• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

Ike said:
Well, the PS2 is still the console king on the country.

Console King means little compared to software sales. Its clear who is demostratively selling games in Japan for the last year by Media Create top 10 lists alone. The titles selling havent been appearing in large part on any console other than DS.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Scalemail Ted said:
Console King means little compared to software sales. Its clear who is demostratively selling games in Japan for the last year by Media Create top 10 lists alone. The titles selling havent been appearing in large part on any console other than DS.
This is true, the PS2 titles that always appear seem to have a one week stay in the top 10 and are never seen again.

jarrod said:
Potential console million sellers for 2007 in Japan imo...

PlayStation 3
-Gundam Musou (Bandai Namco/Omega Force)
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami'Kojima Productions)
-Minna no Golf 5 (SCEI/Clap Hanz)
-Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)

Wii
-Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no Tou (Square Enix/Armor project/Genius Sonority/8ing)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
-Mario Party 8 (Nintendo/Hudson)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
-Super Smash Bros. X (Nintendo/Sora/HAL Laboratory)
-Wii Music (Nintendo)
-Yawaraka Atama Juku (Nintendo)

Wii (from 2006)
-Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)
-Wii Sports (Nintendo)

...the PS3 games really depend on how quick it can get userbase up though... those games could all quite easily top out around 500-800k depending on how the platform performs.

Its so disappointing that Zelda is not part of that list.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Scalemail Ted said:
Its so disappointing that Zelda is not part of that list.
Well, it's always seemed like Zelda isn't as big in Japan as it is in NA. Still it's holding in the top 20 in Japan.

PS2 Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - up to 200.000 (for the week, not first day, if all goes well through the weekend)
NDS Sangokushi Taisen - sold out (high popularity, arcade very popular but shops didn't ask for many units, half the target already sold first day)
NDS Wish Room: Tenshi no Kioku - better start than Another Code (good word of mouth)
NDS Picross DS - going to exceed 50.000 slighty first week
PS2 Pachinko Fuyu no Sonata - 80.000 cleared (?)
360 Idolmaster - similar numbers to Seikaiju no Meikyuu last week (20k?)

Good for Wish Room. Can we have more approx. numbers for Sangokushi Taisen and Wish Room ?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Good for Wish Room. Can we have more approx. numbers for Sangokushi Taisen and Wish Room ?
I couldn't find the usual first day sales, those are just sinobi's comments, so I guess we'll have to wait for the weekly data.

Btw, gamefront just posted some Famitsu numbers for some titles, since I was interested in Ryu ga Gotoku numbers, here they are. They cover up to 7th January...

- Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (PS2, Sega): 513.737 St.
Release: 07.12.06

- Ryu ga Gotoku ~PlayStation2 The Best~ (PS2, Sega): 308.387 St.
Release: 26.10.06

- Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 333.841 St.
Release: 02.12.06

- Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii, Nintendo): 165.977 St.
Release: 14.12.06

- Tetris DS (NDS, Nintendo): 1.011.285 St.
Release: 27.04.06

- Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology (PSP, Bandai Namco): 160.591 St.
Release: 21.12.06

Ryu ga Gotoku sold like 340-350k units in the original release, the budget re-release is really near! 650k RGG sold already, very good. Very good for the sequel too (at the original price)!

ziran

wazoo said:
It was also the case in 2002.
the big difference with nintendo this time round, and the real genius of their strategy, is they've managed to find a way of converting small resources into huge sellers.

wii sports, brain training, etc, are the new aaa, system sellers. while so many other developers have their resources tied up making a few massive budget ps3/360 games, nintendo can make at least 10 wii sports for every mgs, ff, dmc, etc, and this is a huge advantage, and one which wasn't there during the gc or n64 era.

obviously nothing is certain, and it certainly isn't over for ps3, but nintendo is already way above gc, and its strategy.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I couldn't find the usual first day sales, those are just sinobi's comments, so I guess we'll have to wait for the weekly data.

Btw, gamefront just posted some Famitsu numbers for some titles, since I was interested in Ryu ga Gotoku numbers, here they are. They cover up to 7th January...

- Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (PS2, Sega): 513.737 St.
Release: 07.12.06

- Ryu ga Gotoku ~PlayStation2 The Best~ (PS2, Sega): 308.387 St.
Release: 26.10.06

- Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 333.841 St.
Release: 02.12.06

- Pokemon Battle Revolution (Wii, Nintendo): 165.977 St.
Release: 14.12.06

- Tetris DS (NDS, Nintendo): 1.011.285 St.
Release: 27.04.06

- Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology (PSP, Bandai Namco): 160.591 St.
Release: 21.12.06

Ryu ga Gotoku sold like 340-350k units in the original release, the budget re-release is really near! 650k RGG sold already, very good. Very good for the sequel too (at the original price)!
500k is the new million seller for old gaming.

farnham

Banned
moku said:
So, is it tonight fro the numbers, or hints, or is it wednesday. I always forget.

in a perfect world

everyday... oricon daily charts(i miss those)

wednesday -> Famitsu
thursday -> software
friday -> hardware

Jammy

Banned
farnham said:
in a perfect world

wednesday -> Famitsu
thursday -> software
friday -> hardware

Wednesday night - Famitsu sales followed by Media Create software sales
Thursday night - Media Create hardware sales

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
farnham said:
in a perfect world

wednesday -> Famitsu
thursday -> software
friday -> hardware

Which translates to Wednesday night software, Thursday night hardware in the US.

Beaten.

Taurus

Someone care to explain this?

The company again stated that 2 million units of the PlayStation 3 had been shipped in the two months after launch, making it he fastest selling PlayStation platform so far. The exact total for the third quarter was put at 1.84 million consoles sold – 0.81 million in Japan and 1.03 million in North America. By comparison, the PlayStation 2 sold 4.11 million units during the period, down by 23 percent on the same time last year. The PSP saw sales drop even further, by 72 percent, to 1.76 million in total.

A new worldwide total for PlayStation 2 global sales was given as 115.36 million, with 24.76 million sold in Japan, 46.53 million in North America and 44.07 million in the rest of the world. The PSP’s worldwide userbase is put at 24.70 million by Sony, with 6.23 million sold in Japan, 9.58 million in North America and 8.89 million in the rest of the world.
Source

Compared to:

mediacreate.gif

(taken from the first post)

So what's the point with these numbers if they don't match. Actually they are not even close. For example Sony mentions 810k PS3's sold in Japan but Media-Create reports only 574k sold. That's 30% difference. What counts?

Jammy

Banned
PS3 is readily available and abundant in stores in Japan, and is fairly abundant here too. Sony has shipped a lot, but people just aren't buying them at a high rate. That's expected (especially at this time of the year) with the price, though.

Taurus said:
So what's the point with these numbers if they don't match. Actually they are not even close. For example Sony mentions 810k PS3's sold in Japan but Media-Create reports only 574k sold. That's 30% difference. What counts?
shipped =/= sold

Taurus

Mr. Pointy said:
shipped =/= sold
Well didn't they announce just few days ago that 1 million PS3s has been shipped to Japan? Now it's 810k which is also the same number as sold, but Media-Create says only less than 600k has been sold. Ok, I'm confused. :/

ilbambino

Taurus said:
Well didn't they announce just few days ago that 1 million PS3s has been shipped to Japan? Now it's 810k which is also the same number as sold, but Media-Create says only less than 600k has been sold. Ok, I'm confused. :/

The 1M was the amount of consoles shipped to Japan by Mid-January. The 3rd quarter ends on December 31.

Taurus

ilbambino said:
The 1M was the amount of consoles shipped to Japan by Mid-January. The 3rd quarter ends on December 31.
Alrighty then. So these numbers Sony speaks as sold are actually only shipped? Ok, one more question: How accurate are Media-Create's numbers? Just wanna have some order to this circus... :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Taurus said:
Alrighty then. So these numbers Sony speaks as sold are actually only shipped? Ok, one more question: How accurate are Media-Create's numbers? Just wanna have some order to this circus... :)

Go to their site, learn Japanese, and learn how they extrapolate their data. Accuracy is within the 10k's, I think. And don't get too caught up in the whole numbers thing. They're really just market indicators that show which way the audience is going. They're not meant for fanboy discussion, although they make great material. It's more for publishers and marketing companies to see where they've been successful..and where they haven't.

Taurus

PantherLotus said:
Go to their site, learn Japanese, and learn how they extrapolate their data. Accuracy is within the 10k's, I think. And don't get too caught up in the whole numbers thing. They're really just market indicators that show which way the audience is going. They're not meant for fanboy discussion, although they make great material. It's more for publishers and marketing companies to see where they've been successful..and where they haven't.
Thanks for a fast answer mate. I appreciate it. :)

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Jan 22-28:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/01/31/103,1170241875,66438,0,0.html

1. PS2 Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
2. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters
3. NDS Sangokushi Taisen
4. NDS Picross DS
5. Wii Wii Sports
6. NDS Hotel Dusk
7. NDS Wario Master of Disguise
8. NDS Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
9. PS2 Winter Pachinko 10
10. Wii Wii Play

Joker finally shows up once again. :)

Also, not bad for Hotel Dusk, curious about figures now.

Taurus said:
Someone care to explain this?

Source

Compared to:

mediacreate.gif

(taken from the first post)

They say "sold" although it's actually production shipments. And of course "Japan" isn't just Japan (just like "USA" isn't just USA), it includes countries like South Korea and a few other.

Wow @ the shinobi figures.

I'm surprised Hotel Dusk made top ten, much less #6.

Not knocking the game, but I didn't think it would be that popular.

And San Andreas is only releasing now? Must have been one hell of a translation process.....

ziran said:

3. NDS Sangokushi Taisen
4. NDS Picross DS
5. Wii Wii Sports
6. NDS Hotel Dusk
10. Wii Wii Play

bloke said:
From http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10024609962.html

PS2 GTASA ~200k
NDS DQMJ ~100k
NDS S Taisen ~80k
NDS Picross ~70k
NDS Hotel Dusk ~60k
360 Idolmaster ~25k

DSL ~200k
360 ~7k

Good for Hotel Dusk, and damn at Wii Sports and Wii Play. It seems like these two games are definitely here to stay...
Brain Training Scenario part 2 ? It may be really to early to say, but that's the feeling we can legitimately get, I think.

DSXBoy

ziran said:

3. NDS Sangokushi Taisen
4. NDS Picross DS
5. Wii Wii Sports
6. NDS Hotel Dusk
10. Wii Wii Play

Sony has a tough choice to make, kill off PS2 prematurely or let PS3 die a slow painful death. Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank, Wii & DSL console sales will continue to slap PSP/PS/PS3 sales. I predict that sales of Cooking Mama Wii will beat VF5 PS3.

:D

Top Bottom