• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

More than that:

#1 = 242,600
#2 - #20 = 165,994

I wonder how many places you need to add together to actaully equal FE's sales.
Even top 50 wouldn't add up to it.

Surely the B2/W2 bundles will be black and white 3DSes emblazoned with special iconography like with all these other bundles? And maybe throw in the AR searcher game and Pokedex Pro apps as pre-downloaded software?

That free in-store visibility would also certainly contribute toward the marketing and publicity of the standalone Pokemon apps themselves.
99% chance this will happen. The opportunitys too good to pass.

I'll be interested to see 3DS hardware when Pokemon Black 2/White 2 release.

If they market the AR game correctly, it could be a big system mover- a Pokéwalker-style gimmick.

I could imagine a BW2 3DS bundle with a two-tone 3DS with the Pokédex 3D Pro and the AR Searcher pre-loaded on to the device doing an enormous amount of business.

Superb FE figures, and, if it's true the bundle isn't included in the hardware totals, a tremendous result for the hardware, too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nintendo wants to put the Vita to rest asap.
I doubt it, all they're doing has more to do with maintaining and improving (which is needed) the 3DS success, if it also helps with the Vita's decline then that's a side effect, though that's more up to Sony, just as the DS dominated but Sony still managed to get a succesful product of their own off the ground. Even if the Vita situation improves (which it probably will) that doesn't mean Nintendo failed in putting it to rest as long as they can maintain good sales and support of their own until their next system.

I doubt it, all they're doing has more to do with maintaining and improving the 3DS success, if it also helps with the Vita's decline then that's a side effect, though that's more up to Sony, just as the DS dominated but Sony still managed to get a succesful product of their own off the ground.
Vita getting support means less support for the 3DS, thus less sales. Its Nintendo's direct competition, killing it now means less chance of it bothering Nintendo in the future, of course its exactly what they wanna do.

It probably won't be, if you're expecting lots of new first-party 3DS announcements. There are too many announced-but-undated titles for that to be likely.

Eh. They've got plenty of stuff, but, NSMB2 and Animal Crossing aside, it's short on heavy-hitters. I see them announcing a Donkey Kong or a Kirby, or even a Zelda.

Alexios

Vita getting support means less support for the 3DS, thus less sales. Its Nintendo's direct competition, killing it now means less chance of it bothering Nintendo in the future, of course its exactly what they wanna do.
Vita's death is not up to Nintendo. If the 3DS had nothing to interest people with these months, I seriously doubt Vita's situation would improve that much. They'd most likely both sell like shit until one managed to gain interest again.

guek

Banned
Unless Nintendo does something dumb like make a DSi LL or DSi bundle with it, they are probably only going to double or so if they move at all.

Meanwhile a 3DS bundle could do a huge number...

I wonder which of these paths Nintendo would choose.

Oh yeah, I think the 3DS bump will be way bigger, I'm just curious to see its effect on the DS :)

Vita's death is not up to Nintendo.
Yeah its up to the market and the market seems to be pretty fond of Nintendo.

If 3DS sales were shit and Nintendo sat on their hands like Sony is doing, there's more chance of third parties throwing an exclusive here and there for both systems, giving the Vita a chance of continued third party support. Its all about momentum and Nintendo is doing all they can to make it happen. Its pretty naive to think Nintendo isn't trying to kill the Vita.

I doubt it, all they're doing has more to do with maintaining and improving (which is needed) the 3DS success, if it also helps with the Vita's decline then that's a side effect, though that's more up to Sony, just as the DS dominated but Sony still managed to get a succesful product of their own off the ground. Even if the Vita situation improves (which it probably will) that doesn't mean Nintendo failed in putting it to rest as long as they can maintain good sales and support of their own until their next system.

I'm curious as to why people think the PSP was successful. I use to work for Target and the whole time i was there, they devoted not even 4 solid feet of retail space to the psp from the day it launched till now. For the last two or three years Target only carried like 8 to 12 games at any one time while we always had about 28 feet worth of retail space for the DS. I know it isn't the end all be all in terms of proof but Best Buy always seemed to be the same way to, very limited space for the PSP.

Alexios

I'm curious as to why people think the PSP was successful. I use to work for Target and the whole time i was there, they devoted not even 4 solid feet of retail space to the psp from the day it launched till now. For the last two or three years Target only carried like 8 to 12 games at any one time while we always had about 28 feet worth of retail space for the DS. I know it isn't the end all be all in terms of proof but Best Buy always seemed to be the same way to, very limited space for the PSP.
This is a Media Create thread. Or is this Target Japan you're speaking of?

Vita's death is not up to Nintendo. If the 3DS had nothing to interest people with these months, I seriously doubt Vita's situation would improve that much. They'd most likely both sell like shit until one managed to gain interest again.

All i know is that since the Vita was announced, there has been nothing but doom and gloom surrounding it. I think that plays a huge part in why it is doing so poorly, bad PR. Especially when it was announced you had to buy another bullshit proprietary card from Sony since they didn't build in any storage.

Diablos54

In Japan it sold over 20 million. While not as good as the DS it's still a very good number for a non-Nintendo handheld. Software is another matter though...

Isn't today that Nintendo is going to disclose their Q4 results btw?

The results and the investor's conference take place tomorrow, I believe.

Nobody's denying that the PSP has no cache in NA any more, and hasn't for years. This thread's about the Japanese market, where PSP has carved out a very comfortable chunk of the market for itself, which, thus far, Vita has showed no signs of claiming.

Well, when people say it the psp was successful, im thinking globally, sorry!!!

Well we're not. This is a thread about Japanese sales, and your reflections of working at Target don't have a great deal of relevance at the topic at hand, I'm afraid.

FoneBone

Eh. They've got plenty of stuff, but, NSMB2 and Animal Crossing aside, it's short on heavy-hitters. I see them announcing a Donkey Kong or a Kirby, or even a Zelda.

People said that last year (except with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart as the "heavy hitters"), and the only new first-party announcement was Luigi's Mansion.

It probably won't be, if you're expecting lots of new first-party 3DS announcements. There are too many announced-but-undated titles for that to be likely.
Not to mention the unannounced-but-likely localizations (Layton 5, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, DQ Monsters, maaayyyybe DQ Slime 3).

guek

Banned
All i know is that since the Vita was announced, there has been nothing but doom and gloom surrounding it. I think that plays a huge part in why it is doing so poorly, bad PR. Especially when it was announced you had to buy another bullshit proprietary card from Sony since they didn't build in any storage.

Uh no, not really. At least not in the west. I don't know what the press was like in Japan, but the general sentiment in other territories was that Vita was god's gift to gaming and the 3DS is a gimmicky overpriced paperweight. That's more or less how western gaming media spun things.

Hero

yeah i'm kinda surprised kid icarus was not a worldwide bomb. considering it had been two decades since the last installment, i thought it would have done about 100k-150k per region, and now it looks like it could possibly sell 1 million worldwide, over time.
I think Kid Icarus is going to be a slow-burner for exactly the reason that it was a dead franchise for the past 20 years. By this time next year I think it could very well be at least a million worldwide.

One of the biggest problems the Vita faces for the next year or so is, and I know this sounds silly to any serious gamer, the lack of a UMD drive.

3DS replaced the DS very quickly in Japan and really did the job by the time of the pricecut. Sure, the DS hasn't had too many major releases in the past year but even when it did people didn't go out and start buying DSi's, they bought 3DS's instead.

PSP's software is relatively strong however and whenever it gets a major release people buy...PSP's. The price difference between the two consoles isn't even that large a factor so one would reason that if it had a UMD drive many people would be picking up a Vita instead.

Completely agree. It's so funny how not only did the UMD format bite them in the ass for the PSP because it was a shitty format, it's biting them in the ass in a different way with the Vita due to lack of true backwards compatibility.

Nobody's denying that the PSP has no cache in NA any more, and hasn't for years. This thread's about the Japanese market, where PSP has carved out a very comfortable chunk of the market for itself, which, thus far, Vita has showed no signs of claiming.

You are absolutely right, but you also can't claim the psp is successful and not include world wide numbers, Japan alone does not make a console successful.

Uh no, not really. At least not in the west. I don't know what the press was like in Japan, but the general sentiment in other territories was that Vita was god's gift to gaming and the 3DS is a gimmicky overpriced paperweight. That's more or less how western gaming media spun things.

Um, i'm pretty sure you have things reversed here. When the 3DS was first announced everyone went gaga over it and when the Vita was announced there we're dev's quietly questioning the need for a psp successor considering it's track record. Now sure, after the 3DS launched and the Vita was being demoed the roles we're reversed.

You are absolutely right, but you also can't claim the psp is successful and not include world wide numbers, Japan alone does not make a console successful.

We aren't talking worldwide sales, though. We aren't referring to the overall success of the machine, we're strictly talking success in the Japanese market.

It's much the same thing when we talk of how much a bomb the 360 is. No one in his right mind thinks 360 bombed worldwide, but in terms of the Japanese market it flopped, and the reasons for this make interesting debate.

muu

This is a Media Create (Japanese sales) thread. Don't get worldwide success and regional success mixed up, and quit fighting over it.

Um, i'm pretty sure you have things reversed here. When the 3DS was first announced everyone went gaga over it and when the Vita was announced there we're dev's quietly questioning the need for a psp successor considering it's track record. Now sure, after the 3DS launched and the Vita was being demoed the roles we're reversed.

Uh, no. 'NGP' reveal cast a shadow over the 3DS, and the price announcement made the 3DS seem overpriced to a lot of people. It's the 3DS price cut, and then the announcement of MH3G, that really cut into the throat of Vita pre-launch.

3DS - OMFG 3D WOW VITA IS DEAD
VITA - $250 OMG RIP 3DS
3DS price drop/MH - VITA DOA

guek

Banned

The 3DS went on a roller coster ride. Its hype started amazingly high then plummeted when sales didn't keep up. Now its rising again.

And yeah, I don't think ever there was an overwhelming amount of Vita enthusiasm by devs, but I'm talking about how it was represented by the media. It's still not so subtly worshiped to this day.

Wii U will definetly be the focus of this years E3. However, there will probably be a few new titles. Nintendo has to have something heavy hitting showing up for the holidays this year to allow NSMB2 to be released in August. Unless there's something I'm missing Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion aren't going to cut it in terms of major holiday titles(everything else has been dated) and having only Animal Crossing would be Holiday 2008 all over again.

People said that last year (except with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart as the "heavy hitters"), and the only new first-party announcement was Luigi's Mansion.
Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart were much more obvious in terms of heavy hitters. Also Nintendo did anounce Monster Hunters 3G for the holidays later on. All we know about this year is Animal Crossing as a Holiday title. I don't see any megatons anounced for the 3DS but I do see some smaller anouncements. I suspect Nintendo may market MH3G as a major title for the West. I'm not sure about Japan though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At what point do we have a generally consensus that Vita has bombed in JPN?

This is a Media Create (Japanese sales) thread. Don't get worldwide success and regional success mixed up, and quit fighting over it.

Uh, no. 'NGP' reveal cast a shadow over the 3DS, and the price announcement made the 3DS seem overpriced to a lot of people. It's the 3DS price cut, and then the announcement of MH3G, and then Sony's utterly pathetic TGS conferences immediately after the MH3G/MH4 announcements, that really cut into the throat of Vita pre-launch.

Fixed for (more) accuracy.

I think if its sales trends don't change drastically within its first 2 years.

Shouldn't take that long. If the software announcements on the level necessary for a turnaround don't happen by the end of Sony's TGS conference in September, it'll be pretty safe to say that the system is doomed to borderline irrelevance for the remainder of its lifespan.

muu

Do we have some anticipations? Outside the fact that it will be a bloodbath.

Nintendo already lowered their expectations quite a bit, and yes we'll likely see huge losses. The fact that Vita's floundering likely won't put them in a much better light (though they'll use their sales numbers to do that), as investors are still in love w/ f2p social network games.

Well bad Nintendo news for sure and a new flock of 3DS vs. iOS news articles. I suspect we could once again get some new info like we have the past couple investors meetings to calm people down.

Somnid

If they can beat their loss predictions they will be in great shape. But if anything the fact that there is a loss will make them look weaker in the face of Apple from an investor standpoint even if they are cleaning up in the portable market and have a great future in place. Aside from that I think they dumped everything interesting to gamers on Nintendo Direct.

BurntPork

Banned
Isn't today that Nintendo is going to disclose their Q4 results btw?

Yes. Not looking forward to that thread.

You know, I really think that Nintendo should ave tried to make GF make B2/W2 a DSi-exclusive title. Tat would have given them the best of both worlds. DSi/XL has a sizable install base, and the people who don't have either would get a 3DS.

Wii U will definetly be the focus of this years E3. However, there will probably be a few new titles. Nintendo has to have something heavy hitting showing up for the holidays this year to allow NSMB2 to be released in August. Unless there's something I'm missing Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion aren't going to cut it in terms of major holiday titles(everything else has been dated) and having only Animal Crossing would be Holiday 2008 all over again.

Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart were much more obvious in terms of heavy hitters. Also Nintendo did anounce Monster Hunters 3G for the holidays later on. All we know about this year is Animal Crossing as a Holiday title. I don't see any megatons anounced for the 3DS but I do see some smaller anouncements. I suspect Nintendo may market MH3G as a major title for the West. I'm not sure about Japan though.
Zelda/AC

Maybe DKC? It did well for the Wii.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know, given that Fire Emblem sells better than Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil, maybe some publishers should consider reviving their strategy RPGs. : P

Salvadora

Yes. Not looking forward to that thread.

You know, I really think that Nintendo should ave tried to make GF make B2/W2 a DSi-exclusive title. Tat would have given them the best of both worlds. DSi/XL has a sizable install base, and the people who don't have either would get a 3DS.

I think they do what they want to do, With minimal interference by Nintendo.

Probably a few investor-calming announcements; possibly the likes of Mon Hun 4 release period, assuming it's this year, coupled with a few possible Wii U tidbits. Stuff to try and steady the boat after the oncoming storm.

Top Bottom