• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
japanmay36udp.png

japanmaycompanies52u0j.png

mclem

Announce that right before the 3DS release? That would be as dumb as announcing a new mainline Monster Hunter release right before the release of a portable entry.

It strikes me that a smart thing to do may be to acknowledge the Switch version by contextualising some reason to purchase both. Crossplay, unique content per-platform, something like that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It strikes me that a smart thing to do may be to acknowledge the Switch version by contextualising some reason to purchase both. Crossplay, unique content per-platform, something like that.

Assuming its based on the PS4 version, it would seem to be smarter to just talk about it in like late August or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How do you view the relationship between Monster Hunter: World and the other Monster Hunter games? Is this a spinoff, or a main title?

Ryozo Tsujimoto: This is the next main Monster Hunter game. Our Osaka team is working on it. We've brought in some people who are more familiar with next-gen technology to come in and help us adapt it for the current generation of consoles. When you have a series that runs into the higher numbers, I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point." Just because we've taken the number off the title doesn't mean it's not a main Monster Hunter game. We just wanted to have "world" in the title because it speaks to the concept of the game in a variety of ways. This is the first simultaneous worldwide release for the game, and the servers are global this time.
Source: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/monster-hunter-world-leads-answer-all-the-big-questions-w488101

Eolz

It has been discussed in the various MHW threads, but it's interesting.
It's not said obviously, but it's also a good method of falling back on their feet if it doesn't sell as well as expected. I don't believe that the reasoning for not calling it 5/V is particularly good otherwise.

Vena

That actually does make sense. esp with the past games not being available on PS4/XB1/PC.

They also didn't exist on the 3DS. The key here, though, is that I think Capcom is now being extremely wary. The 3DS title didn't *need* to succeed in the west and pushing forward the legacy on "This is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!" worked out fine and it came with a co-marketing campaign attached to the N3DS.

This title *needs* to succeed in the west because the collapsed console market in Japan will not be able to carry this anywhere near breaking even or even a worthwhile venture on its own. So they are stripping it down on an image/intimidation level and saying to newcomers: don't be afraid. They effectively have to build an audience from scratch, again, and they believe the "5" is intimidating on that end.

Of course, I question how meaningful that is. Persona 5 ballooned on its legacy very recently from Persona 3 to 4. But there's also likely a sense of scale here to be considered as Capcom is going to need a lot more success than what P5 garnered I'd imagine.

Datschge

They also didn't exist on the 3DS. The key here, though, is that I think Capcom is now being extremely wary. The 3DS title didn't *need* to succeed in the west and pushing forward the legacy on "This is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!" worked out fine and it came with a co-marketing campaign attached to the N3DS.

This title *needs* to succeed in the west because the collapsed console market in Japan will not be able to carry this anywhere near breaking even or even a worthwhile venture on its own. So they are stripping it down on an image/intimidation level and saying to newcomers: don't be afraid. They effectively have to build an audience from scratch, again, and they believe the "5" is intimidating on that end.

Of course, I question how meaningful that is. Persona 5 ballooned on its legacy very recently from Persona 3 to 4. But there's also likely a sense of scale here to be considered as Capcom is going to need a lot more success than what P5 garnered I'd imagine.
It's really ironic that by trying to position a more westernized MH they opt to alienate the existing Western fanbase which by now is also used to portable like in Japan. They think with the known brand name and making it more accessible they can reach enough of new audiences to offset the loss of the traditional ones. In Japan this approach already fell flat with MH Stories and a younger audience.

I still wonder how Tencent's MH Online is faring in China. In Capcom's place I'd have continued the focus on portable entries (with occasional console versions/ports) while expanding MHO to the West and working on converging traditional MH with it over time. By full on replacing traditional MH with a streamlined MHW they took the most risky option possible, even if that's then converged afterward.

Kyoufu

It's really ironic that by trying to position a more westernized MH they opt to alienate the existing Western fanbase which by now is also used to portable like in Japan. They think with the known brand name and making it more accessible they can reach enough of new audiences to offset the loss of the traditional ones. In Japan this approach already fell flat with MH Stories and a younger audience.

I still wonder how Tencent's MH Online is faring in China. In Capcom's place I'd have continued the focus on portable entries (with occasional console versions/ports) while expanding MHO to the West and working on converging traditional MH with it over time. By full on replacing traditional MH with a streamlined MHW they took the most risky option possible, even if that's then converged afterward.

Well thank god you're not in charge of Capcom. MH Online is a bad game and would be received poorly by MH fans let alone newcomers. Their chances of IP growth in overseas markets would plummet without updating the gameplay systems and mechanics of the game to be more acceptable for the year 2018. MH Online already has a negative stigma attached to it and it'd do Capcom no favours bringing it over to the west in hopes of being a hit. They didn't even make the game!

Datschge

Well thank god you're not in charge of Capcom. MH Online is a bad game and would be received poorly by MH fans let alone newcomers. Their chances of IP growth in overseas markets would plummet without updating the gameplay systems and mechanics of the game to be more acceptable for the year 2018. MH Online already has a negative stigma attached to it and it'd do Capcom no favours bringing it over to the west in hopes of being a hit. They didn't even make the game!
I know they didn't make that game, which is why it'd be less of a risk than dumping traditional MH A team development for MHW. =P Well whatever, rebuilding the audience around MHW will be a monumental task that I can't imagine reaching the same scale of success traditional MH consistently had in the last decade.

Kyoufu

I know they didn't make that game, which is why it'd be less of a risk than dumping traditional MH A team development for MHW. =P Well whatever, rebuilding the audience around MHW will be a monumental task that I can't imagine reaching the same scale of success traditional MH consistently had in the last decade.

Well they're going about it the right way by implementing features that console/PC players expect these days. Seems like this is the most effort they've put into a western release of MH ever so while it is indeed a risky venture, they're at least trying to put themselves in a position where PS4/XB1/PC owners will consider playing their game.

I don't think they'd have much luck with MH Online or Frontier. Even their current handheld offerings wouldn't translate well to those platforms in their current state. A new game built from the ground up was the right move to make with the engine and assets not being out of reach for the future Switch games.

ggx2ac

So it looks like in the end that May had Switch shortages worldwide rather than just Japan going by the NPD results for May.

Although retailers in the NPD thread mentioned the last two weeks in June improved, it doesn't tell us much yet.

Still having to wait and see whether the shipments will improve weekly or that the week for ARMS was just increased shipments for one week.

Vena

So it looks like in the end that May had Switch shortages worldwide rather than just Japan going by the NPD results for May.

Although retailers in the NPD thread mentioned the last two weeks in June improved, it doesn't tell us much yet.

Still having to wait and see whether the shipments will improve weekly or that the week for ARMS was just increased shipments for one week.

Obli's expectations are up MoM for June from May in the US, and the past two weeks were much better than the start of the month (similar to what we saw in Japan at the start of the month, though we didn't see a major ramp up for Japan last week).

So we'll have to remain "pending" on shipments following ARMS. That said, the supply thread (which has matched Obli's observations (restock started last week and that matches Obli's statements) expects another round of shipments next week (according to BB). So that means three straight weeks of supply.

ggx2ac

Obli's expectations are up MoM for June from May in the US, and the past two weeks were much better than the start of the month (similar to what we saw in Japan at the start of the month, though we didn't see a major ramp up for Japan last week).

So we'll have to remain "pending" on shipments following ARMS. That said, the supply thread (which has matched Obli's observations (restock started last week and that matches Obli's statements) expects another round of shipments next week (according to BB). So that means three straight weeks of supply.

So, the question is whether it will remain consistent.

We knew a shortage would occur due to them airlifting shipments for March that shipments dropped significantly each month afterward.

We don't know yet if production has been ramped up that weekly shipments will increase.

We do know they have inventory of Splatoon 2 Console bundles and the Monster Hunter-themed Switch although I really don't know how many of those limited edition consoles they manufacture anyway.

Edit: and then there's the fact that Kimishima stuck to the plan of expecting more consumers as more of their 1st party games releases.

Vena

So, the question is whether it will remain consistent.

We knew a shortage would occur due to them airlifting shipments for March that shipments dropped significantly each month afterward.

We don't know yet if production has been ramped up that weekly shipments will increase.

We do know they have inventory of Splatoon 2 Console bundles and the Monster Hunter-themed Switch although I really don't know how many of those limited edition consoles they manufacture anyway.

Mat's words would suggest not yet and that we should look to supply prepping for the holidays as the Switch is not starting to enter the more common mindshare (as per his analysis, and he's been pretty on point so far).

Watching the stock thread should be relatively enlightening, though, as well to see if the shipment numbers are sustained. Japan's weekly numbers will also tell us a good bit as shipments here seem to mirror (relatively) shipments the world over. If we hit ARMS and then remain 30k+ weekly, we're probably in a new step of production + held-back stock for big releases. If slip back into the mid 20s, then its probably the same stock situation persisting.

KAORIII

Neo Member
PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 386493
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 187600
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 80200
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 115100
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 25100
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 123456
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 802720

ggx2ac

Mat's words would suggest not yet and that we should look to supply prepping for the holidays as the Switch is not starting to enter the more common mindshare (as per his analysis, and he's been pretty on point so far).

Watching the stock thread should be relatively enlightening, though, as well to see if the shipment numbers are sustained. Japan's weekly numbers will also tell us a good bit as shipments here seem to mirror (relatively) shipments the world over. If we hit ARMS and then remain 30k+ weekly, we're probably in a new step of production + held-back stock for big releases. If slip back into the mid 20s, then its probably the same stock situation persisting.

Although in Japan, there would really need to be a ramp up of stock for Splatoon 2 because that will be the biggest release of the year in Japan.

Obviously Super Mario Odyssey will be the biggest release overseas.

Again just like ARMS as per Kimishima's words, they expect more consumers for these software releases so they had definitely already planned for all this.

The question remains whether they will be able to increase manufacturing numbers because they are not meeting demand.

My take: Square Enix know a lot of people would rather play DQXI on Switch, that's why they are mute about it. They don't wanna hurt the game's sales performance when it comes out in a few months.

so they think that there are around 1mln people out there waiting to play DQ11 and they ignore 4mln potential sales?

C'mon, in M-C threads you are weekly pumping DQ11 on Switch as it can sold millions and millions, people getting excited cause Splatoon 2 has same preorders as DQ11 combined

Who really can think that Splatoon 2 and DQ11 Switch can sell better than DQ11 on 3DS? I give a little chance for PS4 version, buy I don't understand why here the general though is that DQ11 on 3DS is not at least a 3mln seller...

If this is a long joke it's ok, otherwise you are ignoring the real world...

Aters

so they think that there are around 1mln people out there waiting to play DQ11 and they ignore 4mln potential sales?

C'mon, in M-C threads you are weekly pumping DQ11 on Switch as it can sold millions and millions, people getting excited cause Splatoon 2 has same preorders as DQ11 combined

Who really can think that Splatoon 2 and DQ11 Switch can sell better than DQ11 on 3DS? I give a little chance for PS4 version, buy I don't understand why here the general though is that DQ11 on 3DS is not at least a 3mln seller...

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure the new Pokemon can do that number. MHXX shows that the best days of 3DS is far behind us.

Because the game is releasing too late in the 3DS' lifecycle. Its successor will have been out for nearly five months when the game comes out. It should have come out two years ago.

dno_1966

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 350000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 175000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 75000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 85000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 20000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 110000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 725000

wrowa

I give a little chance for PS4 version, buy I don't understand why here the general though is that DQ11 on 3DS is not at least a 3mln seller...

Couple of reasons, really. DQXI is releasing too late in 3DS's life, the PS4 version takes the spotlight in the marketing and generally the existence of the PS4 version makes the 3DS game look like an afterthought. DQXI 3DS looks great in its own right, but when there's a shiny HD game releasing alongside it, the 3DS version becomes less appealing. Who likes to buy what is perceived to be the lesser version, after all? I think there's a chance quite a few people who own a 3DS but no PS4 won't buy either version, because they don't want to get the "worse" version.

KtSlime

Couple of reasons, really. DQXI is releasing too late in 3DS's life, the PS4 version takes the spotlight in the marketing and generally the existence of the PS4 version makes the 3DS game look like an afterthought. DQXI 3DS looks great in its own right, but when there's a shiny HD game releasing alongside it, the 3DS version becomes less appealing. Who likes to buy what is perceived to be the lesser version, after all? I think there's a chance quite a few people who own a 3DS but no PS4 won't buy either version, because they don't want to get the "worse" version.

When was the last time releasing too late in a consoles life hurt DQ sales? I imagine many, especially those nostalgic about DQ will think the 3DS is the superior version.

MoonFrog

I mean, personally I'm torn as to DQ XI. I'm not part of the Japanese DQ community so perhaps it doesn't mean much but I do think the 3DS version is appealing and in some ways more appealing than the PS4 version (2D version and not being 100% into UE4 version for me), even if I also find the PS4 version attractive (at the end of the day despite being less than 100% on it, I do think UE4 version is the more attractive 3D version, personally).

I wouldn't write off the 3DS version as obviously inferior.

KtSlime

I mean, personally I'm torn as to DQ XI. I'm not part of the Japanese DQ community so perhaps it doesn't mean much but I do think the 3DS version is appealing and in some ways more appealing than the PS4 version (2D version and not being 100% into UE4 version for me), even if I also find the PS4 version attractive (at the end of the day despite being less than 100% on it, I do think UE4 version is the more attractive 3D version, personally).

I wouldn't write off the 3DS version as obviously inferior.

You're not? Not importing? Will you have to wait till it is translated?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Didnt realize there was a new Captain Tsbasa mobile/gacha game - it looks really good presentation wise, as expected from KLAB after Bleach Brave Soulls.

http://www.klab.com/jp/english/services/klabgames/tsubasa_dream/

Cant wait for the western version - should have some fans, at least in Europe. Based Tsuba/Olive et Tom hah.
I mean, this is something that's going to be true for a lot of developers who would otherwise consider supporting the thing.

Not many people want to upset a small to medium sized team by making them port a game to a new platform mid production, especially given there aren't a lot of units out there yet.

Eh, i really dont think that many small-medium size devs would be "upset" if a publisher would provide them with all the resources like money, time, devkits and personal needed to bring their content to the hot new console.

Publishers optimizing their release strategy and hoping for customers to double dip is more likely than them being scared of pissing of devs if they ask them to port games to another system...at the end the publisher is the major stakeholder for every project and if the want a game on plattform X - it will happen.

From the developer impressions i have gathered so far many devs would be happy to bring their games could be on Switch as well, but its not their decision to make. I doubt Digital Eclipse would have been upset if Capcom had asked them to put the Disney Afternoon Collection on Switch and had provided them with Devkits.

cw_sasuke

So is ARMS expected to open better than Tekken 7?

Makes you wonder why they don't put Tekken 7 on the Switch.

Bamco helped on ARMS, worked on Pokken and is likely involved Smash Bros. Switch. They are already involved in enough Switch Fighters - Tekken 7 has been in development with PS4/XBO/PC specs in mind for years.

Shiggy

So is ARMS expected to open better than Tekken 7?

Makes you wonder why they don't put Tekken 7 on the Switch.

Different audiences on Switch and other platforms. If past Nintendo systems are any indication, the audience for games like Tekken is not necessarily to be found on Nintendo systems.

Different audiences on Switch and other platforms. If past Nintendo systems are any indication, the audience for games like Tekken is not necessarily to be found on Nintendo systems.

Maybe I'm a rare breed who went from PS1/N64 to mostly just Nintendo and would buy "PlayStation franchises" on Nintendo consoles (Tekken, FIFA, Micro Machines, Tony Hawk's, Crash etc) if they released so I usually misjudge.

KtSlime

Didnt realize there was a new Captain Tsbasa mobile/gacha game - it looks really good presentation wise, as expected from KLAB after Bleach Brave Soulls.

http://www.klab.com/jp/english/services/klabgames/tsubasa_dream/

Cant wait for the western version - should have some fans, at least in Europe. Based Tsuba/Olive et Tom hah.

Eh, i really dont think that many small-medium size devs would be "upset" if a publisher would provide them with all the resources like money, time, devkits and personal needed to bring their content to the hot new console.

Publishers optimizing their release strategy and hoping for customers to double dip is more likely than them being scared of pissing of devs if they ask them to port games to another system...at the end the publisher is the major stakeholder for every project and if the want a game on plattform X - it will happen.

From the developer impressions i have gathered so far many devs would be happy to bring their games could be on Switch as well, but its not their decision to make. I doubt Digital Eclipse would have been upset if Capcom had asked them to put the Disney Afternoon Collection on Switch and had provided them with Devkits.

I think upset probably is the right word. Working for a Japanese company can really suck at times, and developers often have to pull almost double shifts. Stay at work until the first train in the morning, go home shower and come back, depending on how close you live you may even be able to get a half hour of sleep in your own bed. I wouldn't want anyone in that condition getting dumped on by the management with an additional platform out of nowhere - no matter how much I like my Switch.

cw_sasuke

they really miss those 2 copies

Nah, it would sell well enough on Switch...but they dont need it for this year. 2018 when the shortages are over and the system has sold +10m such games make more sense.
I think upset probably is the right word. Working for a Japanese company can really suck at times, and developers often have to pull almost double shifts. Stay at work until the first train in the morning, go home shower and come back, depending on how close you live you may even be able to get a half hour of sleep in your own bed.

...thats why i said provided them with the needed resources that another port needed. Obv. just telling them to port the game to another system without reworking the release date or adding extra resources would destroy the project schedule.

And working at western companies can suck too, dont think crunch times or tight development schedules are japan exclusives.

Mory Dunz

Nah, it would sell well enough on Switch...but they dont need it for this year. 2018 when the shortages are over and the system has sold +10m such games make more sense.

you could say that on the wii u , but i'm not sure that would be the same with the switch with the local co op and whatnot.

We'd have to see. But at the moment Switch has a smaller userbase and the audience is more on PS4. And the game already did poorly to begin with. So I couldn't see it doing much.

A 2018 port would be kinda interesting

cw_sasuke

We'd have to see. But at the moment Switch has a smaller userbase and the audience is more on PS4. And the game already did poorly to begin with. So I couldn't see it doing much.

A 2018 port would be kinda interesting

To be fair i was more talking about the Global potential of the game on Switch....the JPN market is quite small for this type of game anyway and sales of a Switch version would likely be lackluster here.

It has been discussed in the various MHW threads, but it's interesting.
It's not said obviously, but it's also a good method of falling back on their feet if it doesn't sell as well as expected. I don't believe that the reasoning for not calling it 5/V is particularly good otherwise.

Yeah in particular after calling Street Fighter 5, 5 Megaman 5, 5, Breath of Fire 5, 5and Resident Evil 5, 5

KtSlime

...thats why i said provided them with the needed resources that another port needed. Obv. just telling them to port the game to another system without reworking the release date or adding extra resources would destroy the project schedule.

And working at western companies can suck too, dont think crunch times or tight development schedules are japan exclusives.

I'm sure it can suck working for western companies too. As for getting more resources, that means more employees, and in Japanese corporate struture most employees usually get hired in April along with the new budget. It is a bit more flexible than the past now, but still hiring more people to port to a new platform out of the normal season is a bit unusual. Some companies can afford to do it, others not so much, even if the payoff is good.

cw_sasuke

I'm sure it can suck working for western companies too. As for getting more resources, that means more employees, and in Japanese corporate struture most employees usually get hired in April along with the new budget. It is a bit more flexible than the past now, but still hiring more people to port to a new platform out of the normal season is a bit unusual. Some companies can afford to do it, others not so much, even if the payoff is good.

All im saying is that when developers and publishers agree on terms for a project, there really isnt much to be upset about. If the publisher can provide the devteam with the assistance needed to port a game to another system mid production, the developer agrees, then thats that and the project continues under those new terms.

No sane publisher would just force a dev team to add a another Plattform to the mix without adjusting the overall terms of the agreement. Especially since porting a PS4/XBO game to Switch isnt necessarily a easy job depending on the type of game.

What you are saying isnt wrong... my main point was just that "upseting" the developers probably isnt the reason why not every game hits Switch asap. Its just a numbers game at the end and people double dipping has always been a big part of the jpn market.

Vinnk

they really miss those 2 copies

I am not sure this is exactly fair. Then again we don't really have any recent data points. I know Tekken is a "Sony Game" but I think with the older, more hardcore crowd the Switch is currently attracting there is some crossover. But we will never really know. There have been no multiplat 3D fighters on the Switch.

We could go back to TTT2 on the WiiU but that is unfair for 2 reasons. It was on the WiiU which was garbage out of the gate and TTT2 was a full priced late port after the WiiU had originally been promised an exclusive Tekken Game. That turned a lot of people off.

Before that, well there was Soulcalibur II which sold over 1 million copies WW and was one of the highest selling 3rd party games on the GameCube. Of course Namco followed that up by making SC3 PS2 exclusive. And selling way less copies overall. But few would call SC2 a failure on Nintendo.

I can't even think of any other attempts at 3rd party 3D fighters on Nintendo home consoles. Bloody Roar?

But yeah I don't think anyone will take the chance so we will probably never know.

Top Bottom