• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2014 (Apr 21 - Apr 27)

Metallix87

I think it's worth noting that looking at historical trends, Fire Emblem is a lot like modern Zelda - the handheld entries sold well, the console entries always sold a lot less. We're talking about ~150k on both GC and Wii, and ~250k on GBA and DS. The 3DS entry exploding is an indication of that trend expanding. So far all the Nintendo franchises on WiiU are doing significantly worse than the same franchises on Wii, so there's little reason to think that a FE on the WiiU would buck the trend, much less a vague FE spinoff/tie-in/crossover game no one knows anything about.
Fair enough.

SmokyDave

I actually disagree. As of right now, I think the Xbox One actually has the best exclusives of the three.
Well, as you know, success is earned and deserved based on software. Which of the two is more successful? That'll tell you which has the best software.

Not nearly as limiting as no sticks, d-pad, or buttons, and you know it.
Indeed, that is true.

Metallix87

Really? As of right now or in development?
As in available right now, and mind you, I don't own one or plan to own one anytime soon.

Well, as you know, success is earned and deserved based on software. Which of the two is more successful? That'll tell you which has the best software.
Indeed, which is why I'm so perplexed. Maybe my tastes in games just isn't aligning with the average consumer much...

in all fairness, if I were to pick one series to be unaffected by the Wii-->Wii U drop, it'd be Fire Emblem (it's already niche to begin with after all)
that being said, 150k isn't exactly stellar anyway (what a shame, Radiant Dawn was great too >_>)

I'm speaking simply of Japan. I'm still not sure why, given it's library, the PS4 is doing so well in the West.

If Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, FIFA were as popular in Japan as they are the rest of the world proportionally, (and if Japan is as thirsty for next-gen as well), we'd be seeing over a million PS4s in Japan by now.

Unfortunately, Japan has not shown the same eagerness to move to current-gen that quickly, (Yakuza/MGSV sales still favor PS3), and the titles that are proportionally as popular in Japan compared to those big-time AAA western titles... are nowhere in sight.

The equivalents for CoD, BF, AC, FIFA in Japan are pretty much FF,RE, PES, DQ, handheld MH.

And with the exception of PES, none of said titles are showing any signs of appearing in current gen anytime soon.

Dragon

Banned
I actually disagree. As of right now, I think the Xbox One actually has the best exclusives of the three.

I could see an argument for the WiiU but really I'm surprised, especially in this thread, to see the Xbox One propagated as the best exclusives of the three. Not going to get into list wars, just surprised.

sörine;110087902 said:
They all did pretty well on console last gen, better than most of the PS4 list. I just don't think chalkboard arguments are all that compelling on either side. Both consoles have more systemic issues making them undesirable.

Your list is very much a joke.

Wii____ titles have collapsed spectacularly.
DQ on WiiU?Lol?
WiiU may get a MH4U, not really a big seller. 200-300k
Taiko has flopped on WiiU
Kirby will follow the likes of DK.

So your left with Mario, MK and Smash.

TheChaos0

She's not that bad.......lol

FFX HD is at 550k iirc. It is the best selling HD remaster by a notable amount.

It outsold LR combined right? And I was talking about yandere's in general.

So glad with SAO sales. It shows that PSP IP can grow on Vita, even with a fraction of the userbase. But it needs to be a high quality game and exclusive as well. Miku Diva F 2nd sales suffered because of that.

Hardware bump was lower than I expected, though.

I'm afraid f2's sales are due to them releasing both SKUs at the same time, instead of releasing the PS3 one down the line with the DLC included or something.

Hammer24

Banned
Why can´t we just pretend, that the announcement of the XB1 launch in Japan singlehandedly killed the hardware market? Just for fun?
Everything is selling abysmal right now, and seeing you guys fight bitterly over these scraps feels like corpse looting. :(

Celine

It's not that simple though, is it? If it was, everyone would bow to their mobile overlords without complaint.
Mobile gaming has a different business model compared to dedicated handheld like 3DS and Vita.

Looking at 3DS softwate charts and comparing to what was available at the time it's easy to understand why 3DS was so dominant.

I do thik WiiU has a better library, if still anemic and sad. But clearly PS4 has the most appealing library (in the west).

I'm talking about the people on GAF who try to promote the Wii U's library while putting down the other two consoles, and you know who I'm talking about.

Takao

Banned
I'm afraid f2's sales are due to them releasing both SKUs at the same time, instead of releasing the PS3 one down the line with the DLC included or something.

That's what he meant with the exclusive comment. There's clearly a set amount of Miku fans, and instead of getting them to double dip SEGA split them.

SmokyDave

Indeed, which is why I'm so perplexed. Maybe my tastes in games just isn't aligning with the average consumer much...
Ugh, I'm right there with ya. Peasants can't appreciate Tokyo Highway Challenge and now I'm left replaying the Dreamcast versions for eternity.

sörine

Banned
Your list is very much a joke.

Wii____ titles have collapsed spectacularly.
DQ on WiiU?Lol?
WiiU may get a MH4U, not really a big seller. 200-300k
Taiko has flopped on WiiU
Kirby will follow the likes of DK.

So your left with Mario, MK and Smash.
That was sort of the point. Listing yesterday's greatest hits didn't amount to too much for Wii U, I don't place too much faith in doing the same for PS4 either. The problems for both consoles are bigger than that.

RM8

One of WiiU's biggest issues IMO is 3DS. You may look at NSMBU and think "well, people had enough of NSMB!". But NSMB2 sold like 7 million copies, didn't it? The thing is, 3DS has 2D Donkey Kong, 2D Mario and 3D Mario too, and they're great, and sold great. Didn't Pikmin 3 boost WiiU sales more than 3D World in Japan? That could be because there's no Pikmin anywhere else. Sadly, Mario Kart 8 has to compete with Mario Kart 7, and Smash Bros. is basically the same game on both consoles, at least characters-wise.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Indeed, that is true.

Wait what? So the Wii had the best software last gen. As does the 3DS.

Ok then.

Metallix87

One of WiiU's biggest issues IMO is 3DS. You may look at NSMBU and think "well, people had enough of NSMB!". But NSMB2 sold like 7 million copies, didn't it? The thing is, 3DS has 2D Donkey Kong, 2D Mario and 3D Mario too, and they're great, and sold great. Didn't Pikmin 3 boost WiiU sales more than 3D World in Japan? That could be because there's no Pikmin anywhere else. Sadly, Mario Kart 8 has to compete with Mario Kart 7, and Smash Bros. is basically the same game on both consoles, at least characters-wise.
I think there's a lot of truth to this.

sörine;110090440 said:
That was sort of the point. Listing yesterday's greatest hits didn't amount to too much for Wii U, I don't place too much faith in doing the same for PS4 either. The problems for both consoles are bigger than that.

Thats some false equivalency right there.

FFX Hd : 550k
MGS GZ: 310k+
RE6: 850k+
GTAV: 700k+
Tales of Xillia: 650k
Yakuza Ishin: 350k

These aren't yesterdays franchises and unlike your list, the franchises do best on consoles.

sense

sörine;110090440 said:

what do you mean by that? i honestly don't see many problems with the ps4 system wise when it comes to desirability and functionality. maybe BC? the only problem i see is games especially japanese oriented games and the lack of it right now and they are coming over the next two years and those are in no danger of being cancelled or moved to a different platform considering they are more home console oriented and cannot be duplicated well on a smartphone or a tablet. atleast the ones announced are bound to come out seeing as the console is doing very well outside japan.

Road

Medical imaging was probably too narrow a description; essentially Sony seem to have been making a series of investments for an extended period of time now in medical technologies, the latest of which is a genomic data platform venture with Illumina. It's also a global market worth $300B and expected to grow to $350 by 2018, even just endoscopy is forecast to be worth $35B in 4 years. And these are typically higher margin products.

Sony's new business segment is real estate.

They will start by selling the garage where all the people involved with Vita work.

Fularu

Banned
Presumably he's referring to exclusive entries in those IPs (or at least not a spinoff/demo like Yakuza/MGS), and while yes, those are all smaller than Mario, they attract different audiences.

Describing FFXIV PS4's performance as "a fraction of the Wii U version of DQX" is a complete fabrication:

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} (¥3.394) - 4.858 / 36.185 (-84%)
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 9.900 / 43.202 (-70%)

Yes, it's selling worse but DQX is the more popular game in Japan, and the difference between the two isn't really big.
DQX WiiU version is close to 200k. Afaik by june last year it was supposed to be beyond 150k (retail + digital), with 80k+ units beeing sold with the version2 release last december.

Jamix012

SAO numbers seem really, really great but...
I'm a little concerned. That Vita bump is negligible for having just released one of its biggest games. Back to sub 20k next week?

PS4 continues its (temporary?) slide into irrelevence. Obviously having games on the system will help, but the longer it remains a failing the console, the less of a "recovery" I think it'll make.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Dont see the reason behind it considering we have had the 2k unit for quite some time now.

that's what I figured. Was wondering if they were trying to get the game out in any way, shape, or form.

I guess they figured it won't be too hot in JPN. How were the console BL2 received anyways there?

Takao

Banned
DQX WiiU version is close to 200k. Afaik by june last year it was supposed to be beyond 150k (retail + digital), with 80k+ units beeing sold with the version2 release last december.

Oh, so instead of comparing something we actually have numbers on, you're talking about digital figures and the future. That's completely fair.

Famitsu's last report on DQX had the game at 80k on Wii U physically.

Two weeks after launch, DQX Wii U and FFXIV PS4 are less than 10k apart and that's impressive for XIV. It's on a smaller userbase, and the game itself only sold ~250k on PS3, compared to DQX's ~650k on Wii.

SAO numbers seem really, really great but...
I'm a little concerned. That Vita bump is negligible for having just released one of its biggest games. Back to sub 20k next week?

Probably later. Next week will have Golden Week numbers.

And Vita has had many 100k+ FW games, but they don't translate into big bumps. It is not like 2012 when 100k FW games provided 20-30k hardware bumps (as the install base was very small).

Sony's new business segment is real estate.

They will start by selling the garage where all the people involved with Vita work.
For a moment I thought you were just making a joke about their building sales.

I guess considering they've essentially become a financial services company now in Japan, it's not completely out there.

Frillen

It's the software, as you said. It clearly has the best library.

This isn't necessarily true, as quite a few gamers buy a console for what will come. I have a few friends who haven't bought a single PS4 game since launch, but they know the heavy hitters will come down the road, just like with the PS3. Right now the software situation for the PS4 and the Bone are pretty barren, just like with every console that have just launched. But the majority of people choose the PS4 over the Xbone right now because Sony has taken all the right decisions since February 2013 while Microsoft hasn't.

AniHawk

Oh, so instead of comparing something we actually have numbers on, you're talking about digital figures and the future. That's completely fair.

Two weeks after launch, DQX Wii U and FFXIV PS4 are less than 10k apart and that's impressive for XIV. It's on a smaller userbase, and the game itself only sold ~250k on PS3, compared to DQX's ~650k on Wii.

was the dqx wii -> wii u promotion extended to retail, or was it digital only?

I'm somewhat curious whether the unannounced info-dump will be successful in driving interest outside of their core audience (who already have the system and don't need much convincing to get the game anyway). Presumably, they'll also be doing some promotion through traditional media buys, I haven't really seen any locally though.

Takao

Banned
you know, the closer we get to MK8's release the less I feel it'll cause a major bump in sales

Really? Of the announced games for Wii U, I expect it to be the one that pushes the most hardware. I don't expect Mario Kart to be able to keep the platform going for months, though.

was the dqx wii -> wii u promotion extended to retail, or was it digital only?

It was probably digital-only. IIRC FFXIV had a similar promotion too.

sörine

Banned
Thats some false equivalency right there.

FFX Hd : 550k
MGS GZ: 310k+
RE6: 850k+
GTAV: 700k+
Tales of Xillia: 650k
Yakuza Ishin: 350k

These aren't yesterdays franchises and unlike your list, the franchises do best on consoles.
DQX: 850k+
NSMBU: 1.1m
Wii Party U: 700k
SM3DW: 550k
Taiko Wii DLX: 550k

Does it really matter if they sell better on handhelds if their console sales are still above most of the titles you're listing? Nothing's certain in love and chalkboards.

what do you mean by that? i honestly don't see many problems with the ps4 system wise when it comes to desirability and functionality. maybe BC? the only problem i see is games especially japanese oriented games and the lack of it right now and they are coming over the next two years and those are in no danger of being cancelled or moved to a different platform considering they are more home console oriented and cannot be duplicated well on a smartphone or a tablet. atleast the ones announced are bound to come out seeing as the console is doing very well outside japan.
Well briefly general market trends are a big issue, people have been moving away from consoles for awhile but now they're moving away from dedicated game machines amd traditional gaming entirely. More specifically regarding PS4 it has weak 3rd party support, it's not getting much in terms if new announcements, the system from initial design on to launch is overwhelingly western focused, it's coming off a relatively weak predecessor, It's local 1st party software spread is weak. The waiting game (sort of) worked out for PS3 but in pretty much every area it was still much stronger than PS4 is looking. What's desirable about PS4 from a Japanese perspective really?

I also think there's room for some of those franchises to transition to handhelds better than they have before. In most of those cases the reason they did better on consoles previously is because that's where all the effort went. Tales is an example of a franchise that I think Namco fumbled bigtime with handhelds previously by not putting a big budget mainline title on PSP. MGS and KH did great on PSP when given a "full" effort, so has 3D Mario on 3DS and I think most of us are expecting the same for Smash Bros. PS4's struggling sales with no sign of recovery soon may give 3rd parties pause and make some take another look at Vita to transition to instead for Japan oriented efforts like Tales or Yakuza.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
that's what I figured. Was wondering if they were trying to get the game out in any way, shape, or form.

I guess they figured it won't be too hot in JPN. How were the console BL2 received anyways there?

Dont remember actually, as generally I pay little to no attention to how Western titles do in Japan.

Found old MC data.

[PS3] Borderlands 2 (Take-Two, 10/25/12) – 36,068 (New)
[360] Borderlands 2 (Take-Two, 10/25/12) – 18,699 (New)

I honestly don't think Nintendo cares too much about that. In the future, I see them releasing the same exact game on both systems when they are unified under a common Platform. Why create a duplicate game from the ground up when you can just create it once? They should see a huge output increase with this, which is the thing that has been slowing them down the most. Output is their bottleneck. They're finally addressing it.

And frankly, I don't think they care if the 3DS takes sales away from the WiiU. The money is in the software, not the hardware. As long as somebody owns a Nintendo system, I think Nintendo is happy. And I'd think they would rather somebody buy $350 in software than $350 in hardware to get the console along with their handheld. Much much better margins.

Has there been any sign in a collapse in the market for games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tales of, RE, in a similar vein to the collapse of the Wii ___ line, Taiko and Mario platformers on consoles, without being given away in bundles?

The only candidate for transition to handheld is probably Tales, since it's audience outside of Japan is more limited. Konami isn't going to put one of their few relevant franchises only on the 3DS. Capcom isn't going to mainline Resident Evil on handhelds. Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't going on Vita any time soon. Because they want US dollars, euros and British pounds, not just yen. It's not that the PS4 looks particularly desirable as a Japanese platform, it's that it will be a global platform to sell on, alongside the XBO.

Has there been any sign in a collapse in the market for games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tales of, RE, in a similar vein to the collapse of the Wii ___ line, Taiko and Mario platformers on consoles, without being given away in bundles?

The only candidate for transition to handheld is probably Tales, since it's audience outside of Japan is more limited. Konami isn't going to put one of their few relevant franchises only on the 3DS. Capcom isn't going to mainline Resident Evil on handhelds. Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't going on Vita any time soon. Because they want US dollars, euros and British pounds, not just yen. It's not that the PS4 looks particularly desirable as a Japanese platform, it's that it will be a global platform to sell on, alongside the XBO.

Among those mentioned, Final Fantasy is definitely in the most trouble. The most recent one, Lightning Returns, is the worst-selling FF of them all, and may not have turned a profit.

Fularu

Banned

I honestly tried to find the quote about the sales total (at DQX's release time, subscribers had the option of upgrading to the WiiU version for a small fee and the producers discussed about it). I read it in one of our past MC thread but I just can't find it again.

Also the userbase difference between the WiiU back in June l'art year and the PS4 right now isn't *that* big to play the install base card.

Was there such a digital promotion for FFXIV subscribers who wanted to play on PS4? If so, the numbers could be much higher (and rightfully so, mmo players don't mind buying digital if it makes sense)

sörine;110101045 said:
DQX: 850k+
NSMBU: 1.1m
Wii Party U: 700k
SM3DW: 550k
Taiko Wii DLX: 550k

lol why don't we elaborate:

DQX: Retail: 570k Wii ---- 80k WiiU

Compare that to:

MG GZ: 200k PS3 ---- 110k PS4
YI: 220k PS3 ---- 120k PS4

Oh and WiiU had an install base of 850k

NSMBU and Wii Party U were both given in bundles at an insanely low price. The bundles accounted for like 600k of their sales.

Why don't we look at something like Wii Fit. I think we all know why.

Also why not use Taiko WiiU? How does that hold up against previous iterations?

All those franchises have seen severe to notable decline from making the transition over to WiiU.

There are more examples too, like Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong.

The transition from PS3-PS4 is evidently better and shows no such sign.

jeremy1456

Indeed, that is true.

So what you're saying is the Vita has a garbage software lineup?

Off topic a little but it did only sell 10k in the NPD. Since 'success is earned based on software' I mean.

Top Bottom