• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2016 (Jul 11 - Jul 17)

cheesekao

No, whether or not selling 40k is enough to satisfy Falcom is a reasonable question. Ys 8 seems to be a bigger game than Celceta and it also seems to have a higher focus on story, presumably in order to appeal more to Falcom's Trails audience. Is selling on par with Celceta enough with that in mind? Or was Falcom hoping for considerable growth?

I love the Ys series and I definitely don't want 8 to be an underperformer, but looking how even Tokyo Xanadu sold double as much in its FW, I do wonder what the future of Ys is. At this point, it feels like it's a series they keep due to tradition and not because of its success (at least looking at its domestic market).
Whenever the PS4 version releases it should handily beat Celceta's FW.

mao2

No, whether or not selling 40k is enough to satisfy Falcom is a reasonable question. Ys 8 seems to be a bigger game than Celceta and it also seems to have a higher focus on story, presumably in order to appeal more to Falcom's Trails audience. Is selling on par with Celceta enough with that in mind? Or was Falcom hoping for considerable growth?

I love the Ys series and I definitely don't want 8 to be an underperformer, but looking how even Tokyo Xanadu sold double as much in its FW, I do wonder what the future of Ys is. At this point, it feels like it's a series they keep due to tradition and not because of its success (at least looking at its domestic market).
No no non. I am saying it does not underperformed now. I am just saying that whether Falcom feel that the higher budget they provide for this new title is a worthy investment or not.

If even with the higher budget, the number sold is more or less the same as last one, should not they just focus more on Xanadu which perform much better last time?
My apologies, sorry for the misunderstanding. AFAIK Ys: Memories of Celceta did well on both Vita and PC according to Falcom themselves. I doubt they will abandon this series unless it totally flops. As for Ys VIII, there's still the PS4 version coming out next year. I don't expect it to do miracles, but I think some fans may have skipped the Vita version in favor of PS4 version after seeing Tokyo Xanadu eX+ which has additional story and other contents included.

Yasumi

Banned
Whenever the PS4 version releases it should handily beat Celceta's FW.
It's going to be an old game by then, and most people interested will have already played the Vita version. For a comparable release, Project Diva X PS4 is coming out soon, and it's not looking good sales-wise.

MacTag

Banned
Does that mean that things will be the other way too? Easy conversion from NX to PS4?
Porting from lower to higher spec is often easier. We already saw plenty of 3DS ports to higher spec consoles due to this (RE Revelations, EX Troopers, MH3U, One Piece Red, etc).

Man, first you say "40k looks like it underperformed", then when proven wrong your reply is "it seems that it had bigger budget vs the last one". You just want to paint a bleak picture, don't you?
I think Ys VIII did fine but it is worth keeping in mind that Celceta was a remake using the Ys VII engine. If SunMoon sold the same as ORAS first week I'm sure people would question it's performance.

hongcha

No no non. I am saying it does not underperformed now. I am just saying that whether Falcom feel that the higher budget they provide for this new title is a worthy investment or not.

If even with the higher budget, the number sold is more or less the same as last one, should not they just focus more on Xanadu which perform much better last time?

They also have a PS4 version coming next year that should sell well internationally. Overall I'm sure they'll make more money off this game than Celceta. More digital sales too, I bet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think the important thing here is that NX is a japanese 100% oriented machine since I don't see any incentive to buy it overseas (I mean not Nintendo fans crowd) since I don't see any western AAA game ported to this thing (too complicated to make it run on it when Neo and Scorpio launches or from PS4/XB1 with a lot of compromises).

I forgot to say that it will be very important the price for this machine since PS4 and XB1 will be 199/249 or so when it launches.

mpl90, i was right or not? :p

No, you weren't, because this thing has a dock station, and detachable controllers, and it's a very powerful handheld after all. Not just a handheld with a mere HDMI out. You lose, ah!

Aaah, who am I kidding.

eating-crow.gif

Not direct experience like back in Wii U times, but damn if you still don't deserve that tag. Now, leave me alone: I'm not that willing to eat this crow if someone's watch-EHY! STAY THERE, CROW!

Top Bottom