• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2015 (May 11 - May 17)

Kikujiro

Kind of amazing that a FF game (even a remake of a remake) debuted with lower sales than Xenoblade 3D (also a remake). There isn't even an install base gulf between the n3DS and PS4 in Japan.

Your comparison makes no sense, you should compare it to the PS3/Vita release.

Scrawnton

What are you basing this on? The game came out in December 2013 in Japan. PS4 hadn't even released there yet and had been out for a month elsewhere in the world.

Why would they intentionally delay a PS3 game they had already finished until it's successor console released (effectively killing off the PS3 market, as we've seen), therefore sabotaging the sales of both versions? It would be insane.

In the end, only one of the versions would be successful. I am only stating this is probably why the ps4 version bombed. By doing it this way, they sabotaged the sales of the PS4 version. That is all I am getting at. Square tried getting people to double dip and it did not work.

this is the part where i point out that no one is obligating you to buy this game again. your current version is still fully functional, a complete experience, a treasure in unto itself

you are 100% correct, and that is exactly why we just witnessed this game bomb.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Holy shit at Codename STEAM. Is this officially the worst debut for a new Nintendo IP? Even W101 did better than that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With these numbers, I'm glad that we even still have studios in Japan focused on console games.
Even Cygames just opened up a studio focused on console games over there, which is pretty awesome for a studio that was previously only doing mobile games.

That would be incorrect: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164401974&postcount=22

I think that the headline is somewhat misleading.

http://www.cygames.co.jp/news/?p=4067&s_year=2015&s_month=05

This is the press release from Cygames. They specifically state that they established Osaka Cygames for the purposes of headhunting talented software engineers and to expand their business presence in the western region of Japan. The development of a high end PS4 game is simply the current project the new studio is working on. They do not mention whether they are publishing it or if it is a contract project. Cygames already mentioned last year that they were working on a PS4 title though, so this could simply be an expansion of that same project.

The main purpose of this studio is to expand their business presence and hunt for more talent who aren't based in the Tokyo area. It is not a studio made just to create PS4 games. Don't be confused.

wrowa

Codename Steam is a typical case of a Japanese developer failing at trying to make a game that appeals to the American/western audience. It has an artstyle that the developers consider "western", when in fact it is just ugly and not appealing to anyone. It's a shame, since Steam is a solid game that definitely deserved a lot better than this. Instead it's bomb literally everywhere in the world. Quite sad, really. Makes me wonder how much it could have sold if it didn't look so damn ugly.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
In the end, only one of the versions would be successful. I am only stating this is probably why the ps4 version bombed. By doing it this way, they sabotaged the sales of the PS4 version. That is all I am getting at. Square tried getting people to double dip and it did not work.
I'm sure FFX HD on PS4 will more than cover its production costs based on worldwide sales. It also now is on every PS platform so you can choose which one you prefer. On top of that if you bought it on PS3 before, this time if you buy it on PS4 you can play it on Vita with remote play too for free. And, unlike a lot of remasters, they were all physical releases so you never have to worry about losing access.

Basically it's one of the least anti-consumer releases in recent times lol.

Man if it wasn't for the west the Japanese market would be pretty much dead.

before dooming the japanese market, you know how many games were released last week ?

a port of a port of a 15 years old PS2 game, a game who anyone was interested in it, even Nintendo, which didn't market at all, a compilation of 2 western games

so now you think that people will get crazy and running into shops to buy consoles with such a release list ? :D

ok, japan market is not in good condition, but all those "my god japan is doomed" posts are non-sense

hiska-kun

Minecraft Vita

Code:
-----------------------------------------
|    |  Minecraft PSVita |              |
|    | [PSV] (2015/03/19)|              |
|----|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Variation   |
|  1 |   36.151|   36.151|            //| 
|  2 |   21.069|   57.220|          -42%| 
|  3 |   15.880|   73.100|          -25%|  
|  4 |   11.842|   84.942|          -25%| 
|  5 |   12.175|   97.117|           +3%|
|  6 |   12.667|  109.784|           +4%|
|  7 |   16.166|  125.951|          +28%|
|  8 |   18.025|  143.976|          +12%|
|  9 |   11.303|  155.278|          -37%|
|Total        -|  155.278|              |
-----------------------------------------

Style Savvy
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Style Savvy 3   |   Style Savvy 2   |  Difference  |
|    | [3DS] (2015/04/16)| [3DS] (2012/09/27)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   SS3 – SS2  | 
|  1 |   55.179|   55.179|   65.908|   65.908|       -10.729| 
|  2 |   23.724|   78.903|   34.288|  100.196|       -21.293| 
|  3 |   20.103|   99.007|   22.195|  122.391|       -23.384|  
|  4 |   21.764|  120.791|   14.282|  136.672|       -15.881| 
|  5 |    7.422|  128.213|   11.446|  148.119|       -19.906|
|  6 |         |         |    9.699|  157.818|              |
|  7 |         |         |    8.599|  166.416|              |
|  8 |         |         |    6.696|  173.113|              |
|  9 |         |         |    7.364|  180.476|              |
| 10 |         |         |    7.528|  188.005|              |
| 11 |         |         |   11.286|  199.291|              |
| 12 |         |         |   17.179|  216.470|              |
|Total        -|  128.213|        -|  381.000|      -252.787|      
-------------------------------------------------------------

Interfectum

before dooming the japanese market, you know how many games were released last week ?

a port of a port of a 15 years old PS2 game, a game who anyone was interested in it, even Nintendo, which didn't market at all, a compilation of 2 western games

so now you think that people will get crazy and running into shops to buy consoles with such a release list ? :D

ok, japan market is not in good condition, but all those "my god japan is doomed" posts are non-sense

Japan isn't doomed but the console industry in Japan is.

Atram

I'm sure FFX HD on PS4 will more than cover its production costs based on worldwide sales. It also now is on every PS platform so you can choose which one you prefer. On top of that if you bought it on PS3 before, this time if you buy it on PS4 you can play it on Vita with remote play too for free. And, unlike a lot of remasters, they were all physical releases so you never have to worry about losing access.

Basically it's one of the least anti-consumer releases in recent times lol.

we've come along way but Videogame Publisher won. Everything is nice now :)

duckroll

Holy shit at Codename STEAM. Is this officially the worst debut for a new Nintendo IP? Even W101 did better than that.

Nintendo IP? No need to even go there, it's a worse debut than pretty much every XB1 game so far, and worse than most 360 and Xbox games.

Mr Swine

Banned
It's so sad to see how bad hardware sales are in Japan right now. I guess that 3DS sales will be a lot worse for the rest of the year if Nintendo doesn't announce some major 3DS games for the rest of the year :/

then you wonder why Intelligent systems split Fire Emblem If into 3 parts. Gotta make back that STEAMing mistake they seemed to have made
It's so sad to see how bad hardware sales are in Japan right now. I guess that 3DS sales will be a lot worse for the rest of the year if Nintendo doesn't announce some major 3DS games for the rest of the year :/

every machine is down YTD with the exception of the XB1 since it wasn't out this time last year.

Either these machines are being sold at too high a cost for current japanese consumer tastes or they're just simply not as interested in what they have to offer anymore. What we're seeing is another transition: It was first that the money was in portable games so the major console games started going into a decline. Now, the shift is from portables to mobiles, further detaching the average japanese consumer from the console market.

really, you wonder why Microsoft even bothered in japan. They have no major portable to fend for over there and the console market has been pretty much in the doldrums since the Wii tailed off half a decade ago. it just seems like throwing money into a burning garbage can.

Kind of amazing that a FF game (even a remake of a remake) debuted with lower sales than Xenoblade 3D (also a remake). There isn't even an install base gulf between the n3DS and PS4 in Japan.
Because FF X HD was already released on the major platforms in Japan last year (or was it 2013?) and Xenoblade X is the first portable remake after the title originated on Wii. One is not like the other at all.

random25

There's still Fire Emblem If coming in June(?) and we may see a new first party title somewhere down the line, like last year with Pokemon ORAS.

duckroll

Fun fact: Xenoblade X's third week total is still behind Xenoblade's second week total. At this rate, it's probably not going to hit 150k.

Fun Fact: Codename: S.T.E.A.M. debuted this week.
Fun fact: Xenoblade X's third week total is still behind Xenoblade's second week total. At this rate, it's probably not going to hit 150k.

cvXpro1.gif

DNAbro

Okay let me fix that. If it wasn't for the West, Japanese developers would have no reason for console development and would be better off focusing only on mobile/handheld.

Scum

So earlier in the year (and even a bit before when we were first going into it) I said that without the N3DS, I'd normally expect at least a 20-30% drop year over year, using that as my bar for how much it was propping up the system.

For quite a while it kept it almost at parity with the previous year, which I felt was pretty impressive.

At this point though every week is easily in the 20-30% decline range and several are nearing 40%, so I think we're past most of its effect at this point.

The Vita is facing similar declines, with a 25% decline for the year overall (the 3DS is only at around 12% so far but should continue to fall at this rate).

The PS3 is effectively done. The Xbox One never got started. The Wii U is static, but pretty moribund. The PS4, despite being up about 2x year on year for this week, is still abysmal.

I don't think there's actually anything positive here at this point.

At least, the n3DS bought Iwata that extra 9+ months he wanted...

duckroll

Okay let me fix that. If it wasn't for the West, Japanese developers would have no reason for console development and would be better off focusing only on mobile/handheld.

Honestly, even with the western market, they're better off just making mobile games. That's why a ton of the talent pool has bailed towards that. The only reason to keep making console games is because you actually like making them despite the decline in profits.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Japan needs to start breeding ASAP; no new kids = declining sales!

Just kidding, the kids would be raised on mobile platforms anyway.

Bruno MB

There has to be more Nintendo published games with a worse debut, for example bit Generations series had very low sales.

[GBA] bit Generations: Dotstream (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 3.499 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Coloris (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 2.033 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Orbital (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.833 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Soundvoyager (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.620 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Dialhex (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 1.607 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Boundish (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 1.199 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Digidrive (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.016 / NEW

Eolz

Ouch, FFX did even worse than I thought, and good god those HW & SW numbers. Worst week of the year indeed...

So earlier in the year (and even a bit before when we were first going into it) I said that without the N3DS, I'd normally expect at least a 20-30% drop year over year, using that as my bar for how much it was propping up the system.

For quite a while it kept it almost at parity with the previous year, which I felt was pretty impressive.
[snip]
I don't think there's actually anything positive here at this point.

So this is what a dying market looks like - 20-30% YoY declines. Ugly stuff. And once Konami and Sega get MGS V and Persona 5 out and set sail for good there will be very little of significance coming to consoles from Japan beyond Nintendo and Square (both increasingly focussed on the west).

Even though this week in itself is obviously not significant, seeing such awful sales brings home how established the mobile transition really is. I really hope Nintendo do a good job with their next handheld.

duckroll

There has to be more Nintendo published games with a worse debut, for example bit Generations series had very low sales.

[GBA] bit Generations: Dotstream (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 3.499 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Coloris (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 2.033 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Orbital (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.833 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Soundvoyager (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.620 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Dialhex (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 1.607 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Boundish (Nintendo) {2006.07.13} - 1.199 / NEW
[GBA] bit Generations: Digidrive (Nintendo) {2006.07.27} - 1.016 / NEW

They released 3 on the same week, and another 4 two weeks after that. As a new IP, it was already way more successful than Codename STEAM. Lol.

DNAbro

So this is what a dying market looks like - 20-30% YoY declines. Ugly stuff. And once Konami and Sega get MGS V and Persona 5 out and set sail for good there will be basically nothing significant coming to consoles from Japan beyond Nintendo and Square (both increasingly focussed on the west).

Even though this week in itself is obviously not significant, seeing such awful sales brings home how established the mobile transition really is. I really hope Nintendo do a good job with their next handheld.

I'm pretty sure Atlus will continue to develop console games, Capcom has Street Fighter, deep down, dragon's dogma.

There will be more Japanese games, just expect more mobile games as well.

jett

D-Member
I didn't know Steam was an IS game...it looked like it had been farmed out to some third-rate western dev.

Boke1879

MGSV and Persona 5 will help spike sales. Then you have to wait until FF15 and KH3. But man after this gen I expect consoles to be dead in Japan

ZeroXZee

14./00. [WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 5.258 / NEW

Wii U LTD on that week: 1.055.456

[3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.14} (¥5.076) - 1.835 / NEW

3DS LTD on this week: 18.633.253

Wondreful 101 sold almost ~3x more than S.T.E.A.M. in its launch week, despite Wii U having at the time ~1/18 of the 3DS install base nowdays.

Holy shit, this is a whole new level of bomba. Rabbids Land sales sound good now...

Zero²

Will the n3ds see a price cut now? It cant be possible to continue selling at this rate.
I wonder if it will even have a big enough of a effect on the sales right now...

So does anyone have the upcoming release schedule? All I can think of is the next Ace Attorney coming out in a few weeks iirc.
This week is Witcher 3
Next week is Splatoon, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, and Cross Ange
June 4 is Stella Glow, Atelier Rorona 3DS, Natsuiro High School
June 11 is Rhythm Heaven The Best+, Alien Isolation, Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden
June 18 is Harvest Moon x Popoplocrois, DMC4 PS4,
June 25 is Fire Emblem If, Chaos;Child, IA/VT -COLORFUL-, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls pack 2 and P4 Dancing All Night with FFXIV: Heavensward on the 23
July 9 is Ace Attorney, Taiko Vita with Yokai Watch Busters on July 11

Top Bottom