• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 30 - May 06)

These are my predictions:

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 65.000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 80.000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 110.000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 175.000

We'd just need a good list of games. It's an idea.

We can predict numbers for games will sell incredibly well, and for specific games for which sales are important. In the first case, I'd say B2/W2, NSMB2, RE6, DQM:TW3D, Animal Crossing; for the second group, games like Oni Training, DmC, Soul Sacrifice, Style Savvy 2, PLvsPW. But I'd wait for E3, so we can include also Wii U line-up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some Comgnet numbers and comparisons, since it's been a while.

[NDS]Pokèmon Black & White 2 - 913pt
[NDS]Pokèmon Black & White - 1191pt
[NDS]Pokèmon Platinum - 355pt

I think this will be the beginning of the sequel era and the end of the expansion one, for Pokèmon.

[3DS]Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - 270pt
[NDS]Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 256pt

It'll be the best debut yet on 3DS probably. At least for Famitsu, since according to them MH3G debuted with less than 500k.

[PS3]Dragon's Dogma - 198pt

This will do good, probably. Not one-million-copies good. :p

[PSV]Persona 4: The Golden - 116pt
[PSP]Persona 3: Portable - 75pt

This will be the first Vita game doing good numbers not just for a game on Vita

[Wii]Dragon Quest X: USB Bundle - 34pt

One of the most interesting releases due to all the circumstances: online based title, console on which it is released, ...

I think this will be the beginning of the sequel era and the end of the expansion one, for Pokèmon.

It's Pokémon.
Btw, I do think B2/W2 has its origin in the particular situation DS is facing; huge installed base, two generations on the same platform... I don't think we won't see a third iteration for the sixth generation, probably Grey is in the pipeline as well.

[3DS]Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - 270pt
[NDS]Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - 256pt

Given its nature of remake, I would have put TW3D closer to Joker 2 Professional than Joker 2. A first week debut over 500k still seems unlikely to me, but 300-400k should be a given.

Road

Hey Road, secondapps countdown doesn't work anymore :(

"access restricted to this domain"

Weird, it works for me: http://i.minus.com/ib1KA90s6vJvqv.jpg

Are you using m.neogaf?

Anyway, again:

Prediction League May, 2012

Predict the LTD as of May 27 for these titles:

[3DS] Mario Tennis Open -
[PS3] Dragon's Dogma -
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment -
[PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing -

Deadline: May, 16th, 11:00 am EDT

Rules:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37813029&postcount=497

Celine

Given its nature of remake, I would have put TW3D closer to Joker 2 Professional than Joker 2. A first week debut over 500k still seems unlikely to me, but 300-400k should be a given.
It's still the remake of the first game in the series, and the best selling one too.

There might have been a few extra FPS on the Wii, and i'm sure that more Wii-only owners would have bought it. But in the long run i think that the graphics difference would have been a big factor (also 30fps VS 60fps). The reason why i think this is because Black Ops and MW3 were released for the Wii at the same day as the PS3/Xbox 360 version, yet people prefered the PS3/Xbox 360 version. There are tons of Wii owners out there, so they could have picked up the Wii version if they wanted to. But yeah, this is all hypothetically, it cant really be proven at this point.

Online features were probably the bigger reason. Many fans expected Nintendo to at least let 3rd parties use all the online features they wanted to add, but it was soon clear that this wasn't going to happen. COD was actually the one series that pushed Nintendo the farthest in terms of what they allowed 3rd parties to do with online. Hats off to Treyarch for actually getting to the dinosaur Nintendo. Allthough having a game that despite being a cutdown version still managed to sell over a million sure helped their bargaining.

I'd say the missed launch of MW, coupled with the reluctance of Nintendo to fully embrace online were the biggest reasons that COD on Wii allways remained a small blip on their sales figures. Nintendo miscalculated bigtime, and had they designed the network capabilities of the Wii with that mindset, it might've looked different.

And I do think that the same will hold true on WiiU and Vita. Unless both Sony and/or Nintendo would offer something so compelling to have players migrate (at least partially) to the WiiU or Vita versions. And I'm not talking mere bonus content, I'm talking early releases, exclusive missions etc, which frankly is never going to happen.

COD isn't going to tip new systems into market dominance. It would take a massive fuck up on Microsofts side to let that happen.

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting E3. both Vita and 3DS should have a nice amount of titles there. For the Vita it's going to be the real first test as to how 3rd parties are invested in it, and with 3DS it's going to be the day where you can weed out those 3rd parties who use the plattform as a shovelware dump, and those who actually put effort into it.

Predictions

[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 66,666
[PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 55,555
[3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 111,111
[PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 222,222

Elfteiroh

Looks like Fire Emblem DLC is popular in Japan.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/theme-10002101933.html

Sadly I'm not fluent and Google translate failed me. :(
What does the part saying it's popular says exactly?

Google give me this :
The price is 300 yen, that value is obtained with a lot of experience than usual.
The number you clearly have not been published, even in business meetings the other day
because there was, "explains that you are downloading premium content many people" very,
would be better to say as a business and was successful. I thought as a business article [reader] is correct, but as the game is incorrect. To devise a game fun play [article reader. Was introduced last Sun -like "weather! Game Blow out" was also raised in the continued entry of.
Not really understandable. xD

Orgen

Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 71.000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 59.000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 144.000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 183.000

Cipherr

It's not very nice to post a japanese blog without explaining what it says you know :( Google translate sucks for that kind of things...

"Fire Emblem awakening": ■ 3DS sale

From 17 this week, started broadcasting a "paradise of Den Mommy that" a new pay additional content.
The price is 300 yen, that value is obtained with a lot of experience than usual.
There were no clear figures are published, even in the recent business meeting
Because there was, "explains that you are downloading premium content very many people",
Would be better to say as a business and was successful.

I thought as a business article [reader] is correct, but as the game is incorrect.
To devise a game fun play [article reader.

Was introduced in last Sun-like "weather! Game Blow out" was also raised of the continued entry.
Because the consent of all, If you are interested, please read about the paid content this also.

Earn money and experience earned value in the "Fire Emblem" certainly was not easy.
Remove the meantime if you have a strong weapon in the initial equipment and replace it with the cheapest thing.
Earn money by selling a large gambling might die in the arena with a single blow.

-The importance of the funds obtained by the accumulation of steady effort
· The gratitude of the equipment "silver" to go through a lot in hand
-A sense of tension called "mono or relief obtained by" know when to have the gold enemy

On the other hand for beginners strict, these fun was even greater sense of accomplishment is overcome when
"I have to pay plenty of money can be increased ¥ 300"
Was lost in the "raise oodles also have to pay 300 yen value experience more."

Many users come of this work is one of the selling in the "passing communication" is
Doing to come eye to the list packed full of exclusive weapon,
Tata does not play a decent first tooth.
To challenge in the fight against weapons is too poor, to scout the funds are inconsequential.
While doing the "passing communication" from the era for many years DS,
I brought the "unpleasant" is the first time someone unknown.

Since nothing is just causing an allergic reaction even without looking at doing
I tried to purchase a map is easy to increase funds to pay 300 yen to try
Was able to earn tens of thousands only played two or three times.
Deposited in the luxury convoy of weapons and we'd meet, and I had to make ends meet in the iron and steel
Is simple enough to be a fool seems.

I do not need to kill before the enemy have outrun the gold is outside the stage,
Also afford to give everyone a magic silver and advanced equipment. Do whatever you want even better weapons.
And, in turn, also the value and experience to do the same thing.

Why is it really good.

Or 2 fold increase in the value of experience as a reward after clearing
You can play from the beginning and at the level of translation is different as it is.
Nintendo is remodeling tools, etc., but it was probably a negative
It is being done in this work, or remodeling of the manufacturer is not official, so to speak.

When you turn on the female tradition "character is not dead once Resurrection" that is
Was acceptable only good thing is you have to select it yourself.
However, this is just impossible.
Future was decided to turn OFF the passing, in the no-touch forward additional content.
Mind you, this story is fun, bar none.
What fun, the handling of additional content I wanted was more cautious.

iHLSfFYt8ZrFi.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Stop with Google Translations, gentlemen. Just ask to someone who knows Japanese to make a little summary in English about it.

NeonZ

He seems to be saying that the DLC has been successful commercially, but he complains about the gold farming chapter DLC actually hurting the overall experience of the game.

Edit: Actually, yeah, it's the other way around. He briefly mentions some hesitation, but the overall conclusion seems to be positive.

donny2112

Not really understandable. xD

I don't understand the issues in getting the gist out of Google Translations. Maybe it's because I've stared at so many? It reminds me of reading Old English. In Old/Middle English if you try to make sense of each word, it's all gobbledy-gook, but if you sort of sound it out and read it aloud in your head, it reads fine. For Google Translations, you have to look at the idea trying to be put across and just focus on the gist, instead of looking for straight-up readable content. You may not get all the key points or subtleties, but the main point should come across. Probably the same way Japanese speakers can use Google Translate for English websites. :p

Without seeing the original Japanese and using Cipher's post ...

"Fire Emblem awakening": ■ 3DS sale

From 17 this week, started broadcasting a "paradise of Den Mommy that" a new pay additional content.

From the 17th this week, new pay additional content called <Japanese name> will be put out. The price is 300 yen, and the value of it is due to the extra experience points it brings.

There were no clear figures are published, even in the recent business meeting
Because there was, "explains that you are downloading premium content very many people",
Would be better to say as a business and was successful.
I thought as a business article [reader] is correct, but as the game is incorrect.
To devise a game fun play [article reader.

No expected sales figures were published in the recent business meeting, since DLC can be downloaded by unknown amounts of people. (not sure on next line) As a business article, it was the right way to go, but as a game, it's better to look at it from a fun perspective. (?)

Was introduced in last Sun-like "weather! Game Blow out" was also raised of the continued entry.
Because the consent of all, If you are interested, please read about the paid content this also.

(Not sure) If you're interested in the DLC, read up more on it.

Earn money and experience earned value in the "Fire Emblem" certainly was not easy.
Remove the meantime if you have a strong weapon in the initial equipment and replace it with the cheapest thing.
Earn money by selling a large gambling might die in the arena with a single blow.

It's not easy to earn money and XP in Fire Emblem games. You can remove strong equipment and replace with weak equipment (to get more attack turns and earn incrementally more XP). You can also earn money/XP by gambling it with the arena, but there you can die with a single blow. (It helps to have some familiarity with FE to get this section :p )

-The importance of the funds obtained by the accumulation of steady effort
· The gratitude of the equipment "silver" to go through a lot in hand
-A sense of tension called "mono or relief obtained by" know when to have the gold enemy

- Funds are obtained by accumulation of steady effort/battling
- Great to have Silver (Best, non-Elite equipment), but it costs a lot
- Tension when fighting an enemy with a lot of gold (Did they add high pay-off enemies like Gold Golems in FE?)

On the other hand for beginners strict, these fun was even greater sense of accomplishment is overcome when
"I have to pay plenty of money can be increased ¥ 300"
Was lost in the "raise oodles also have to pay 300 yen value experience more."

On the other hand, this hardship brought a greater sense of accomplishment. Now, they can just buy the DLC to get extra money XP. (If the DLC can be repeatedly played through to get extra XP/money without the death risk of the arena, I'm all for it! :D )

Many users come of this work is one of the selling in the "passing communication" is
Doing to come eye to the list packed full of exclusive weapon,
Tata does not play a decent first tooth.
To challenge in the fight against weapons is too poor, to scout the funds are inconsequential.
While doing the "passing communication" from the era for many years DS,
I brought the "unpleasant" is the first time someone unknown.

Many users are looking for streetpass to try to get exclusive weapons (not sure what the "Tata" part means). (Something about the weapons being poor and insignificant funds from past StreePass-type stuff on DS. Maybe that was a feature on the JPN FE that didn't come to the U.S.?)

Since nothing is just causing an allergic reaction even without looking at doing
I tried to purchase a map is easy to increase funds to pay 300 yen to try
Was able to earn tens of thousands only played two or three times.
Deposited in the luxury convoy of weapons and we'd meet, and I had to make ends meet in the iron and steel
Is simple enough to be a fool seems.
I do not need to kill before the enemy have outrun the gold is outside the stage,
Also afford to give everyone a magic silver and advanced equipment. Do whatever you want even better weapons.
And, in turn, also the value and experience to do the same thing.

Since it's not a big deal, went ahead and bought the 300 yen map and was able to earn tens of thousands in only 2 or 3 play throughs. Deposited it in the convoy, and didn't have to make do with iron/steel weapons anymore. It's easy enough, it seems. Now I can afford to give everyone magic silver and advanced equipment and do whatever you want with the better weapons. XP goes the same way.

Didn't do the end, but hopefully that was somewhat close to the original text's meaning. Again, specifics can be lacking, but general gist should be the key. Much better than "Ha, ha, stupid unreadable Google Translation!"

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree. The first statement (Vita has no games!) is a comment from a player: it is a player saying "hey I want more games on this machine!" The second is a comment from a businessman: it is an analyst saying "putting games on this machine is not an economically wise decision."

Now, it's fine to be a gamer. It's also fine to be an analyst. However, I get at least slightly suspicious when people rapidly switch between the gamer perspective and analyst perspective depending on which view is more critical to the Vita/3DS/whatever it is we're talking about.
Yeah, that is what i was thinking. Maybe it was ment as a mix between the 'businessman way' and the 'gamer'. The Vita sales are low, so it is a bigger risk to make games for it. So i can see the arguement for that, about being caution of making games for it. But maybe they still want to see the games regardless. But i just had to ask anyway why the two different arguements ("needs more games" and "not wise to make games") were used to be sure :)

Speaking about Sega's support for the Vita, i think it is great that some companies take risk like this. It makes sales age much more interesting in my opinion, since then there is more to talk about.

Oh, the 360 version was always going to be on top. Live and Halo (i.e. built-in FPS audience) would've made sure of that, even if 360 hadn't launched a year before PS3/Wii. The Wii version, as it stands now, is even way behind the PS3 version, though. It's that gap that I feel would've been substantially smaller had FPS support of the big multi-platform titles, especially COD4, had gone to Wii as well as PS360. It's not about Wii dominating PS360. It's about the Wii ecosystem being a good place to put FPSs or not. Non-IW COD was the only consistent arrival there, and missing COD4 really cut the legs out from a chance to make the series something much bigger than it ended up being on Wii.

Of course the lack of architecture on Wii to allow easy ports was the real kicker, but Treyarch proved that if the developer cared enough, it can absolutely be done in a reduced fashion.
Sounds fair, i see your viewpoint on this. When we talk about multiplatform owners, i think in most cases that the PS3/PC/Xbox 360 would be the preferred systems due to better graphics and more online capabilities. But if we talk about Wii-only owners, then maybe the FPS market there could be a bit bigger if Modern Warfare was there at day one. Then it could be worth to spend some extra money on porting the game to the Wii. That sounds plausible, i agree with that :)

Online features were probably the bigger reason. Many fans expected Nintendo to at least let 3rd parties use all the online features they wanted to add, but it was soon clear that this wasn't going to happen. COD was actually the one series that pushed Nintendo the farthest in terms of what they allowed 3rd parties to do with online. Hats off to Treyarch for actually getting to the dinosaur Nintendo. Allthough having a game that despite being a cutdown version still managed to sell over a million sure helped their bargaining.

I'd say the missed launch of MW, coupled with the reluctance of Nintendo to fully embrace online were the biggest reasons that COD on Wii allways remained a small blip on their sales figures. Nintendo miscalculated bigtime, and had they designed the network capabilities of the Wii with that mindset, it might've looked different.
Good point about online :) How is the online on the Wii by the way, is it a lot different? I know that it supports max 5v5 players, but what about the other stuff?

And I do think that the same will hold true on WiiU and Vita. Unless both Sony and/or Nintendo would offer something so compelling to have players migrate (at least partially) to the WiiU or Vita versions. And I'm not talking mere bonus content, I'm talking early releases, exclusive missions etc, which frankly is never going to happen.

COD isn't going to tip new systems into market dominance. It would take a massive fuck up on Microsofts side to let that happen.

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting E3. both Vita and 3DS should have a nice amount of titles there. For the Vita it's going to be the real first test as to how 3rd parties are invested in it, and with 3DS it's going to be the day where you can weed out those 3rd parties who use the plattform as a shovelware dump, and those who actually put effort into it.
For Vita, i'm curious if it will be a game on its own, or if it will actually be Black Ops 2 that support cross-platform play. That could be quite interesting in my opinion, not just gaming wise, but also sales wise. The only thing that i'm "worried" about with the Vita version is the draw distance. Not regarding the graphics capabilities, but that it might be harder to see the enemy at a longer distance due to the smaller screen. That could have a big impact if there is cross platform gaming. But we'll see.

For the WiiU, i "know" that it will be a port of Black Ops 2. I dont expect to see any exclusive maps or mission, but i do think that we will see the use of the WiiU controller for recon/assualt drones usage. And maybe some touch screen minigames stuff, like defusing a bomb or something.

Elfteiroh

I don't understand the issues in getting the gist out of Google Translations. Maybe it's because I've stared at so many? It reminds me of reading Old English. In Old/Middle English if you try to make sense of each word, it's all gobbledy-gook, but if you sort of sound it out and read it aloud in your head, it reads fine. For Google Translations, you have to look at the idea trying to be put across and just focus on the gist, instead of looking for straight-up readable content. You may not get all the key points or subtleties, but the main point should come across. Probably the same way Japanese speakers can use Google Translate for English websites. :p

Without seeing the original Japanese and using Cipher's post ...

Didn't do the end, but hopefully that was somewhat close to the original text's meaning. Again, specifics can be lacking, but general gist should be the key. Much better than "Ha, ha, stupid unreadable Google Translation!"
Thanks! Very helpful. Never played, and frankly, I never was interested in any Fire Emblem before this one, so many things didn't make sense mainly because of this (like the silver equipment, xp/money gambling, and the last part you did).
Thank you again. :) Usually I have no problem with Google Translate, but my unfamiliarity with the setting and the game didn't help at all.

matmanx1

Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 74,369
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 60,890
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 121,147
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 205,556

muu

The only relevant thing to come out of Sinobi's post is that in the regular showcase event for vendors Nintendo explained that 'many people were downloading the DLC contents." Everything else is his "Nintendo did it wrong!" editorial. Just typical bitching saying that the DLC made everything too easy. The obvious answer is "then don't use it," but the people that make this argument don't seem to like this solution. Similar crazy folks have polluted the current FE Awakening thread, though people largely ignore them.

Next version of FE should probably come w/ an achievement page so that the supposed hardcore players wanting their e-peen can unlock that "beat game in Lunatic Classic w/o accessing any extra stages/events" achievement.

donny2112

Next version of FE should probably come w/ an achievement page so that the supposed hardcore players wanting their e-peen can unlock that "beat game in Lunatic Classic w/o accessing any extra stages/events" achievement.

I've played the two FE U.S. games on normal and hard, and the two U.S. console ones on normal. Spent well over 500 hours on all that. From that, I can personally say that I hate and love the arena. Love because it lets you bulk up your team for XP and sometimes gold and Hate because one bad slipup killing your character can cost tens of hours of work. If the DLC makes for a less frustrating way to bulk up your team to make the later levels less frustrating, I'm all for it. I'm a huge FE fan (in my opinion :p ) but I'm not a glutton for wasting tons of time on a throwaway because my character died due to what should've been a low-risk gamble. If the DLC helps in that way, Nintendo's got me hooked. If it takes achievements to make others happy, go for it.

Making a mistake late in a level forcing me to restart to keep my whole team in-tact and losing a couple of hours of playtime, I can take. Losing a couple of hours of play-time because a 600 bet arena fight criticaled a character is not something I want to take. :p

LOCK

SE doing good for a change. But I don't know how encouraging this is for their long development times.....

Good point about online :) How is the online on the Wii by the way, is it a lot different? I know that it supports max 5v5 players, but what about the other stuff?
The online has gotten fairly robust with MW3 now. You have Voice Chat, Friend Invites (without Friendcodes), a (glitched) recent Player list, all weapons and maps and the game mostly runs reasonably well since the latest patch.
Hacking is actually pretty low, but that could be just due to the games low sales, lack of interest and the fact that they can patch it.
There are a few Killstreaks missing, basically all those that would require the Wii to draw the whole map at once (Predator missile, Helicopter gunner, AC130...
I actually like the game more without those killstreaks. It definetly doesn't lose anything from it. The basic experience is pretty much up there with the other versions, sans graphics of course, but the Pointer Controls really make the game a lot faster and deadlier.

For Vita, i'm curious if it will be a game on its own, or if it will actually be Black Ops 2 that support cross-platform play. That could be quite interesting in my opinion, not just gaming wise, but also sales wise. The only thing that i'm "worried" about with the Vita version is the draw distance. Not regarding the graphics capabilities, but that it might be harder to see the enemy at a longer distance due to the smaller screen. That could have a big impact if there is cross platform gaming. But we'll see.

For the WiiU, i "know" that it will be a port of Black Ops 2. I dont expect to see any exclusive maps or mission, but i do think that we will see the use of the WiiU controller for recon/assualt drones usage. And maybe some touch screen minigames stuff, like defusing a bomb or something.

I'm actually expecting Sony to continue tie ins with PS3 titles, but I think we're not going to see cross plattform play. For one it puts Vita owners at an unfair disadvantage due to the lower precision of the sticks, vs the DS3 ones. The games that would have me consider buying a Vita (not this year, since I'm allready short on cash) should offer at least auxilliary content instead of being mere ports. UCGA was a good example. A standalone title, with great gameplay, and probably the most polished Launch Title outside of Super Mario 64 or SMW.
I think Nintendo might have a good example to look at how to tie in both portable and home console games. The next SSB will have some sort of interaction between both versions, and I'm eager to see what that is. Shared trophies and stickers? Shared Single player progress? That kind of stuff could be key to really establish the Vita (and 3DS) as a companion device, that stands on it's own feet, but has the connectivity for those who care. It's going to be paramount for Sony to advertise the Vita as not just a PS3 on the go, but as an important and worthwhile extension of the home console space.

Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 45.000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 64.000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 180.000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 130.000

Yeshua

Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 50,000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 50,000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 120,000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 150,000

Kenka

Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 94.000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 72.000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 112.000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 157.000

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Predictions

05/17 2 weeks [PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 69.000
05/17 2 weeks [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute Portable Can't Be Continuing - 42.000
05/24 1 week [3DS] Mario Tennis Open - 118.000
05/24 1 week [PS3] Dragon's Dogma - 257.000

Pooya

^ they didn't call that chart "HD games" in previous years with same numbers, wondering if it's just for this year's forecast or it's just nothing.

test_account

XP-39C²
The online has gotten fairly robust with MW3 now. You have Voice Chat, Friend Invites (without Friendcodes), a (glitched) recent Player list, all weapons and maps and the game mostly runs reasonably well since the latest patch.
Hacking is actually pretty low, but that could be just due to the games low sales, lack of interest and the fact that they can patch it.
There are a few Killstreaks missing, basically all those that would require the Wii to draw the whole map at once (Predator missile, Helicopter gunner, AC130...
I actually like the game more without those killstreaks. It definetly doesn't lose anything from it. The basic experience is pretty much up there with the other versions, sans graphics of course, but the Pointer Controls really make the game a lot faster and deadlier.
Thanks for the info :) Good to hear that hacking is at a minimum. I experienced that myself on MW2 for PS3 for a brief period of time, and it really sucks the fun out of the game. Especially when people have cheats like god mode.

I could live without those killstreaks as well, but i love to take out predator missiles with the trophy system. Seeing a predator missle coming, putting up the trophy system fast (using Quick Draw Pro perk), then 5 meter before the missle is about to hit the ground, poof :) It doesnt always work, it depends on how close the predator missle is to the trophy system. But when it does work, its great hehe =) The trophy system can also stop (two of them) the AC-130 heavy shells , and also missles from Reapers (same here, stopping two missles).

I'm actually expecting Sony to continue tie ins with PS3 titles, but I think we're not going to see cross plattform play. For one it puts Vita owners at an unfair disadvantage due to the lower precision of the sticks, vs the DS3 ones. The games that would have me consider buying a Vita (not this year, since I'm allready short on cash) should offer at least auxilliary content instead of being mere ports. UCGA was a good example. A standalone title, with great gameplay, and probably the most polished Launch Title outside of Super Mario 64 or SMW.
I think Nintendo might have a good example to look at how to tie in both portable and home console games. The next SSB will have some sort of interaction between both versions, and I'm eager to see what that is. Shared trophies and stickers? Shared Single player progress? That kind of stuff could be key to really establish the Vita (and 3DS) as a companion device, that stands on it's own feet, but has the connectivity for those who care. It's going to be paramount for Sony to advertise the Vita as not just a PS3 on the go, but as an important and worthwhile extension of the home console space.
I havnt really used the analog sticks that much, but i think that they were fairly good in Uncharted Golden Abyss. And they work great in Super Stardust Delta. I'm waiting for Resistance Burning Skies to finally try out a FPS on the Vita. Hope that the controls works good :)

But yeah, i'm not sure that there will be cross platform play with Black Ops 2. Maybe there can be something like shared profile, that you only play Vita VS Vita, but when you level up etc., this will be unlocked in the PS3 version as well.

I agree, i'm also curious what Nintendo will do regarding Smash Bros (and maybe other titles as well). There isnt any info on what the cross platform stuff is, so it can be anything really.

Gweg

Neo Member
This is my first post. Be gentle, Neogaf.
Here's my translation of that article on Fire Emblem.
Much to my surprise, Google Translate does not suck as bad as I thought.
I've reused some of donny2112's translation since it was pretty much correct (good job !)
If people are interested, I can give the reader articles mentioned a whirl.

A 300 yen DLC was released the other day, named "Mummy's Paradise"
No exact figure has been released, but at a business meeting the other day, someone was explaining how "Lots of people are buying DLC". So I suppose it's been a pretty successful strategy.
&#12304;Reader article&#12305;This feels wrong from a gamer's point of view, but it seems like a good business move
&#12304;Reader article&#12305;The fun of min-maxing
The two articles above are from a blog I recommended the other day.
I entirely agree with the two, so people interested in DLC should give it a read.
It's not easy to earn money and XP in Fire Emblem games. You can remove strong equipment and replace with weak equipment (to get more attack turns and earn incrementally more XP). You can also earn money/XP by gambling it with the arena, but there you can die with a single blow.
- Funds are obtained by accumulation of steady effort/battling
- Great to have Silver (Best, non-Elite equipment), but it costs a lot
- Tension when fighting an enemy with a lot of gold [Note : Some enemies drop items that can be sold for a lot of money - from 1000 up to 99999. Source : walkthrough wiki for FE:Awakening]
On the other hand, this hardship brought a greater sense of accomplishment. Now, they can just buy the DLC to get extra money XP.
One of the selling points of this version was the Streetpass. But most of the users are filling their lists with very high-grade weapons.
If you're playing normally, you don't stand a chance. Your weapons are too weak to compete, and you don't have enough money to recruit them.
I've been using Streetpass since the days of the DS, but it's the first time I've had someone make me feel bad.

It would be stupid to just disparage the DLC without having tried it, so I bought one of the gold increasing maps for 300 yen.
In 2 or 3 plays, I made a couple ten thousand gold.
With it, I sent some high grade weapons to my main troops. It almost made me feel stupid for having stayed so long with Iron and Steel weapons.
No need to chase enemies with gold through the stage before they flee, and it now seems easy enough to give silver equip and high magic to all of my troops.
I now have enough gold to enhance my weapons too. And now they're saying they'll do the same with experience points.

Is that really okay ?
For completing the game, you're rewarded with double XP, which is very different from starting over with your accumulated levels.
Nintendo has always been against cheating devices, but what they're doing here is basically endorsed cheating.

When they started to provide a way around the "A character is gone for good once it dies", I decided not to use it.
This time I can't.
I won't use the streetpass anymore, and I won't touch the DLC.
The main game is more than fun enough anyway.
That's actually one of the reasons why I would have liked them to put some more thought to the DLC.

I guess Japanese gamers aren't as disillusioned as western ones. I doubt lots of people on Neogaf would be surprised by money grabbing/game destroying DLC. But if mainstream games like Fire Emblem start turning into freemium.......

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Welcome to the forum, and to sales-age, Gweg! Thanks for the translation.

It's about time the rest of Japan caught up with Capcom's strategy of excluding content from games (let's stop pretending it wouldn't have been covered by original budget anyway - it would have) to sell later at a premium. It's the way forward and all that.

magash

Welcome to the forum, and to sales-age, Gweg! Thanks for the translation.

It's about time the rest of Japan caught up with Capcom's strategy of excluding content from games (let's stop pretending it wouldn't have been covered by original budget anyway - it would have) to sell later at a premium. It's the way forward and all that.

I don't think Nintendo does that because Iwata categorically told his investors they will never cut content from games and sell them as DLC. Iwata also said Nintendo will not partake in the gatcha system mania that is sweeping many Japanese video game companies.

BKK

They include 3DS (and Wii DQ) in HD games, which even including both screens has less pixels than 480p. I think they just mean it to refer to traditional console games as opposed to social gaming and MMOs. Doesn't make much technical sense though.

donny2112

This is my first post. Be gentle, Neogaf.

Great and Thanks!

If the DLC is that compromising to the core of the game, may just hold off on the DLC until after beating the game. Should be able to get through on normal without too much frustration. If Hard gets really bad, then the DLC can help alleviate that frustration. It's the same mindset when using an AR on GCN or Ocarina on Wii for me. If the frustration is taking away the fun for too long, get past it and get back to enjoying the game (not in multi, though; if multi is too frustrating, find another group or just stop multi :p ). Sounds like the Streetpass could be broken pretty bad, though. Weapon triangle should rule that and not who can have the highest weapon. Maybe automatically force the other player to have, at most, one level of weapon above yours. Then the weapon/magic triangles can take over more. That was probably the intention, anyways. Doubt they wanted everyone to be loading up on the super-special weapons for StreetPass fun-play. :(

They only planed 3.9m for 2012 in Japan with DQX?

Well, no major FF games for this year I guess :(...
It's a subscrption based MMORPG, I'd hope they would project significantly less than the usual ~4m that DQ manages.

There is a major FF for this year too, though it's also going to be a comparably low seller (FFXIV 2.0 PC/PS3).

Top Bottom