• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2014 (Apr 07 - Apr 13)

3DS will not survive till 2016.

Last year I would have said otherwise, but I didn't expect the decline this year to be so severe.

They also can't afford to just shove a replacement out, they have to make sure they get it right, that's why I think that holiday 2015 would be the right time. They can get a few more games for the 3DS out like Smash and Pokemon Z and then launch a system that isn't half baked.

shink

Champion.
Why isn't the 2DS released in Japan yet? I really don't understand why not when it's out everywhere else

Hellraider

I doubt Nintendo will get to 2016 without having at least announced the successor.
And it better be a perfect console, because if the WiiU continues like this, and sadly i think it will, the one that replaces 3DS must sell huge numbers right from the beginning to keep Nintendo from bleeding money.

That's what I would like to believe. The thing is even if Nintendo honestly would prefer to have a successor sooner, can they actually afford to release it when WiiU is in the situation it is and with QOL also releasing this (next?) year. Just like you say, will the company be able to ride on 4DS sole success and will they want to take that risk?

BadWolf

They also can't afford to just shove a replacement out, they have to make sure they get it right, that's why I think that holiday 2015 would be the right time. They can get a few more games for the 3DS out like Smash and Pokemon Z and then launch a system that isn't half baked.

There is also the software issue to consider, the lack of which hit both the WiiU and 3DS hard. 3DS was able to turn it around but the WiiU wasn't so lucky.

Do they continue spending resources on 3DS/WiiU or should they shift focus to the successor(s) and guarantee a better launch and stream of releases thereafter?

They would really benefit from a hybrid successor since they would no longer have to stretch their development teams and IPs thin between two platforms.

There is also the software issue to consider, the lack of which hit both the WiiU and 3DS hard. 3DS was able to turn it around but the WiiU wasn't so lucky.

Do they continue spending resources on 3DS/WiiU or should they shift focus to the successor(s) and guarantee a better launch and stream of release thereafter?

They would really benefit from a hybrid successor since they would no longer have to stretch their development teams and IPs thin between two platforms.

Iwata said part of the reason that they are basing the next handheld and console's architecture off of the Wii U is so that they can make sure launches go smoother and there are fewer droughts. Expect the next handheld to launch with a lot of cross platform games with Wii U.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
sörine;108371136 said:
How about Dissidia, Type-0, Peace Walker, Monhun, LBX, Winning Eleven, KH, etc? The more niche half of PSP supporting developers seem to have transitioned fine to Vita (like Gust, NIS, Falcom, Acquire and the avalanche of VN studios) but the bigger names (except Koei and sort of Sega and Bandai) seem to have all but abandoned the system. And even those that didn't abandon Vita tend to have defaulted to multiplatform, while PSP enjoyed mostly exclusives from them Vita has to share it's bigger titles with PSP or PS3 to get by.

I can pluck examples of DS franchises doing equivalently well on 3DS too (Rune Factory, Etrian Odyssey, Harvest Moon, DQ, Megaten, Ace Attorney, etc) but that doesn't mean things are rosy overall.

I don't know what to answer to your comment :(

We said the exact same thing, except more elaborated on your end. Never have I implied that it's all rainbows and unicorns.

The quote was in relation to why 3rd party developers were not announcing more content on 3DS - to which I answered developers who found success on PSP, some are transitioning to PSVita and have found considerable successes in their titles (The Legend of Heroes, God Eater, Toukiden, etc.) - why break away from that model? (paraphrasing here)

BadWolf

sörine;108371136 said:
How about Dissidia, Type-0, Peace Walker, Monhun, LBX, Winning Eleven, KH, etc? The more niche half of PSP supporting developers seem to have transitioned fine to Vita (like Gust, NIS, Falcom, Acquire and the avalanche of VN studios) but the bigger names (except Koei and sort of Sega and Bandai) seem to have all but abandoned the system. And even those that didn't abandon Vita tend to have defaulted to multiplatform, while PSP enjoyed mostly exclusives from them Vita has to share it's bigger titles with PSP or PS3 to get by.

I can pluck examples of DS franchises doing equivalently well on 3DS too (Rune Factory, Etrian Odyssey, Harvest Moon, DQ, Megaten, Ace Attorney, etc) but that doesn't mean things are rosy overall.

The thing about companies like Square and Konami though is that they are shadows of their former selves in general, whereas the niche companies are still doing their thing.

Square's offerings on the 3DS compared to the DS too are lacking quite a bit in comparison, its not just PSP/Vita.

Iwata said part of the reason that they are basing the next handheld and console's architecture off of the Wii U is so that they can make sure launches go smoother and there are fewer droughts. Expect the next handheld to launch with a lot of cross platform games with Wii U.

So the PS3/Vita root? Lets see how it works out for them I guess.

The thing about companies like Square and Konami though is that they are shadows of their former selves in general, whereas the niche companies are still doing their thing.

Square's offerings on the 3DS compared to the DS too are lacking quite a bit in comparison, its not just PSP/Vita.

So the PS3/Vita root? Lets see how it works out for them I guess.

Well the PS3 and Vita don't share an architecture, so it will be a lot easier for devs to do cross platform games.

Jamix012

Sorry to not be caught up on the thread, but--this is the first time Vita's beaten 3DS, right?

Nah, there've been a couple of other weeks here and there. Soul Sacrifice week I think? Also this is the second time in recent weeks the two trackers have been divided.

boingball

Vita the new number one system in Japan. Good news for Sony.
Sales numbers are bad news though. Some price reductions are needed to make up for the tax increase.
At least PS4 managed to avoid to fall into single digits for one more week.

I'd be very surprised if the next Nintendo home console (if it ever exists) isn't a hybrid. The market is way too volatile, no one knows whether home consoles sell in Japan anymore, and Nintendo is too Japan centric to completely realign themselves to fit western tastes. If PS4 had come out blazing then I'd say Ninety would just go for power next ten, but since it hasn't (well from what I see so far), I can't see them putting their faith and spending cash to make a high-powered console. And as we've seen on the WiiU, gimmick consoles seem to be very hit and miss.

maxcriden

First time on regular week without price drop or new revision to boost hardware.

But with those included it's third time.

Nah, there've been a couple of other weeks here and there. Soul Sacrifice week I think? Also this is the second time in recent weeks the two trackers have been divided.

nah it happened last year with the price cut
also that was the only unanimous win for Vita, because Media Create and Famitsu be trolling

I see. Thanks!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;108371136 said:

I don't know what to answer to your comment :(

We said the exact same thing, except more elaborated on your end. Never have I implied that it's all rainbows and unicorns.

The quote was in relation to why 3rd party developers were not announcing more content on 3DS - to which I answered developers who found success on PSP are mostly transitioning to PSVita and have found considerable successes in their titles (The Legend of Heroes, God Eater, Toukiden, etc.) - why break away from that model? (paraphrasing here)
Resource consolidations peeled off a lot of the bigger titles.

Type-0's staff is on FFXV, Peace Walker's staff is on MGSV, KHBBS/KH3D's staff is on KH3, Dissidia's team spread across various bigger projects.

While those games were big on handhelds, none of them were so big as to be worth taking off resources they needed for much higher potential console games.

Similarly high performing mobile titles killed off most of Konami's line-up, because why invest in something that barely makes money when you can invest in something that is much cheaper, much safer, and makes way more money in aggregate.

At this point we largely have flagships left, since there usually isn't a more obvious choice to put your staff on than your flagship games. It's just that for a lot of developers, their flagships are very small (see companies like Nippon Ichi, Gust).

Inherently there are a few bets as well, like Level 5 attempting (seemingly successfully) to replace the waning success of Inazuma Eleven and Layton with Yokai Watch and Koei trying to muscle into the open void left by Capcom on the Vita, but as a whole there just isn't a huge variety of moderate to higher profile titles left.

Now, first parties of course can help fill this in by making both more risky and more major flagship titles to try and make up the loss in both categories, but it's hard to keep up that kind of output while juggling two platforms, which is what both vendors are doing.

Why would Nintendo even consider launching new portable hardware?

So one week the Vita outsells the 3DS.There's no chance it could ever even possibly imagine possibly making a dent in 3DS sales in any region.

It's being blown way out of proportion.

GBA release date
March 21, 2001

DS release date
November 21, 2004

3 years, 8 months difference

GBA sales LTD (end of third full fiscal year)
51.4m

3DS sales LTD (as of Dec 2013, one quarter less than listed GBA LTD)
42.74m

The software sales gap is similar.

If Nintendo could release new handheld hardware in 2004 (mind that DS launched before PSP), the real question is why they wouldn't release new handheld hardware in 2015.

ec0ec0

where is nintendo going to make money from this year!?

Also, many are saying that the 3ds successor should come out in 2015... so, if that was the case, nintendo teams should already be making games for the 3ds successor + quality of life, right??

Jamix012

Vita is so weird. Has a console ever been this alive ("alive") and so dead everywhere else? Saturn?

Probably the Turbo-16/PC engine too.

Edit: yeah the Vita really is a saturn. According to Wikipedia (?reliable?) Saturn sold 6 million in JP and 2 in NA. That sounds like LTDs for the Vita.

where is nintendo going to make money from this year!?

Also, many are saying that the 3ds successor should come out in 2015... so, if that was the case, nintendo teams should already be making games for the 3ds succesor + quality of life, right??

That might explain where 3DS development went.

If Nintendo could release new handheld hardware in 2004 (mind that DS launched before PSP), the real question is why they wouldn't release new handheld hardware in 2015.

Because 2015 unfortunately is the sad year of QOL.
There's also still 3DS software plans for 2015, so they should rather release a final revision alongside MH4G or something (a proper, fancy one. not that 2DS junk).

QOL isn't taking anyone away from game development and the next handheld is going to share a similar architecture with the Wii U so they can easily port games, engines and assets over.

They said Miyamoto has teams making flagship software for QOL.

Lexxism

First time on regular week without price drop or new revision to boost hardware.

But with those included it's third time.

Nah, it's the fourth time. I remember last month(?) when Vita outsell 3DS on Famitsu but never did on Media Create which is pretty much the same this week.

What are you basing that on?

Jeez, the Vita beats the 3DS by a small margin one week, and you all act like it's dead? Need I remind you that this has happened before?

I can't take these threads seriously anymore with the amount of "championing" that goes on. It's rather sad because I used to enjoy reading these threads for non-fanboy war sales talk, but now it's all hashtags and annoying hit-n-run posts.

SmokyDave

I can't take these threads seriously anymore with the amount of "championing" that goes on. It's rather sad because I used to enjoy reading these threads for non-fanboy war sales talk, but now it's all hashtags and annoying hit-n-run posts.
Well, at least you've made a useful contribution, eh?

I suspect the cheerleading has always been there, you just didn't notice it as much. I know it was prevalent throughout the 'beast mode' days of the 3DS.

The Vita turnaround has made for a plucky underdog story. People always love those.

So Golden Week starts in 11 days (split golden week spanning over two weeks this year) have there been any rumblings of any surprises hardware wise for any of the platform holders? bundles and so forth?

test_account

XP-39C²
After my experience, i think these things have almost always been there to some degree (i've been following the Media Create threads since late 2006). It dims down when nothing out of the ordinary happends. There are still serious talk going on in these threads too.

liger05

Unless there is a 3DS revision in the works is there really no chance of a new nintendo handheld say holidays 2015?

Top Bottom