• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

MANUELF

Banned
Oh god all those PS4 MH hopefuls are like some Nintendo fans wanting an exclusive AAA FPS from a third party, it has no sense to be made because the market is not there

Oregano

Oh god all those PS4 MH hopefuls are like some Nintendo fans wanting an exclusive AAA FPS from a third party, it has no sense to be made because the market is not there

That comparison would make sense if a third party had talked about how their AAA FPS was held back by only being on PS4/XBO.

Point was comparing Tokiden's western performance to MH and then trying to form something indicative from it is nonsensical considering the gulf in brand awareness. I used a nonsensical comparison as well to highlight this.

wanting an exclusive AAA FPS from a third party

Did said third party highlight how western sales on the current platform were relatively inadequate and that they wish to grow such sales, while in the same report predicting LTD sales of possible platforms with better penetration in said markets?

Yes but brand power to whom. What makes you I or anyone think there's a substantial amount fanbase on the PS4 for MH. It's game that has never really existed in the west on consoles. There's no positive precedent either for the brand or similar games. Even the further away comparisons cap out at what MH currently sells and they have long establish fanbases on those platform.

The fact a competitor gameplay wise bombs massively does not lead to much credence that there's a deep thirst for ground up hunting action games on the PS4. That means it's selling entirely on it's brand that has never historically even existed on the platform.
I'm not arguing whether MH on PS4 has a substantial fanbase or not. I have no clue. I'm saying Toukiden doesn't tell us the answer one way or the other. MH succeeding or flopping (or doing decent, okay, etc...) on PS4 would tell us that.

The ways people will go to stop a PS4 version of MH despite Capcom basically stralth announced something MH related for PS4 is impressive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not arguing whether MH on PS4 has a substantial fanbase or not. I have no clue. I'm saying Toukiden doesn't tell us the answer one way or the other. MH succeeding or flopping (or doing decent, okay, etc...) on PS4 would tell us that.

How do you think these sorts of business decisions are made. When your throwing in 10+ million (likely a lot more depending on how ambitious the project is) on a project your not going to go well we don't know how this is going to work out and we'll only know after we've potentially made large losses and thrown are companies breadth and butter revenue source down the gutter. Research including looking at games like Toukiden would have to inform your decision if your going to have a fighting chance of not cocking it up. At great risks and minimal information even data points like this would be worthwhile to you even if you were planning on going ahead.

Rolf NB

How do you think these sorts of business decisions are made. When your throwing in 10+ million (likely a lot more depending on how ambitious the project is) on a project your not going to go well we don't know how this is going to work out and we'll only know after we've potentially made large losses and thrown are companies breadth and butter revenue source down the gutter. Research including looking at games like Toukiden would have to inform your decision if your going to have a fighting chance of not cocking it up. At great risks and minimal information even data points like this would be worthwhile to you even if you were planning on going ahead.
And yet, by that same logic, there's no way they'll make a Switch exclusive game.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So what do people think of Senran Kagura's first week sales? It seems like it did worse than the mainline games, but it did do better than some other titles in terms of first week sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Double Cross could catch retailers out of guard next weeks if they aren't prepared with shipments. Second week showed a strong hold and Golden Week isn't far. It's heading for a better LTD than what opening was suggesting, maybe close to 2m.

Mory Dunz

oh mh talk again...

just put it on Switch, PS4, Xbox and PC.

there, everyone wins. Next.

I... don't think this is a good comparison.

First, Smash pretty much defined the genre worldwide long before PAS ever even began being made or formulated as an idea. So PAS bombing would have zero relevance to a franchise that already had worldwide appeal and repeated success. Second, one of these has Pokemon/Mario/Shulk, one of them doesn't. The brands PAS was trying to leverage are orders of magnitude less relevant than just having Pikachu on your roster.

Let's not lose our heads here though

Rolf NB

What logic I'm talking research data qualifiers. Interpretation is another question entirely.
Committing in absence of empirical data about what you're going to do is a risk of, your words "throwing [your] bread and butter revenue source down the gutter". With that choice of words, I thought you were arguing anit-risk.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Committing in absence of empirical data about what you're going to do is a risk of, your words "throwing [your] bread and butter revenue source down the gutter". With that choice of words, I thought you were arguing anit-risk.

My point was the importance of data points in the lack of impirical data and there's already a fair bit of data from polls and Japanese retailers about switch owners including people interested in MH. The fact your making this argument at all is kind of odd. Nintendo's handheld and console received a MH game last gen.

Eolz

So what do people think of Senran Kagura's first week sales? It seems like it did worse than the mainline games, but it did do better than some other titles in terms of first week sales.

Speaking about this, Takaki announced 320k copies sold for EV between PS4 and Vita WW, with more copies sold on Vita. https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/845825842655637505

FW is decent, but depends on Marvelous' expectations obviously. They seem happy with it (unlike what happened with SK2 sadly).

Double Cross could catch retailers out of guard next weeks if they aren't prepared with shipments. Second week showed a strong hold and Golden Week isn't far. It's heading for a better LTD than what opening was suggesting, maybe close to 2m.
This. MH may not have the legs it had during the PSP days, but history suggests it'll still do around double its FW at the end.

L~A

I don't know how are we going to manage up to 6 more months of MH speculation

6 months?

bojsng.png

More seriously: Mario Sports Superstars is out this week in Japan. It's... I don't think it's going to do really well. Curious to see how that one will perform. Oh, and also the first Switch retail game since launch (Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13)... yeah, no need to wonder how that one is going to do.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE APRIL 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Mar 27 to Apr 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 230.000
[PS4 + PSV] Musou Stars (32 days) - 100.000
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (11 days) - 225.000
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (4 days) - 70.000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3 days) - 255.000

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
6 months?

More seriously: Mario Sports Superstars is out this week in Japan. It's... I don't think it's going to do really well. Curious to see how that one will perform. Oh, and also the first Switch retail game since launch (Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13)... yeah, no need to wonder how that one is going to do.

And that's how Switch's support from Koei Tecmo ended :(

Seriously now, it's a later port (1 month and a half) of a game that sold this much in its debut week (Famitsu)

[PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.16} (¥9.800) - 9.752 / NEW <60-80%>
[PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.16} (¥9.800) - 2.430 / NEW <40-60%>

So, I doubt they're so worried about its performance that it will decide how they'll support it in the future.
Actually, strangely enough, Nobunaga's Ambition (the launch title) had a "fine" debut going with Dengeki's 2,000 copies, considering the context

PS3 Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 20.483 20.483 Koei Tecmo 12/11/2014
PSV Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 5.021 9.360 Koei Tecmo 5/28/2015
PS4 Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 6.644 6.644 Koei Tecmo 12/11/2014

I.e. a port of a 2 years+ old game with some new content (DLCs) included the original release of which topped 20,000 copies sold at debut while the more "recent" version debuted with 5,000 copies. That's why I said it would've been a miracle for the game selling 5,000 copies in its debut week.

Datschge

Not sure if this letter is real or not, but apparently Dingo, the developer of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva series on PSP, Photo Kano and most recently Reco Love, are bankrupt. Their official website is inaccessible since days ago.
They had only 51 employees as of July last year and did quite a lot of games for that. Always sad to see small developers go.

Not sure if this letter is real or not, but apparently Dingo, the developer of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva series on PSP, Photo Kano and most recently Reco Love, are bankrupt. Their official website is inaccessible since days ago.
http://dingo.co.jp/

Takao just mentioned this 3 days ago, weird.

Seriously now, it's a later port (1 month and a half) of a game that sold this much in its debut week (Famitsu)

They've announced a Vita version of this coming in May. That's despite the fact that RoTTK XII on Vita sold a total of 17k across 3 SKU's. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

KtSlime

[PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.16} (¥9.800) - 9.752 / NEW <60-80%>
[PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.16} (¥9.800) - 2.430 / NEW <40-60%>

So, I doubt they're so worried about its performance that it will decide how they'll support it in the future.
Actually, strangely enough, Nobunaga's Ambition (the launch title) had a "fine" debut going with Dengeki's 2,000 copies, considering the context

PS3 Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 20.483 20.483 Koei Tecmo 12/11/2014
PSV Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 5.021 9.360 Koei Tecmo 5/28/2015
PS4 Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit 6.644 6.644 Koei Tecmo 12/11/2014

I.e. a port of a 2 years+ old game with some new content (DLCs) included the original release of which topped 20,000 copies sold at debut while the more "recent" version debuted with 5,000 copies. That's why I said it would've been a miracle for the game selling 5,000 copies in its debut week.

I've never played any of the Koei battle games (outside the warriors series). How is Nobunaga? Is it a pretty good war simulator, pretty accurate historically? Or is it more like Warriors with strategy gameplay?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/nis-announces-hakoniwa-company-works-ps4

NIS' Minecraft clone is PS4 exclusive.

Left without comment.

Actually, we don't know yet if it's only PS4. Not on Vita for sure, but if the leak comes from Dengeki PlayStation, it could still be on Switch as well, but of course DPS won't tell you that (something similar happened with Kamen Rider: Battride Wars II: announced on Dengeki PS for PS3, then it was revealed it was coming to Wii U too).

Actually, we don't know yet if it's only PS4. Not on Vita for sure, but if the leak comes from Dengeki PlayStation, it could still be on Switch as well, but of course DPS won't tell you that (something similar happened with Kamen Rider: Battride Wars II: announced on Dengeki PS for PS3, then it was revealed it was coming to Wii U too).

Let's hope so. I know they only seem interested in western money these days but it would be completely bone-headed to make this a PS4-only title.

Top Bottom