• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2015 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

Here's a comparison between first week sales of Mysterious Dungeon games from 2006 to 2015 (Media Create numbers):

2006:
Shounen Yangus (PS2) - 127,502
Shiren DS (DS) - 88,242

2007:
Pokemon Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness (DS) - 568,888
Chocobo Dungeon (Wii) - 40,580

2008:
Shiren 3 (Wii) - 59,283
Shiren DS2 (DS) - 45,327
Chocobo Dungeon+ (DS) - 26,190

2009:
POkemon Dungeon Explorers of Sky (DS) - 141,771

2010:
Shiren 4 (DS) - 40,703
Shiren 5 (DS) - 25,192
Shiren 3 Portable (PSP) - 10,227

2012:
Pokemon Dungeon Gates to Infinity (3DS) - 121,480
Shiren 4 (PSP) - 6,368

2015:
Etrian Mysterious Dungeon (3DS) - 65,226

I didn't know Shiren was such a dead series like that. EMD opening well all things considered.

Vena

Here's the weekly graphical update on the handhelds. I'm keeping data for eight weeks at a time as that seems like a good, round number and is 2^3 which we all like as a mathematical power formula.

gPEkuE6.png
p7mtGWv.png
CGc0Iv1.png

The 3DS's continued consistency continues.

So Game Freak's game with Sega is a downloadable title for PC/PS4/XB1.

It seems they decided to focus on branching out more into the Western market than focusing domestically (where it'd presumably be 3DS or mobile).

Solitiba? The game they released for Android last year? Or is this another game?
Traitors!

Oh no, nevermind, I found out what titles it was.

3DS is quite consistent this year. It should hold better during Golden Week and then let's see which plans Nintendo has to launch the NFC connector in Summer.

Good hold by PS4, hope it goes up next week for Yakuza.

Hoping to see Yakuza do much better than Issin but it's hard to say. Not sure if Yakuza 0 will sell more like a mainline or a spinoff.

hiska-kun

Good hold by PS4, hope it goes up next week for Yakuza.

Hoping to see Yakuza do much better than Issin but it's hard to say. Not sure if Yakuza 0 will sell more like a mainline or a spinoff.

Tsutaya's reports are being pretty accurate.

Tsutaya's Report

- Dragon Quest Heroes for PS3 tops the charts as it was expected. The first half of the week there were stock problems, but for the second half a new shipment arrived.
- Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) debuted on the second spot and was sold out at many places. With enough stock the game could've topped the charts.

For the next week:

- Yakuza 0 for PS3 and PS4 should be first and second respectively. More pre-orders than Yakuza Isshin, a bigger opening is expected.
- Mario Party 10 (WiiU) should follow, now that the commercials are running the interest is growing. Attention for Digimon Cyber Sleuth (PSV) too.

http://mantan-web.jp/2015/03/10/2015...c.html?mode=pc

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=155338840

Most recent outputs, as I wrote. Prince of Tennis average opening of the most recent entries is not 45k, but lower. The 3DS entry seems to have opened well considering recent entries. Not as well as the latest entry, but a good result nonetheless.

so from today we use the "average opening" for all games, ok

AniHawk

ps4 down yoy. wonder how sony pulls themselves out of this freefall. xb1 on the other hand is doing a lot better than a few weeks ago. you really have to commend microsoft for sticking to their guns.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure why but kinda worried about Yakuza 0.

The series performs well but isn't really a grower. Feel like its lost some buzz and is in slow decline! :(

ps4 down yoy. wonder how sony pulls themselves out of this freefall. xb1 on the other hand is doing a lot better than a few weeks ago. you really have to commend microsoft for sticking to their guns.

Hey at least Xbox One is still selling in 3-digits ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well you see when Legend of Legacy defines the correct strategy for an industry, sub-50K is a pretty big deal.

Not sure if serious.

The series performs well but isn't really a grower. Feel like its lost some buzz and is in slow decline! :(

Expect it to do better than Ishin but not as well as the other mainline entries.

Ishin : 395k
Y5 : 550k

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Not really, its more that people felt that the splitting of the characters into a multiple protagonist game diluted things a bit which caused some fans to back off. While others did enjoy it.

Considering that Zero has the 2 series favorites, excluding Akiyama am sure it will do just fine. Plus the demo gave a pretty good idea what to expect. Also anyone can pick up the title as it is a prequel to the whole series in general. Where as the later ones its harder for new fans to go buying their way into the series.

Am sure after Zero sales of the 1 & 2 HD collection on the PS3 will go up, with the newly found fans being curious about the other titles. Do wish / hope that they do a PS4 port of the 1 & 2 HD collection. Truthfully they should have done it already in preparation for Zeros release. A bit of a lost opportunity there. Not to mention could have tied it in with a US release of Zero if they decided to do one.

monpiece

Banned
So everything according to expectations except the over-performance of EOMD. PS4 is looking like its going to slip back down just as the WiiU did last year, the WiiU is... doing stuff, and the Vita is doing some solid numbers for itself with no big (?) releases.

By the way, is EOMD overperformance a real thing? Other entries except the first and the last sold around 90k in the first week, now we have an undershipped version that sold 65k. If it had been shipped accordingly, it could have sold in the 80k-100k range, which should be the expected for the series.

Unless we are talking about those people that want to see trends everywhere, I'd say the expected for any EO title would be around 90k FW.

By the way, is EOMD overperformance a real thing? Other entries except the first and the last sold around 90k in the first week, now we have an undershipped version that sold 65k. If it had been shipped accordingly, it could have sold in the 80k-100k range, which should be the expected for the series.

Unless we are talking about those people that want to see trends everywhere, I'd say the expected for any EO title would be around 90k FW.

EOMD is a spin-off.

monpiece

Banned
EOMD is a spin-off.

And? Is there any law that says spin-offs have to sell less than an entry in the series? If fans perceive the game as an Etrian Odyssey game, why wouldn't they buy it? Especially in a series where there is nothing distinctive by the gameplay.

And? Is there any law that says spin-offs have to sell less than an entry in the series? If fans perceive the game as an Etrian Odyssey game, why wouldn't they buy it? Especially in a series where there is nothing distinctive by the gameplay.

Generally, spin-offs sell less than mainline entries. It's not a law, but it's reasonable as long spin-offs differ in story, characters and / or gameplay. Also, I do think EO gameplay is quite distinctive and it's the main reason why it's successful.

duckroll

?????????

Nothing in that statement makes any sense. I'm sorry. Can't even respond to that. This is an EO themed Mysterious Dungeon game. It's more MD than EO. Like how Persona Q is a Persona themed EO game.

DNAbro

So everything according to expectations except the over-performance of EOMD. PS4 is looking like its going to slip back down just as the WiiU did last year, the WiiU is... doing stuff, and the Vita is doing some solid numbers for itself with no big (?) releases.

PS4 still has games coming though.

monpiece

Banned
?????????

Nothing in that statement makes any sense. I'm sorry. Can't even respond to that. This is an EO themed Mysterious Dungeon game. It's more MD than EO. Like how Persona Q is a Persona themed EO game.

Don't know how much of the gameplay is from EO and how much is from MD. Even so, you take Persona Q sales and you quickly realize that despite the gameplay being mostly based on EO, its sales and appeal was mostly for Persona fans, so there is nothing that prevents EOMD of doing the same to EO fans.

Don't know how much of the gameplay is from EO and how much is from MD. Even so, you take Persona Q sales and you quickly realize that despite the gameplay being mostly based on EO, its sales and appeal was mostly for Persona fans, so there is nothing that prevents EOMD of doing the same to EO fans.

PQ sold less than P4 and P4G, though.

Spin-offs generally sell less than mainline entries.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's pretty unusual for a spin-off of a popular IP (especially with a different gameplay mechanic) to do more than the original series, especially if that series is still even remotely relevant.

I mean it does happen. Starsiege: Tribes (an FPS spin-off of mech sim Starsiege) and World of Warcraft (an MMO spin-off of RTS series Warcraft) are two examples, but they're rather exceptional.

When we're talking about cross-overs in specific, at that point we're looking at the game it actually plays like as the sales baseline and then the brand power of the other as the sales modifier unless it plays like neither.

duckroll

Okay... and that... supports the points being made. The reason EOMD managed to sell 65k is because the sales and appeal is mostly for EO. If not, it would sell jack shit like Shiren games in the last few years. Persona Q opened with sub-200k even though Persona 4 and Persona 3 Portable opened at over 200k. But it is still higher than EO's usual results. Exact same scenario...

Oregano

Lol that Dragon Quest Heroes game sure is bomb only selling a quarter of DQIX.

Or to put it another way you can name franchises whose spinoff sell as well as mainline on one hand. Senran Kagura is the only one I can name off the top of my head.

It's pretty unusual for a spin-off of a popular IP (especially with a different gameplay mechanic) to do more than the original series, especially if that series is still even remotely relevant.

I mean it does happen. Starsiege: Tribes (an FPS spin-off of mech sim Starsiege) and World of Warcraft (an MMO spin-off of RTS series Warcraft) are two examples, but they're rather exceptional.

When we're talking about cross-overs in specific, at that point we're looking at the game it actually plays like as the sales baseline and then the brand power of the other as the sales modifier unless it plays like neither.

Mario -> Mario Kart

Nintendo has mastered that art.

Opiate

In seriousness, it is true that our comparisons are all relative, and we often lose sight of the larger picture (as AniHawk has deliberately done here).

Discussions of Vita or Wii U showing "signs of life" are almost entirely couched in a comparatively depressed market, where no consoles are doing particularly well. Yes, in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One, the Wii U is doing okay-ish. Still has the largest sales overall, but really, all of them are doing poorly. Similary, the Vita would be considered a dead system last generation. Lastly, and most importantly, we all essentially ignore the mobile elephant in the room as much as possible, unless someone like me annoying brings up again how rapidly that market is gaining momentum.

I'm not saying that those other frames of reference are necessarily the correct one, but I'm not sure our standard frame of reference is the right one, either.

monpiece

Banned
Lol that Dragon Quest Heroes game sure is bomb only selling a quarter of DQIX.

Or to put it another way you can name franchises whose spinoff sell as well as mainline on one hand. Senran Kagura is the only one I can name off the top of my head.

Lol, Dragon Quest Heroes will sell five or six times the last mainline Musou game, so I think we can expect Samurai Warriors 5, or 4-3, or 4-2 or whatever to break the 1 million mark easily because we had to expect numbers like Samurai Warriors for Dragon Quest Heroes.

There are differences between each of the spin-offs, and spin-offs can sell close to traditional games from the franchise (like Persona, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Danganronpa), much less or even more, like Senran Kagura.

If you don't know what people who bought EOMD expected, you can't make assumptions like you did. The fact that most people here were talking about EOMD as EO despite being a spin-off, and DQH as a Musou that should sell in line with other Musou crossovers from famous franchises already shows how your comparison was silly.

In seriousness, it is true that our comparisons are all relative, and we often lose sight of the larger picture (as AniHawk has deliberately done here).

Discussions of Vita or Wii U showing "signs of life" are almost entirely couched in a comparatively depressed market, where no consoles are doing particularly well. Yes, in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One, the Wii U is doing okay-ish. Still has the largest sales overall, but really, all of them are doing poorly. Similary, the Vita would be considered a dead system last generation. Lastly, and most importantly, we all essentially ignore the mobile elephant in the room as much as possible, unless someone like me annoying brings up again how rapidly that market is gaining momentum.

I'm not saying that those other frames of reference are necessarily the correct one, but I'm not sure our standard frame of reference is the right one, either.
Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(Today, 11:22 PM)

does anyone actually say this in Media Create threads any more

(even the former doesn't show up much, since it's obvious Vita is in decline)

omonimo

Banned

In all honesty, I though he just trolling.

monpiece

Banned
You should take your own advice because it sounds like you're the one who doesn't know anything about the game.

Do you know what were the expectations of EO fans in regards to EOMD, and the expectations of people who bought EOMD, if they were going for a MD game or a game from EO IP? If you know, please, do share what you know with us.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If you don't know what people who bought EOMD expected, you can't make assumptions like you did. The fact that most people here were talking about EOMD as EO despite being a spin-off, and DQH as a Musou that should sell in line with other Musou crossovers from famous franchises already shows how your comparison was silly.

Of course they are going to talk about it like an EO title, since how the hell else do you expect them to discuss it? Considering most of the mechanics for character advancement is there along with the general town mechanics its little wonder why the EO side of things takes point over the mystery dungeon part.

That and the EO related aspects of the game is what the fans want to know due to it being what is familiar to them vs. talking about the mystery dungeon designs which is not a topic many users would be able to jump into. Since it seems that a lot of the EO community here on GAF is unfamiliar with those types of games. Outside of perhaps some basic idea from something they viewed before.

Seriously Im trying to figure out what in the name of Jesus H. Christ you are going on about as duckroll said you are not making sense.

Top Bottom