• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2014 (Apr 21 - Apr 27)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's cool to see 3DS on top, but... eh. I've lost interest in these numbers now that 3DS is in saturation mode. It was insane seeing 3DS stomping all other systems together.

Might see it happen again when Persona Q comes out.

Im curious how many of those LE 3DS LLs they made, since that shit is GONE from the internet pretty much in terms of pre-orders.

Mory Dunz

I'll be shocked if Wii U gets any other major Nintendo title apart from the ones that are already annouced.
I assume you're counting Zelda as announced too. Or do you think it won't come?

But, no one knows what games it will get in 2016+ or what the situation will even be. So software comparisons don't have much use as of now.

The only viable comparison would be Zelda versus FFXV, but that's assuming FFXV can fit into 2015, which may be a stretch.

Those Wii U games are coming out this year, though, not in the distant future. Plus, you're ignoring FE x SMT, which could be very big. Also, Nintendo has Zelda and Kirby for the future, as well as whatever else they announce.

Yes I am sure FEx SMT on WiiU could be very big

/s

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Here is a graph showing the last 10 years of console sales (taken from the numbers of past MC threads):
mZgXKvW.jpg

Handhelds:
no1HTSN.jpg

Handhelds are safe this generation, and can last for another generation, but I don't think the bump that the PS4 will give the console chart will be enough to save consoles, I think it's time to rethink consoles as a whole.

Takao

Banned
Why the heck not?

#1) Because it's on Wii U
#2) Because the platform it's on has literally one other JRPG.
#3) As the Wii has demonstrated, the audience for these games won't buying hardware for a tiny amount of games.
#4) To be big, it actually has to exist.

Basically, because it's on Wii U.

sense

sörine;110084764 said:
Mario, Wii ____, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Taiko, MH, DQ, Kirby.....I feel like we've been down this road before.

the games you listed seem to be way more handheld oriented than the ones you are quoting but whatever carry on with the ps4 is dead narrative as that isn't going to change for the time being and none of those games are likely to come out this year to prove anything either way

Mory Dunz

What's the definition of "big" in this context? 400K, 600K, 1 million? EDIT: I don't think it will be big. I just wanted to know the criteria.

And it isn't a strawman to keep harping on SMTxFE while ignoring the point of what he was saying?

SmokyDave

It's cool to see 3DS on top, but... eh. I've lost interest in these numbers now that 3DS is in saturation mode. It was insane seeing 3DS stomping all other systems together.
I'm glad those days are gone, to put it mildly. It wasn't a system that deserved such dominance.

Thorgal

I wouldn't worry about FF losing any or very little of it's brand presence .

FF X hd sales outselling the latest FF13 sequel and iirc becoming one of the best selling HD remakes tells me people are not tired of the brand . they are tired of XIII .

Unless Nomura somehow manages to royally screw it up. i do not see why XV won't be a success .

TheChaos0

Might see it happen again when Persona Q comes out.

Im curious how many of those LE 3DS LLs they made, since that shit is GONE from the internet pretty much in terms of pre-orders.

I think it'll probably sell on par with Etrian Odyssey games, if not a bit higher due to Persona name. So I don't really expect that much effect on the hardware. I could be wrong though. :)

The best.

Have fun getting murdered with an axe in your sleep.

Those Wii U games are coming out this year, though, not in the distant future. Plus, you're ignoring FE x SMT, which could be very big. Also, Nintendo has Zelda and Kirby for the future, as well as whatever else they announce.

I'm a huge SMT fan but you do realize how niche SMT is right?

I assume you're counting Zelda as announced too. Or do you think it won't come?

But, no one knows what games it will get in 2016+ or what the situation will even be. So software comparisons don't have much use as of now.

The only viable comparison would be Zelda versus FFXV, but that's assuming FFXV can fit into 2015, which may be a stretch.

Zelda is likely late 2015. And that's it as far as big Nintendo games are concerned.
2016 might get some small projects or HD remakes

I never said it would save the Wii U. I think it could be a big seller, though, if and when it launches.

define "big seller", Awakening hasn't broken 500k in Japan presumably and that's an actual Fire Emblem game on the 3DS, I'd be surprised if it could get half of that total

Takao

Banned
That's not what makes me think it'll do very well. It's the Fire Emblem.

250k - 300k is what I was thinking. Not a system seller, but a big seller.

The last console Fire Emblem to hit the sales figures you're asking was back on the SNES. An unsuccessful platform that has nothing in its software library to support it isn't going to push those numbers.

I think it'll probably sell on par with Etrian Odyssey games, if not a bit higher due to Persona name. So I don't really expect that much effect on the hardware. I could be wrong though. :)

Have fun getting murdered with an axe in your sleep.

She's not that bad.......lol

I wouldn't worry about FF losing any or very little of it's brand presence .

FF X hd sales outselling the latest FF13 sequel and iirc becoming one of the best selling HD remakes tells me people are not tired of the brand . they are tired of XIII .

Unless Nomura somehow manages to royally screw it up. i do not see why XV won't be a success .

FFX HD is at 550k iirc. It is the best selling HD remaster by a notable amount.

Mory Dunz

Zelda is likely late 2015. And that's it as far as big Nintendo games are concerned.
2016 might get some small projects or HD remakes

And how do know this? If this is just your prediction, then that's fine. But you're adamently repeating it.

Like I said, outside of Zelda, first party games don't usually get announced/trailer more than a year out, so we don't know about 2015/2016.

So how can we do list wars for 2016 if Nintendo doesn't announce things that far in advance?

I'm not saying the PS4 won't outsell the Wii U. It will in my opinion. But comparing future software is kind of dumb as of right now.

Shinriji

So glad with SAO sales. It shows that PSP IP can grow on Vita, even with a fraction of the userbase. But it needs to be a high quality game and exclusive as well. Miku Diva F 2nd sales suffered because of that.

Hardware bump was lower than I expected, though.

Metallix87

Funny how people forget that when the PS4 stomps everything in the west, and mobile crushes handhelds with ease.
I'm speaking simply of Japan. I'm still not sure why, given it's library, the PS4 is doing so well in the West.

As for mobile, it has great games, but the hardware is very limiting in control scheme. The same is not true if the 3DS.

Mory Dunz

Western games seem to be performing better than before.

Maybe Infamous can provide a boost.

Does anyone know Cogment(?) preorder numbers?

RM8

Well that kinda explains why nobody's really gives a damn about WiiU in Japan...
Not sure who would argue against this. It's always games. People like to blame other factors, but it kind of is always games (and price too, I guess).

sense

What's the next PS4 release that has potential for a sales bump in japan? Or the next PS4 release in general?

it is a wasteland atm in terms of release dates and hence the horrible sales. between now and tgs we might have get some idea on when titles like mgs 5, ffxv, re,kh, etc... will come out. the next two years (2015 and 2016) will decide the fate of ps4 when all the big game franchises would have been released

duckroll

That's not what makes me think it'll do very well. It's the Fire Emblem.

I think it's worth noting that looking at historical trends, Fire Emblem is a lot like modern Zelda - the handheld entries sold well, the console entries always sold a lot less. We're talking about ~150k on both GC and Wii, and ~250k on GBA and DS. The 3DS entry exploding is an indication of that trend expanding. So far all the Nintendo franchises on WiiU are doing significantly worse than the same franchises on Wii, so there's little reason to think that a FE on the WiiU would buck the trend, much less a vague FE spinoff/tie-in/crossover game no one knows anything about.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

just wait for Smash, mate. It will be glorious

plus, I think a 3D Land 2 will come, and obviously Pokemon Z. These will also do

The last console Fire Emblem to hit the sales figures you're asking was back on the SNES. An unsuccessful platform that has nothing in its software library to support it isn't going to push those numbers.

Well that puts things into perspective. I'm expecting 200k optimistically, but DK flopping doesn't give me confidence.

Well that kinda explains why nobody really gives a damn about WiiU in Japan...

Its the same reason as the rest of the world: lack of software.

sörine

Banned
the games you listed seem to be way more handheld oriented than the ones you are quoting but whatever carry on with the ps4 is dead narrative as that isn't going to change for the time being and none of those games are likely to come out this year to prove anything either way
They all did pretty well on console last gen, better than most of the PS4 list. I just don't think chalkboard arguments are all that compelling on either side. Both consoles have more systemic issues making them undesirable.

Not sure who would argue against this. It's always games. People like to blame other factors, but it kind of is always games (and price too, I guess).

"but Wii U has better library than PS4/XB1", list wars, etc.
I'm pretty sure plenty of people will

Top Bottom