• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

bud

Wii Sports is a good indicator (it has been so far) of how the Wii does every week. It sold 60k-70k, so Wii hardware numbers should be close to that right?

PS3 is probably <20k

Shiggy

cw_sasuke said:
joke right? for that kind of game it`s a good 6th place...

Well, concerning the quality I think the sales should be higher, but you're right, that's quite good for such a game. (just compare it to Another Code [105.452 up to December 25th 2005] or Glass Rose for PS2)

Bud said:
Wii Sports is a good indicator (it has been so far) of how the Wii does every week. It sold 60k-70k, so Wii hardware numbers should be close to that right?

PS3 is probably <20k

I agree. Wii Sports has an almost constant attach rate and we can estimate Wii's numbers easily. Sony has only thing to do to sell more PS3: cut the price. What ? I have said this already 10 times and more ?!? I will repeat it it forever if Sony doesn't low this damned price.

I think that 200k number could be a sign of Nintendo's, increase in production,taking affect. With what 2.5 million a month, we'd better prepare for some serious monsoon, after a 14 month long drought. I predict this year is gonna be even more insane for the DS than last. Just imagine, if they put out 1 million of the 2.5 a month, to Japan, thats a constant 250k a week. Oh boy, I hope they have increased game cartridge production too. We wouldn't want shortages of that too, remember a few months ago.

LoL Europe had cardboard game boxes, not enough plastic.

Parl

If Nintendo put out say 200k per month in Japan, that's like 869k DS per month in Japan. Seems like a decent amount for Japan out of the 2.5 million pie. Although holding units back for game releases needs to be factored into the equation.

So, I think it is safe to say that there is a clear trend on Japan now: Wii and DS. DS and Wii again.
Until something big comes out, this is the reality and it is incredible: Sony has sold 21 millions PS2 in Japan. Then arrived the DS and corrupted literally all japanese's brains. PS3's sales and its clear availabity are the proof that the market has changed drammatically in last 2 years.
It is not the change itself that scares me, but how much and how fast it changed and that a single handheld changed it. 10 years of Playstation's brand, with almost no market for Nintendo's home system anymore and then a unknown Nintendo DS came out and detroyed all with its passage. :O

And now that Wii is surfing on Nintendo DS's path, it seems that Sony is loosing the console market too, in Japan.

If I would have said that 2 years ago, people had answered me: "you foolish idiot".

I just cannot believe what I see.

Mmm, #6 for Hotel Dusk was a little dissapointing but it seems the top10 is going to pull very good numbers and 60k sounds very good for it. It'll easily achieve 100k like Another Code did, hopefully some more.

Glad to know that Z rating didn't kill GTA. Most likely it won't match Vice City but they don't deserve so after such a long delay! Hopefully Capcom will pick up GTA:LCS for PSP?

Dissapointing for me, easy, Enchant Arm (come on, just 15k for the first RPG on PS3? what a shame, its not from Idea Factory) and to some extent Sangokushi Taisen, but it seems SEGA (or maybe the shops like sinobi said) didn't expect it to do better. Good enough for idolm@ster. I'd like to know where is Seikaiju no Meikyuu by the way...

Very good for Picross but...the 2 best selling DS games this are from 3rd parties! Rejoice!

Eteric Rice

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, I think it is safe to say that there is a clear trend on Japan now: Wii and DS. DS and Wii again.
Until something big comes out, this is the reality and it is incredible: Sony has sold 21 millions PS2 in Japan. Then arrived the DS and corrupted literally all japanese's brains. PS3's sales and its clear availabity are the proof that the market has changed drammatically in last 2 years.
It is not the change itself that scares me, but how much and how fast it changed and that a single handheld changed it. 10 years of Playstation's brand, with almost no market for Nintendo's home system anymore and then a unknown Nintendo DS came out and detroyed all with its passage. :O

And now that Wii is surfing on Nintendo DS's path, it seems that Sony is loosing the console market too, in Japan.

If I would have said that 2 years ago, people had answered me: "you foolish idiot".

I just cannot believe what I see.

Yeah, it's like the dormant wrath of Nintendo was released through a small device with two screens.

What's even MORE crazy is the trend is expanding beyond Japan. Even in the US, games that normally wouldn't have been well recieved are getting very popular. It's absolutely crazy.

Hooray for Hotel Dusk charting at #6. This game definitely deserves to sell
so Nintendo can buy Cing
. And it's nice to see DQMJ with top 10 legs after the restock.

*cue 2 page Lapsed post about Blue Market and disruptive products*

But yeah, Nintendo really knew what they were doing this time around.

Bud said:
Yeah but VC's first week numbers weren't this high, right?

Can't remember, but probably not. What you have to understand though is that with the high VC sales, GTA sort of established itself as a recognisable brandname in Japan and thus I believe that's what has reflected in the high first week sales.

Pureauthor said:
*cue 2 page Lapsed post about Blue Market and disruptive products*

But yeah, Nintendo really knew what they were doing this time around.

What is the next thing we should expect ? I think that at GDC Miyamoto will present something absolutely crazy.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Looks like Nintendo are heading for great sales again this week. The software is also strong. What we see so regularly with DS software is the prolonged sales...it is a different pattern to that typical of PS2 software.

100k for DS during any week of the year is now just "solid". If the demand stays high and the new increase in production gets more units to Japan then the DSL could beat 2006's massive record hardware sales.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What is the next thing we should expect ? I think that at GDC Miyamoto will present something absolutely crazy.

Japanese Game Industry Success Training. Create kooky off-beat game consoles and watch your company's profits skyrocket! Money printer sold seperately.

Koren

Bud said:
It's even more bizarre that i t did ±200k in its first week :lol
Lots of advertisements for it in Japan...

I've seen four times a large truck in Tokyo's street on sunday, painted with ads for it (maybe four times the same one, but I went from Meguro to Shinjuku, so that would be a big coincidence...)

MrSardonic said:
Looks like Nintendo are heading for great sales again this week. The software is also strong. What we see so regularly with DS software is the prolonged sales...it is a different pattern to that typical of PS2 software.

100k for DS during any week of the year is now just "solid". If the demand stays high and the new increase in production gets more units to Japan then the DSL could beat 2006's massive record hardware sales.

In term of Software's sales, it is interesting to note that the biggest seller on Nintendo DS will not be a Nintendo's game, but Square-Enix's Dragon Quest IX. In fact, if we think really about that, Nintendo has not so many millions seller for Japan this year. perhaps that's because now the development has switched on Wii and they know that DS's Software of 2005-2006 are still selling like crazy (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Brain Training, ..).

Koren

BrodiemanTTR said:
Japanese Game Industry Success Training. Create kooky off-beat game consoles and watch your company's profits skyrocket! Money printer sold seperately.
Aka Nintendododo ? (Segagaga part II ;) )

And when do we get Fanboy training, featuring Gaming-age ? :lol

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In term of Software's sales, it is interesting to note that the biggest seller on Nintendo DS will not be a Nintendo's game, but Square-Enix's Dragon Quest IX. In fact, if we think really about that, Nintendo has not so many millions seller for Japan this year. perhaps that's because now the development has switched on Wii and they know that DS's Software of 2005-2006 are still selling like crazy (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Brain Training, ..).

I keep saying this, but that is intentional.

Nintendo always scales back development after a system is established and lets third parties take over once they "get" the hardware. It's not a coincidence. This is why the GameCube has such drought stretches, there were very few 3rd parties to fill in the gap between the Nintendo releases. The DS, (And from the looks of it, the Wii) will not suffer the same fate.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I will tell you right now:

There is no way DQIX will outsell Pokemon. And it will have an uphill struggle matching NSMB and AC:WW.

Pureauthor said:
I will tell you right now:

There is no way DQIX will outsell Pokemon. And it will have an uphill struggle matching NSMB and AC:WW.

I think what he was getting at was that for all releases this year, DQIX would probably be the highest selling of them all.

ethelred

Fantastic sales for DQMJ, Sangokushi Taisen, and Hotel Dusk. We all figured DQMJ would bounce back strongly after some of the supply issues got ironed out, but this is quite a strong rebound... if it pulls in a couple weeks like this, it'll go well past my mid-end 1.3-1.5 estimate.

As to Sango and HD, it's really nice to see them get off to good starts (especially Sangokushi, if it did have a low order). Sega's been on a real roll lately on the DS, between L&B, Shiren, and now this.

I'm hoping Sekaiju pulled in good second week sales, though.

ethelred said:
We all figured DQMJ would bounce back strongly after some of the supply issues got ironed out, but this is quite a strong rebound... if it pulls in a couple weeks like this, it'll go well past my mid-end 1.3-1.5 estimate.

And if that happens, should put it past DQM2 and considering the steep decline that DQM:CH brought about, that's a massive and impressive rebound for the series in general, S-E should be happy and this bodes well for DQIX.

ethelred said:
Sega's been on a real roll lately on the DS, between L&B, Shiren, and now this.

Not to mention they've enjoyed great sales for Yakuza(Best) and Yakuza 2. Yeah, SEGA is indeed on a roll. I guess retailers would order more copies of Sangokushi Taisen, but either way, they should be impressed.

ethelred said:
I'm hoping Sekaiju pulled in good second week sales, though.

Yeah, considering this is like a high sales week, there's still hope that it pulled in another 20 or so thousand copies. Atlus, eitherway massively underestimated demand, though.

ethelred said:
I think you meant to say that once Virtua Fighter 5 comes out, it'll all turn around.
You hope too much from a single game, but I agree that a nice boost is more then likely. But what the PS3 need in Japan is a price cut and FFXIII or MGS4 or DMC4 in short time. And this is not the case: that's why I'm worried. What BIG games will come for PS3 this year ? And with "BIG", I mean millions sellers, considering the userbase of end 2007 (of course a million-seller now is impossible :D ).

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
You hope too much from a single game, but I agree that a nice boost is more then likely. But what the PS3 need in Japan is a price cut and FFXIII or MGS4 or DMC4 in short time. And this is not the case: that's why I'm worried. What BIG games will come for PS3 this year ? And with "BIG", I mean millions sellers, considering the userbase of end 2007 (of course a million-seller now is impossible :D ).

Oh Mithos, such innocence....

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
And if that happens, should put it past DQM2 and considering the steep decline that DQM:CH brought about, that's a massive and impressive rebound for the series in general, S-E should be happy and this bodes well for DQIX.

Yeah. Depending upon how the game performs over the next two weeks, we could be looking at the possibility of this reaching DQM1 territory, and I believe that was the most successful game in the series aside from the main games (DQI-VIII), including the remakes.

It's a huge turnaround no matter what happens, though -- to increase over its predecessor by over 40% as a baseline.

Magicpaint said:
Yeah, considering this is like a high sales week, there's still hope that it pulled in another 20 or so thousand copies. Atlus, eitherway massively underestimated demand, though.

duckroll said:
Fat chance. I hear the employees at Atlus are packing up and getting ready to leave for good any time now.

Yes, Atlus massively underestimated demand... ducky's bitterness confirms this for us. :lol

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Um, no. Virtua Fighter 5 is going to turn around the PS3's performance, and I think once it comes out you're going to see a steep decline in Wii sales.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
duckroll, you still haven't been able to find a copy, have you?

Have you seen it around? I sure haven't.

Anyway as expected even negative reviews can't hurt Sangokushi Taisen's sales, over 80k is a great start and another sign that Sega knows what they're doing in Japan right now.

Top Bottom