• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

Taurus

doicare said:
Yes a console which is going to go onto sell 10+ million in japan is a 'retarded' console that competes in the 'special olympics'...
You are saying PS3 is going to sell 10M+ in Japan? GTFO! :lol

Wait... is this candid camera?

sphinx

the piano man
doicare said:
Yes a console which is going to go onto sell 10+ million in japan is a 'retarded' console that competes in the 'special olympics'...

I not sure I get this:

so, according to you PS3 is GUARANTEED to sell at least 10 million in Japan?

No way that will happen, Japan is merciless with losing consoles. They leave them to rot and die. The Gamecube with a much better attach rate and software sales sold like 4 million in its life.

let it go, the PS3 will perform on par with gamecube or saturn, maybe even worse.

EDIT: beaten multiple times.

schuelma said:
But you do it so much better than we can.....

I dunno, I think Saitou summed it up pretty well.

How do you deal with such a massive breach in logic and reason? You don't. You just point and laugh. Or weep for humanity. One or the other.

Jokeropia

I think Joshua's comparisons are relevant here:
At 42 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.8 weeks (March 31, 2000), where PSP was at 15.9 weeks (March 26, 2005), where GCN was at 18.0 weeks (January 12, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.9 weeks (January 6, 2007).

Parl

doicare said:
Yes a console wh
i
ch
is
going to go onto sell 10+ million in japan is a '
retarded
' console that competes in the 'special olympics'...

l_b1baad815541cdccb1d491306f4064ab.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:
ethel to the rescue. More Phoenix Wright sales numbers than you could ever hope for or want.

Total sales (combined NDS/GBA versions). As you said, the fourth game has outsold all the others:
Code:
Phoenix Wright 1	444,567
Phoenix Wright 2	335,671
Phoenix Wright 3	238,893
Apollo Justice		471,947

Sales broken down by GBA and NDS versions of the games (combining in Best Price re-releases):
Code:
Phoenix Wright		GBA	128,601
Phoenix Wright 2	GBA	171,187
Phoenix Wright 3	GBA	161,893
Phoenix Wright DS	NDS	315,966
Phoenix Wright 2 DS	NDS	164,484
Phoenix Wright 3 DS	NDS	77,000
Apollo Justice		NDS	471,947

And showing the week-by-week sales for each version of each game. Using this one, you can also see how PW3 DS is doing compared to PW2 DS (answer: much, much better):
Code:
Phoenix Wright		GBA  	23,911  	10,816  	5,116  		62,169
Phoenix Wright (BP)	GBA 	6,685 		7,892 		6,491 		66,432
Phoenix Wright 2 	GBA 	51,859 		22,751 		11,711 		116,306
Phoenix Wright 2 (BP)	GBA 	- 		- 		- 		54,881
Phoenix Wright 3	GBA 	76,619 		23,450 		10,213 		161,893

Phoenix Wright DS	NDS 	50,469 		14,989 		6,383 		117,784
Phoenix Wright DS (BP)	NDS 	10,898 		9,125 		7,100 		198,182
[B]Phoenix Wright 2 DS	NDS 	22,428 		13,764 		8,416 		164,484[/B]
[B]Phoenix Wright 3 DS	NDS	57,000		20,000				77,000[/B]

Apollo Justice		NDS 	240,275 	58,589 		39,196 		471,947

Thanks Ethelred, your analysis is great like always.

doicare

Yes of course with most of the ps3's top games not being released yet, over the next few years the releases of wont do anything...:
Final Fantasy - sells 2-3m
Gran Turismo - sells 1-2m
Pro evolution soccer- sells 1-2m
Kingdom Hearts - sells 1-1.5m
Onimusha - sells 1m
Metal Gear Solid - sells 800k-900k
Devil May Cry - sells 400k-600k
Resident Evil - sells 400k-600k
Ratchet and Clank - sells 300k-400k
Tekken - sells 300k-400k
GTA - sells 300k-400k

Yes of course they wont do anything because the playstation sucks am right? The Console market is expanding not shrinking. The wii will go on and sell 25m+ and the 360 1m~ and the ps3 10m+. Just my opinion that's all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
Yes of course with most the ps3's top games not being released yet, over the next few years the releases of:
Onimusha - sells 1m
Tekken - sells 300k-400k
GTA - sells 300k-400k

Yes of course they wont do anything because the playstation sucks am right? The Console market is expanding not shrinking. The wii will go on and sell 25m+ and the 360 1m~ and the ps3 10m+. Just my opinion that's all.

Here is the problem with that logic- those sales you mention largely happened on a console with a massive userbase alredy. It is highly presumptive to assume these installments will sell nearly as many copies when the install bases are so different. MNG5 is a perfect example of this- a previous million plus seller selling about a third of that.

doicare said:
Yes of course with most the ps3's top games not being released yet, over the next few years the releases of wont do anything...:
Onimusha - sells 1m
Tekken - sells 300k-400k
GTA - sells 300k-400k

You don't get it, do you? The games sold like they did in part because of the massive and growing userbase they had. It's a symbiotic relationship, if you will. It's always been that way.

And as for all those numbers, remember one particular best-selling franchise on the PS3 that was shown to have flopped horribly in comparison to its predecessors? Some golf game, wasn't it?

Arde5643

Thunder Monkey said:
*whispers*

I've seen this before. It's a ritual performed here.

The weaker are eaten to preserve the might of the species. Very Darwinian.:D
Although I don't know how healthy it will be eating a weaker species that's developed an enormous brain tumor destroying almost all of its rational and logical thinking skills.

Saitou

Banned
doicare said:
Yes of course with most the ps3's top games not being released yet, over the next few years the releases of wont do anything...:
[LET'S GO BATSHIT LOCO!]
You forgot Minna no Golf selling another two milli--

Wait, nevermind.
edit: Damn you Author.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One more response to doicare's list- Has there been any indication whatsoever that KH3 is a PS3 exclusive? Why does this keep showing up on lists like these?

I mean, yeah, if we're going to analyse the list - Onimusha hasn't been announced for anything and when it is, I bet you dollars to donuts it's multi.

Yes of course with most of GCN's top games not being released yet, over the next few years the releases won't do anything...:
Mario Kart - sells 2-3m
Resident Evil - sells 1-2m
Zelda - sells 1m
Pokémon Stadium - sells 1m
Mario Party - sells 1m
Tales - sells 500k

So obviously the GameCube will do significantly better than the Nintendo 64, and not stall out before reaching 5 million.

doicare said:
Onimusha - sells 1m
Tekken - sells 300k-400k
GTA - sells 300k-400k
cga0226l.jpg

Tmac

schuelma said:
One more response to doicare's list- Has there been any indication whatsoever that KH3 is a PS3 exclusive? Why does this keep showing up on lists like these?

Im sure is isnt xbox360 exclusive. If you look back you might guess its ps3 exclusive...

doicare

Saitou said:
You forgot Minna no Golf selling another two milli--

Wait, nevermind.
edit: Damn you Author.

Except that minna no golf never sold 2 million. The last one with an install base of 16m~ ps2's sold 1.3m~.

doicare

schuelma said:
Here is the problem with that logic- those sales you mention largely happened on a console with a massive userbase alredy. It is highly presumptive to assume these installments will sell nearly as many copies when the install bases are so different. MNG5 is a perfect example of this- a previous million plus seller selling about a third of that.

So what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Does great software make people go out and buy consoles, or do people go out and buy the consoles any way and only then do they go out and buy these games?

Cryect

Tmac said:
Im sure is isnt xbox360 exclusive. If you look back you might guess its ps3 exclusive...

Yeah, would never be a Wii exclusive! You are talking about a game that never particularly pushed graphics.

doicare said:
So what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Does great software make people go out and by consoles, or do people go out and buy the consoles any way and only then do they go out and buy these games?

That's why starting strong is so extremely vital to any console.

To answer your question, it's the userbase that comes first. Notably the launch userbase, and the first few months that follow it. It's theoretically possible to come back even if you have a crappy start, but that requires several luxury the PS3 doesn't enjoy (such as a lack of viable competition).

doicare said:
Except that minna no golf never sold 2 million. The last one with an install base of 16m~ ps2's sold 1.3m~.

Uh, so what exactly was the point of your little list? Those games all sold at that level on the PS2. Now that you've seen what happened to MnG - a major collapse in sales for the PS3 installment - what on Earth makes you confident that those series will see anything like the figures you list?

doicare

Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, so what exactly was the point of your little list? Those games all sold at that level on the PS2. Now that you've seen what happened to MnG - a major collapse in sales for the PS3 installment - what on Earth makes you confident that those series will see anything like the figures you list?

One game doesnt make the difference. It takes a large group of games to push up hardware install base. MNG5 will sell around 500,000~ in life time sales. That's 38.5%~ of the last version of the games total sales. As each big franchise gets released more people jump onto the console and in turn that will increase the sales of not only that game but all the sales of the up coming big games. In 2 years time when MNG6 gets released do you think it will sell more or less than MNG5 will have?

Leezard

doicare said:
One game doesnt make the difference. It takes a large group of games to push up hardware install base. MNG5 will sell around 500,000~ in life time sales. That's 38.5%~ of the last version of the games total sales.

Compare that to Mario Party 8 and Mario Party 7. Compare userbases as well.

Brofist

Leezard said:
Compare that to Mario Party 8 and Mario Party 7. Compare userbases as well.

MP was a series just begging for a change, and the Wiimote fit it well. Not a good comparison. Plus we know the Wii is on fire, no one is saying otherwise.

tanod

when is my burrito
Dragona Akehi said:
We've got a live one, folks.

Reminds me of me when I was a junior. Oh, my sordid message board youth. GAF was my first and only. <3

Tip: Run now while you still have your legs! :lol

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
doicare said:
One game doesnt make the difference. It takes a large group of games to push up hardware install base. MNG5 will sell around 500,000~ in life time sales. That's 38.5%~ of the last version of the games total sales. As each big franchise gets released more people jump onto the console and in turn that will increase the sales of not only that game but all the sales of the up coming big games. In 2 years time when MNG6 gets released do you think it will sell more or less than MNG5 will have?

It will either sell a little more or a little less. Both games sales will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The price collapse for 5 doesn't bode well for 6.

Saitou

Banned
kpop100 said:
MP was a series just begging for a change, and the Wiimote fit it well. Not a good comparison. Plus we know the Wii is on fire, no one is saying otherwise.
Yeah, it's totally not comparable. Just like how third parties don't sell well on the Wii if you don't count third parties that sell well on the Wii.

brb becoming an hero

Brofist

Saitou said:
Yeah, it's totally not comparable. Just like how third parties don't sell well on the Wii if you don't count third parties that sell well on the Wii.

brb becoming an hero

riiight, cause my comment was completely in line with 3rd party game sales on the Wii.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ShockingAlberto said:
What is it with people with Homer avatars?

Spwolf, doicare, you guys are ruining an awesome character for me.

Thank god I'm so glad somebody ELSE pointed that out too. I was thinking I'm the only one that believed that.

I can also see what's going to happen here; these PS3 games fail to sell to expectations and all of a sudden it'll be the people's fault, that somehow the Wii will have brainwashed these people into not liking Sony stuff anymore. People like doicare won't ever admit to it being Sony's fault at all, oh no. They won't even acknowledge there is a problem at all.

Please please PLEASE pay attention to what happened with the N64 and the Gamecube. The N64 in particular had the major franchises of old going for it; Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Doom et al. Then it lost it at the start of the machine's launch and no amount of high quality launches past then could save it. Ocarina of Time is one of the best selling Zelda games of all time, and even that didn't turn fortunes around when it finally came out. It's like you're missing all the EVER-SO-SUBTLE hints being dropped by people like JoshuaJSlone et al.

doicare

SovanJedi said:
Thank god I'm so glad somebody ELSE pointed that out too. I was thinking I'm the only one that believed that.

I can also see what's going to happen here; these PS3 games fail to sell to expectations and all of a sudden it'll be the people's fault, that somehow the Wii will have brainwashed these people into not liking Sony stuff anymore. People like doicare won't ever admit to it being Sony's fault at all, oh no. They won't even acknowledge there is a problem at all.

If Sony fail then ultimately it is their fault, i never said otherwise.

Top Bottom