• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If March hadn't been 5 weeks following launch week it also would have looked worse. It'll be around 80K in April and if that number gets public somehow we'll have one of the busier NPD threads in a long time. I'm thinking weekly in March was 80K, 50K, 35K, 25K, 20K and we'll see 20K a week in April.

That would be my guess as well.

And yes, there will be carnage in the NPD thread.

Eh, I think it'll be at around 100k, just like 3DS in its third month, 80k would be really low, too low.
And, about the 3DS doing poorly, 3DS is doing fine in USA now.

3DS started from a higher water mark, and Vita is already trending below it on a weekly basis. It's going to be low.

BadWolf

Not so sure, it does seem a response to the MH shaped hole in the Vita's line-up.

And I honestly think the Nintendo/Capcom deal took Sony by surprise, considering how much they had been talking about MH and Vita before that. It depends how close to MH it actually turns out to be, but I don't think they were developing a first party rival while assuming MH was going to be on it anyway.

This is all assuming that its a direct MH clone and not a portable take on the Souls games (or a hybrid of DS and MH or a unique experience all its own).

It will definitely have online though I think, that's one area Sony can set it apart and with Ragnorok Odyssey doing it there is no reason not to.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Need time to build up a library honestly. It's still far outperforming what the DS did in its initial years.

I guess that's really what it boils down to. Nintendo can easily build up its portable library by themselves with no issues. Sony can't even begin to approach that ability.

They could easily do so if they put some of their "A" teams on Vita projects instead of PS3.

Cygnus X-1

As long as 3DS+DS continues to see yoy declines, the 3DS isn't doing fine.

Good point. The positive side is that the big numbers Nintendo 3DS is outputting in Japan are totally free of losses coming from the foreign exchange rate. Said otherwise, it is in the interest of not only Nintendo, but of all japanese companies to try to concentrate more on the domestic market. Nintendo's earnings derive in the measure of 80-85% from overseas. They sure better try to lower this ratio if they can.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As long as 3DS+DS continues to see yoy declines, the 3DS isn't doing fine.

It's just the usual long period of transition between one platform and another, pretty common in US, don't worry. As I'm always saying, DS won't be reachable without new games, new ideas...but it's not now you'll see the peak of the platform.

But this is OT, since it isn't related to Japan, so...PM or NPD thread, if we want to continue :p

New releases {2012.04.12}

[3DS] Nikoli no Sudoku 3D: 2nd Collection 1000 Problems in 8 Puzzles <PZL> (Hamster) (¥3.990)

[PSV] Rayman Origins <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥2.500)
[PSV] Nikoli no Sudoku V: Shugyoku no 12 Puzzle <PZL> (Hamster) (¥5.229)

[PSP] Armen Noir Portable # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Armen Noir Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Atelier Elkrone: Dear for Otomate # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Atelier Elkrone: Dear for Otomate [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Princess Evangile Portable # <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Princess Evangile Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Gendai Grand Strategy: Isshoku Sokuhatsu - Gunji Balance Houkai (SystemSoft Selection) <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥3.129)

[PS3] Rayman Origins <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥2.500)
[PS3] DiRT 3: Complete Edition <RCE> (Codemasters) (¥3.990)
[PS3] EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis 2 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.040)
Boring ass week.

BurntPork

Banned
Eh, I think it'll be at around 100k, just like 3DS in its third month, 80k would be really low, too low.
And, about the 3DS doing poorly, 3DS is doing fine in USA now.
No, 3DS is doing badly in the US. 45k per week is very bad and it means sub 200k for April is a definite.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is my problem.
Are they just announcing it now to make it look like they're doing something? I mean, if it's almost a year away, it's not going to help a damn thing.

So not announce something and have people complain that they aren't announcing something, or announce something and have people complain that it's too far away. Just shows you can't win with gamers today.

Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

01./01. [PSP] 2nd Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.04.05} (¥7.330)
02./02. [3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090)
03./06. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
04./03. [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.22} (¥5.800)
05./07. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
06./05. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.03.29} (¥7.980)
07./04. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.03.29} (¥5.980)
08./09. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
09./08. [NDS] Pokemon Conquest <SLG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.03.17} (¥5.800)
10./05. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.01} (¥4.800)

Very low numbers, it seems.
MH3G was at 16k last week.

So not announce something and have people complain that they aren't announcing something, or announce something and have people complain that it's too far away. Just shows you can't win with gamers today.

I hope you agree on the fact that begging for ONE game arriving is pretty depressing.

Mpl90

Ok, why MH3G saw such a rise?

EDIT: Looking at Famitsu, through Google Translation, it seems the future Spring Holidays are starting having some effect...?

Alrus

Yes those supper hot Vita releases should be selling gazilions of copies on 600k userbase compared to dozens of big PSP games released to mature fanbase of PSP (16 milions iirc? )

So what are those dozens of big PSP releases that came out a bit before and during the Vita's run? I'm curious.

Alrus

Check threads from last few months and count how many PSP games scored 100k units first week ?

There's like 3 in 2012 : Shining Blade, Yakuza Black Panther 2 and SRW Z(I'm not even sure that one is counted on the MC graph).

Also I wouldn't consider 100k fw with almost no legs a "big" release. It says more about Vita's dreadful support than PSP having anything significant released. (outside of SRW)

So what are those dozens of big PSP releases that came out a bit before and during the Vita's run? I'm curious.

Yakuza: Black Panther 2, Shining Blade, Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable, I Don't Have Many Friends Portable, Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave, Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki, Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God, PhotoKano, 2nd Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen, 7th Dragon 2020; LBX Boost just to name few.

Alrus

Yakuza: Black Panther 2, Shining Blade, Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable, I Don't Have Many Friends Portable, Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave, Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki, Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God, PhotoKano, 2nd Super Robot Wars Z: Saisei-hen, 7th Dragon 2020; LBX Boost just to name few.

Okay I have much higher expectation about what I call "big" releases I guess. Because outside of SRW Z none of those are particularly remarkable... Oh well...

Okay I have much higher expectation about what I call "big" releases I guess. Because outside of SRW Z none of those are particularly remarkable... Oh well...

But they all sold more than 50k, some of them more than 80k and few more than 100k. They all figure an healthy environment on PSP, a situation that could have hurt PSVita, since it is not bc and it has very few games.

saichi

Yes those supper hot Vita releases should be selling gazilions of copies on 600k userbase compared to dozens of big PSP games released to mature fanbase of PSP (16 milions iirc? )

While it's true, the other problem is the decline of VITA software from month 1 to month 4. It just shows there are no new software being released or interesting enough to impact sales.

Alrus

Yakuza: Black Panther 2 is pretty big.

A bit under 150k isn't "pretty big", especially when it's a pretty big drop from a previous entry. It's decent though.

But they all sold more than 50k, some of them more than 80k and few more than 100k. They all figure an healthy environment on PSP, a situation that could have hurt PSVita, since it is not bc and it has very few games.

Hmm yeah you're right (I still wouldn't consider any of those "big" but that's not really the point I guess). But yeah it shows how awful the post launch software support has been. (and I'm still shocked at how badly some of the launch games sold)

At least we now know Sony is trying to make software and putting more effort in marketing them. Maybe they'll manage to create a decent hit, that would bode well for the future.

Hmm yeah you're right (I still wouldn't consider any of those "big" but that's not really the point I guess). But yeah it shows how awful the post launch software support has been. (and I'm still shocked at how badly some of the launch games sold)

At least we now know Sony is trying to make software and putting more effort in marketing them. Maybe they'll manage to create a decent hit, that would bode well for the future.

+ MHP3 still charting.

Vita is doomed and and will be the downfall of Sony gaming division.

Sums up the negativity in this thread

Well considering no one in this thread has said anything remotely resembling what you did i'd say it doesn't sum anything up. You haven't added anything to the discussion either.

Thr vita situation right now is prretty damn dire so of course that is going to be the focus of the discussion.

saichi

Well considering no one in this thread has said anything remotely resembling what you did i'd say it doesn't sum anything up. You haven't added anything to the discussion either.

Thr vita situation right now is prretty damn dire so of course that is going to be the focus of the discussion.

Vita is doomed and will be the downfall of Sony gaming division before PS4.

There I said it.

Alrus

+ MHP3 still charting.

Oh yeah that too, I'm truly impressed it kept selling so well. I kinda expected MHP3rd had reached the saturation point even before its budget re-release.

Vita is doomed and and will be the downfall of Sony gaming division.

Sums up the negativity in this thread

So do you want to make any point leading to a decent discussion or did you just come in here to complain about shit nobody said?

aknbad30

Banned
So do you want to make any point leading to a decent discussion or did you just come in here to complain about shit nobody said?
00intro_1.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree.
I think that this announce could be a very positive "re-start" point for Sony's Vita support.

While it's true, the other problem is the decline of VITA software from month 1 to month 4. It just shows there are new software being released or interesting enough to impact sales.

It's Japan. Huge part of sales for typical title comes from first week and those with longer legs are exception not the norm.

So without notable software releases in those months you cannot have healthy soft sales.

So far the titles that everyone expected to sell - Tales, Gravity, Evebody Golf, Ragnarok did so accordingly to size of fanbase.

I agree.
I think that this announce could be a very positive "re-start" point for Sony's Vita support.

It's not, imo.
It's the same argument: a game here and there does not help Vita performance in the market; it would be a different situation with 2-3 games announced every week on Famitsu, or a conference like the one by Nintendo in September where they announced tons of games both internal and from third parties.

Furthermore, this game probably went under development before the console was released; it's not that Sony looked at the horrible sales and said "Then, let's develop a MH clone to help to reinvigorate sales!"

Mpl90

DS was picking up steam by this point worldwide.

WW? Not yet: DS started in US to sell much more thanks to NSMB and Lite. Neither BT did the trick. In Europe, it was already selling fine / well, by the way.

Top Bottom