• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2014 (Apr 07 - Apr 13)

QaaQer

If Nintendo could release new handheld hardware in 2004 (mind that DS launched before PSP), the real question is why they wouldn't release new handheld hardware in 2015.

They have a 3rd platform they are developing for now (QoL), game dev takes more resources now, and there is serious work being done on architecture integration and online services.

Shengar

What they need to revitalized 3DS is not a cheaper, and gimped version aka 2DS. It's a 3DSi with second circle pad that should do the job. Release a special bundle with MH4U and you'll see the sale skyrocketed again.

Shengar

but those vita memory cards...

Japanese market is still very physical centric, so those memory cards price wouldn't affect it much since the 2000 model already have an in-built 1GB memory.

EDIT: oops, I thought the board moving faster than I am. Sorry for double posting.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Vita > 3DS :eek:

Not sure if this a cause for celebration for diehard Vita fans though considering how low the numbers are.

Nintendo, ring those alarm bells!!!!

What they need to revitalized 3DS is not a cheaper, and gimped version aka 2DS. It's a 3DSi with second circle pad that should do the job. Release a special bundle with MH4U and you'll see the sale skyrocketed again.

I... actually want a JP 2DS. >_>

redcrayon

GBA release date
March 21, 2001

DS release date
November 21, 2004

3 years, 8 months difference

GBA sales LTD (end of third full fiscal year)
51.4m

3DS sales LTD (as of Dec 2013, one quarter less than listed GBA LTD)
42.74m

The software sales gap is similar.

If Nintendo could release new handheld hardware in 2004 (mind that DS launched before PSP), the real question is why they wouldn't release new handheld hardware in 2015.
Different situation ten years later though.

The DS was designed to sell alongside an already successful predecessor, the GBA's grip on the market was still pretty tight, the GBA had a vastly higher amount of third-party support, the home console wasn't selling as bad as the WiiU is. Third parties didn't have as many options to launch elsewhere for mobile platforms, and development for GBA and DS games was quick and dirt cheap- Nintendo could turn around its games in a matter of months, and could still get away with repackaging NES and SNES games at full price.

What Nintendo is facing is third-party support almost completely disappearing next time around, what they need to do is make sure their digital strategy is robust enough to carry them forward, as at the moment the eshop just isn't getting the support compared to PSN. That's where the money is going to be on their next handheld, and there is no point launching anything until they have everything nailed down. That has to involve better third-party relations than they have right now.

I agree that they could easily have had a new handheld ready if the engineering side of that single machine was the only thing worth worrying about as they have acted in the past, but they have invested a lot into this joint handheld/home console development structure, that's what's being readied for any future strategy and is a critical roll of the dice in terms of timing and engineering.

Elios83

Unless there is a 3DS revision in the works is there really no chance of a new nintendo handheld say holidays 2015?

No chance? That seems the most obvious guess, Nintendo has also the Wii U flop to deal with. They have to introduce something new which can a be a success with growth potential. End of 2015 is already a long way to go, it's not around the corner, especially if sales collapse even further.
They can't afford to go on a single shaking leg (3DS) and maybe there is a reason behind the craptacular 2014 3DS lineup.

Takao

Banned
Man, the Vita TV is such a waste. You'd think being a PS4 extender would be worth something but nope...

Vita TV hasn't received the firmware update to allow for Remote Play. Not that I would think it would help sales in Japan, given the PS4's numbers, and the average living space in Japan probably not requiring an extender.

Labadal

If I were a Sony exec, I would grease the pockets of Namco and Atlus for PS4 versions of Persona 5 and tales of Zestiria even if they look less impressive graphically than other PS4 games.

teiresias

QOL isn't taking anyone away from game development and the next handheld is going to share a similar architecture with the Wii U so they can easily port games, engines and assets over.

Iwata has claimed to have solved the drought problem with every console since GameCube. Problem is he's only ever claimed to have done it, it's never actually happened.

Also, it's rather ironic that apparently the saving grace of the next handheld is that it will be easy to reuse console assets and do Wii-u ports. Isn't one of the standard Vita insults calling it a ports-only machine?

To be fair though, it's probably an architecture thing as I doubt there will be any worthwhile software on the Wii-U side to port by the time the new handheld comes around - unless we're talking ports of older games (which puts the handheld back in Vita port machine territory).

Japanese devs just need to learn to appeal outside their own territory and that doesn't necessarily mean going "dudebro" on everything either.

never really got the point of vita tv, especially in japan where home consoles die.

If you could somehow stream your vita to the tv with it with minimal issues, that could be neat, but from what i can tell... you can't?

You have to physically take out the game from your vita put it in the tv... and the same for the memory card?

Davey Cakes

Vita people are annoying.

The numbers are either getting worse or stabilizing low. You're not celebrating an increase in sales, you're celebrating the competition dropping in sales.

I'd rather my preferred system sell more than for the rivals(s) to merely drop the ball.

But whatever.

never really got the point of vita tv, especially in japan where home consoles die.

If you could somehow stream your vita to the tv with it with minimal issues, that could be neat, but from what i can tell... you can't?

You have to physically take out the game from your vita put it in the tv... and the same for the memory card?

Digital.

Kikujiro

I can't take these threads seriously anymore with the amount of "championing" that goes on. It's rather sad because I used to enjoy reading these threads for non-fanboy war sales talk, but now it's all hashtags and annoying hit-n-run posts.

Where were you when people were posting gifs after gifs of DS/3DS printing money and NINTENDOMINATION?

This is nothing new or strange to MC sales threads.

SmokyDave

Not sure if this a cause for celebration for diehard Vita fans though considering how low the numbers are.
Regular 25k weeks are definitely cause for celebration. Sure, this weeks first place 'victory' is somewhat hollowed by the fact that everything else has died on its arse, but the numbers for the Vita are better than ever.

*Cues up Kool & The Gang*

Vita people are annoying.

The numbers are either getting worse or stabilizing low. You're not celebrating an increase in sales, you're celebrating the competition dropping in sales.

I'd rather my preferred system sell more than for the rivals(s) to merely drop the ball.

But whatever.
Do you actually look at the numbers, or just guess?

Jamix012

With PS4 (and Xbone? lol) launch in Japan, this year is still gonna be down for overall hardware sales. And as it stands, I don't see 2015 being up on 2014 either. Really is a hard time for Japanese sales.

redcrayon

Iwata has claimed to have solved the drought problem with every console since GameCube. Problem is he's only ever claimed to have done it, it's never actually happened.

Also, it's rather ironic that apparently the saving grace of the next handheld is that it will be easy to reuse console assets and do Wii-u ports. Isn't one of the standard Vita insults calling it a ports-only machine?

To be fair though, it's probably an architecture thing as I doubt there will be any worthwhile software on the Wii-U side to port by the time the new handheld comes around - unless we're talking ports of older games (which puts the handheld back in Vita port machine territory).

Japanese devs just need to learn to appeal outside their own territory and that doesn't necessarily mean going "dudebro" on everything either.
Which Japanese devs? All of them? Nintendo seem to do alright with various IP, the last Fire Emblem was one of the biggest selling in the series so far and it's one of the most 'Japanese' IP they have, being a cartoony SRPG.

Japanese games in a Japanese style that are really good can do fine, that's what Square found with Bravely Default, and Atlus with Persona too. I suppose what all of those games have in common is relatively unique art direction. It's where they hunker down into niche otaku territory or, as you say, ape western games relatively poorly that they unsurprisingly struggle overseas. The recent FF games are a classic example of trying to please everyone and not doing too well at anything.

Wow total HW sales this week are abysmal.

Vita > 3DS. What's the next big 3DS and Vita game respectively?

PS4 staying at 13k, wonder what'll happen next week

Wii U dropping again, wonder if it'll go sub-5k again

Interesting that PS4 didn't go down by any real amount but PS3 seems to have [of course I guess Famitsu paints a different picture]

test_account

XP-39C²

I think the main point was the price. It is sold for 10k yen (the version with a Dual Shock 3 controller included costs 15k yen), which is nearly half the price of a regular Vita. It also allows you to play Vita games on a bigger screen.

Yep, the VitaTV is just like a Vita without out a screen, so you have to take out the game if you want to play it on another system. The same goes for the memorycard. As someone mentioned, you can avoid this by bying the game digitally though. And cloud saving on PS+ is possible too, so you dont have to take out the memorycard.

Much of the celebration is because the Vita is doing better than what it used to do, so its not celebrating of that the competition is selling less. There would most likely be some celebration regardless of what the competition is doing.

Is Titanfall selling 10k in its first week a victoly?
edit: Oh wait it's the 360 version... forgot the Xbone wasn't out in Japan yet.

Oemenia

Banned
I dont think there is much to worry about Vita at this point to be honest concidering how it sold in the first ~2 years.
Normally a game that sells over 100K for the Vita boosts HW sales by roughly 10k so this looks really bad.

Still seeing third-party games selling on the platform gives us good hope that Japanese core games will have a home.

AdanVC

Ughhh it's been a while since the last time we saw Wii U on the 5k numbers... MK8 can't come soon enough. Depressing week overall. PS4 not even with MGSV can make decent numbers, wow :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Anyone still think we won't hear about a 3DS successor soon?

I hope not as its going to piss off all the devs who are on board with the 3DS now. And with how long it took for the 3DS to take off replacing the DS yeah dont think its the best business move for Nintendo to make. Also with how in general its fully apparent that there is competition from smartphones here. Trying to get folks to shell out yet again for another handheld which will have a sparse selection of launch titles / line up for a while isnt going to fly well.

Oemenia

Banned
I hope not as its going to piss off all the devs who are on board with the 3DS now. And with how long it took for the 3DS to take off replacing the DS yeah dont think its the best business move for Nintendo to make. Also with how in general its fully apparent that there is competition from smartphones here. Trying to get folks to shell out yet again for another handheld which will have a sparse selection of launch titles / line up for a while isnt going to fly well.
This, why start over when despite the lower HW sales, SW seems to be doing well.

If anything they need to make the most of the 3DS while eating the losses of the WiiU rather than start from scratch.

BadWolf

Well its not like the 3DS has a ton of 3rd party support right now and the system had a slow start after launch because of being way overpriced in addition to having a bad line up.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well its not like the 3DS has a ton of 3rd party support right now and the system had a slow start after launch because of being way overpriced in addition to having a bad line up.

In Japan they still do. In the US for example, you guys are getting more localized titles now than before.

Now is most def NOT the time for a company to be trying to push out new hardware that would have to compete with smartphones and apps. They need to work off of the existing marketshare they already have with games. New hardware is not a solution to the "problem".

Apparently, "Fanboys are in love with their consoles".

Huh.

Apparently there aren't many fanboys in Japan.

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Top Bottom