• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

DrWong

he did not say "the DQ fanbase", he said "a notable part of the DQ fanbase". The meaning is very straightforward.
Yes I got that but it means the same in the end in context ("why it's selling better" was the question) and has to be confirmed by ltd. I'm not sure ltd will reflect the "notable part of the fanbase is on PS4".

Reality:

3DS active player base transitions to, if not already part of, Switch/PS4/Mobile
3DS has 2 DQ remakes
The last DQ mainline entry was DQ9, on the DS.
PS4 version therefore has a more "fresh" feeling to it, also looks better
PS4 has bigger boobs
At the end of the day, better looking waifus will win.
and boobs. Boobs alwaya win.

Fdkn

Yes I got that but it means the same in the end and has to be confirmed by ltd. I'm not sure ltd will reflect the "majority of the fanbase is on PS4".

notable does not mean majority, so I don't get why you are so insistent on comparing LTDs. the 3DS version could sell 2x the PS4 one and the PS4 would have still attracted a notable part of the audience.

Wait....do people think that the PS4 DQXI version will outsell the 3DS release in lifetime sales now ? I still dont think thats likely, always expected a stronger FW for PS4 relative to the lifetime sales on both systems.

I think no one said PS4 will be the best selling version

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait....do people think that the PS4 DQXI version will outsell the 3DS release in lifetime sales now ? I still dont think thats likely, always expected a stronger FW for PS4 relative to the lifetime sales on both systems.

L~A

out of curiosity, in case somebody here has some insight...

are there people that are DQ-only gamers in Japan?

I have a couple of friends that play nothing else (literally, not figuratively) than FIFA or Call of Duty. This spanish friend of mine got FIFA (2008? dunno) with a PS3 when he was 15 for his birthday and has always been a huge football fan. he says he has never bought a game outside of the FIFA series. He will buy a PS4 only when FIFA stops appearing or being supported on PS3.

those have yearly iterations though so it's not hard to keep the excitment going.

I don't think they're going to stop making FIFA on PS3 any time soon, so I wouldn't be surprised if your friend ends up skipping PS4 altogether, ha ha.

Tratorn

Yes I got that but it means the same in the end in context ("why it's selling better" was the question) and has to be confirmed by ltd. I'm not sure ltd will reflect the "notable part of the fanbase is on PS4".

If DQXI sells 1m+ on PS4, it is of course a notable part. "Notable" does not mean "the biggest".
Unless you expect the game to sell like 5m or so on 3DS alone in its lifetime, then maybe you could argue that 1m isn't "notable".

edit: Oh, just realized Fdkn practically said the same already.

DrWong

notable does not mean majority, so I don't get why you are so insistent on comparing LTDs. the 3DS version could sell 2x the PS4 one and the PS4 would have still attracted a notable part of the audience.

I think no one said PS4 will be the best selling version
Oh my bad! In context (the question was why PS4 is the best selling version) I understood that as "notable=majority". My English skills failed me again.

KtSlime

out of curiosity, in case somebody here has some insight...

are there people that are DQ-only gamers in Japan?

I have a couple of friends that play nothing else (literally, not figuratively) than FIFA or Call of Duty. This spanish friend of mine got FIFA (2008? dunno) with a PS3 when he was 15 for his birthday and has always been a huge football fan. he says he has never bought a game outside of the FIFA series. He will buy a PS4 only when FIFA stops appearing or being supported on PS3.

those have yearly iterations though so it's not hard to keep the excitment going.

Yes. I have known several people over the years who have bought a console and DQ when it come out and either don't touch the console after, or sell it. I had a bit of a weird feeling when reading about the "DQ (fan)base" just now, because it is a bit like reading "the Disney fanbase" or something, DQ is one of the least hardcore games, and pretty much everyone under the age of 50 has either played it, seen it be played, or knows someone who has played it.

Edit: I know everyone already knows how big Splatoon is here, but I thought I should mention, my local *used* book store which only sell used books/games/comics/consoles, is selling new (新品) copies of Splatoon 2.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I'm way out of the loop, but the Vita is outselling the PS4 by a million units? :O

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
700k units is not a million

1) it's called "rounding up"

and Vita was released over 2 years earlier than PS4 (Vita december 2011, PS4 february 2014).

2) The fact that it had any lead up until this point consideering the PS4 has been out for more than THREE years is still shocking to say the least.

The shipment for last week is completely irrelevant if shipment numbers go straight back to the level of previous weeks. It doesn't matters if Nintendo shipped 50k, 100k or even 150k if numbers go right back to sub-30k a week later.

you got the point, what's important is not shipment for w1 but for the following weeks
And I think that they won't go back to 25k but 35-40k.

Obon is coming

1) it's called "rounding up"

2) The fact that it had any lead up until this point consideering the PS4 has been out for more than THREE years is still shocking to say the least.
You realize that Vita is successor to console that sold over 20 million units in Japan and PS4 is successor to console that sold about 10.5 million? Only shocking thing about those numbers is how big flop Vita was in Japan compared to its predecessor.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder if the succes of Splatoon 2 will mean more hologram concert(s) with the idols lol. with both the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook now for some variation.

While i first found it look cringey it is kinda neat in a way to have fictional characters perform irl.

L~A

If you thought Soldam being brought back from the dead was strange, what about this? Penguin Wars is getting a remake on Nintendo Switch, out this fall (most likely eShop title). Yes, the Arcade game from 1985.

http://gamestalk.net/post-82759/

inb4 some less than reputable websites spin that as "Popular Wars game getting remake on Nintendo Switch", ha ha.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't think this thread can take another day without numbers.

Anyways, I know what the blog is saying, but I would still be shocked if Nintendo pushed out less units for Splatoon 2 than MK8. But I guess we'll see.

Lmao no mathematician would round up a figure of 700k and call it 1 million. Why introduce an absurd amount of round up error willingly.

Depends on how big the numbers we are dealing with are actually.

But in this situation it's so extremely dumb. Talking about console sales 300k can be months worth of difference in sales. By no logic does it make sense in the context of the discussion.

Can we round every game that sold 700k up to 1 million too while we're at it?

D.Lo

Oh jebus leave him alone. Go back a few months and Vita was (presumably) a million ahead anyway. From an outside perspective it's going to surprise newcomers with what's happening in Japan where the PS4 only overtook the Wii U a few months ago and is still well behind the Vita.

Oh jebus leave him alone. Go back a few months and Vita was (presumably) a million ahead anyway. From an outside perspective it's going to surprise newcomers with what's happening in Japan where the PS4 only overtook the Wii U a few months ago and is still well behind the Vita.

I don't think the issue was that he thought the difference was a million, but rather when corrected he said "it's called rounding up" lol

Regardless, I think people are just having fun with it. At least I am.

L~A

Wow no PR statement from Nintendo. Splatoon 2 must've flopped big time! -.-

After Crash outsold it in the UK, the entire dev team committed sudoku. There will be an enigmatology service in Kyoto on Thursday. That's why they've been silent, it's just a way for them to respect the spirit of the devs.

Fularu

Banned
In the case of PS4 vs Vita it may as well be a million for all intents and purposes. Sure one day the PS4 will pass the Vita's ltd sales but all it will do is speak volumes about how much of a trainwreck both were.

And that's with them getting the lion's share of third party support.

After Crash outsold it in the UK, the entire dev team committed sudoku. There will be an enigmatology service in Kyoto on Thursday. That's why they've been silent, it's just a way for them to respect the spirit of the devs.
So they sat down and played some very hard 9x9 grids? :p

Is that a meme or are people confusing sudoku and seppuku? :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think this thread can take another day without numbers.

Anyways, I know what the blog is saying, but I would still be shocked if Nintendo pushed out less units for Splatoon 2 than MK8. But I guess we'll see.

Actually, I wanted a clarification on this, because crinale and hiska-kun's reports from the blog are a bit different

Edit: The usual blog guy is stating that from what he observed Switch supply increased.. for the amount of bundles only though. We must estimate how many bundles Ninty kept for release I guess.
Also, from what he has written I felt he's trying to imply extremely high software number and a bit lower hardware number.
He also has been saying lol to "artificial shortage" bullshit.

The blogger seems teasing a very big (or even huge) attach rate for Splatoon 2.
He also notes that hardware was still limited and the only additional units came from the Splatoon 2 Bundle.

He expects this situation to continue until the end of the year, and he notes as well the chance loss of the Summer Holidays. Children have time snd want to play.

Edit: was already posted by crinale

The first one sounds like what he noticed for his own shops / other shops, while the other seems a bit more general, thus a bit more like the usual leak that happens a few hours before it's officially released. So, I wanted to understand if it's the former or the latter. The former potentially already happened back when he posted that list of Switch pre-launch games ranked by initial shipment 's sell-through IIRC, that's why I'm asking.

L~A

In the case of PS4 vs Vita it may as well be a million for all intents and purposes. Sure one day the PS4 will pass the Vita's ltd sales but all it will do is speak volumes about how much of a trainwreck both were.

So they sat down and played some very hard 9x9 grids? :p

Is that a meme or are people confusing sudoku and seppuku? :p

I think the rest of the sentence is clear enough :p

I'm not sure if it's a meme, but purposefully writing sudoku instead of seppuku is definitely common... probably making a joke about suicide is, in 99.9% of cases, pretty tasteless.

By the way, looks like we're going to get some announcement for that HD Rumble Senran Kagura "game":

DFlfGO8UAAETwT8.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/AweOfShe/status/889846965340590080

A while ago, a similar channel popped up for NicoNico, and a few days later, the app was announced.

How is the PS4 a trainwreck ?
PS4 is doing just find unless you think PS2 days were coming back .
Which just means you were crazy .

Y'all need to stop arguing over this stuff it's already overdone as is. Talk about something that doesn't make yall sounds mad or something.
Anyway, my prediction for Splatoon 2
Is 825k S2 and 110k Switch.

Mory Dunz

A direct would be nice, but would it be the big fall direct? Might be too early.

But maybe Platinum could announce a port, and more info for a smalelr 2018 game or two such as Project Octopath

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Actually, I wanted a clarification on this, because crinale and hiska-kun's reports from the blog are a bit different.
Media Create sent to subscribers last week's early mini report today and according to the blog standalone Switch consoles are similar to the week before (~30k) with the rest of hardware being Splatoon 2 bundles.

-Setsuna-

I'm surprised Sony haven't announced a Vita successor considering it has sold 10 million.
15, actually. Still ridiculous for a handheld.

Most likely a Nintendo Direct coming this week.
It would be quite surprising to have a proper ND in the middle of summer. Late august/early september seems more likely.

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/889702969721016320
Is ranking 87th in whatever chart he posted.
Edit: This is for the mobile game.
Boku no Natsuyasumi will be Sony's savior.
Mark my words.

Top Bottom