• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

While I understand that I shouldn't underestimate the selling power of a Mario game. I have a hard time imagine myself 3D World being a huge system seller. Especially since the Japanese audience prefers the 2D versions of Mario and there is already one, NSMBU, on the WiiU. So I guess the hardcore Mario fans already have bought a WiiU.

Do you know how well 3D Land sold - especially in Japan? And that was without local multiplayer.

You're confusing your own disappointment with how the market will react to a product.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
While I understand that I shouldn't underestimate the selling power of a Mario game. I have a hard time imagine myself 3D World being a huge system seller. Especially since the Japanese audience prefers the 2D versions of Mario and there is already one, NSMBU, on the WiiU. So I guess the hardcore Mario fans already have bought a WiiU.

This one is being geared towards actually selling to that 2d but dont touch 3d Mario audience. Thats also why Mario 3D Land saw a whole lot more success. Its the unholy fusion of NSMB and 3D Mario, and pure 3D Mario fans are the ones that pay the price for commercial gains :(

As such it will drive systems and I have to believe, I have to, Nintendo will have price dropped globally by that point also.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

That last bolded sentence was ridiculous. While NSMB has typically sold at a 2:1 ratio over 3D Mario, the timing of NSMB was an assassination really. It's almost an anomaly at this point. 3D Mario will probably be the first Wii U game with some momentum and decent chance of being a million seller in Japan.

Madouu

Considering the reporting period is two days only, I think these figures would be more reasonable:

Wii U : 23k
Pikmin 3 : 95k

20k,25k,30k doesn't say that much about the future of the console so saying it's doomed if it doesn't reach a certain arbitrary threshold in one MC charts doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion, the same goes for saying that it can suddenly become a success. What will really matter is the kind of momentum it will carry into the following weeks and what kind of numbers it will achieve then and towards the end of the year. Right now, the wii u is in a shitty situation and even if it reaches 50k in two days thanks to Pikmin 3 then falls back right after to the levels it was at, it will remain in the same bad spot. The following week numbers will be more telling as well as the performance of future software compared to Pikmin 3.

Frodo

I guess the thing about Mario 3D World is that it is going to have no competition from other home consoles in Japan during the holidays, since PS4 and Xbox180 will only release there in 2014... I guess that might help Wii U, even if a little bit, during this year.

DrWong

My rating scale for hardware sales:

+40K = very good
30/40K = good
20/30K = ok
10/20K = bad
0/10K = very bad

Prediction:

Wii U: 40K
Pikmin 3: 130K

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Since it's only been on sale two days, wouldn't next week be even more interesting?

Pikmin isn't one of them.

Are we bargaining already?

I know Pikmin is a slow burn like most other Nintendo games, with long legs. It'd be great to know how much of it is front loaded though. These 2 tracking days for the week would be great to display those statistics for the game.

L Thammy

Are we bargaining already?

I know Pikmin is a slow burn like most other Nintendo games, with long legs. It'd be great to know how much of it is front loaded though. These 2 tracking days for the week would be great to display those statistics for the game.

usually the argument for low first day sales is wait for the weekend, pikmin is releasing on the weekend

I misread Pieatorium's post as getting the majority of sales on the first week, not getting the majority of first week sales on the first day. I actually agree with you both.

I just clicked through every Media Create thread for the year, and besides Week 1 when both Wii U and PS3 did ~64K, home consoles in Japan haven't done too hot.

We've got one week of the PS3 ~25K, two or three times the PS3 hit 23K and one for Wii U, and the rest has been mostly sub 20K, no matter what is hitting shelves.

DaBoss

Ehh, I already my position on the matter. My only expectation is that it is going to be above 20K.

Already know it is going to do terrible after this week, so nothing to really care about.

DrWong

Ehh, I already my position on the matter. My only expectation is that it is going to be above 20K.

Already know it is going to do terrible after this week, so nothing to really care about.

I know it's going to decrease after this week bump but I'm not sure about its baseline: will it come-back to sub 10K/week, between 10K & 20K or higher? That's the 100$ question...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Last second prediction- Pikmin 3 130k, Wii U hardware 36k.

DaBoss

I know it's going to decrease after this week bump but I'm not sure about its baseline: will it come-back to sub 10K/week, between 10K & 20K or higher? That's the 100$ question...

Nintendo literally did nothing for months for the Wii U and did nothing in terms of marketing outside of their Nintendo DIrects. It won't go back to those 5K-7K numbers I think. Will probably just hang around the 10K number.

Pikmin 3 - 102,188
Wii U - 20,728

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71037216&postcount=697

iOuRdVrxe54uK.gif

Bruno MB

Pikmin 3 - 102.188
Youkai Watch - 52.901
New Super Luigi U - 27.312

Earth Defense Force 2025 - 38.375 / 166.138
Toukiden (PSV) - 17.652 / 182.736

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No way to spin it. 20k is a fucking disaster. Its really over.

Top Bottom