, and I think one of the main points of the game is listening practice. The Flash demo on Nintendo Japan's site shows off listening to English words of phrases, and then trying to write down what you heard. I don't know enough to say if that is the major portion of the game or not, though.

Listening seems to be one of the harder aspects to practice over there, because usually people don't have a lot of access to English speakers, let alone native English speakers who provide less than stellar practice material with their broken English. So I think this is a great product for Japanese consumers.

I do have to say, though, that I wish Nintendo (or somebody) would maybe throw some love our way. Even if you want to ride on the back of anime popularity or whatnot and advertise it towards the people who are learning Japanese because it is "cool" or so they can annoy others by tossing in random Japanese words every now and then, I'd like to see us English speakers get something to help us with Japanese - or, hell, a multitude of languages. The Japanese dictionary that Nintendo released is a nice little product, and with some minimal tweaking (and addition of Kanji search support, which no doubt would take a bit more work), it would be a stellar product for us English speakers.

Maybe if the Brain Training stuff sells any kind of decent numbers over here, companies will start to see that the US DS market can also support (and wants) non-game stuff like that.

RaijinFY

John Harker said:
I'm by far not a junior... and I tend to agree with him.

I just don't want the DS to end up like the N64/GC in the fact that the only company that really makes a killing in software sales is Nintendo.

I mean, lets be really, that honestly does affect publishers who don't want to put many games on the system because they know they can't compete directly Nintendo first party games.

I want games like Bleach and Lost Magic and Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil and "traditonal" games - both new IPs and sequals - to get the sales they deserve so developrs see these as an open platform and not as one thats a tough sell for their games vs Nintendo mascots and first party games and now IN ADDTION against "non-games."

The sales of these games just make another barrier for entry for new products from other companies.

QFT! I already said it in this thread or in another one, those non-games are fine and all, the industry will be pleased and all but I'm still attracted by more traditional games. PERIOD!

Nintendo should bundle Brain Training with the new white/black (assuming there's black) DS Lite models in North America ... I think that would appeal moreso to adults, maybe cause a bit of a Tetris/Game Boy type synergy.

Square-Enix are going to make an absolute killing on the DS.

In the US, games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Resident Evil will probably perform better, but Nintendo really needs to hook up with Blizzard again.

Starcraft: Ghost would be an ideal title for the Rev launch since its going nowhere on the PS2/XBox IMO and Starcraft would also be a great fit on the DS.

Markster

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo should bundle Brain Training with the new DS Lite models in North America ... I think that would appeal moreso to adults, maybe cause a bit of a Tetris/Game Boy type synergy.

Definitely. Brain Training is already a more budget priced game, so a move like this would be cheap, and it would spread the Brain Training gospel among the unsuspecting North American consumer base.

I'm sure Nintendo would love to have many parents buying a second DS for the home because the parents couldn't put down their kid's present.

Or you know... Nintendo could just bundle Tetris again.

cvxfreak

Dengeki

Final Fantasy VII DOC: 392,000
Eigo Zuke: 261,000 (70% sell through)
Shin Onimusha: 232,000
Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training: 117,000 / 1,111,000

DS hardware: 123,000

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
Dengeki

Final Fantasy VIII DOC: 392,000

Holy Shit.

Flakster99

How is that even remotely possible with the DSlite in the not to distant future and the many reported shortages? I guess the not to distant future is to distant for a 123k gamers.

Thanks for the numbers gang.

Jonnyram

What's scary is that everywhere is still sold out of DSs. They will keep selling as they are supplied, though it looks like supply will not meet demand until some time after DS lite launches.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It'd be nice to get the PSP hardware figures too. You know, for comparison's sake or something. Yeah.

7Th

shigiwat29mv.jpg

Someone has to bust out quotes from the last thread, where the DS pessimists were saying that the restocking had already occurred, and that the DS wasn't going to break ~65k units this week.

Raw64life

The way its looking they better have 500k ready for DS Lite launch on March 2nd. And wow at Animal Crossing. I thought it would just barely make it to 2 million but it looks like it's going to cruise past that mark.

Well maybe I can't say that for Animal Crossing just yet, as it's only the 2nd title.

But selling 2 million in Japan in less than 4 months = wows

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki

Final Fantasy VIII DOC: 392,000

DAMN!

This is making the PS2 look like a piker! Will it ever slow down? It's getting scary at this point. I don't think anybody in their right minds would have predicted anything like this 12-18 months ago.

DS = Fastest selling system of all time and the ride continues.

Bow down.

I honestly think AC has a very realistic shot at 3m. It's sales have gone up for the past 3 weeks, similar to what happened Brain Training but on a bigger scale. It should hit 2m by the time the DS Lite launches and that will likely boost sales again. What was the last non-Pokemon Nintendo title to pass 3m, surely it was years and years ago.

_PsiFire_

I can't wait till the realy Pokemon RPG's come out..

I hate the games - but I wanna see some REAL DS PWNAG3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Mario Kart 64 passed 2 million in Japan, but that's saying something...

And Pokemon, that's about the only other thing

Holy shit, I was thinking DS at 70,000 MAX. Its the freaking last week of Janaury, holiday shopping is supposed to be over (at least until Easter).

PS2 should be around 30,000 no?

And Kingdom hearts 2 has dropped down pretty quickly. DS titles and Monster Hunetr PSP have been floating around since forever, and KH2 is on tis way out.

Anybody know when Pokemon Dungeon came out? Thats also been there too long.

Is the GBA edition getting a release?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jamesinclair said:
Anybody know when Pokemon Dungeon came out? Thats also been there too long.

Is the GBA edition getting a release?
Both the DS and GBA versions were released November 17th.

neo2046

don't be too excited
NDS' HW sales numbers will be decreased again next week

Nintendo will stop the NDS shippment this week and next week
it seems one of the reasons is the Chinese New Year

Top Bottom