• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2016 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

Tom Nook

As I commented last week, Tower Records is having a collaboration with the Splatoon brand. So, in Shibuya, today was the release of the new Splatoon bundle and it seemed like a re-release of the game. You could find lots of stuff related to Splatoon, and adverts were amazingly displayed everywhere in (and out) the store.

The new Splatoon amiibo (diorama included), of course, were very popular.

XBZVwDp.jpg

Why can't we something this in the States? :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You can at least give them credit for being committed.
Square Enix pretty clearly views Smartphones and the PS4 as their primary platforms at this point, with additional platforms being added to products targeted at them depending on the nature of the game and the market conditions/demographics surrounding it.

Vena

Square Enix pretty clearly views Smartphones and the PS4 as their primary platforms at this point, with additional platforms being added to products targeted at them depending on the nature of the game and the market conditions/demographics surrounding it.

Oh I know. I may also think they are trying to fight the tides but they are at least shoring their bets with mobile and finding smart successes their. I am also still waiting to see how they manage Deus Ex after the rather large fall off of TR and the quasi-AAA remnant of Hitman (do we know how this doing?).

Of course we also have to see how FFXV and the money they are pouring into the extended universe does for them.

They've already burned Bravely and Star Ocean to the ground.

Aters

I think Bravely will get a sequel. The second game doesn't sell as expected doesn't mean the third game is doomed. Especially when the game is not bad at all. It has 81 critic score. Not fair to put it in the same sentence as SO5. Given how much assets are reused in Second, I'd say it's still making profit, maybe even as much as Default.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Bravely will get a sequel. The second game doesn't sell as expected doesn't mean the third game is doomed. Especially when the game is not bad at all. It has 81 critic score. Not fair to put it in the same sentence as SO5. Given how much assets are reused in Second, I'd say it's still making profit, maybe even as much as Default.
BS did very well in the US considering the scale of the project.

rhandino

Banned
The thing about Bravely Second is that the game still managed to review and sell kind of well in the US even after the vocal backlash of the first game 3rd part and the "censorship" thing (no idea how it performed on Europe) so there is a chance they want to continue the series.

... but that chance is really REALLY low considering that they gave the 2nd game such a tiny budget considering how much reused content was in there.

Aters

The thing about Bravely Second is that the game still managed to review and sell kind of well in the US even after the vocal backlash of the first game 3rd part and the "censorship" thing (no idea how it performed on Europe) so there is a chance they want to continue the series.

... but that chance is really REALLY low considering that they gave the 2nd game such a tiny budget considering how much reused content was in there.

I don't see the problem of reused assets if you are making a direct sequel in the same world that follows the previous story line. I mean, have you played Trails of series?

Vena

It may have ended up doing well but, much as the first, that would be in spite of SE not because of them. The game was handed a nonsensical budget. Fans were given little reason to think it something better than its predecessor and certainly failed in growing the base. If a third were made would you even bother going back after the recycled, low budget effort of BSecond? That'd take a lot of convincing and I dont think SE cares or knows how to do such a thing.

And if it hadn't been for external forces the first would have likely also just sailed off into oblivion.

SO5 is just an extension of the same low effort attempt to cash in brand recognition. It's just that an HD game takes a bit more budget to at least function. And so the seams are easier to see when you have no budget.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some small mobile updates:
- Shadowverse is doing really well on mobile, spending most of its time in the Top 10. It's basically anime Hearthstone, but with worse game mechanics, lots of anime boobs, and published by CyGames (who you will remember best for Granblue Fantasy).
- I don't see Pokemon GO listed in Japan yet, but it's currently the #4 grossing game on the US iPhone charts. I'm not sure if it will hold long term - and I'm actually expecting it to take a significant dive - but at least this is by far the best launch the Pokemon company has ever managed on mobile.
- Mobile Strike has found success as a Western game in Japan, joining a relatively exclusive group of titles to do so.

Oh I know. I may also think they are trying to fight the tides but they are at least shoring their bets with mobile and finding smart successes their. I am also still waiting to see how they manage Deus Ex after the rather large fall off of TR and the quasi-AAA remnant of Hitman (do we know how this doing?).

Of course we also have to see how FFXV and the money they are pouring into the extended universe does for them.

In general, my opinion has been that trying to bring back mid-tier core games from ages past didn't make much sense as a (Japanese targeted) corporate strategy, since they were all canceled for a reason in the first place, and there's nothing about the modern marketplace that suggests they would suddenly work now. The reason a lot of old genre revivals worked in the West was because massive uptake on digital distribution allowed them to find new audiences at new price points. This scenario doesn't really work in Japan, and the closest analog is taking medium-to-niche sized series like Powa Pro or Idolmaster and making them into $100+ million annual earners on mobile by using f2p business models and majorly expanded audiences. Obviously, if you try to heavily reinvent your series, there's some more potential to be had, though I think it's still an steep uphill climb.

However, my feeling is also that they've pretty much given up on making business decisions based on Japan in terms of console games outside of a few select products. Things like Dragon Quest are still clearly targeted domestically, but unless they're just making exceedingly poor business decisions, I'm assuming they're greenlighting games like Nier, Setsuna, World of Final Fantasy, and Star Ocean with hopes of significant overseas success. That's not to say they will actually find success, and I'm feeling pretty confident that Star Ocean will display a case where they're not, but it's hard to envision a non-globally-minded business strategy driving these decisions. Mind, "overseas" isn't necessarily limited to the West, but can also include Asia.

Aters

It may have ended up doing well but, much as the first, that would be in spite of SE not because of them. The game was handed a nonsensical budget. Fans were given little reason to think it something better than its predecessor and certainly failed in growing the base. If a third were made would you even bother going back after the recycled, low budget effort of BSecond? That'd take a lot of convincing and I dont think SE cares or knows how to do such a thing.

And if it hadn't been for external forces the first would have likely also just sailed off into oblivion.

SO5 is just an extension of the same low effort attempt to cash in brand recognition. It's just that an HD game takes a bit more budget to at least function. And so the seams are easier to see when you have no budget.

Why do you care that much about the budget (and all we know about it is just pure speculation)? I play the game, not the budget. Bravely Second is a good game, and if it gets a sequel, I'll be there too. If they can make a good game out of $10 budget, I'd still pay $40 for it, and I think it's the same case for most gamers.

In SO5's case, how do we know about what happened during the development phase? Are Tri-Ace still the competent developer they were ten years ago? Their track record in recent years is not convincing at all. Maybe it's not about the budget, maybe Tri-Ace just sucks? Maybe they were unable to make a proper game within the time period they were given so they just rushed out whatever they've got?

Also look at HITMAN. People have given so much shit about how it turned into episodic. But it turns out that HITMAN has the best level design and the largest scale in the whole series. Not only is it not a budget title, it's probably the best game they've ever made. How can they make such gigantic and detailed levels if SE is unwilling to give them budget?

Sterok

- I don't see Pokemon GO listed in Japan yet, but it's currently the #4 grossing game on the US iPhone charts. I'm not sure if it will hold long term - and I'm actually expecting it to take a significant dive - but at least this is by far the best launch the Pokemon company has ever managed on mobile.

How popular is Ingress in Japan? And how much money does it make overall/worldwide? It seems that Pokemon GO has a stronger base than the previous Pokemon mobile projects, so the possibility of keeping the userbase via good design and updates is probably possible this time. But of course that will depend on TPC and Niantic's decisions.

Bravely Third would sell even less than Bravely Second.

And despite the original's success, the sequel had an extremely tight budget. If Square Enix didn't see potential back then, they clearly don't see it now.

I'm totally expecting a third take on NX though.

NDS = Heroes of Lights
3DS = Bravely
NX: ???

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

And despite the original's success, the sequel had an extremely tight budget. If Square Enix didn't see potential back then, they clearly don't see it now.

NDS = Heroes of Lights
3DS = Bravely

Asano did imply they were still working with Silicon, but that a new IP was being considered, so you could very well be right.

Kanann

I assume tri-Ace just sucks by looking at SO5 vs. Bravely Second that seem to have similar budget and what they turn out to be.

Exist Archive may be final nail in the coffin (finished jp version, impress me less than SO5).
They have really bad track records since 2011 minus some 'ok' games (XIII-2, LRFFXIII).

IIRC Asano really want to make the third, and Silicon Studio is still on good position as developer.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
tri-Ace's failure to do anything noteworthy after Resonance of Fate is probably my biggest disappointment in years. Back in the day, they were so progressive in terms of unique gameplay mechanics and they had the graphical fortitude to match. Maybe they're just doomed to be mobile only or contract workers for SE's games :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Jun 2016 (May 30 - Jun 26)

01./00. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice # <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.06.09} (¥5.800) - 238.516 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous) {2016.06.23} (¥4.980) - 110.597 / NEW
03./04. [PSV] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥6.800) - 71.506 / 195.318 (-42%)
04./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥7.800) - 71.407 / 260.097 (-62%)
05./00. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.16} (¥4.800) - 54.439 / NEW

Top 5

3DS - 3
PS4 - 1
PSV - 1

SOFTWARE

Capcom - 269.000
Square Enix - 268.000
Nintendo - 240.000

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Month | Last Month |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  PS4  |     81.376 |    117.290 |     44.979 |    716.849 |    539.371 |   2.847.582 |
| 3DS # |     73.141 |     87.436 |     99.885 |    667.907 |    932.931 |  20.704.863 |
| PSV # |     47.430 |     70.025 |     57.920 |    533.008 |    497.202 |   4.915.425 |
|  WIU  |     16.584 |     28.904 |     62.725 |    218.215 |    273.064 |   3.161.802 |
|  PS3  |      3.284 |      4.617 |      9.669 |     32.950 |    134.537 |  10.239.691 |
|  XB1  |        210 |        429 |        901 |      3.172 |     10.334 |      67.223 |
|  ALL  |    222.025 |    308.701 |    276.079 |  2.172.101 |  2.387.439 |  41.936.586 |

Eolz

NDS = Heroes of Lights
3DS = Bravely

Even if I completely agree with this, I still feel that there will be a third Bravely game, mainly thanks to Nintendo (like a Bayonetta 2 deal if you will).

May be new or not, but Watch Dogs 2 will be December 1st in Japan. Currently trending on Amazon.

As for the return of the Star Ocean is ded talk, Kobayashi (producer) has hinted quite a few times about the future of the series, not to mention a possible PC port.

Ōkami

It's not over for Brawl yet. It should be over 800k now.
Well, it's been moving around Dengeki's top 50 for the whole year selling a around 1200-1500 per week.

By March 31st it was at 810k shipped, though it only shipped 140k units on FY15.

If the WiiU wasn't getting killed off so quickly then it'd see it hitting a million, but with the way things are now.

--------------------

By next week, total retail PS4 game sales should surpass 11m.

And like 2 weeks after that it'll surpass Wii U retail software sales.

Vena

So do we take a second wave of MHS Amiibo as a sign of good demand on said amiibo or are they just pumping them out? The characters seem more like accessories to the actual selling point which seems to be the interchangeable monsters (in what appears to be the most complicated amiibo yet as the riders and their monster are separate units).

It'll be very interesting to watch this as release draws closer. And I am really curious to see if the release date coincides with a price drop for the 3DS, or if Nintendo does some other co-venture in advertising as they did with MH4U in the west.

hiska-kun

Media Create: Pre-orders

[PS4] [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.30} (¥8.200) - 47k
[PS3] 2nd Super Robot Wars OG <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥8.379) - 97k

Media Create Sell-through

[PS4] [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.30} (¥8.200) ~90%

First Day Sell-Through {2016.07.07}

[3DS] Culdcept Revolt <TBL> (Nintendo) (¥4.700) - 50-60% loyal fanbase, easy to read how many copies are needed. LTD might reach 100k

[PSV] [PS4] Shin Hayarigami 2 <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥5.800) (¥6.800) - 30-40%
[PS3] Shin Hayarigami 2 <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.800) - less than 20% and selling far less than the other versions

[PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.800) - 60-70% selling better than expected

horuhe

Rakuten Books Games Ranking (2016.07.07)

01./00. [3DS] Culdcept Revolt <TBL> (Nintendo)
02./01. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous)
03./03. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
04./05. [WiiU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
05./04. [PS4] Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./00. [PSV] Shin Hayarigami 2 <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software)
07./07. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix)
08./02. [PSV] Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software)
09./00. [PS4] Shin Hayarigami 2 <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software)
10./10. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice <ADV> (Capcom)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.07.07)

01./01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura Set <RPG> (Level 5)
02./08. [XXXX] Splatoon Water Gun <TOY> (D&#333;shisha)
03./18. [PS4] Idolm@ster Platinum Stars (Platinum Box) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
04./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)

Rakuten Books Other Games Ranking (2016.07.07)

01./01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi <SLG> (Level 5)
02./21. [Wii] Momotaro Dentetsu 16: Trip to Hokkaido! [Wii Select] <TBL> (Hudson)
03./02. [WiiU] Star Fox Zero + Star Fox Guard Double Pack <STG> (Nintendo)
04./04. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo)
05./07. [PSV] Kyoukai no Shirayuki <ADV> (Idea Factory)

Rakuten Books Other Ranking (2016.07.07)

01./00. [WiiU] Wii U Splatoon Set (Callie + Marie amiibo) <BUN> (Nintendo)
02./00. [WiiU] Marie amiibo (Splatoon Series) <ETC> (Nintendo)
03./00. [WiiU] Callie amiibo (Splatoon Series) <ETC> (Nintendo)
04./00. [WiiU] Splatoon amiibo 3-Pack (Girl + Boy + Squid amiibo [Alternate Colors]) (Splatoon Series) <ETC> (Nintendo)
05./00. [WiiU] Splatoon amiibo 2-Pack (Callie + Marie amiibo) (Splatoon Series) <ETC> (Nintendo)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten. Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Games Ranking.
** Note 2: Games on the Other Games Ranking include discounted games and games that do not chart on the official sales trackers. Products on the Other Ranking include consoles or any other hardware sold on the Rakuten Books Rankings.

hiska-kun

So, it seems that Culdcept won't underperform after all. According to the blog it will sell similar than the previous entry.

gtj1092

I could be mistaken but hasn't SE increased their profits by double digit percentage gains the last two years. I don't understand the premise that they are being horribly run. What is this idea based on. Maybe they aren't the best run company but their turn around plan seems to be working. No company had every game being a massive hit and some games will bomb no matter what. I just don't get the constant scrutiny of their moves.

Nippon Ichi has announced that shipments for Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain have surpassed 50,000 units: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201607/08110447.html

Wonder if that's including some strong digital due to first week shortages.

Still, game seems to be doing well for them. From what I can tell it's their highest-selling non-Disgaea-port game on Vita so far (at least until we get full figures for Yomawari). It's also probably the game they've put the most effort in on the console.

Who'da thought, eh?

Mario007

I could be mistaken but hasn't SE increased their profits by double digit percentage gains the last two years. I don't understand the premise that they are being horribly run. What is this idea based on. Maybe they aren't the best run company but their turn around plan seems to be working. No company had every game being a massive hit and some games will bomb no matter what. I just don't get the constant scrutiny of their moves.
Well they're badly run because they dont release their game on the 3ds and havent announced ports of all ps4 games for the NX.

s

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./00. [PSV] Zettai Kaikyuu Gakuen: Eden with Roses and Phantasm <ADV> (Prototype) {2016.06.30} (¥6.400)
22./21. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥4.990)
23./00. [PS4] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.06.30} (¥5.800)
24./13. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥7.800)
25./23. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571)
26./22. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
27./16. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥6.800)
28./19. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi <SLG> (Level 5) {2016.04.02} (¥4.600)
29./24. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
30./26. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥6.980)
31./25. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥7.980)
32./08. [PS4] Umbrella Corps <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.06.23} (¥5.990)
33./20. [PS4] The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.06.23} (¥2.800)
34./31. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800)
35./29. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
36./34. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
37./00. [PSV] The Walking Dead: Season Two - A Telltale Games Series <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.06.30} (¥4.800)
38./00. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma Online: Season 2 <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.06.30} (¥7.800)
39./35. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
40./27. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2016.05.10} (¥7.900)
41./30. [PS4] UEFA EURO 2016: Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.21} (¥3.800)
42./39. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.200)
43./32. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
44./28. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.24} (¥5.250)
45./33. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2016.05.26} (¥6.800)
46./38. [PS4] Dark Souls III <RPG> (From Software) {2016.03.24} (¥7.430)
47./44. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
48./42. [3DS] Tomodachi Life [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700)
49./47. [3DS] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2016.04.21} (¥3.800)
50./45. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.000)

Top 50

3DS - 16
PS4 - 16
PSV - 8
WIU - 6
PS3 - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    405.000 |    419.000 |    359.000 | 13.800.000 | 16.159.000 |

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're by far having the most successful run in their entire corporate history, including the entire lifetimes of both Square and Enix prior.

My assessment of select parts of their HD games division would be very different than my assessment of the company as a whole.

Mind, I'm not one of the people who thinks that they should be pumping out 3DS or NX games so much as questioning why they're even bothering with some of the types of products they're making at all, even if I intend to buy some of said products like Nier. There's just basically no worthwhile upside on these games even in the best case scenarios.

I can even understand the Japanese eSports push more easily, since while the industry doesn't exist, at least Square Enix owns the category in the scenario they get it to take off.

That's why I posited that they're effectively hoping to surface the next Dark Souls, Naruto, or Dragon Ball, where they find a moderate budget Japanese title that really hits it out of the park in the West and then increase investment from there without having to lose their shirt if the game gues awry, but as time marches on, I feel that's progressively harder to do at the budgets they're giving titles. Two of the three titles I listed did this in the early to mid 360 era, when things were more open, and the other is online centric, which basically none of Square Enix's attempts are. The games I listed also aren't all straightforward revivals of older titles, but things that fit their era.

EA is also a wildly successful company, but I think investing $30+ million a year on NBA Live on console is a bad idea. They finally found a very profitable home for the series on mobile, so I think they should consider dumping the dead weight game the same way they're normally willing to.

While I've commented on it in the past since it keeps getting brought up, Bravely Default is a z-tier irrelevant series for Square Enix's bottom line and if they released a 30 minute video of Square Enix staff pissing on its logo in succession it would have zero impact on my assessment of the company.

Vena

Well they're badly run because they dont release their game on the 3ds and havent announced ports of all ps4 games for the NX.

s

To be clear I haven't said either of these things, I am looking more at how they are simply burning through their mid-tier IP with bad budgets, half-baked products and just going through IP like a grain mill. They've made up their mind on how they want to position their products and where they want to position them even if some of them (specifically those aimed, seemingly at children) are misplaced in their targets. But they also have other major problems such as making a Minecraft clone without multiplayer... I consider actions like this short-sighted.

They can still be profitable because of other ventures as Nirolak noted.

About Square Enix, which did their best fiscal year since 2003 / 2004, it's important to note that their record sales and net income were due to growth from HD games and MMOs as much as mobile (page 21). They are winning in every front these times and to me they are by far the best japanese company for some years now. Which may not be an incredible achievement considering the state of the others (excepted Nintendo).

[PS4] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.800) - 60-70% selling better than expected

I wonder what was expected in the first place. I'm pretty sure Bandai Namco didn't upload a single CM or trailer for the PS4 version. The game was quietly mentioned to come on PS4 some months ago and that's it. It's strange, you could think they want to get rid of Zestiria because of the Alisha shitstorm, but on the other hand their anime release is an adaptation of Sorey and friends. Anyway, the game is ranking very low on Amazon as expected.

Nippon Ichi has announced that shipments for Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain have surpassed 50,000 units: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201607/08110447.html

And that game continue to beast on Amazon, with excellent reviews also. This and Caligula were some really good niche surprises I wasn't expecting at all.

L~A

Some comments I've been meaning to make...

About Zero Time Dilemma, sales are pretty much what I expected (including the platform split). But as several people already mentioned, ZTD wouldn't even exist if not for western fans, and SC clearly focus on that (hell, the game wasn't even officially announced for Japan until March iirc).

Even Virtue's Last Reward happened in great part thanks to the great sales overseas, though the difference with ZTD is that at that time, SC still thought the series could become successful in Japan. That's why they tried to appeal to the Japanese audience by removing the gore/horror stuff, put full VA, increased production values, increased the number of platforms. Unfortunately, it didn't really work for them, so... yeah. The writing was on the wall for ZTD.

From my point of view, ZTD was only greenlit with certain conditions:

- game would have the most shoestring of shoestring budgets
- PC port to try and tap in the PC market (now that didn't really work out, now, did it?)
- trying to "recoup costs" with the 999 and VLR port (cheap to make)

The problem with overseas sales is that SC has to share revenue with another publisher (Aksys Games). So even if sales are better, they also make less money with each unit sold.

I'm honestly not too worried about ZTD, but yeah, I don't think another entry is likely at this point.

About Splatoon, Nintendo announced that the very last Splatfest would take place later this month. Truly the end of "content" for Splatoon, which means we should be seeing a noticeable drop in sales after summer holidays (more than last year during the same period). Of course there'll be the Splatoon Koshien, but no more in-game content. All devs (except maybe a couple for possible remining bug/balance fixes, and that's it) are now doing... who knows.

That's much earlier than I expected (was personally expecting them to keep doing those until the end of the year). Does that mean they're now working for Splatoon 2 at NX launch? Who knows. Splatoon 2 is most definitely in development, that's for sure, and will be out before the end of 2017.

By the way, about the Splatfest, we've seen stores actually promoting the thing. Don't think I've ever seen that for any other game (do they do that for events in DQX or FFXIV? Not counting massive updates that gets retail release, of course).

Finally, June edition of the Leg-o-meter:

Aters

To be clear I haven't said either of these things, I am looking more at how they are simply burning through their mid-tier IP with bad budgets, half-baked products and just going through IP like a grain mill. They've made up their mind on how they want to position their products and where they want to position them even if some of them (specifically those aimed, seemingly at children) are misplaced in their targets. But they also have other major problems such as making a Minecraft clone without multiplayer... I consider actions like this short-sighted.

They can still be profitable because of other ventures as Nirolak noted.

I consider DQB a fun game and a financial success. Yeah they may make more money by adding a multiplayer, but right now can we just enjoy a solid Dragon Quest game that plays like Minecraft? It's a well received title and it sells well. Let's just leave it as that. No need to dig into "how better it could have been".

Hey about ZTD, it's worth noting that the game ranked #3 in the EU PS Vita Store in June and #9 in the US PS Vita Store (where there is a retail version, unlike EU).

Even if I completely agree with this, I still feel that there will be a third Bravely game, mainly thanks to Nintendo (like a Bayonetta 2 deal if you will).
Bravely Second ended with a clear sequel hook and some unresolved story lines.
If there is no Bravely Third I would be very disappointed /can't sleep at night.

Nintendo/SE plz, don't tease a story continuation and abandon it like this.

- PC port to try and tap in the PC market (now that didn't really work out, now, did it?)

It's not a disaster, but I don't really think it's done what they wanted and that's very much down to 999 & VLR being missing from Steam, which was a really silly move imo.

Oregano

It's not a disaster, but I don't really think it's done what they wanted and that's very much down to 999 & VLR being missing from Steam, which was a really silly move imo.

I think it's too early to say. The appeal of PC and Mobile(and other digital marketplaces) is the enhanced ability to have sales over a longer period of time. Especially for games like the Zero Escape series who won't have abundant stock on store shelves.

hiska-kun

Here some graph's comparisons.

Media Create Total Software Accumulated
total_zpsfjztlui7.jpg

*I included week 53 of 2015 as a 2016 week, just to have the same number of weeks compared each year. Without that week, things are worse for 2016

Mario & Sonic At the Olympic Games
olimpic_zpsfyskgmxz.jpg

Regarding M&S, the London version left the ranking after 17 weeks and never charted again. It sold 241k in Total. The Rio version had a similar start but underperformed from week 10. Still, it managed to stay in the Top 20 more weeks, and it's definetely now selling in a faster pace than the past entry. With the Olympic games happening next month, legs should continue the following weeks, meaning that the game could even reach the 300k.
It's also worth to note that in 2012 there wasn't a home console version. This time there's a Wii U version that might pass the 100k barrier as well.
Combining versions it might sell ~400k when all is said and done.

Taiko no Tatsujin: Vita VS 3DS
taiko_zpsgatlkno0.jpg

As I said before, this was probably a fun comparison. The 3DS game might eventually outsell the Vita version, but until that happens this comparison works. The LTD for the Vita version is close to 150k, the 3DS might sell >200k.

The Witcher VS Overwatch
overwatch_zpsufge4rtx.jpg

**Please note that this graph is weekly and NOT accumulated sales.

This comparison might seem inrelated. But there are some common factors, for example both games are western and were released during the same period of time (end of May). And both games are showing legs. The Witcher 3 ended up selling 165k at retail.
Since Overwatch is holding better, it might crack 200k??

cheesekao

I think it's too early to say. The appeal of PC and Mobile(and other digital marketplaces) is the enhanced ability to have sales over a longer period of time. Especially for games like the Zero Escape series who won't have abundant stock on store shelves.
I wonder where the notion that most games on consoles don't sell over time(outside of Japan at least) came from because there has never been any extensive research to support that claim for games on consoles in general.

Rolf NB

I wonder where the notion that most games on consoles don't sell over time(outside of Japan at least) came from because there has never been any extensive research to support that claim for games on consoles in general.
I'm not aware of published research, but performance of the used physical game sales businesses makes it seem plausible.

This is the third Taiko game for the 3DS though, so I don't quite understand the comparison, especially with the franchise on going decline, no matter where they release it.

Shin-chan

I think with the rise of digital in the console markets (in the west at least) the distinction will become less apparent over time. Legs on PC are usually attributed to high volume low price purchases during sales, as you can make your title visible at various price points throughout the products life without any additional cost to yourself as the publisher. The sales on the PSN and Live are getting more and more comparable with Steam, if not in quantity yet then in the level of discounts offered. This will contribute towards long tail sales of titles and should eventually make the distinction between them and PC (in this respect) less pronounced.

This is the third Taiko game for the 3DS though, so I don't quite understand the comparison, especially with the franchise on going decline, no matter where they release it.

but... but... the userbase is on 3DS, that's the reason it was selling bad on Vita

the problem is so simple, Taiko in on the market since the beginning of this century, after 15 years it's obvious people is getting tired to play the same game year after year (same as Super Robot Taisen, this one is on the market since the beginning of the 90's, lol)
look at DDR, it was so popular in the mid-90's but after a release (or double release) every year people got bored
WE ? same boat

Oregano

Do you mean at physical retail or now on their download stores? Consoles games absolutely can sell over a long period but I think 999 on the DS outlines perfectly the challenges they can face. Your game can't sell if you can't make it available, 999 had to be reprinted several times which is a costly process but it wasn't available all the time and it wasn't available in some of the most prominent places people sell games.(not to mention it wasn't officially released in Europe at all).

By being present on digital storefronts(Steam,PSN,eShop) the sequels are readily available and can be discounted without major risk and they'll also continue to be available in five years times which physical games often aren't.

Top Bottom