• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

guek

Banned
Well at least vita is doing surprisingly well in NA. It's only been on the market for a little over two months though, and with nothing on the horizon for awhile...

jman2050

Well at least vita is doing surprisingly well in NA. It's only been on the market for a little over two months though, and with nothing on the horizon for awhile...

Only compared to its abysmally low expectations.

Not like the 3DS is setting the world on fire in NA right now either.

hongcha

They need to get the ps1 classics on the system - it may not help their packaged software sales but it'll help move more systems in Japan and they need that right now. What are they waiting for?

They need to get the ps1 classics on the system - it may not help their packaged software sales but it'll help move more systems in Japan and they need that right now. What are they waiting for?

Will it really?
I mean, why wouldn't people just buy a PSP for that?

guek

Banned
Only compared to its abysmally low expectations.

Not like the 3DS is setting the world on fire in NA right now either.

Yeah, that's why I said "surprisingly" well :p

Dunno what nintendo is thinking with 3DS in NA. Sometimes it seems like they have tunnel vision and are too preoccupied with conquering japan, ignoring other vital territories.

Dunno what nintendo is thinking with 3DS in NA. Sometimes it seems like they have tunnel vision and are too preoccupied with conquering japan, ignoring other vital territories.

E3 will tell us all we need to know on that front (IE: They need to announce Fire Emblem and some good third party games for the thing).

jman2050

Need time to build up a library honestly. It's still far outperforming what the DS did in its initial years.

I guess that's really what it boils down to. Nintendo can easily build up its portable library by themselves with no issues. Sony can't even begin to approach that ability.

hongcha

Will it really?

Well they would right now. But make the games playable on both consoles and maybe they'd spring for the Vita instead - its screen is bigger and so much nicer. I'd certainly rather play all my PS1 and PC Engine stuff on my vita instead of my psp, if I could.

Anyway, it's certainly worth a try!

guek

Banned
Need time to build up a library honestly. It's still far outperforming what the DS did in its initial years.

I guess that's really what it boils down to. Nintendo can easily build up its portable library by themselves with no issues. Sony can't even begin to approach that ability.

Yeah I agree.

Anywho, any word on how FE is doing?

Dalthien

I was surprised that so many people seemed to have such low expectations for Vita in March. The 1st week of March NPD was still technically within launch week for Vita. The first couple weeks of March were going to be decent numbers regardless. So there really was no way that it was going to come in somewhere ridiculously low like 100k or anything like that.

I was expecting around 175k, so it still beat my expectations, but so many people seemed to be expecting something so much lower. But it wasn't a typical month where sales were pretty average week after week. Sales would have been pretty high in week 1, dropping steadily to a pretty low number in week 5. The average ended up ~40k per week. So the more interesting question is how high did week 1 start at, and how low did week 5 end up at? The week 5 figure would be far more indicative of what to expect in April, and we know that it was well below 40k by week 5. We just don't know how much lower.

guek

Banned
I was surprised that so many people seemed to have such low expectations for Vita in March. The 1st week of March NPD was still technically within launch week for Vita. The first couple weeks of March were going to be decent numbers regardless. So there really was no way that it was going to come in somewhere ridiculously low like 100k or anything like that.

I was expecting around 175k, so it still beat my expectations, but so many people seemed to be expecting something so much lower. But it wasn't a typical month where sales were pretty average week after week. Sales would have been pretty high in week 1, dropping steadily to a pretty low number in week 5. The average ended up ~40k per week. So the more interesting question is how high did week 1 start at, and how low did week 5 end up at? The week 5 figure would be far more indicative of what to expect in April, and we know that it was well below 40k by week 5. We just don't know how much lower.

Yeah, I never expected it to be on the other side of 150k but rather closer to 180 or 190k. I was only off by about 20-30k though :p

extralite

How much did it do exactly? I keep checking the NPD thread but the OP hasn't been updated with Vita numbers yet.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
E3 will tell us all we need to know on that front (IE: They need to announce Fire Emblem and some good third party games for the thing).

Fire Emblem won't have any effect on the 3DS in America at all, seriously.

Celine

jmJtIMEAlO4DR.jpg
Embarrassing.

3DS still has Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Mario Tennis. All of which will probably be out this year (as well as the 2D Mario game that they've promised will come this year).

That doesn't include anything that they will announce for the system at E3. I'm guessing we'll see the first 3DS Zelda and maybe some big western developed games.

The 3DS might not outsell the DS but it's gonna dominate the Vita much more than the DS dominated the PSP. The thing is practically dead on arrival. At least the PSP had momentum and hype and it wasn't late to the game, none of which the Vita has, and it's only gonna get worse.

3DS still has Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Tomodachi Collection, Brain Training, and Mario Tennis. All of which will probably be out this year (as well as the 2D Mario game that they've promised will come this year).

That doesn't include anything that they will announce for the system at E3. I'm guessing we'll see the first 3DS Zelda and maybe some big western developed games.

Fixed.

Not to mention potential 3rd party games for 2012, like Bravely Default, MonHun4, Project X Zone, & Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, you're all forgetting the game which will sell gazillions of 3DS.

Senran Kagura: Burst. Your ignorance is UNACCEPPTABLE!!!!!1111!!!!

Seriously...where is God Eater 2? The last time we've had infos about it has been months ago, right?

liger05

The 3DS might not outsell the DS but it's gonna dominate the Vita much more than the DS dominated the PSP. The thing is practically dead on arrival. At least the PSP had momentum and hype and it wasn't late to the game, none of which the Vita has, and it's only gonna get worse.

Many people thought the Vita would be a lot closer to the 3DS than the battle last time around but the vita is just getting destroyed and Nintendo are not going to let up. It's only going to get worse.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That graph really hammers home the scale of the problem, and how Sony's decision to launch first in Japan has made things harder with the PSP being a lot healthier (and cheaper). Vita is competing on 2 fronts there, and wasn't really worth missing Christmas in the West with a far more Western suited line-up for this.

The drop-off in hardware sales for April in the West could be quite dramatic as well, once the front-loading of the launch is out of the way. Software sales will do the same if so, and the size of the launch line-up means a lot of titles must have pitiful numbers.

At least there is signs of facing up to the realty of the situation in Japan with the appearance of the MonHun clone and the hyping they are doing around it though. Art looks nice as well, although how far away it is from release is the big question.

That graph really hammers home the scale of the problem, and how Sony's decision to launch first in Japan has made things harder with the PSP being a lot healthier (and cheaper). Vita is competing on 2 fronts there, and wasn't really worth missing Christmas in the West with a far more Western suited line-up for this.

The drop-off in hardware sales for April in the West could be quite dramatic as well, once the front-loading of the launch is out of the way. Software sales will do the same if so, and the size of the launch line-up means a lot of titles must have pitiful numbers.

At least there is signs of facing up to the realty of the situation in Japan with the appearance of the MonHun clone and the hyping they are doing around it though. Art looks nice as well, although how far away it is from release is the big question.

This is my problem.
Are they just announcing it now to make it look like they're doing something? I mean, if it's almost a year away, it's not going to help a damn thing.

1-D_FTW

Holy shit, those DD sales better be high as fuck cause otherwise Vita really will be doomed soon enough. :(

This isn't Steam though. Does anyone really think people are buying DD for almost no discount and then placing them on expensive proprietary memory? I have no doubt there's a small group with lots of money that does it for convenience, but they're an extreme minority.

test_account

XP-39C²
This isn't Steam though. Does anyone really think people are buying DD for almost no discount and then placing them on expensive proprietary memory? I have no doubt there's a small group with lots of money that does it for convenience, but they're an extreme minority.
About 20k-30k of the sales of Gravity Daze were sold through PS Store. That is about 20%-30% of how much the game sold in total. No idea how the general picture is though.

I do wonder how successful even a first-party Monster Hunter clone - assuming that's what it is - would be, though. The only examples of MH clones we have were on the PSP, and my experience of cloned titles on other platforms suggests they typically do best where the original games are, rather than on a competing platform.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I do wonder how successful even a first-party Monster Hunter clone - assuming that's what it is - would be, though. The only examples of MH clones we have were on the PSP, and my experience of cloned titles on other platforms suggests they typically do best where the original games are, rather than on a competing platform.

Agreed, there's a lot of questions but that goes for Vita in general.

Can't hurt though, and the degree of attention they are giving it already is promising. The art as well, a 1st party game can have a lot of weight thrown behind it. I do think there might be a 2013 PSO2 moment coming in the smallprint soon though.

Which would be back to square 1 for the time being.

Bento

Do you really believe this? 3DS and Vita will likely get little outside of the occasional lazy port and shovelware from the West. I'm however hoping for some smaller quality titles along the lines of Clash of Heroes and Henry Hatsworth.

I think the game went under development well before PSVita was released.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the game went under development well before PSVita was released.

Not so sure, it does seem a response to the MH shaped hole in the Vita's line-up.

And I honestly think the Nintendo/Capcom deal took Sony by surprise, considering how much they had been talking about MH and Vita before that. It depends how close to MH it actually turns out to be, but I don't think they were developing a first party rival while assuming MH was going to be on it anyway.

BurntPork

Banned
Err, it's doing worse than 3DS did. If 3DS weren't doing so poorly right now, it would look even worse.

Will it really?

Because having one machine that will play all PS1 , PSP and new gen games is better?

What Sony really needs for Japan is UMD drive that would attach to that expansion port - blocking rear touch panel wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Err, it's doing worse than 3DS did. If 3DS weren't doing so poorly right now, it would look even worse.

If March hadn't been 5 weeks following launch week it also would have looked worse. It'll be around 80K in April and if that number gets public somehow we'll have one of the busier NPD threads in a long time. I'm thinking weekly in March was 80K, 50K, 35K, 25K, 20K and we'll see 20K a week in April.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If March hadn't been 5 weeks following launch week it also would have looked worse. It'll be around 80K in April and if that number gets public somehow we'll have one of the busier NPD threads in a long time. I'm thinking weekly in March was 80K, 50K, 35K, 25K, 20K and we'll see 20K a week in April.

Eh, I think it'll be at around 100k, just like 3DS in its third month, 80k would be really low, too low.
And, about the 3DS doing poorly, 3DS is doing fine in USA now.

Top Bottom